HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

GAME #29 - "W.C Handy's West Coast Blues" - Canucks vs. Blues - 7:00 p.m, TSN

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 04:01 AM
Kip96

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawzy View Post
It must be your first time here.

Welcome to the Canucks board, home of the fickle.
Usually when they lose or are playing like crap I avoid the boards and the sports channels and sports radio...

Just hoping there's a way out there we can win and AV still gets canned

Old
03-19-2013, 04:03 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Against the Wild I think we were clearly the better team for most of the game. Sometimes you just have to accept the loss.

We're still dealing with numerous injuries, people are so quick to get pessimistic.

I'm fine giving AV until the end of the season to see how we are with a fully healthy roster and if we step it up during the playoffs.
To an extent, I am as well but there is something to be said of letting a new coach come in and using the remaining handful of games as a trial period. And who knows, he could make our playoff run good ala Kings. AV... it's over at this point.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:04 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip96 View Post
Usually when they lose or are playing like crap I avoid the boards and the sports channels and sports radio...

Just hoping there's a way out there we can win and AV still gets canned
There isn't. If a stretch only winning 6 games in however long doesn't, a win certainly won't get him fired, it would just keep delaying the inevitable.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:10 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip96 View Post
Not sure how all you guys can be cheering for a loss

I hate AV as much as the next guy and he should've been gone after last year but i'm not cheering for the Canucks to lose ever

I'm pro Luongo staying and Schneider getting dealt but even still I want to see Cory play lights out every time he's in the net
None of us like doing so, but we are aware it is the only way something might change. I, for one, am tired of seeing my favorite team play such terrible hockey that I am usually bored and disappointed half-way through.

If losing gets AV fired, then we can lose until he's gone for all I care.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:18 AM
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
None of us like doing so, but we are aware it is the only way something might change. I, for one, am tired of seeing my favorite team play such terrible hockey that I am usually bored and disappointed half-way through.

If losing gets AV fired, then we can lose until he's gone for all I care.
As bad as it sounds, I agree. This team isn't going anywhere with AV.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:28 AM
Linden
[hello] :)

GMs don't make firing decisions based on one game, either he is on his way out, or Gillis is giving him until the end of the season (which is what I think is gonna happen). Whether we lose today or not shouldnt effect the AV situation.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:56 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
That's what I was getting at. This is who they are now. A mediocre team.
I hope in saying that you realize how close a mediocre team is to being a Cup winner/contender.

It literally is one key player (in our case Kesler) to turn a contender into a team that looks mediocre.

It also takes one key player (in LAs case Carter...and a new coach) to turn a team that looks mediocre to a Cup winner.

I hope Gillis is paying attention and gets us the centre we've been clearly missing for a couple of seasons and a new message in the room (i.e. new coach).

Old
03-19-2013, 05:01 AM
VanCanucks14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
I hope in saying that you realize how close a mediocre team is to being a Cup winner/contender.

It literally is one key player (in our case Kesler) to turn a contender into a team that looks mediocre.

It also takes one key player (in LAs case Carter...and a new coach) to turn a team that looks mediocre to a Cup winner.

I hope Gillis is paying attention and gets us the centre we've been clearly missing for a couple of seasons and a new message in the room (i.e. new coach).
Oh for sure things can change. A few right moves and we're right in it. But right now, they are playing like an average team. Nothing more. And unless something changes, that's what they will remain.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:00 AM
Hammer79

MG isn't going to fire AV based on one game or one blowout, he just extended him last summer after a poor playoff showing. Do you really think he changes course due to a regular season blow-out?

Ballard will likely be sitting this one out after what he did on that third goal. Even if he finished his check, which is what he should have done, he probably would have been given a 2 min penalty for interference. Just a bone-headed play...

I'd be shocked if they didn't go back to Schneider on the tail-end of a back-to-back.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:28 AM
petrishriekandgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
MG isn't going to fire AV based on one game or one blowout, he just extended him last summer after a poor playoff showing. Do you really think he changes course due to a regular season blow-out?

