HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XXXVI

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2013, 04:09 AM
  #176
DJOpus
Registered User
 
DJOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Bad attitude, injury prone, 10 year contract, No way in hell

Damian Brunner is a UFA...

Has some skill. What will he get ? I think Detroit will get out-bid by somebody.
I counter with:

-Stanley Cup winner - led playoffs in goals
-WJC winner - set tournament record in goals

-On pace for over 50 goals in an 82 game season...former 46 goal scorer, more than any other player on our team has ever scored in a season.

DJOpus is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:09 AM
  #177
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 21,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
I would rather have Damian Brunner
And I would rather have Crosby. Red Wings are close to re-signing Brunner.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:15 AM
  #178
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Ronaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,779
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Bad attitude, injury prone, 10 year contract, No way in hell

Damian Brunner is a UFA...

Has some skill. What will he get ? I think Detroit will get out-bid by somebody.
Carter would be the near perfect guy for this team. Aren't you the guy that's been suggesting Hemsky? Carter is 10 times the player Hemsky is. Better chance that Kesler gets traded than Carter IMO, and that's saying a lot. Carter is untouchable for the Kings.

Ronaldo is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:19 AM
  #179
biturbo19
Registered User
 
biturbo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
Friedman in his 30 thoughts talked about how all the GMS are complaining that the sellers prices are way too high right now.
This happens every year. And the prices that are paid at the deadline are too much. The real 'winners' of the deadline are the GMs who can identify talent that has yet to break out, and add it to their lineup.

Higgins and Lappy were beautiful examples of a GM 'winning' the deadline. But since those two...Gillis hasn't won anything there. He needs to get back to downtrodden players with significant upside, as opposed to players who were 'really good once upon a time' and trying to buy in to get them to be the same thing now. a la Last Year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
That's a guy you pick up and then half the fanbase complains because he has the same problem as Booth: not converting on chances and can't pass the puck. 1 goal, 3 points in last 15 games... Definitely a good player though, just don't know that people have realistic expectations for an acquisition like that.
You're absolutely out of your mind if you wouldn't swap Booth for Clarkson right now though. There's no reason NJ would do so...but it's a no-brainer trade. You do that all day every day. Clarkson not only offers things Booth doesn't come close to away from the puck in toughness categories and defensive awareness...he also puts the puck in the net. Something Booth hasn't shown he can do here.

But again, NJ would be braindead to do that sort of deal.

So no, he's not like Booth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Jordan Schroeder?

Everyone wants to toss him around in deals, yet they complain about the Grabner and Cody deals.

So much contradiction in the complaints of MG among Canucks fans.
The difference isn't a 'contradiction'. It's the fact that Schroeder just hasn't shown anything close to the offensive upside of Hodgson or Schroeder. Canucks fans like prospects who have huge upside and are able to score goals. Schroeder really hasn't shown any of that yet and is also tiny and easily pushed off the puck defensively by big strong forwards to boot...THAT is why people are eager to throw him into proposals to deal him.

Not that many fans were keen on shipping out Grabner or Hodgson until it happened and the press machine convinced a bunch of people they were GREAT trades and we WON THE DAY!!!


biturbo19 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:19 AM
  #180
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 8,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
And I would rather have Crosby. Red Wings are close to re-signing Brunner.
But he is technically still a UFA. They had trouble signing Datsyuk who was a no show in the playoffs before his current deal.

The point is, Brunner is the kind of player we should be looking for. Not David Clarkson.

LolClarkson* is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:29 AM
  #181
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 8,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Carter would be the near perfect guy for this team. Aren't you the guy that's been suggesting Hemsky? Carter is 10 times the player Hemsky is. Better chance that Kesler gets traded than Carter IMO, and that's saying a lot. Carter is untouchable for the Kings.
Hemsky on the right team can do way more then Carter. Look at the first three goals of this vid. Show me Carter making these plays. Carter reminds me of Antson Carter. He is in the right place at the right time but he doesn't have nearly the abilities of Hemsky.

Plus, Hesky has a 2 year 5 million dollar deal. It doesn't get much better then that.

