HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

corey perry signs with ana 8yrs 66m

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2013, 05:45 AM
  #26
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 19,270
vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
If it improves the Wings chances of acquiring Bobby Ryan, then this is great news!
It does.. but it does so too for the rest of eastern conference.

One step forward and one step back.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:10 AM
  #27
Zetterberg4Captain
Registered User
 
Zetterberg4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,447
vCash: 500
great job anaheim, they deserved to be able to keep him

no team should build its future through free agency, its terrible mgmt to hope for guys to hit free agency

well done anaheim

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:17 AM
  #28
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 9,111
vCash: 500
I don't think is it a good management to hang 17 million dollars on two players, when your internal cap is 57 million. That's 30% of the total salary budget for two players. But of course, they are the greatest workhorses, merchandise sale machines and building blocks there. Time will tell is it a good or bad way to build.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:17 AM
  #29
Zetterberg4Captain
Registered User
 
Zetterberg4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
I don't think is it a good management to hang 17 million dollars on two players, when your internal cap is 57 million. That's 30% of the total salary budget for two players. But of course, they are the greatest workhorses, merchandise sale machines and building blocks there. Time will tell is it a good or bad way to build.
crosby and malkin will get even more

a younger datsyuk and zetterberg would also get that kind of money

the Kings have 5 players who make 5.5 million a season or more with their captain commanding a solid raise next summer

the ducks have one of the strongest prospect pools in the league, easily top 5. this was a great move by them to reward its young superstars who they drafted and developed so well(and didnt require top picks to acheive it)

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:37 AM
  #30
BSHH
HSVer & Rotflügel
 
BSHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hamburg
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,030
vCash: 500
Perry's contract is another proof that the new CBA rules lead to substantially higher annual cap hits. Detroit's decision, not to use up the remaining cap space last summer (provided that the funds were made available by the owner, which one might start to doubt) proved to be the wrong one - the window for utilizing longer contracts for smaller cap hits has closed.

Gruß,
BSHH

BSHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:50 AM
  #31
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given
 
RedMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Under the Bridge
Posts: 4,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHH View Post
Perry's contract is another proof that the new CBA rules lead to substantially higher annual cap hits. Detroit's decision, not to use up the remaining cap space last summer (provided that the funds were made available by the owner, which one might start to doubt) proved to be the wrong one - the window for utilizing longer contracts for smaller cap hits has closed.

Gruß,
BSHH
Or, you know, teams just shouldn't pay stupid money for players.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:51 AM
  #32
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please
 
ArGarBarGar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 26,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHH View Post
Perry's contract is another proof that the new CBA rules lead to substantially higher annual cap hits. Detroit's decision, not to use up the remaining cap space last summer (provided that the funds were made available by the owner, which one might start to doubt) proved to be the wrong one - the window for utilizing longer contracts for smaller cap hits has closed.

Gruß,
BSHH
Implying they didn't attempt to spend that cap space.

Let's not go over this "zomg they didn't try hard enough for Suter/Parise! Yes they did!" crap again.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:59 AM
  #33
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHH View Post
Perry's contract is another proof that the new CBA rules lead to substantially higher annual cap hits. Detroit's decision, not to use up the remaining cap space last summer (provided that the funds were made available by the owner, which one might start to doubt) proved to be the wrong one - the window for utilizing longer contracts for smaller cap hits has closed.

Gruß,
BSHH
Not sure I would call the contracts signed in the summer smaller cap hits. The real bargains with the long term deals are guys like Zetterberg and Hossa where the actual cap hit is way below market value, not Parise and Suter who both have a market value salary and cap hit. I'd rather take Perry's new contract on the books over Parise's.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:10 AM
  #34
Zetterberg4Captain
Registered User
 
Zetterberg4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Not sure I would call the contracts signed in the summer smaller cap hits. The real bargains with the long term deals are guys like Zetterberg and Hossa where the actual cap hit is way below market value, not Parise and Suter who both have a market value salary and cap hit. I'd rather take Perry's new contract on the books over Parise's.
zetts and hossa deals were different time, less actual cap dollars available per team, older players, less acomplished players

if datsyuk today was 26/27 years old, one year removed from winning the hart trophy and UFA this summer, he too would get a 8 year 8 plus million dollar contract

some wings fans are simply jealous or bitter or both that another empty dream they had of signing a top free agent goes out the window(just like it should)

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:12 AM
  #35
Zetterberg4Captain
Registered User
 
