HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion (Mar. 29 article, post #976)

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 08:31 PM
snoop88

vCash: 500
Max Domi is a hell of a player. nothing really like his dad

this kid was born to be a flyer.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:12 PM
daynus

so we are

sitting about 5th last right now. so its something like jones, big mac,drouin,barkov top 4. with us at 5, bpa. its up to our scouts, is it risto,nurse, zadarov. well would be happy with any of them. sure jones would be nice after his entry level contract 8-9$M nice. thats a big chunk of a teams payroll. sure their is a bit of a drop off after jones. risto,nurse,zadarov are great additions to a good defensive unit we have. and 4.5-5.5$M guys. is their any chance briere waves his ntc,nmc whatever it is. is any team interested in briere. yah some of those forwards would be nice with 1B if we can get that pick. i like hagg at 1b as well. well even if we dont acquire 1B, 2A is gonna be a real good pick for us. their is still gonna be great talent at that spot. so thn has us ranked around middle of the pack for prospects, that is not bad. considering most of our young guys are with the big club.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:36 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
sitting about 5th last right now. so its something like jones, big mac,drouin,barkov top 4. with us at 5, bpa. its up to our scouts, is it risto,nurse, zadarov. well would be happy with any of them. sure jones would be nice after his entry level contract 8-9$M nice. thats a big chunk of a teams payroll. sure their is a bit of a drop off after jones. risto,nurse,zadarov are great additions to a good defensive unit we have. and 4.5-5.5$M guys. is their any chance briere waves his ntc,nmc whatever it is. is any team interested in briere. yah some of those forwards would be nice with 1B if we can get that pick. i like hagg at 1b as well. well even if we dont acquire 1B, 2A is gonna be a real good pick for us. their is still gonna be great talent at that spot. so thn has us ranked around middle of the pack for prospects, that is not bad. considering most of our young guys are with the big club.
I got a headache attempting to read that. The nonexistent grammar and no capital letters lets everything blend in. Would someone be so kind to translate what this says for me?

Old
03-18-2013, 10:38 PM
Devonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop88 View Post
This draft is absolutely loaded. What a golden opportunity the Flyers have.

Even the lower end of the top 10 and the 20's has studs. Nurse, Monahan, Lindholm, Theodore, Jordan Subban, Max Domi.

Tank for Seth. Trade Briere for a late 1st.

1st. - Seth Jones
20th- Max Domi

Win hockey
At this point I agree..this season is a write off...we still have a lot of talent going forward and we are not as far off as some cassandras would have us.....

I know this is likely not popular among my fellow flyer fans, but if we had to pick one season to tank, this is it.....getting among the top 4 will guarantee another young stud to our line up...and even if it is a foward, it enables us to trade one of our young excellent forwards for a top D man......

In this shortened season and with our team just not working out this year, this is the time to hope for losses and plenty of them....and in the years to come, we can challenge again for the top!

Old
03-18-2013, 11:24 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Say we had the 5th pick, Nurse or Zadorav?

I have seen Zadorav being compared to coburn which immediately turns off people, but what about Nurse? I haven't heard to much about him besides him being the nephew of Donny Mack

Because honestly I don't think the flyers would get a top 3 pick.

Now if the flyers got the 4th pick that would be a tough decision, the BPA approach would be Barkov, but to address needs, the Flyers NEED defense.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:31 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
Say we had the 5th pick, Nurse or Zadorav?

I have seen Zadorav being compared to coburn which immediately turns off people, but what about Nurse? I haven't heard to much about him besides him being the nephew of Donny Mack

Because honestly I don't think the flyers would get a top 3 pick.

Now if the flyers got the 4th pick that would be a tough decision, the BPA approach would be Barkov, but to address needs, the Flyers NEED defense.
I would say if it came down to Nurse or Zadorov the Flyers would take Nurse. He's more developed at this point of the two and he plays a style the Flyers brass usually covet.

Now if it was down to Barkov and Nurse. I could see them going either way but I would guess Barkov or maybe trying to trade down to acquire more assets.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:46 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Come draft day many teams will be envious of the Flyers especially considering how fast they are dropping in the standings..25th worst with the teams below having games at hand. I think I might be going to the draft in Newark.....at least if I can secure tickets or however it works.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:07 AM
BernieParent

Here's the strategy:
- Win the Sustr sweepstakes
- Get first overall and draft Jones
- Call up Stolarz
- Send Briere to Ottawa for Bishop + 2nd
- Trade team to 76ers

