HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs/Blues talking Stewart?

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 07:00 AM
Frenzy1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avec Fromage View Post
lol.
What is so funny about that? You want something with a lot of value, offer something you don't want to give up. Make the Blues better, not worse. If you don't want to do that, then QUIT the Stewart for scraps proposals.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:11 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Gunnarsson + Kulemin for Stewart?

Gunnarsson can play with Pietrangelo. Kulemin replaces Stewart on the RW.
Again, Toronto wouldn't trade either of those guys for Stewart, nevermind both.

Toronto's problem is keeping the puck away from, and out of their net. Kulemin & Gunnarsson contribute substantially more to that than Stewart would.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:13 AM
Hawaiinleaf

given prices being asked for various players i am wondering if the Leafs are better off doing the following

1. Trading a Centre + to land a top 4 RHD that we need so bad

2. Get Clowe he is cheap now given his play opposite of Stewart who was crappy up until ver recently. Clowe will fill 2nd line size need until Biggs is ready then Clowe can fit on our 3rd or 4th line..

2. Trade other assets for picks in this years draft

Keep Kulemon

Then with our 1st + additional picks package up to get Monahan as our 1C

Old
03-19-2013, 07:19 AM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
Hey leafs fans. Start with kadri and add.

Kuli doesn't add anything that we don't have in spades. You want stewart - give up something that hurts.
We'll add Kulemin, Gunnarsson and a second. Then we'll subtract Kadri. That's more than fair.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:29 AM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
We'll add Kulemin, Gunnarsson and a second. Then we'll subtract Kadri. That's more than fair.
Russell, Dagostini and a second for Kadri then.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:30 AM
Vladys Gumption

Quote:
Then we'll be keeping Stewart. That offer does not make the Blues better.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:36 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:
wait until Stewart cools off. Blues fans will be begging for us to take him.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:38 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Wow you guys get hostile fast lol.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:47 AM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

vCash: 270
Scraps for Stewart in this thread.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:53 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

New thread...same offer. How about Dags, 2nd and Redden for Gardiner? You get futures. Dags will give you someone that can actually help your big club and Redden can replace Gardiner in the minors... Unfortunately, you need to give up something to get something. If we are not getting better in the deal, then we aren't interested in making one.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:54 AM
SprDaVE

I have no idea why the Leafs have any interest in another (scoring) winger. That's the least of their problems... so this is all but bullcrap.

I doubt this has any substance unless the deal is bigger than just for Stewart.

I can't think of a big deal that would be fair for both teams.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:57 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
I have no idea why the Leafs have any interest in another winger.
Exactly. If the Leafs are going to give up the pieces to acquire somebody like Stewart... you would think they'd be targeting a weakness on the teams depth chart, not literally the strongest part of it...

Old
03-19-2013, 08:08 AM
showtime8

Before I figure out an offer, what are the limits on the organization financially? From what I've heard, they are a self imposed cap (from management) so that will have a lot to do with what the Blues can take on and what sort of assets they receive.

Players that have to get paid are the aforementioned Stewart, Berglund, D'Agostini, Pietrangelo, Russell, Cole and Shattenkirk.

So with Pietrangelo likely to get a big ticket and Berglund likely to get a nice deal, the Blues might be looking to take on a low salary? Unfortunately I think that a guy like Matt Frattin would have to be involved. Very capable of playing in their system because of size and skillset and also has a very reasonable cap hit.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:19 AM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
Then we'll be keeping Stewart. That offer does not make the Blues better.
Oh well, guess there's no trade. Good luck with Stewart (I don't mean this sarcastically) - Hopefully there's a better trade to be had in the future between the two teams. We'll look somewhere else.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:20 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Kulemin + Liles
for
Stewart

would there be any interest in that?
Not sure what STL D looks like.

Looking again, and reading reaction. Have a feeling they are looking for a complete upgrade for their overachieving winger; doubt the Leafs have the assets to overpay, if that is the case.
OH Come on?

Stewart is a beast and your offering role players that make a ton and underachieve. Liles is also like 33

Old
03-19-2013, 08:21 AM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
Before I figure out an offer, what are the limits on the organization financially? From what I've heard, they are a self imposed cap (from management) so that will have a lot to do with what the Blues can take on and what sort of assets they receive.

Players that have to get paid are the aforementioned Stewart, Berglund, D'Agostini, Pietrangelo, Russell, Cole and Shattenkirk.

So with Pietrangelo likely to get a big ticket and Berglund likely to get a nice deal, the Blues might be looking to take on a low salary? Unfortunately I think that a guy like Matt Frattin would have to be involved. Very capable of playing in their system because of size and skillset and also has a very reasonable cap hit.
To be honest, it is tough to see any possible deal with Toronto. If Stewart gets moved then a partner for Pietrangelo needs to be coming back, and the Leafs don't have the player that really fits the bill. Gardiner isn't the skill-set we'd likely be looking for, Gunnarsson is a good player but isn't certain to be the answer to what we are looking for etc.

The other area that might be a need is C. But I think the plan is to go with Backes, Berglund, Lehterä and Sobotka down the middle next season, so I don't think we'd be wanting to give up Stewart to address that area.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:23 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:

In an attempt to salvage a smidge of value from this thread, here's the lowdown:

Blues internal cap has hovered between $50-55 million the last few years. We're under new ownership so that might change, but it seems like a reasonable place to start since Stillman was part of the previous ownership group as well.

The Blues currently have $30.9 million committed to 12 players for next year, with 7 pending RFAs of note and 4 pending UFAs. Of the RFAs, D'Agostini is the only one that probably isn't going to be retained. He's pressbox material when the team is healthy due to the sheer organizational depth at wing, and the Blues aren't going to pay him $1.6+ for that. Elliott is also a likely candidate to be moved/waived and replaced with Allen, which would save another million or so. Let's say those both happen.

