HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are playoffs still makeable?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2013, 12:22 AM
  #301
Joey Moss
Registered User
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 22,178
vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
We have to beat the Sharks on Wednesday.
In regulation especially. This is time for Krueger to prove himself. If the boys come out with no effort as we've seen in the past there will be problems. Absolute must win, and the team needs to play like it.

Joey Moss is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 12:24 AM
  #302
Daryl Katz Fan Club*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
For an F-student working their way up, a C- is a happy day. It doesn't mean the team is happy with C- forever. Pittsburgh did back-lips in 07, Chicago in 09 - just for getting in.

Then there's the fresh start of playoffs. Last year the eighth place Western Conference team beat the sixth placed Eastern conference team for the Stanley Cup. It's possible both those teams miss the playoffs this year.
If the teacher of an F student gives him some extra credit work, and he gets a leg up on the competition in this way, it doesn't change his work habits. It doesn't change his attitude. He is still an F student, and will not be a stable A student until he changes his way of thinking. That extra credit could be a hot goaltender, a few good prospects, in the end your team's loser ways will corrupt that winner into a loser.

Brian Burke was right, there is no Pittsburgh model. However, there is the "Mario Lemieux owning your team and babysitting your young players into turning into winners" model. There is the Detroit Model, or the "Scotty Bowman teaching a young Steve Yzerman how to forget about scoring a hundred points and do the things it takes to win" model.

Daryl Katz Fan Club* is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 12:25 AM
  #303
Senor Catface
Registered User
 
Senor Catface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Nepal
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
This whole grading thing is a terrible analogy.

Senor Catface is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 12:28 AM
  #304
The Bored Man
#94
 
The Bored Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,395
vCash: 537
So...are we we the teachers? Or the disappointed parents? Are there standardized tests involved? Is Brown the kid who wears leather jackets and crushes cans with his forehead?

The Bored Man is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 12:33 AM
  #305
Daryl Katz Fan Club*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
So...are we we the teachers? Or the disappointed parents? Are there standardized tests involved? Is Brown the kid who wears leather jackets and crushes cans with his forehead?
We're the businesses hiring these delinquents. We are the McDonalds of the hockey fan world. High school dropouts come to work for us, and no matter what we pay them, they still can't flip a burger properly.

Detroit is JP Morgan Chase

Daryl Katz Fan Club* is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 12:36 AM
  #306
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,568
vCash: 500
The oilers are more of a creative, hands on student. They won't be able to get an A as long as the criteria forces them Into writing multiple choice tests instead of papers and projects.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 12:40 AM
  #307
Joey Moss
Registered User
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 22,178
vCash: 226
20 games left...

vs. San Jose
vs. St.Louis
@ Nashville
@ St.Louis
vs. Columbus
vs. Vancouver
vs. Calgary
@ Calgary
@ Vancouver
@ Los Angeles
@ Anaheim
vs. Phoenix
vs. Calgary
vs. Minnesota
@ Colorado
vs. Anaheim
vs. Anaheim
@ Chicago
@ Minnesota
vs. Vancouver

Bolded are the absolute have to win games as they are the one's we SHOULD win.

If we go at least 6-7 in the other games we will make the playoffs. If you lose against any of the teams you MUST win against then you gotta make up for it in a tougher schedule. That record would be 13-7 the rest of the way.

Joey Moss is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 12:45 AM
  #308
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
This whole grading thing is a terrible analogy.
Agreed and regardless a stydent getting multiple f's would be estatic to finally get a passing C its called progress.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 12:45 AM
  #309
Daryl Katz Fan Club*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
The oilers are more of a creative, hands on student. They won't be able to get an A as long as the criteria forces them Into writing multiple choice tests instead of papers and projects.
There was one Asian mother in the US who breaks down winning and losing re: raising her children in a very black and white book, where she basically does what the Oilers will never have the guts to do.

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

*edit: Referring to modern day Oilers. Of course we all know Glen Sather knew all about carrots and sticks. See: Jason Bonsignore


Last edited by Daryl Katz Fan Club*: 03-19-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Daryl Katz Fan Club* is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 12:51 AM
  #310
Baby Nilsson
Registered User
 
Baby Nilsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Katz Fan Club View Post
There was one Asian mother in the US who breaks down winning and losing re: raising her children in a very black and white book, where she basically does what the Oilers will never have the guts to do.

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
She's bat**** crazy though..