Old
03-19-2013, 12:13 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
If we pick 5th, it wouldn't surprise me if we end up drafting Monahan, Nichushkin, or Lindholm, assuming that Jones/Drouin/MacKinnon/Barkov go top 4. Not saying I agree with it, but I'd be surprised if they reached(in the sense they aren't BPA) for Nurse, Zadorov, or Pulock. None of them are the 5th best prospects in this draft.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:22 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
If we pick 5th, I would trade whatever it takes to get the #1 overall (or #2 if Florida drafts 1st because Florida won't take Jones)

Seth Jones, playboy. Seth Jones.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:22 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
If we pick 5th, it wouldn't surprise me if we end up drafting Monahan, Nichushkin, or Lindholm, assuming that Jones/Drouin/MacKinnon/Barkov go top 4. Not saying I agree with it, but I'd be surprised if they reached(in the sense they aren't BPA) for Nurse, Zadorov, or Pulock. None of them are the 5th best prospects in this draft.
That's according to central scouting though. The Flyers board like many other teams will look a lot different than their's (see Laughton last year as example). Nurse/Zadorov could be in the Flyers top 5 on their board so technically it could be going the BPA route.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:41 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
I could see Washington or Buffalo drafting Nichushkin in the top 4. Or Tampa Bay for that matter. He is ranked 2nd overall I think in ISS or one of the other big scouting agencies. One of Barkov, Drouin, or Mackinnon, more than likely Barkov, could fall to five where the Flyers are currently ranked.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:31 AM
FLYguy3911

Why does everyone leave Nichushkin out when talking about top 5 picks? The kid's a monster.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:43 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Why does everyone leave Nichushkin out when talking about top 5 picks? The kid's a monster.
The reason Nichushkin is left out is because he plays in a lower Russian league. I'm not saying he isn't going to be a very good player (his play at the WJC and the Subway series showed he has serious talent), but nobody knows what he wants to do. He had an opportunity to showcase himself and play in North America and he turned it down. Usually, that's a warning sign right there. With that being said, he has stated that he wants to play in the NHL, so at least there's some acknowledgement there. The biggest issue though is that there doesn't seem to be a time frame as to when he would want to come over.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:44 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Signed with the KHL for two more years. "Russian factor" worry that he might stay in the KHL or return there ala Radulov. I can ony see teams with a Russian base willing to take him.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:46 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Nurse is now the 5th ranked player as per ISS. He's moving up the board very quickly and there's talk that he could go as high as two. Scouts are really falling in love with his game and the fact that he dedicated himself to concentrating on defense while Sproul and Miller handled the offensive side in the Soo and he still put up 40 points is viewed as big plus by scouts.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:53 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
I remember hearing a lot more about Lindholm at this point last year than recently. Has his stock faded, or simply not increased as much as others?

Monahan is a kid who seems to have held his own--he was ranked right around that 5-6 spot at the same time last year in preliminary lists, IIRC. But he's kinda the one guy that I'm worried about the Flyers selecting. MacKinnon and Drouin have game-breaking level skill / talent, and Barkov is a physical specimen with a rare blend of size and skill.

Monahan just seems like the kind of guy who has a very strong all around game but nothing at an elite level. Given our existing depth at the center position, he's the one guy I'd scratch my head at a bit, unless the organization was confident that he had a big edge over the next best player available.

EDIT: That's all based on very limited viewing and reading, so perhaps I'm off base.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Nurse is now the 5th ranked player as per ISS. He's moving up the board very quickly and there's talk that he could go as high as two. Scouts are really falling in love with his game and the fact that he dedicated himself to concentrating on defense while Sproul and Miller handled the offensive side in the Soo and he still put up 40 points is viewed as big plus by scouts.
Its very interesting where Nurse will go. Colorado (Johnson, Barrie, Elliot) and Washington (Green, Carlson) have more need for a left handed defenseman than a right. Each of Buffalo's and Florida's top young defenseman is right handed. So I wonder if one of them would reach for Nurse over Jones. I know that is sacrilege to say since Jones is a cross between Bobby Orr and Chris Pronger for some around here, but it is something to think about.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:26 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I'll post this here from another thread:

If we lose Sunday, and the other teams below us win most or all of their games during out 5 day break, we could technically be in last place (if we lose Sunday but Florida wins their next 4 games, they will be 1 point ahead of us and we would be in last place).

