HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Fans of relocated teams

Old
03-19-2013, 07:21 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

vCash: 500
Fans of relocated teams

The Quebec Nordiques, Hartford Whalers, Cleveland Barons, KC Scouts, Atlanta Thrashers are among the relocated franchises, but what happened to those former fans? Do the Sharks have former Golden Seals fans? I presume the Avalanche have fans that supported the Rockies, but who do the disenfranchised support?

I don't mean to open old wounds, but the rivals thread made me miss the Whalers and Nordiques, so I'm just wondering if the crowds started to support the Rangers or Bruins or Habs? Or if you continued to follow the team regardless of the city?

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:26 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

The Canes board still has an original Whalers fan or two. My sense is that the rest of them either converted to NYR/Bruins or simply stopped following the NHL as closely.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:27 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
I know some Thrasher fans are Jets fans. I also know a few Whaler fans who are Devil fans now.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:28 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

I know a Nordiques fan who now is a fan of whoever plays the Habs on any given night.

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:36 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

When the Thrashers relocated HFBoards had a "Fan Draft" where teams could draft Thrashers fans to become a fan of their team. Some fans stayed with their new teams (The Devils got a gem in Rhodes81) while others stopped following or began following the Jets

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:38 AM
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
I know a Nordiques fan who now is a fan of whoever plays the Habs on any given night.
Sounds like a guy I know. Did this guy you know also jump on the Lightning's bandwagon the year they won the cup because they had a couple Quebec boys?

kovatroll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:41 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKQ View Post
When the Thrashers relocated HFBoards had a "Fan Draft" where teams could draft Thrashers fans to become a fan of their team. Some fans stayed with their new teams (The Devils got a gem in Rhodes81) while others stopped following or began following the Jets
That's hilarious! What a great idea! Curious if these drafted fans have stuck to their 'contracts'.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:43 AM
Smelling Salt

Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
I was a North Stars fan who followed them to Dallas. Went a few years refusing to refer to them as Dallas, though. The Norm Green bitterness eventually disapated.

Smelling Salt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:55 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
That's hilarious! What a great idea! Curious if these drafted fans have stuck to their 'contracts'.
From what I recall, only a couple have really stuck to their new teams. Most just drifted away, which is fair enough considering what they went through. It was still a lot of fun and a good send-off for the Thrashers. The draft itself was probably the highlight of that whole season on HF.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:09 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
The Canes board still has an original Whalers fan or two. My sense is that the rest of them either converted to NYR/Bruins or simply stopped following the NHL as closely.
I really miss the Whalers.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:22 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Swallows View Post
Sounds like a guy I know. Did this guy you know also jump on the Lightning's bandwagon the year they won the cup because they had a couple Quebec boys?
Well he's a she, so....

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:22 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
From what I recall, only a couple have really stuck to their new teams. Most just drifted away, which is fair enough considering what they went through. It was still a lot of fun and a good send-off for the Thrashers. The draft itself was probably the highlight of that whole season on HF.
Top draft choice Juzmo still pops up every now and then on the Stars board.

03-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Top draft choice Juzmo still pops up every now and then on the Stars board.
I lurk around quite a bit, but can't catch games or GDTs often unless they start at 2am or earlier here.

Stars have been my favorite team in the league ever since the Thrashers left. All the passion isn't there obviously, but it's nice to be a part of the group.

Juzmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:09 AM
buketdude

Whalers fan here....stopped following hockey for a couple years..became a Wild fan when they entered NHL.....still never giving up hope the Whalers will return..and will always be a Wild fan

buketdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Step
GO SENS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buketdude View Post
Whalers fan here....stopped following hockey for a couple years..became a Wild fan when they entered NHL.....still never giving up hope the Whalers will return..and will always be a Wild fan
Always wondered. Do you think a team would work (again) in Hartford? What's the area like for hockey-lovers, arena? Etc...