Zetterberg4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
Or, you know, teams just shouldn't pay stupid money for players.
so if we had getzlaf and perry you woudl say and be strongly advocating that we should let both of them walk?

what about if we had toews and kane, or crosby and malkin or heaven forbid, a younger datsyuk and zetterberg?

give me a break, no team, no fans want to see their superstar young players that they drafted and they developed walk away

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:42 AM
  #36
Shoalzie
Registered User
 
Shoalzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Portland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 14,182
vCash: 500
Would you rather give "max deals" to Malkin/Crosby or Getzlaf/Perry? I know those two are important to the Ducks but did they have to go all in them to that extent? The Ducks are officially married to those guys because those will be ugly cap numbers to move when they're at the end of those deals.

While I don't approve of the back-diving deals...I'm glad the Wings got those contracts for Hank and Mule done when they did.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:00 AM
  #37
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 14,088
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
If the Ducks didn't keep them, what was the alternative? they won't get anything better in free agency, and I'm not sure they have the assets to trade for replacements. With Koivu and Selanne either retiring or approaching retirement, the Ducks need to keep their young, big guns or risk falling into the cellar - something I'm not sure is much of an option if they hope to maintain a fan base.

__________________
blah, blah, blah
Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:19 AM
  #38
Crymson
Fire Holland
 
Crymson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
Implying they didn't attempt to spend that cap space.

Let's not go over this "zomg they didn't try hard enough for Suter/Parise! Yes they did!" crap again.
Aye.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:26 AM
  #39
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,952
vCash: 500
Well, there went that...

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:45 PM
  #40
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
zetts and hossa deals were different time, less actual cap dollars available per team, older players, less acomplished players

if datsyuk today was 26/27 years old, one year removed from winning the hart trophy and UFA this summer, he too would get a 8 year 8 plus million dollar contract

some wings fans are simply jealous or bitter or both that another empty dream they had of signing a top free agent goes out the window(just like it should)
That's kind of my point. The long term deals were starting to run their course. The whole purpose was to get the cap hit down by circumventing the spirit of the rules. The most recent example of Weber, Suter and Parise are not really bending the rules at all, they're just long deals.

And if you take the Z and Hossa deals and adjust them to the $64M cap, they still won't come close to the recent ones. Z was a mere one year older than Parise when he signed his contract. Less accomplished.. well you might want to look that up.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:55 PM
  #41
Bob Probert Owns You
Registered User
 
Bob Probert Owns You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 6,398
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
Is it going to be another downer of an off-season for the Wings? I fear so.

Bob Probert Owns You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:00 PM
  #42
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Would you rather give "max deals" to Malkin/Crosby or Getzlaf/Perry? I know those two are important to the Ducks but did they have to go all in them to that extent? The Ducks are officially married to those guys because those will be ugly cap numbers to move when they're at the end of those deals.

While I don't approve of the back-diving deals...I'm glad the Wings got those contracts for Hank and Mule done when they did.
The Ducks did what they had to do.
It's going to be rough for a year or two, but once the cap rises, they'll be fine.

Those capdiving deals seem great now... but wait until 2018, when Franzen, Zetterberg and Kronwall retire and we're paying $7M for NOBODY

And let's be real... what magnificent players have we been able to afford because of these Cap Diving Deals?

You know it allowed? it allowed us to overspend on vets who we should have let walk.

It allowed us to bury prospects in the AHL

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:31 PM
  #43
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given
 
RedMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Under the Bridge
Posts: 4,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
so if we had getzlaf and perry you woudl say and be strongly advocating that we should let both of them walk?

what about if we had toews and kane, or crosby and malkin or heaven forbid, a younger datsyuk and zetterberg?

give me a break, no team, no fans want to see their superstar young players that they drafted and they developed walk away
Um, no, I did not say that. Not even close. Not even a little bit. None of those words EVER crossed my mind, into my fingers, through the wonder that is the Internet, and onto this message board. This is getting ridiculous. Are people here so eager to get into arguments that they just toss words into other peoples' mouths then go off on them about it? I mean, ****ing seriously folks, any chance we can give that a rest for a while?