Let's conservatively say the Blues pay Pietrangelo $6, Shattenkirk $4.5, Stewart $4.5, Berglund $4.25, Russell $1.75, and Cole $1.75. That puts them the team at 18 contracts worth about $52.6 million. All that needs replacing is McDonald, Nichol, Langenbrunner, D'Agostini, and Redden. Pretty much all of that can be done internally/cheaply, which will put the Blues right in that $55 range.

The better the RFA contracts DA negotiates (and he's consistently negotiated some great ones), the more room they have to fill out the rest of the roster. At this point it doesn't look like any of the key RFAs will need to be moved for financial reasons.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:38 AM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
In an attempt to salvage a smidge of value from this thread, here's the lowdown:

Blues internal cap has hovered between $50-55 million the last few years. We're under new ownership so that might change, but it seems like a reasonable place to start since Stillman was part of the previous ownership group as well.

The Blues currently have $30.9 million committed to 12 players for next year, with 7 pending RFAs of note and 4 pending UFAs. Of the RFAs, D'Agostini is the only one that probably isn't going to be retained. He's pressbox material when the team is healthy due to the sheer organizational depth at wing, and the Blues aren't going to pay him $1.6+ for that. Elliott is also a likely candidate to be moved/waived and replaced with Allen, which would save another million or so. Let's say those both happen.

Let's conservatively say the Blues pay Pietrangelo $6, Shattenkirk $4.5, Stewart $4.5, Berglund $4.25, Russell $1.75, and Cole $1.75. That puts them the team at 18 contracts worth about $52.6 million. All that needs replacing is McDonald, Nichol, Langenbrunner, D'Agostini, and Redden. Pretty much all of that can be done internally/cheaply, which will put the Blues right in that $55 range.

The better the RFA contracts DA negotiates (and he's consistently negotiated some great ones), the more room they have to fill out the rest of the roster. At this point it doesn't look like any of the key RFAs will need to be moved for financial reasons.
Lots of great insight there. Thanks for that.

While I agree that those are realistic salary projections, I think the biggest thing for the team would be to find that veteran experience. You are taking out names like McDonald and Langenbrunner that have definitely been around the block. So you are likely going to have to spend a couple mill on vets that can bring that aspect to the dressing room.

I really think that Frattin is a cheaper version of Stewart. Both have the physical side of the game and have the ability to score 25 goals in a season. We haven't seen it from Frattin yet because he hasn't had a full chance at showing because of a shortened season and injuries.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:40 AM
OILSLICK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Kulemin + Liles
for
Stewart

would there be any interest in that?
Not sure what STL D looks like.

Looking again, and reading reaction. Have a feeling they are looking for a complete upgrade for their overachieving winger; doubt the Leafs have the assets to overpay, if that is the case.
Try Gardiner and Kulemin
FOR
Stewart

With the way Stewart has been playing his value is thru the roof.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:46 AM
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald

This deal surrounding Kulemin+ for Stewart... really depends on the "+". Kulemin + Gunnarsson is overpayment IMO.

How about:

Nikolai Kulemin
Carl Gunnarsson

Chris Stewart
2nd Round 2013

Old
03-19-2013, 08:49 AM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

vCash: 50
ohh pls,this has to be a contract year for chris because hes actually playing

Old
03-19-2013, 08:52 AM
Vladys Gumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
wait until Stewart cools off. Blues fans will be begging for us to take him.
Highly doubtful. Most of us Blues fans weren't trying to give him away last year.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:52 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Lots of great insight there. Thanks for that.

While I agree that those are realistic salary projections, I think the biggest thing for the team would be to find that veteran experience. You are taking out names like McDonald and Langenbrunner that have definitely been around the block. So you are likely going to have to spend a couple mill on vets that can bring that aspect to the dressing room.

I really think that Frattin is a cheaper version of Stewart. Both have the physical side of the game and have the ability to score 25 goals in a season. We haven't seen it from Frattin yet because he hasn't had a full chance at showing because of a shortened season and injuries.
I agree that it will be interesting on how they handle the experience end of things. For the most part we can only speculate on the dynamics of the locker room, so it's hard to know just how much of the leadership is coming from where.

In the end, it might honestly depend on how the rest of this season and the playoffs go. If the Blues can go fairly deep, the organization might decide that the leadership of Backes, Jackman, etc. is sufficient. Or they might decide that keeping all the RFA talent is more important to winning than adding leadership. Or they might use the playoff run to figure out who to keep, and who to trade off for a better (veteran?) fit.

Lots of ways this could play out in the offseason. I think the most important thing to take from all this, though, is that whatever pressure there might be to make an in-season trade isn't going to stem from finances. It's going to stem from making the team better.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:53 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBLEAF View Post
ohh pls,this has to be a contract year for chris because hes actually playing
You do know that last year was a contract year for him as well, right?

Old
03-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Tripod

As a fan of neither team...these are some sad proposals for Stewart. Kumelin and Liles??? Really????
Kumi-has had point of 31, 36, 57, 28, and now on pace for 39(full season). I think it's safe to say he is a 30-40 point guy. 1 fluke year doesn't make up for the other 4 years of evidence.

Stewart-19 in rookie season then 64, 53(in 62 g), 30 and now on pace for 82(full season). Certainly the 30 looks like a bad year...and maybe the 82 is a fluke year. But I think it's safe to say he is a 60+ point guy.

The difference of the 2 players is not Liles...who has been a healthy scratch over AHLer's this year.

Closed Thread