Ballard will likely be sitting this one out after what he did on that third goal. Even if he finished his check, which is what he should have done, he probably would have been given a 2 min penalty for interference. Just a bone-headed play...

I'd be shocked if they didn't go back to Schneider on the tail-end of a back-to-back.
Schneider will play, AV said so during the post-game presser last night.

Also agree about AV, if anything his coaching moves were justified last night when the ever risky Ballard created a partial breakaway on the games 3rd goal.

I thought the team played well last night but just ran out of steam. Hank is clearly worn out, guys taking all the faceoffs out there. Danny has to be injured, I've never seen him miss so many pucks along the boards. Wrist, shoulder... who knows. AV, regardless of what everyone thinks, just doesn't have the horses to keep this team in games and I haven't seen anyone really elevate to take a game over, not Hank, Danny, Bieksa, Edler or either goalie.

On the emotional side of things, I just don't know what's up. To me it doesn't look like they're giving up on AV, the look worn out. They play 40minutes in most games but just can't pull it together or score in the 3rd period. Without Kassian, Booth, Kesler they're a pretty small group upfront and that looks like it's taking its toll.

Gillis needs to do something ASAP.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:04 AM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
Oh for sure things can change. A few right moves and we're right in it. But right now, they are playing like an average team. Nothing more. And unless something changes, that's what they will remain.
Quote:
After the 1994-95 and 1995-96 President's Trophy winning seasons, the first where the Red Wings made the Finals, only to lose to red hot goalie Martin Brodeur, the Wings struggled in the 1996-97 season barely winning the division. At the beginning of the season they traded away star defenseman Paul Coffey to Hartford for Brendan Shanahan. The Wings would go on to win the 1997 and 1998 Stanley Cups with Shanahan.
I'm not one to support parallelism, but that's pretty dead on. I guess the moral of the story is that good things come when you least expect them to. We aren't the Red Wings of the 90s though.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:10 AM
petrishriekandgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I'm not one to support parallelism, but that's pretty dead on. I guess the moral of the story is that good things come when you least expect them to. We aren't the Red Wings of the 90s though.
A chemistry shake-up needs to happen for sure, on what level of the Richter scale I'm not sure but I'm not against seeing a core piece or two moved to make it happen.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:20 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
A chemistry shake-up needs to happen for sure, on what level of the Richter scale I'm not sure but I'm not against seeing a core piece or two moved to make it happen.
I think at a minimum it has to be a new coach and a 2nd offensive centre.

If we want to get extreme a re-shuffling of the deck defensively would happen (i.e. Bieksa and/or Edler and/or Ballard)...we have $13.85M in cap space next year committed to guys who are all playing like bottom pairing d-men (and have for over a season)...maybe 3 for 2 for WAS somewhat disappointing RHD (Green + Carlson).

Old
03-19-2013, 07:39 AM
JuniorNelson

Canucks are most hated team. Other teams beat on them. The league lets them. Witness Suter chopping down Sedin last night after the play. Broken ribs? NP!

Canucks def have a Heel persona, to co-opt a wrestling term. I do not understand why they don't simply embrace it and become villains? What would the downside be? FAs are already prefering Edmonton over Vancouver. Dress goons to protect your little players, though, wrestling is scripted, hockey is not.

Whatever. Don't expect any changes to be made. Vignault was re-upped for three more years. Gillis is irrelevant until he does something. He has found a great way to avoid second-guessers! He simply does not act. It's been fourteen months since the team played well, excepting a showy adrenalized start this season. This team has been massively mismanaged and it is showing. Would you trade Rome and Salo for Garrison?

Canucks core group is good enough to get into the playoffs, but have never been augmented for playoff duty. They will be unsupported again and limp into the post season with injuries and holes in the line-up. They will be soft enough for a sweep! How can I say that? I watched them play the Wild, who ably demonstrated Canucks' failings.

Gillis was a kitten on the ice, relying on officials to protect him. This isn't the Gretzky era, though and kittens are not given bubbles to play in by the league any more. Yet, Gillis built a team around the concept of kittens and league protection. Every season they meet a big dog in the playoffs and get thier kitten butts kicked. Volpatti and Garrison tried to bring the hound to this team and what happened to them? Volpatti waived and Garrison banished to the fourth line. Meow!