As a response: I would simply be unhappy with two contracts that took up roughly 1/4 of the available cap space for next season. Granted, the cap is likely to go up, but how much is anyone's guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
If the Ducks didn't keep them, what was the alternative? they won't get anything better in free agency, and I'm not sure they have the assets to trade for replacements. With Koivu and Selanne either retiring or approaching retirement, the Ducks need to keep their young, big guns or risk falling into the cellar - something I'm not sure is much of an option if they hope to maintain a fan base.
Hey, if they want to potentially handicap themselves for the future, that's -- quite literally -- their business. Simply put, I would not want those two contracts on my books -- and if that puts me in the minority, so be it.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:37 PM
  #44
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
so if we had getzlaf and perry you woudl say and be strongly advocating that we should let both of them walk?

what about if we had toews and kane, or crosby and malkin or heaven forbid, a younger datsyuk and zetterberg?

give me a break, no team, no fans want to see their superstar young players that they drafted and they developed walk away
I don't see where Red was advocating for that.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:46 PM
  #45
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 14,088
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
Hey, if they want to potentially handicap themselves for the future, that's -- quite literally -- their business. Simply put, I would not want those two contracts on my books -- and if that puts me in the minority, so be it.
I don't know if you're in the minority, and I don't entirely disagree with you, I'm just not sure how much of a choice Anaheim had. If Perry was a center, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but that much for a wing...I don't know.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:52 PM
  #46
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Perry is a Hart Trophy winner.
If you want elite talent, you pay for it.

If you want Mikeal Sammuelsson, you can pay $3M a year

People need to get a better handle on the market. Wings fans are out of touch with reality. Maybe it's because we haven't signed an elite player to a normal deal in 6 years...

But consider... if Pavel Datsyuk was worth $6.5M a year in 2008, when some still questioned his ability/toughness and the cap was $46M or whatever...

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:56 PM
  #47
Zetterberg4Captain
Registered User
 
Zetterberg4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
Um, no, I did not say that. Not even close. Not even a little bit. None of those words EVER crossed my mind, into my fingers, through the wonder that is the Internet, and onto this message board. This is getting ridiculous. Are people here so eager to get into arguments that they just toss words into other peoples' mouths then go off on them about it? I mean, ****ing seriously folks, any chance we can give that a rest for a while?

As a response: I would simply be unhappy with two contracts that took up roughly 1/4 of the available cap space for next season. Granted, the cap is likely to go up, but how much is anyone's guess.



Hey, if they want to potentially handicap themselves for the future, that's -- quite literally -- their business. Simply put, I would not want those two contracts on my books -- and if that puts me in the minority, so be it.
you said teams "shouldnt pay stupid money for players."

that means you feel the Ducks paid stupid money for getzlaf and perry as both getzlaf and perry are players and the ducks just paid them.

what would you do as the ducks GM?

if this summer datsyuk and zetterberg were both 26/27 and ufa's would you let them walk? its all great to say no sign them for less but that only happens if they take less then the market dicactes they're worth and that rarely happens around the nhl. guys like perry and getzlaf and suter and parise and weber get paid and paid well.

this isnt arguementative by any strech just was looking for more clairty is all

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:57 PM
  #48
Detroit Sports
NMC aka LOL -Jimmy H
 
Detroit Sports's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
Perry is a Hart Trophy winner.
If you want elite talent, you pay for it.


If you want Mikeal Sammuelsson, you can pay $3M a year

People need to get a better handle on the market. Wings fans are out of touch with reality. Maybe it's because we haven't signed an elite player to a normal deal in 6 years...

But consider... if Pavel Datsyuk was worth $6.5M a year in 2008, when some still questioned his ability/toughness and the cap was $46M or whatever...
exactly. i think this is a huge loss. everyone was so quick to want to give parise 100m+ i rather have perry over him. we need a prolific scorer with a right handed shot in his prime

Detroit Sports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:18 PM
  #49
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 14,088
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Sports View Post
exactly. i think this is a huge loss. everyone was so quick to want to give parise 100m+ i rather have perry over him. we need a prolific scorer with a right handed shot in his prime
I'm not sure I remember a lot of people pushing to give Parise north of $100M. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought the Wild's original offer was substantially less than what he ended up getting because Suter was willing to take less so they would have equal contracts.

Perry's probably worth it, but I still don't like that much for a wing.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:23 PM
  #50
TatarTangle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Ken Holland is going to have to offer Pavel Datsyuk $10 million to even try to get him to stay. The more elite free agents I see signed to long-term deals the more depressed I get about how bad this team could be when Datsyuk leaves. The odds of Detroit ever signing a big free agent with Ken Holland at the Helm is about .01%

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.