LolClarkson* is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:33 AM
  #182
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Ronaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,779
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner;61942633[B
]Hemsky on the right team can do way more then Carter. [/B]Look at the first three goals of this vid. Show me Carter making these plays. Carter reminds me of Antson Carter. He is in the right place at the right time but he doesn't have nearly the abilities of Hemsky.

Plus, Hesky has a 2 year 5 million dollar deal. It doesn't get much better then that.
Carter scored 46 goals in a season. Is on pace for around 50 this year (82 game schedule) No sane person would take Hemsky over Carter. Carter is a one shot scorer something this team needs more than anything. At this point Hemsky is a marginal upgrade on Raymond at best. While Carter is the Canucks most lethal scorer.

Ronaldo is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:48 AM
  #183
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 8,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Carter scored 46 goals in a season. Is on pace for around 50 this year (82 game schedule) No sane person would take Hemsky over Carter. Carter is a one shot scorer something this team needs more than anything. At this point Hemsky is a marginal upgrade on Raymond at best. While Carter is the Canucks most lethal scorer.
So what is Paul Holmgren seeing that you are not ?

Or is he the worst GM in the league ?

How much points did he get in CBJ ?

Carter is one off year away from being the next Heatly/Lecavleir. Not this year, but maybe next year.

And obviously you didn't watch the video if you think Hemsky and Raymond can be mentioned in the same breath.

LolClarkson* is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:55 AM
  #184
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Ronaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,779
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
So what is Paul Holmgren seeing that you are not ?

Or is he the worst GM in the league ?

How much points did he get in CBJ ?

Carter is one off year away from being the next Heatly/Lecavleir. Not this year, but maybe next year.

And obviously you didn't watch the video if you think Hemsky and Raymond can be mentioned in the same breath.
You know what Carter returned in a trade? Sean Couturier and Jakub Voracek two premiere assets, you make it seem like Holmgren gave him away for nothing. Carter is having the best year of his career this year so his value is very high and all things are pointing towards the right direction for him. Go start a poll on the main board Hemsky or Carter, Carter wins AINEC. In response to the last part this season Hemsky and Raymond's production is nearly the same while getting paid twice as much.

Ronaldo is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:57 AM
  #185
DJOpus
Registered User
 
DJOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
So what is Paul Holmgren seeing that you are not ?

Or is he the worst GM in the league ?
Holmgren might actually be the worst GM in the league, yes. He turned a Cup contender into what looks like a non-playoff team while trading away players who eventually played a large role in helping an opponent win the Cup. That might be the definition of being the "worst".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
How much points did he get in CBJ ?
He scored at a 32 goal, 53 point pace. He would lead our team in goal scoring at that pace and we all know he wasn't given that much to work with (he was carrying the 2nd line).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Carter is one off year away from being the next Heatly/Lecavleir. Not this year, but maybe next year.
There's a big difference between Heatly and Lecavalier...Lecavalier has a Cup won in the city which pays him, because of that the city of Tampa will never dump on him...the same would be true of Carter if he helps the Canucks win the Cup, and anyone else on that roster.

It's the same reason I will never rip on Luongo, he was there for one of my greatest hockey memories (but I guess we all have different ways of thanking people for their efforts).

DJOpus is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:10 AM
  #186
biturbo19
Registered User
 
biturbo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,615
vCash: 500
I think one of the biggest things Lombardi did for the Kings in their cup run season, was to identify a guy in Carter who was utilized extremely poorly in his current situation and could potentially offer so much more in a better role.

And sure enough, Carter sparked that Kings team and solved the scoring woes they had, allowing them to cruise their way to a Stanley Cup.


And in the same vein...all these ridiculous complaints about trade proposals that state, 'oh well they're not doing very well this year', are potentially complete ********. The NHL is an extremely competetive league...the way you win, is in identifying quality players before they become proven quality players. If you're paying for 'proven assets' you're going to lose. If you can pick out a couple of 'elite players' who are being mis-used and used in the wrong roles, etc...and grab them for very little...you win. And you stand a very good chance of winning the Cup.

But it absolutely comes down to evaluating talent, outside of what they have done and instead, looking at what they could do.