How to fix? Support the players as they carve out an identity. Start there! If this means firing Gillis, then do so. Perhaps Vignault is a good coach? How would we know? He needs a line-up featuring enough centers to really assess his performance, no? If Gillis cannot land players, he has to go. What's he good for, otherwise? If you can't convert a starter into a third line center, is there a problem? If two President's trophies do not lure Free agents to your team with Vancouver as a perk, is there a problem? What about can't do a trade at the deadline? Are any of these issues important? Apparently not. Look at the evidence. It will be presented again and again and again, until somebody gets it.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:27 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Everyone is predicting a blowout loss which means we will probably squeak out a 3-2 win. At least that's always what happens whenever I think we will get blown out. AV rejoices.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:53 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Going to be a loss. Our second and third lines are going to get manhandled by the Blues bigger forwards/defenseman. It was shocking seeing Minny just toss our guys around yesterday. Team misses Kassian, Kesler, Booth.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:10 AM
CP

vCash: 699
Also missed Malhotra and Hodgson.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

If I was a betting man, I'd put all my money on the Canucks giving a mediocre effort.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
03-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
Also agree about AV, if anything his coaching moves were justified last night when the ever risky Ballard created a partial breakaway on the games 3rd goal.
Like his constant benching hasn't done anything to the players mental state eh? It's one to bench a player after a gaffe last night; it's another (in the previous cases) where it's AV "coin that did the deed". No surprise player isn't at his best when he knows his days are numbered. AV may be able to motivate some players but in this well, Ballard's market value has already been destroyed due to AV's mind games.

Said this before, AV made his job more difficult given that his roster is going to be stuck with $4+ million contract on a significantly lower cap next season; barring Aquaman opening his vault in a buyout (that's really going to win him favors from the boss). Not to mention, you've got two goalie starter contracts on the books with the other team's starting to get more leverage against Gillis.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:20 AM
PRNuck
Wow. What a day.

I'm starting to not care if it's a game day or not. Fan apathy should scare MG more than fan rage.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

https://twitter.com/patersonjeff/sta...33238450511872
Quote:
As a team, #Canucks have now dropped to 27th in #NHL on face-offs (47.2%)
I miss being a top faceoff team in the league.

Edit: we'd also probably be 28th or 29th if Malhotra didn't play a single game this year

Old
03-19-2013, 10:29 AM
MikeK

vCash: 14214
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Everyone is predicting a blowout loss which means we will probably squeak out a 3-2 win. At least that's always what happens whenever I think we will get blown out. AV rejoices.
STL has been playing good hockey and the Canucks, well, have not. I honestly don't know what to think anymore. I don't know this Canucks team anymore. 4 wins in the last 13 games doesn't sound like a slump to me. It sounds more like a reality check. The team just isn't as good as we all thought. I was harping a cpl weeks ago about even the games we were winning were boring as heck but at this stage I would be happy with the 2pts regardless. There are not a lot of games left and for the first time in what seems like a decade i see the Canucks as a real non-playoff team.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:02 AM
billvanseattle

Looking forward to this one - I get to be the ticket holder fan of the game. Getting a signed Daniel jersey and some other perks, I am simply assuming my great day will conclude in a win, and the Canucks will go on to dominate the rest of the season and the playoffs as a result of my inspiration.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:18 AM
SonicY
Ad hominem

Look at the Blues forward depth on the top-9 versus ours

Steen, Backes, Stewart, McDonald, Tarasenko, Berglund, Perron, Sobotka, Schwarz (Oshie DTD)
v
Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Higgins, Raymond, Hansen, Ebbett, Lapierre, Pinozzotto

We are going to get absolutely shelled, tonight

Old
03-19-2013, 11:24 AM
PRNuck
Wow. What a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
Looking forward to this one - I get to be the ticket holder fan of the game. Getting a signed Daniel jersey and some other perks, I am simply assuming my great day will conclude in a win, and the Canucks will go on to dominate the rest of the season and the playoffs as a result of my inspiration.
Cool, congrats!

Closed Thread