HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Do you have a bone in your body that can root for your team to tank?

View Poll Results: Do you have a bone in your body that can root for your team to tank?
Yes, I can root for them to tank 45 50.00%
No, it invalidates every fiber of my fandom 45 50.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-19-2013, 02:20 AM
Qyburn

vCash: 500
Do you have a bone in your body that can root for your team to tank?

My answer is no. It's just not a way I can conceivably spend three hours of my time: watching a game and actually rooting against my team.

Maybe some people can do that? I don't think I'd be particularly judgmental of them if it was only for a few games in a shortened and ****** season.

Elephant in the room: "The Pens Did It". It wouldn't be the same as what the Pittsburgh Penguins did, because it would only be for one season.

Still I'm very curious to see the results because I just can't imagine attempting to squeeze enjoyment out of one hundred and eighty minutes of my time before going to bed and going back in to work the next day, with this kind of philosophy. I think it just goes against my nature or something.

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:36 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
I will never root for them to tank.. but there comes a point where losses don't effect me anymore. Flyers are at that point now, I am just kinda, meh, another loss.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:41 AM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I will never root for them to tank.. but there comes a point where losses don't effect me anymore. Flyers are at that point now, I am just kinda, meh, another loss.
I'm in this camp. Sucks losing, but like you said at a certain point it's like, "whatever", for me.

litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:44 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Agreed. Is this the second or the third stage of grief?

OzFlyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:53 AM
BillDineen

All I am looking forward to is the draft. I do want them to be realistic at this point and be sellers.

All I care about is the next cup. It is not happening this year. I want them to have the best team possible for next season. This is the best draft in a while at the top end (unlike 2007).

The worst thing that could happen right now is they become buyers, finish just out of the playoffs and pick in the low teens in the draft.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:00 AM
LegionOfDoom91

I don't think it's possible to tank with this roster unless you start Leighton for the rest of the season.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:56 AM
CptCannon

I wouldn't say 'tank' but give a lot of NHL ice time to the potential young guys down in the AHL and juniors once their season is done.
Sure it guarantees plenty of losses but the season's done anyway so this is the best time to pay the learning money.

Also try and trade upcoming UFA's to contenders (except Gagne) for picks and prospects. Well... Fedotenko seems to be the only UFA who'd get us something. A 3rd maybe? Also, Homer should listen to offers for Meszaros.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:27 AM
FlyersFan61290

No tanking. Just give Couts, B Schenn lots and lots of ice time. It'll help their development.

Heck give gags more ice time too just to see if he can handle more minutes and be productive if they're considering re-signing him.

Sell Briere, fed and Kunble if possible and plug in McGinn and harry z. Then play Bryz most days but you know actually give him a break every once in a while even if that means starting leighton.

I don't think that's considered tanking but I could be wrong

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:03 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
I can root for it. I started rooting for this team to tank before the season started. They are NOT talented enough. This season should come as a shock to no one.
Seth Jones MIGHT be the cog that this franchise needs going forward but even if they do tank, there are no guarantees that they get #1 overall in order to draft SJ and are stuck with best Center available after Jones comes off the board.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:07 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Big picture I want them to get the first pick. Once the puck drops though I want them to win. So yes I want them to tank but no I don't want them to tank.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:52 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
I want them to go 82-0 every season and 16-0 in the playoffs, but we have to be realistic.

At this point, they are out of the playoffs and are a top 5 pick. Winning only hurts the team in the future. Do what's best for the team

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:18 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
That's the real difference here. Do people think Penguins fans who went to games in the early 2000s went hoping their team would lose and gain better draft picks? No. They just didn't care if they lost and didn't go to the games to see a terrible product.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:29 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

No, but I understand that at this point winning isn't going to help them as they are not going to make the playoffs. I can't root for them to lose. When it gets to this point in the season I have to stop watching because my heart and brain will battle during the game. My brain says "it's better to lose" and my heart says "shut up, you're a ****ing idiot."

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:39 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
No, but I understand that at this point winning isn't going to help them as they are not going to make the playoffs. I can't root for them to lose. When it gets to this point in the season I have to stop watching because my heart and brain will battle during the game. My brain says "it's better to lose" and my heart says "shut up, you're a ****ing idiot."
You don't have to. I still have 4 or 5 games I'm going to, I'm not paying to hope they lose. I will probably get drunk at them though, especially since they're jacking up prices for next year. But I will hope for the best when the draft order is settled.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:52 AM
Jgboys1

vCash: 883
Quote:
+1 and at the end of the day, we will end up with a better draft pick.

Jgboys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:53 AM
MsWoof

Absolutely not. I would be thoroughly pissed if I had tickets to any remaining games and they tanked.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:59 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Basically this. Like last night, I didn't feel much. I mean, it sucked, but it didn't hit me as hard, considering the kind of record we need to run to even get near a playoff spot. With the 5 days off, there will be quite a few teams that can have the chance of passing us and putting us lower in the standings.

If we lose Sunday, and the other teams below us win most or all of their games during out 5 day break, we could technically be in last place (if we lose Sunday but Florida wins their next 4 games, they will be 1 point ahead of us and we would be in last place).

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Haute Couturier

I don't root for them to lose when I watch the games, but at the same time I want the best outcome for them long term which in my mind is getting a top pick. I would rather them finish bottom 5 than just miss the playoffs or finish 8th and make an early exit.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:09 AM
snoop88

absolutely i can root for them to tank. not hard at all for me.

i want what best for the organization and the future. after 37 years of not winning the cup, i can handle a few losses if it means our future improves. I'm willing to take a step back right now, if it means in the long run it improves our chances of getting seth jones and winning a cup.

I liken it to the Eagles season. There were fans that cheered every game hoping they could get to 8-8, 9-7. That just blows my mind. The organization needed an overhaul, and every win would mean one step closer to Andy Reid returning for another season and mediocrity. I've never cheered so hard for losses in my life.

snoop88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:19 AM
McNasty

I will hate it while it's happening but I would be happy to get Seth Jones and that would help me get over it.

McNasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:20 AM
Dooley36

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
Agreed. Is this the second or the third stage of grief?
The 5 stages of Grief

1. Denial - "The Flyers can still bounce back and make the playoffs, and anything can happen there..."

2. Anger - "GOD DAMMIT! **** YOU REFS! **** YOU PIERRE MCGUIRE!" *throws remote through the tv*

3. Bargaining - "Well... at least we'll have a good draft pick... right?"

4. Depression - "Well this really sucks...."

5. Acceptance - "NEXT SEASON WE GOT THIS!"

Dooley36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:32 AM
SAINDON

I have written Death for Seth a couple times, but I do not want us to tank. Tanking lacks integrity. If I had to choose being the 8th seed in the playoffs or having a top 5 pick, I choose the top 5 pick as that pick will do more for this club over the next decade.

SAINDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:36 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAINDON View Post
I have written Death for Seth a couple times, but I do not want us to tank. Tanking lacks integrity. If I had to choose being the 8th seed in the playoffs or having a top 5 pick, I choose the top 5 pick as that pick will do more for this club over the next decade.
In this case, tanking may not be a choice, but more fate if we keep playing like ****, like we have been.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:37 AM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

vCash: 323
No, unless you wanna stoop to Oiler-fan status

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:39 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeben51 View Post
No, unless you wanna stoop to Oiler-fan status
Do you really think we could pull #1 overall 3 years in a row? Higher ups would never allow it.