The Carter situation is a perfect example. A guy who was playing like garbage (i'm sure even his advanced metrics showed how afwul he was in Columbus), but you plug him in to the right situation in LA...and he's the crucial peice that pushes them over the top scoring depth wise and they win the Cup.

Grabbing players and setting them on an upswing is KEY to going deep. Gillis pulled it off with Higgins and Hansen in our cup run...grabbed guys on the 'outs' who turned out to be vital contributors to our playoff success. That's how you win. Not by scouring a spreadsheet and acquiring the best statistical players.

biturbo19 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:18 AM
  #187
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 8,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Holmgren might actually be the worst GM in the league, yes. He turned a Cup contender into what looks like a non-playoff team while trading away players who eventually played a large role in helping an opponent win the Cup. That might be the definition of being the "worst".



He scored at a 32 goal, 53 point pace. He would lead our team in goal scoring at that pace and we all know he wasn't given that much to work with (he was carrying the 2nd line).



There's a big difference between Heatly and Lecavalier...Lecavalier has a Cup won in the city which pays him, because of that the city of Tampa will never dump on him...the same would be true of Carter if he helps the Canucks win the Cup, and anyone else on that roster.

It's the same reason I will never rip on Luongo, he was there for one of my greatest hockey memories (but I guess we all have different ways of thanking people for their efforts).
Carter isn't in the top 50 in points this year.

Is this the year...

LolClarkson* is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:21 AM
  #188
DJOpus
Registered User
 
DJOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Carter isn't in the top 50 in points this year.

Is this the year...
He's tied for 2nd in the league in goals...so I doubt it.

We may have very different ideas about what is doing well and what isn't.

DJOpus is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:23 AM
  #189
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 8,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
You know what Carter returned in a trade? Sean Couturier and Jakub Voracek two premiere assets, you make it seem like Holmgren gave him away for nothing. Carter is having the best year of his career this year so his value is very high and all things are pointing towards the right direction for him. Go start a poll on the main board Hemsky or Carter, Carter wins AINEC. In response to the last part this season Hemsky and Raymond's production is nearly the same while getting paid twice as much.
Voracek is 10th in points this year. Carter cant crack the top 50.

He got lucky and landed in LA at the right time.

Put a poll on the main board. Who is more like Datsyuk, Carter or Hemsky. Hemsky wins AINEC

LolClarkson* is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:25 AM
  #190
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Ronaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,779
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Voracek is 10th in points this year. Carter cant crack the top 50.

He got lucky and landed in LA at the right time.

Put a poll on the main board. Who is more like Datsyuk, Carter or Hemsky. Hemsky wins AINEC
Jeff Carter has as many goals as Hemsky has points this year. Please stop with this nonsense. Carter>>Hemsky.

Ronaldo is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:30 AM
  #191
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 8,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
He's tied for 2nd in the league in goals...so I doubt it.

We may have very different ideas about what is doing well and what isn't.
He is also tied with Dale Wiese for assists.

If that's not a polarizing, one dimensional player with a bloated contract and an attitude problem then I don't know what is.

LolClarkson* is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:48 AM
  #192
DJOpus
Registered User
 
DJOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
He is also tied with Dale Wiese for assists.

If that's not a polarizing, one dimensional player with a bloated contract and an attitude problem then I don't know what is.
It's not polarizing at all. Jeff Carter scores a lot of goals and has been a key contributor on championship winning teams, i.e. Stanley Cup and World Junior teams. It takes guys contributing in different ways to win and Carter contributes goals which is a big deal in the game of hockey.

We just have different ideas on what being successful is. That's okay, I think I'm right and you're wrong and you really aren't going to change my mind because I disagree with everything you've said to this point.

DJOpus is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:59 AM
  #193
VanCanucks14
Registered User
 
VanCanucks14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,692
vCash: 500
GM meetings are this Wednesday. This was in Friedman's 30 thoughts.
Quote:
The NHL's general managers convene in Toronto on Wednesday for a day of meetings. There will be discussion about goaltender's equipment, shootouts and diving. But, there will also be trade talk. Vancouver, for example, is bringing its scouting staff to "The Centre of the Universe" in conjunction with this event.
He of course goes on to say that the trade market isn't good right now with not enough sellers and the prices being too high.