Imagine her running the team - say goodbye to risky plays


Last edited by Baby Nilsson: 03-19-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Baby Nilsson is online now  
Old
03-19-2013, 01:02 AM
  #311
tiger_80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Rental deals are picks for players or package deals for UFA stars. There really is no middle ground where rentals are worth someone like Teemu Hartikainen; it's less or more.

It actually wouldn't surprise me to see the type of buy be something like a pick for Robyn Regehr or Jordan Leopold.
It could happen if the incoming player is not a pending UFA. KInd of like when we traded Penner to LA--who at the time had an extra year on his contract.

tiger_80 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 01:03 AM
  #312
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team
 
TimeForAnOilChange's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Just Shoot Me Please
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
And we have a game in hand on Det and are only 3 points back of them in 5th. Win that game and your a point back of fifth place...



Wouldn't Columbus have the lowest ROW's?

Its crazy that Colorado, last in the conference has more regulation wins than the 8th place Sharks.
Nope, 5 pts back, not so easy to catch them now, even with a game in hand.

And as far as the ROW goes, i didnt include CBJ, because they arent making the playoffs, and as far as SJ goes, as of tonight, they are in 9th, although of course that could change, but they are the only team in the hunt that has less ROW than us, everybody else in the top 8 as of today has more than us, just sayin that if we are to get in, we have to be in 8th outright, and nobody in this thread was even talking about the tie-breaker (probably because we havent been in the playoffs in so long that people forget about the tie-breaker).

TimeForAnOilChange is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 01:05 AM
  #313
Daryl Katz Fan Club*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Nilsson View Post
She's bat**** crazy though..

Imagine her running the team - say goodbye to risky plays
You don't want risky plays. You want well thought out, novel plays.

Think back to the Eskimos under Don Matthews. We faked every second field goal, did direct snaps, double reverses, all with good conversion rates. It wasn't random "creativity" run amok. See: Ales Hemsky

Daryl Katz Fan Club* is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 01:11 AM
  #314
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post
Nope, 5 pts back, not so easy to catch them now, even with a game in hand.

And as far as the ROW goes, i didnt include CBJ, because they arent making the playoffs, and as far as SJ goes, as of tonight, they are in 9th, although of course that could change, but they are the only team in the hunt that has less ROW than us, everybody else in the top 8 as of today has more than us, just sayin that if we are to get in, we have to be in 8th outright, and nobody in this thread was even talking about the tie-breaker (probably because we havent been in the playoffs in so long that people forget about the tie-breaker).
Nope 8th its like this we win against Sharks La beats phx again tomorrow And Colorado beats Dallas wendsday we are in 8th and control our Destiny because we are 8th in percentage alone.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 01:18 AM
  #315
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,958
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
20 games left...

vs. San Jose
vs. St.Louis
@ Nashville
@ St.Louis
vs. Columbus
vs. Vancouver
vs. Calgary
@ Calgary
@ Vancouver
@ Los Angeles
@ Anaheim
vs. Phoenix
vs. Calgary
vs. Minnesota
@ Colorado
vs. Anaheim
vs. Anaheim
@ Chicago
@ Minnesota
vs. Vancouver

Bolded are the absolute have to win games as they are the one's we SHOULD win.

If we go at least 6-7 in the other games we will make the playoffs. If you lose against any of the teams you MUST win against then you gotta make up for it in a tougher schedule. That record would be 13-7 the rest of the way.

I gotta say that makes it look nearly impossible. Hard to believe they'll beat the arch nemesis Flames 3 times. I agree with others who have said Columbus is playing well... they haven't lost in regulation in their last 10 games. That's impressive for any team.. not just the supposedly junk BJ's. They can legitimately make it in if they keep that up.

San Jose, Phoenix and Colorado obviously aren't pushovers. San Jose was legitimately looking like a true Cup contender basically a month ago... Phoenix is always tough to grind out a win against and Colorado could go either way. I don't think Colorado ***** the bed against the Oilers in their own rink again... of course it could happen but I doubt it... I think they'll be out for some spoiler action by that point in the season as well.

The other "tougher games"... 3 vs the Canucks... never easy games obviously, 3 vs Anaheim... ridiculously tough to win those this year.

2 vs Wild who are getting better as the season goes on, 1 vs Chicago... forget about it... LA, same story.

2 vs the Blues are basically a lost cause.

That leaves the 1 game vs the Preds which "should" be a relatively easy game to grab 2 pts... let's hope Kostitsyn is back in the lineup for that one.