03-19-2013, 10:26 AM
EvilElf63

I have a question too. If you live in Nassau county, have you checked out on the Islanders yet?

But really, I'm curious for those Islander fans: what are you going to do?

EvilElf63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:28 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
The Quebec Nordiques, Hartford Whalers, Cleveland Barons, KC Scouts, Atlanta Thrashers are among the relocated franchises, but what happened to those former fans? Do the Sharks have former Golden Seals fans? I presume the Avalanche have fans that supported the Rockies, but who do the disenfranchised support?

I don't mean to open old wounds, but the rivals thread made me miss the Whalers and Nordiques, so I'm just wondering if the crowds started to support the Rangers or Bruins or Habs? Or if you continued to follow the team regardless of the city?
Having had experience with this when the North Stars abandoned Minnesota in '93, I didn't become a fan of a team in particular for those 7 years without the NHL, I just followed certain players for the most part. Was still a fan of Neal Broten and loved seeing him get his cup with the Devils etc. Became a huge fan of Joe Sakic too and Nick Lidstrom as well.

Then the Wild came to town and I had an allegiance to follow again finally...but that made games vs the Avs tough to watch in particular, as I had rooted for Sakic to do well for quite some time...when he became the original Wild killer it was so bitter sweet to see him snipe an OT game winner vs my favorite team.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Mouse21*

one of the most beautiful jerseys of all time.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:11 AM
BorzNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilElf63 View Post
I have a question too. If you live in Nassau county, have you checked out on the Islanders yet?

Be happy as hell that we still have our team a short ride away (instead of a 10 minute car ride, a 45 minute train ride) better than them relocating to Quebec or Seattle, etc.

Most Islander fans you will talk to will be a little sad that they are leaving Nassau but are enthused about what the move to Brooklyn means for the bottom line financially (maybe even wang selling) and that they will still be around!

The black cloud that was around the 2015 end of lease date is finally gone...

BorzNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Vander Teemuchuk

I guess I'm somewhat relevant here. I didn't follow the Jets going to Phoenix because of 2 main reasons. We traded Teemu before the Jets left. And they traded for Roenick during the summer. The Jets would never have done so, so it was a pretty big change in personnel and a new stamp was put on the franchise.

I tried supporting the Wild when they came in. But it was hard to get into Jaques Lemaire hockey without the passion of it really feeling like the home team. Instead, my allegiance went to the hated Oilers for the most part. I adopted them as Jets-lite since they were in danger of relocation for a few years there too, all the while still icing very competitive teams. Safe to say now that the old hatred from the 80s is back alive and well, and we're not even in the same conference yet. **** the Oil.

When we move to the Central it's going to be very cool to see how our games in Nashville go as Thrasher fans seem to be a bit torn between those 2 franchises.

Vander Teemuchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:04 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
I didn't follow at team in the inter-Jets period. I tried to follow the Devils or Flames or Leafs, but nothing felt right. I followed star players more than anything.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Bongo

It's mighty hard being a hockey fan here in Atlanta. I consider myself more a fan of the game(the League not so much)rather than a specific team.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:47 PM
ds4130

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilElf63 View Post

If the Islanders weren't moving to Brooklyn I'd probably remain a fan of the team wherever they moved to.

I actually prefer Brooklyn over Uniondale. That part of Long Island really isn't that nice or appealing and them moving to Brooklyn gives me a reason to go to the city much more often.

Edit: All of you older Islanders fans, please forgive me for being ignorant. I wasn't around when they played in the Dynasty era, I didn't start watching hockey until the mid-late 90's so that building doesn't have any "sentimental value" to me.

ds4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:06 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

If anything it has made me more interested in Nashville and I watch more teams but it's still Jets (Thrashers) as #1 for me.

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
The draft itself was probably the highlight of that whole season on HF.
Ya, I invited several to join LeafNation, declined, stating they didnt think their livers could handle any more punishment.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote