HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 07:23 PM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
2009- Henrique gets jumped at a bar and has his Memorial Cup Ring stolen.

2010- Kassian punches a guy in the face and is charged with assault.

2010- Marc Cantin gets his jaw broken while trying to stop a fight while at a bar.

2012- Bob Jones punches out a teenager outside a SSM bar. Charged with assault

2013- Johnson charged with 2 counts of sexual assault, allegedly occurring in the bathroom of 2 different bars.

Not to mention the countless other stupid actions by Spitfire players over the years downtown.

When is the organisation going to start being proactive in the education of their players?

It's 2am do you know where your goal scoring power forward and gifted playmaking centre are?

Old
03-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy4 View Post
^ dont forget emerson clark and bowen bar fight
Not sure it was ever released what they were suspended for.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:24 PM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
It's 2am do you know where your goal scoring power forward and gifted playmaking centre are?
There down town getting drunk lol

Old
03-18-2013, 07:26 PM
OHLTG

I don't think it's only a matter of education, necessarily. Sometimes the other parties are just too stupid and you're left with few options. I don't know this to be the case, but I've seen before where people are provoked, try to walk away, and all heck breaks loose. If you have one group that's provoking another, the second group walks, and one person from the first group jumps a person...you've got a brawl on your hands. It's easier to do than many think. I'm not saying they should or should not be downtown, but there are more than one side to every story and, in this city, people are constantly looking for attention.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I don't think it's only a matter of education, necessarily. Sometimes the other parties are just too stupid and you're left with few options. I don't know this to be the case, but I've seen before where people are provoked, try to walk away, and all heck breaks loose. If you have one group that's provoking another, the second group walks, and one person from the first group jumps a person...you've got a brawl on your hands. It's easier to do than many think. I'm not saying they should or should not be downtown, but there are more than one side to every story and, in this city, people are constantly looking for attention.
The players need to realize that they are held to a higher standard than normal people. They really shouldn't be putting themselves in these kind of situations. If it means staying away from the bars, then so be it.

I know, I know.... "in a perfect world".

Old
03-18-2013, 07:37 PM
RayzorIsDull

The other angle people are not looking at is how this might effect the organization recruiting top prospects to Windsor. I know some individuals will say it's not a big deal but look at it through the eyes of being a parent. With all this stuff going on would you want your son going to a place like this?

Old
03-18-2013, 07:39 PM
big papa

Quote:
The players need to realize that they are held to a higher standard than normal people. They really shouldn't be putting themselves in these kind of situations. If it means staying away from the bars, then so be it.

I know, I know.... "in a perfect world".
True but we as fans have to relize that they them selfs are human and make mistakes from time to time but if found guilty of sexual assault then there really no justification of defending him. The incidents with Kassian, Cantin, Henrique they were 19+ out having drinks with team mates/friends.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:40 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
The other angle people are not looking at is how this might effect the organization recruiting top prospects to Windsor. I know some individuals will say it's not a big deal but look at it through the eyes of being a parent. With all this stuff going on would you want your son going to a place like this?
Could the same be said about the Sault

Old
03-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Not really. The off ice troubles coupled with the on ice troubles is bad business.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:45 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Could the same be said about the Sault
I agree with that. I am not saying they won't get kids to come here but no doubt it makes the job of Rychel and Boughner difficult to get this back on track.

Old
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
True but we as fans have to relize that they them selfs are human and make mistakes from time to time but if found guilty of sexual assault then there really no justification of defending him. The incidents with Kassian, Cantin, Henrique they were 19+ out having drinks with team mates/friends.
I'm not trying to say they need to be perfect... no one on this planet is perfect and we all make mistakes. But the key here is learning from those mistakes... lately it doesn't seem like this organisation is learning from their mistakes.

Of course just referring to the Spitfires organisation is a microcosm to today's society as a whole.

Old
hockeyboy4

this must not impress the mem cup committee the fact that we could lose a player who was a 3rd round pick next year

Old
03-18-2013, 07:47 PM
ImaBullsfan

Sad to say, but this will not help the Spitfires get the Memorial Cup, thats for sure. WOW!

Old
03-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Libbs

Quote:
this must not impress the mem cup committee the fact that we could lose a player who was a 3rd round pick next year
That's assuming you still held onto hope we actually had a shot after the sanctions.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:56 PM
coachfluffy

The team has tried to ban the players from downtown. The Cantin incident came days after the downtown was declared a no go zone. From people in the know, that contributed to his being traded.

Off ice troubles are treated similarily to on ice misdeeds. Punishement, if any, depends on who you are.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachfluffy View Post

Off ice troubles are treated similarily to on ice misdeeds. Punishement, if any, depends on who you are.
This is a major reason for the poor performance this season... there is no accountability. And if there was, it was not done fairly.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:07 PM
punch1943

Quote:
That's assuming you still held onto hope we actually had a shot after the sanctions.
Very true Libbs. I'm of the opinion that the chances of us being awarded the Memorial Cup are slim and none.

Before the breaking news of this afternoon I was enjoying the dissecting of this past season and the trade proposals that had sprung up (both the good and outrageous).

I'll work on a couple proposals myself and once the board is discussing actual hockey news I'll be back.....

Old
03-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Ottomatic

Spits should try and get their bid monies back and bow out.

As for player recruitment - N.Dakota had a underage drink/hazing incident from earlier this year. I don't think Schmaltz the younger was ever going to come over anyways though, but this is the nail in that coffin if there was even a faint hope.

There is no accountability on this team. Starts at the top with the coaches wanting to be buddies with the players, the whole treating them like pros, being called by their first names etc.

I'll be very interested to know what other players were there with Johnson.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Rally Donkey

I don't have any kids, but when I do (if), I hope I will be able to say the following with a good conscience and straight face:

1. Son, no means no and "yes" means no if alcohol, cough syrup, or public facilities are involed. You being drunk and a girl being drunk are not the same thing. Yes, I know everyone talks about equality and all that crap, but men and women are not equal and never will be. More is expected and demanded of you than of women (or girles). You can't use alcohol, fun, celebration or any excuse when a female accuses you. The only defense you have is to be sober, private, respectful and married (and innocent).

2. Daughter, you are more powerful than you can ever imagine and you are loved beyond belief. You don't need to be the life of the party, or get tipsy or drunk to attract anyone or to feel good about yourself. Do not drop your guard or inhibitions, because a moment of excitement and indiscretion can result in a lifetime of regret. Your weakness and stupidity not only affect you, they can ruin the lives of many. Keep your head and legs together, because if the worst happens, it's your fault as much as the foolish, weak young man's.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:34 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Spits should try and get their bid monies back and bow out.

As for player recruitment - N.Dakota had a underage drink/hazing incident from earlier this year. I don't think Schmaltz the younger was ever going to come over anyways though, but this is the nail in that coffin if there was even a faint hope.

There is no accountability on this team. Starts at the top with the coaches wanting to be buddies with the players, the whole treating them like pros, being called by their first names etc.

I'll be very interested to know what other players were there with Johnson.
I have been very critical of the coaching staff and management but I will say this unfortunately they can't keep tabs on players 24-7. Obviously some players can handle things in a mature manner but there are some that don't make the best decisions. The coaching staff can't exactly give them drug testing or alcohol testing either. You just hope the players make wise choices. When the team was winning the players lived it up but the only concern with the coaching staff was making sure the players got to the arena in one piece. This current group and some of those players need supervision. I would hope there is somebody on that team or a coach that is livid he will make it be known this type of garbage isn't acceptable. This is two years of bad hockey and some individuals acting the fool and the garbage needs to stop.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:01 PM
Spitsfan191

Quote:
I have been very critical of the coaching staff and management but I will say this unfortunately they can't keep tabs on players 24-7. Obviously some players can handle things in a mature manner but there are some that don't make the best decisions. The coaching staff can't exactly give them drug testing or alcohol testing either. You just hope the players make wise choices. When the team was winning the players lived it up but the only concern with the coaching staff was making sure the players got to the arena in one piece. This current group and some of those players need supervision. I would hope there is somebody on that team or a coach that is livid he will make it be known this type of garbage isn't acceptable. This is two years of bad hockey and some individuals acting the fool and the garbage needs to stop.
I agree with that.
Do you think cutting players or trading players like Johnson in this circumstance, or Bowen, or others would be the way to go? Set the tone. Start fresh. out with the old in with the new

Old
03-19-2013, 12:21 AM
coachfluffy

Since this regime has taken over, they have been quick getting rid of problems or troublemakers. Especially the first three years or so, anyone indicating a dissatisfaction with being here has been shipped out. Most of the early trades was more for subtraction than addition.

Comparing this bunch of the last three years to the first group, I think the main difference is the mental makeup and character. Where the constant yelling and mind games has beaten current team down, it made the Hall / Ellis team more determined.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:24 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan191 View Post
I agree with that.
Do you think cutting players or trading players like Johnson in this circumstance, or Bowen, or others would be the way to go? Set the tone. Start fresh. out with the old in with the new
Right now, I think the way to go is let this all play out and see what happens. Once the dust settles, move forward as a team.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:39 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
lmao memorial cup committee ...lets hope no spitfire brass was at this party ...if they were they just lost my season tickets ,this gong show starts with the arrogance of the owners ,but im sure the owners or anyone who knew underage drinking was going on wouldnt be there

Old
03-19-2013, 07:17 AM
coachfluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
lets hope no spitfire brass was at this party ..,this gong show starts with the arrogance of the owners ,but im sure the owners or anyone who knew underage drinking was going on wouldnt be there
It may be a case of "go ahead but we don't know about it".

Speaking of the owners, I wonder if anyone else has thought about this. Rumours are that Rychel is trying to sell his 10%. Dobrich was rarely seen around the arena this year. Ownership changes coming?

Closed Thread