Honestly, without sounding overly pessimistic, I can't see the team realistically getting more than 20 pts in those 20 remaining games. They've been a pt below .500 on the road and a pt above .500 at home so far and I see that continuing.

If the team gets to 48 pts, that would be equivalent of 82 pts in an 82 game season... that's about the best I can see them doing at this point.

I've gotta stay pessimistic as possible as it's been working these last few games. The more I think they will **** the bed every game, the more points they manage to squeeze out.

Sharks are going to chew them up and turn them into fish-**** tomorrow.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 01:19 AM
  #316
Baby Nilsson
Registered User
 
Baby Nilsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Katz Fan Club View Post
You don't want risky plays. You want well thought out, novel plays.

Think back to the Eskimos under Don Matthews. We faked every second field goal, did direct snaps, double reverses, all with good conversion rates. It wasn't random "creativity" run amok. See: Ales Hemsky
Those are all high risk trick plays - with maybe the direct snap being the least.. so really a bad example in which you argued against yourself.

Novel plays can be inherently risky and a tiger mom thinks in a linear, rigid fashion, and would stick with only safe or old school methods.

Baby Nilsson is online now  
Old
03-19-2013, 01:24 AM
  #317
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team
 
TimeForAnOilChange's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Just Shoot Me Please
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Nope 8th its like this we win against Sharks La beats phx again tomorrow And Colorado beats Dallas wendsday we are in 8th and control our Destiny because we are 8th in percentage alone.
Wow, easy peasy eh? We just need this, that and the other thing to all happen, nothing to it.

Even if all of that happens, we still need to keep winning to stay in, which is what i was trying to say originally, we have to go on a tear and rip off 8-10 in a row because every single game in the west has at least 1 team getting 2pts, and thats not even counting all the 3pt games. Which means we are either losing ground with every Oiler loss or just keeping pace with every Oiler win.

TimeForAnOilChange is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 01:27 AM
  #318
Daryl Katz Fan Club*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Nilsson View Post
Those are all high risk trick plays - with maybe the direct snap being the least.. so really a bad example in which you argued against yourself.

Novel plays can be inherently risky and a tiger mom thinks in a linear, rigid fashion, and would stick with only safe or old school methods.
100% wrong.

Any strategy deployed by the inept is risky. Risk is judged relative to skill

The strategies which are beyond the ability of the less skilled, and are more likely to cause catastrophe in their hands, are called risky by them. For the skilled, performing these difficult manouvers regularly and successfully is how they win.

Example: Leaving Chris Pronger on the point alone on the power play.
Naysayer: Oh, it's too risky!
Pronger: I'm the man, don't worry about it
Scoreboard: 1-0 Oilers

Daryl Katz Fan Club* is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 01:29 AM
  #319
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post
Wow, easy peasy eh? We just need this, that and the other thing to all happen, nothing to it.

Even if all of that happens, we still need to keep winning to stay in, which is what i was trying to say originally, we have to go on a tear and rip off 8-10 in a row because every single game in the west has at least 1 team getting 2pts, and thats not even counting all the 3pt games. Which means we are either losing ground with every Oiler loss or just keeping pace with every Oiler win.
Sharks game is huge we win the worst case for us is 10 th alone for time being . You're making it out that we have a slim chance when in fact we are 1 or 2 wins in a row from controling our destiny, and we have more home games left than all we are chasing , its starting to look good. Of course we still need to win but the fact we can be alone in 8th with a little help come Wendseday is huge considering where we were at after 6-0 loss to Predators.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 01:34 AM
  #320
Ice Whole
Registered User
 
Ice Whole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,599
vCash: 500
The outcome in the games today were perfect for the Oilers.

Dallas beats Calgary. Rather have Dallas win because Calgary still has a game in hand and we play them 3 more times still so we control our own destiny.

LA beats Phoenix. Phoenix is only 2 points up on us and have played a game more.

Chicago beats Colorado. Chicago is a lock to make the playoffs and keeps a distance between us and Colorado.

Anaheim beats San Jose. Anaheim is a lock to make it this year as well and San Jose still holds that 8th spot while being 2 points up on us.

Minnesota beat Vancouver. The winner was going to take the divison lead. At least we can beat Vancouver sometimes.

The Oilers still have a chance but they have to keep on rolling and winning games in regulation.


Last edited by Ice Whole: 03-19-2013 at 01:54 AM. Reason: stupid autocorrect
Ice Whole is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 01:37 AM
  #321
Baby Nilsson
Registered User
 
Baby Nilsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Katz Fan Club View Post
100% wrong.