VanCanucks14 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 08:37 AM
  #194
DJOpus
Registered User
 
DJOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,804
vCash: 500
Fire AV, hire Ruff/Cooper (or both somehow) + Allaire for Luongo for the rest of the season.

To VAN: Jagr + Roy
To DAL: 1st/Gaunce + 2nd + 3rd + Sweat + Connaughton

Sedin – Sedin – Jagr (the “Art Ross” line)
Booth -Roy – Kassian (the “Two and a Half Men” line)
Burrows – Kesler – Hansen (the “Grind line – part 2”)
Higgins – Lappiere – Pinnezotto (the 4th line)
Wiese – Sestito (the “press box”)

Hamhuis – Garrison (the “BC Buds” pairing)
Edler – Tanev (the “Please Tanev help make Edler better” pairing)
Ballard – Bieksa (the “Masters of Disaster” pairing)
Barker ("reclamation")

Luongo (the “Franchise”)
Schneider (the “Franchise Part 2?”)

Replenish the prospect pool as much as possible in the offseason by moving Luongo/Schneider + Ballard + Booth (if you can re-sign Higgins/Roy/Jagr)

DJOpus is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 09:20 AM
  #195
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
FWIW I take Carter over Hemsky AINEC. Anyone who can put the puck in the net almost at the same rate as Steven Stamkos has a spot on my team.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 09:22 AM
  #196
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,471
vCash: 500
It's kind of annoying that Gillis had to give everyone on the blueline a NTC. Now we have 3 guys making 4.5mil or above that all play the left side and can't be moved for a shake-up. I'm not necessarily saying I'd jump at moving any of these guys, but Bieksa, Burrows, Kesler, the twins, and Lu also all have NTCs.

Luck 6 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 09:23 AM
  #197
Reverend Mayhem
Registered User
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,844
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Man, I'd love me a player like Jeff Carter. He just brings a whole different dynamic to this team sort of like Kesler does. He makes us better because he gives us different looks.

As much as I'd like Hemsky here, it gives us the same look.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 09:24 AM
  #198
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
It's kind of annoying that Gillis had to give everyone on the blueline a NTC. Now we have 3 guys making 4.5mil or above that all play the left side and can't be moved for a shake-up. I'm not necessarily saying I'd jump at moving any of these guys, but Bieksa, Burrows, Kesler, the twins, and Lu also all have NTCs.
Edler can still be moved prior to July 1.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 01:12 PM
  #199
7thOverdrive
Registered User
 
7thOverdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Port Coquitlam
Country: Canada
Posts: 484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Man, I'd love me a player like Jeff Carter. He just brings a whole different dynamic to this team sort of like Kesler does. He makes us better because he gives us different looks.

As much as I'd like Hemsky here, it gives us the same look.
Totally get you here. But i think everything changes when Kesler and/or Booth is in the line-up. Both those guys love to shoot and driving the net and thrive with playmakers. If we add a Jeff Carter, we'll have a 3 shooters on a line and no passers. Going down our line-up, we seem to only have 3 'playmakers': Daniel, Henrik and Schroeder (maybe Kassian). For shooters/finishers we have: Booth, Kesler, Burrows, Raymond, Higgins and the way he's playing, Hansen. Note that I'm deviating between shooters and playmakers based on their skillset (if their shooting is better than there passing).

By adding someone like Hemsky (who may com cheaper), positional and player type requirements are filled. RW that's more of a playmaker.

I'm still all for getting someone like Marcus Johansson or Derek Roy. Johansson has been pretty bad this year but after recovering from his injury he's started to pick up pace (and he's a speedy playmaker). Derek Roy would only be available if Dallas feels they won't make the playoffs, but that would also make Jagr expendable...

7thOverdrive is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 01:25 PM
  #200
thepuckmonster
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
FWIW I take Carter over Hemsky AINEC. Anyone who can put the puck in the net almost at the same rate as Steven Stamkos has a spot on my team.
I ****ing hate Jeff Carter and even I agree with this.

thepuckmonster is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.