Old
03-19-2013, 08:27 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Its very interesting where Nurse will go. Colorado (Johnson, Barrie, Elliot) and Washington (Green, Carlson) have more need for a left handed defenseman than a right. Each of Buffalo's and Florida's top young defenseman is right handed. So I wonder if one of them would reach for Nurse over Jones. I know that is sacrilege to say since Jones is a cross between Bobby Orr and Chris Pronger for some around here, but it is something to think about.
I cannot imagine the "handedness" of a defenseman in any way impacting a team's evaluation of a player. Perhaps if two guys were equal, you could use it as a differentiation tool, but including it in your ranking criteria? Laughable of you ask me.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:36 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I'll post this here from another thread:

If we lose Sunday, and the other teams below us win most or all of their games during out 5 day break, we could technically be in last place (if we lose Sunday but Florida wins their next 4 games, they will be 1 point ahead of us and we would be in last place).
I think the bottom 3 is pretty much set: Florida, Buffalo, and Colorado. The Flyers realistically could be looking at the 4th overall. They do have a tough schedule though so a further collapse is possible. Besides the Rangers twice, which is a good bet for two losses, the Flyers only have 5 games remaining against non-playoff teams: Islanders 3x, Washington, and Buffalo. Next weeks games against the Islanders and Capitals are huge in regards to draft position.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:41 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
The reason Nichushkin is left out is because he plays in a lower Russian league. I'm not saying he isn't going to be a very good player (his play at the WJC and the Subway series showed he has serious talent), but nobody knows what he wants to do. He had an opportunity to showcase himself and play in North America and he turned it down. Usually, that's a warning sign right there. With that being said, he has stated that he wants to play in the NHL, so at least there's some acknowledgement there. The biggest issue though is that there doesn't seem to be a time frame as to when he would want to come over.
He played 20 games on a very good KHL team and did fairly well so I don't quite get the lower league stuff. He was awesome at the WJC as well.

Quote:
Signed with the KHL for two more years. "Russian factor" worry that he might stay in the KHL or return there ala Radulov. I can ony see teams with a Russian base willing to take him.
Two years takes him to his age 20 season. That's when Malkin came over and ahead of Tarasenko and Kuznetsov. He's not ready next year, so basically you're waiting on one year. There's always going to be the "Russian Factor" with Russian players. You have to do your homework. That said, he should be in the discussion. Not saying he should be the pick but to talk about taking guys like Monahan, Ristolainen, Zadaorov, Lindholm and not even have him in the discussion just doesn't seem right. He's a cut above those guys if we're talking strictly hockey.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:43 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I cannot imagine the "handedness" of a defenseman in any way impacting a team's evaluation of a player. Perhaps if two guys were equal, you could use it as a differentiation tool, but including it in your ranking criteria? Laughable of you ask me.
No doubt but if Nurse continues to rise, I could see it mattering. Adam Oates is a huge proponent of everybody playing on their correct side. I think that is starting to matter more and more to teams. If like you said both players are equal, I think it could come into play. I know Jones is the consensus #1 but I could see some teams thinking Nurse, who is a different style of defensemen, might be equal long term or more of what their team needs.

Edit: if the rumors were true that the Flyers liked Siemens more than Hamilton, I could see them ranking Nurse higher than Jones.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:47 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Agreed. Jones is clearly ahead of Nurse. To take Nurse over Jones just because he's a lefty is being very narrow minded. If Colorado passed on the local kid, Jones, just because Tyson Barrie and Stefan Elliot (Tyson Barrie and Stefan Elliot!!!) they would have to move the franchise back to Quebec. Jones is talented enough to play either side anyway.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:52 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:

Edit: if the rumors were true that the Flyers liked Siemens more than Hamilton, I could see them ranking Nurse higher than Jones.
Possible, but I'd be surprised. Hamilton was not necessarily considered a franchise-caliber defenseman even at his draft, right?

It would be more like the Flyers preferring Siemens over Larsson, which we have no reason to believe was the case.

The more I hear / read about Nurse, the more I could accept that as a decent consolation prize for a lost season.

Assuming that the Flyers pick somewhere between 4-9 or so, and assuming that Jones, MacKinnon, and Drouin are all off the board in some order, that would seem to leave the following as the next best available (in alphabetical order):

- Barkov
- Lindholm
- Monahan
- Nichushkin
- Nurse
- Ristolainen

Quote:
Agreed. Jones is clearly ahead of Nurse. To take Nurse over Jones just because he's a lefty is being very narrow minded. If Colorado passed on the local kid, Jones, just because Tyson Barrie and Stefan Elliot (Tyson Barrie and Stefan Elliot!!!) they would have to move the franchise back to Quebec. Jones is talented enough to play either side anyway.
He spent time in Colorado, but was born and raised in Texas, no?

In any case, I can't see Colorado passing on Jones if he's there simply because of their plethora of centers--unless they project either Drouin or MacKinnon to wing.

I believe that the franchise has traditionally been reluctant to draft Russians (though they did acquire Varlamov), so Nichushkin could slip by them even if they are #4 and the top-three are off the board.

Closed Thread