Any strategy deployed by the inept is risky. Risk is judged relative to skill

The strategies which are beyond the ability of the less skilled, and are more likely to cause catastrophe in their hands, are called risky by them. For the skilled, performing these difficult manouvers regularly and successfully is how they win.

Example: Leaving Chris Pronger on the point alone on the power play.
Naysayer: Oh, it's too risky!
Pronger: I'm the man, don't worry about it
Scoreboard: 1-0 Oilers
The risk is still there, and using Pronger as an example only suits your argument as he was one of the best defensemen in the league.

You're saying that risky plays are actually smart plays given the circumstance and the skillset of the player. But you can't tell me that a long outlet pass, a pass through several players, skating coast to coast, leaving one man on the point is less risky than say.. dumping the puck, ringing the puck along the boards or having two men set up on the blueline.

The Oilers in the 80's is a prime example of team employing high risk plays. And it's turnover rate per game was high as a result.

Baby Nilsson is online now  
Old
03-19-2013, 01:40 AM
  #322
Daryl Katz Fan Club*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Nilsson View Post
The risk is still there, and using Pronger as an example only suits your argument as he was one of the best defensemen in the league.

You're saying that risky plays are actually smart plays given the circumstance and the skillset of the player. But you can't tell me that a long outlet pass, a pass through several players, skating coast to coast, leaving one man on the point is less risky than say.. dumping the puck, ringing the puck along the boards or having two men set up on the blueline.

The Oilers in the 80's is a prime example of team employing high risk plays. And it's turnover rate per game was high as a result.
If you have a bunch of A students you teach them Calculus in high school

If you don't, I agree. You are the Edmonton Oilers. And how we suffer!

Daryl Katz Fan Club* is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 01:41 AM
  #323
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
The outcome in the games today were perfect for the Oilers.

Dallas beats Calgary. Rather have Dallas win because Calgary still has a game in hand and we play them 3 more times still so we control our own destiny.

LA beats Phoenix. Phoenix is only 2 points up on us and have played a game more.

Chicago beats Colorado. Chicago is a lock to make the playoffs and keeps a distance between us and Colorado.

Anaheim beats San Jose. Anaheim is a lock to make it this year as well and San Jose is holds that 8th spot while being 2 points up on us.

Minnesota beat Vancouver. The winner was going to take the divison lead. At least we can beat Vancouver sometimes.

The Oilers still have a chance but that have to keep on rolling and winning games in regulation.
0 loser points handed out to boot. Couldn't have worked out better. Crucial point in the season for us.

MessierII is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 01:59 AM
  #324
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post
Nope, 5 pts back, not so easy to catch them now, even with a game in hand.

And as far as the ROW goes, i didnt include CBJ, because they arent making the playoffs, and as far as SJ goes, as of tonight, they are in 9th, although of course that could change, but they are the only team in the hunt that has less ROW than us, everybody else in the top 8 as of today has more than us, just sayin that if we are to get in, we have to be in 8th outright, and nobody in this thread was even talking about the tie-breaker (probably because we havent been in the playoffs in so long that people forget about the tie-breaker).
I'd start worrying about Columbus if I were you. This team that "isn't making the playoffs" is riding the hottest goalie in the league, and is 6-0-4 in their last 10 games. Only Chicago has been better, points wise, in the West in that time. Point is, that there is still 15 teams that can make the playoffs, and the only real longshot right now is Colorado.

zeus3007* is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 02:06 AM
  #325
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post
Wow, easy peasy eh? We just need this, that and the other thing to all happen, nothing to it.

Even if all of that happens, we still need to keep winning to stay in, which is what i was trying to say originally, we have to go on a tear and rip off 8-10 in a row because every single game in the west has at least 1 team getting 2pts, and thats not even counting all the 3pt games. Which means we are either losing ground with every Oiler loss or just keeping pace with every Oiler win.
If we rip off 8 - 10 in a row, we'll be leading the Northwest and in the playoffs by a hefty margin. As weird as it sounds, of the teams sitting from 6th - 14th, only two were better over the last 10 games. One (Dallas) had the same number of points. It isn't going to take something crazy like winning 8 games in a row. If we can get 10 points in our next 10 games we're holding ground. Holding our ground isn't good enough though, 6 or 7 wins in our next 10, and we'll be in the top 8 at that point, unless a few teams ahead of us go on a tear.

zeus3007* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.