HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 12:06 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

vCash: 500
Took the family to see Oz the Great and Powerful today. Tough to make up my mind on this one. I liked it......but didn't love it and probably won't be too memorable. A lot of scenery chewing-but that's not surprising given the cast. I think the biggest problem is the cast lacked depth. Kunis in particular was a bit out of her element. I will say that a film like this makes you appreciate the original Wizard of Oz. What an achievement that was for it's time.

Old
03-17-2013, 06:57 AM
buckridesagain*

The Karate Kid (2010) 0/10

It was on cable so I figured "**** it". What a load of ********!

Old
03-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Ceremony
SKYLERWHITEBESTWHITE

vCash: 50
Three films this weekend, two Herzog numbers:

Aguirre, Wrath of God - About a bunch of people on a raft going down a river looking for El Dorado, led by a man who looks like Vigo out of Ghostbusters 2. It was a good film, if not something I found particularly life-affirming or anything. Excellent soundtrack.

Fitzcarraldo - With the same guy from Aguirre in the title role looking somehow more insane, I didn't like this one as much. I could never really figure out what the point in any of them doing anything was.

Apocalypse Now... I've seen this before, and this time it started off better, I was really enjoying it, then I got to about 2/3 of the way in and it starts to drag... then Dennis Hopper turns up and it just gets weird and draggy.

03-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Sergei Makarov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post

Aguirre, Wrath of God - About a bunch of people on a raft going down a river looking for El Dorado, led by a man who looks like Vigo out of Ghostbusters 2. It was a good film, if not something I found particularly life-affirming or anything. Excellent soundtrack.

Fitzcarraldo - With the same guy from Aguirre in the title role looking somehow more insane, I didn't like this one as much. I could never really figure out what the point in any of them doing anything was.

Apocalypse Now... I've seen this before, and this time it started off better, I was really enjoying it, then I got to about 2/3 of the way in and it starts to drag... then Dennis Hopper turns up and it just gets weird and draggy.
That man is one of the greatest actors of all time: Klaus Kinski

Old
03-17-2013, 10:30 PM
Xelebes

vCash: 692
Oz, the Great and Powerful

5/10

The good:

Plenty of Judie Garland-esque camp
The China Doll was the strongest character
Had a pretty good beginning

The bad:

Thematically, it was very weak. And due to the thematic weakness, the end came stumbling like a drunk falling down the stairs. First and foremost, L. Frank Baum had the main characters female because. . . well, I'm not sure. Some say he was sympathetic to the feminist causes, maybe he targeted the books to girls or opted to throw in girls instead of boys for whatever reason. Whatever. The main characters throughout the entirety of the series of books is female. The male characters are for the most part not the main driving characters. So what do we get? The thrusting of the wizard into the main role demanding that he have a victory streeeeeeeeeetches things.

Secondly, the insistence of romance to fuel the story. L. Frank Baum eschewed romance in his books because children would not be interested in romance. Shoehorning romance into this novel made it feel awkward. Firstly, there is no indication that Glinda had any intimate relationship with the Wizard in the books. But let's forget that. The romance gets in the way of the story, shoehorning Glinda into the damsel in distress trope and giving an arbitrary reasoning for the witches of the lattitudinal dominions.

Put this altogether, and we don't have a good reason to expect the Wizard to sheepishly come out and eschew the admission to his subjects and, in the actual books, Dorothy.

Also, why is the Good Witch of the North missing? Her insertion could have provided the scriptwriter the possibility of a more plausible story. Something like the Good Witch of the South props up the Wizard, due to his ability to provide illusion, to keep the lattitudinal witches away from the throne after say, the Witch/Wizard of the Emerald City had been offed by the Wicked Witch of the East. Or something. Don't give us this rushed bag of film.

Also, Mila Kunis' acting in the transformation uh. . . sucked. The animators didn't help them with that. Note to studio: pay your animators.

There. As I said, I gave it a barely passing grade because I did not walk out of the theatre by the end. Oh well.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:20 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:

Brutal dude, shame you didn't enjoy them.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Ceremony
SKYLERWHITEBESTWHITE

I liked Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo was alright if a bit long by Apocalypse Now just can't hold my attention.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:11 PM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Cloud Atlas, 10/10, one of my top three favorite movies ever.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:14 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:
I liked Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo was alright if a bit long by Apocalypse Now just can't hold my attention.
Try reading Heart of Darkness, or reading a bit about the nature of the book. The movie capture the spirit so well, it's fascinating. It's one of the best movies ever made.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Ceremony
SKYLERWHITEBESTWHITE

I've read Heart of Darkness. I still don't like Apocalypse Now.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Stu Macher

I would put Aguirre: the Wrath of God as the best of those three movies. It's a movie that I respected when I saw it for the first time, but my love and respect has only deepened with time. It's a phenomenal film from arguably my favorite filmmaker.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:30 PM
VanCityCanuck

Lincoln. 2.5/10

Incredibly slow. Boring. The last hour was interesting.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:45 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Stoker: 5/10
To give you a sense of how alien Park Chan-wook's Stoker is, there's a moment early on where Nicole Kidman's character suggests to her daughter that they go shopping together, and the word "shopping" hits like a slap across the face. The movie seems so much like a movie that it's impossible to fathom these characters doing anything remotely human, let alone something as mundane as a trip to the mall.
As the movie plays on and you get increasingly immersed in the world of Kidman, her daughter India and her dead husband's brother, the movie starts to work a little bit better, but there are still oddly jarring moments whenever the "real world" creeps in, such as when India is at school. So it goes with the rest of the film - it takes place in a seemingly indeterminate time period, mixing past and present styles (emphasizing its sheer movieness and its stylistic overload), and the overall feel of the movie is the Addams Family gone Stepford Wives with a Hitchcockian twist.
It's not a total bust. The acting is great all-around and the movie is gorgeous. Park Chan-wook directs with flair, but ultimately his showy style is let down by a script that underdelivers. The whole thing just seems out of whack, a failed experiment that I wanted to like more than I actually did.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Dugray
No Gifs This Time

Puella Magi Madoka Magica Part 1: Beginnings

Part 1 of 2 films that are meant to transform the 12 episode Puella Magi Madoka Magica series into a more easily digestible format for wide audience. The films made their turn around the US in the fall of 2012 and after much requesting and pleading they’ve finally made their way up north for a single day single time showing in most major Canadian cities last Thursday. Part 2 will air in the same cinema’s this Wednesday at 7:30pm.

Madoka is one of the few anime to get a large screen treatment outside of Japan for one simple reason, it deserves it. Madoka Magica follows Madoka and her best friend Sayaka, a pair of carefree 14 year old girls living relatively quiet lives. Sayaka takes care of a friend whom she has feelings for after an accident that prevents him fulfilling his dreams. Madoka worries about getting boys to like her and wants to grow up faster. The quiet slice of life is changed when a new transfer student appears by the name of Homura. Not long after her arrival it is clear there is something between Madoka and Homura and a cryptic message is delivered to Madoka to cherish her friends and the family she has and not to try to change who she is, who she was, and who she should always be. However fate has twisted it’s silken strand around Madoka and a mental call for help from a bizarre creature ends up dragging her down the rabbit hole into a world full of very real danger and magic.

Madoka Magica turns a genre (The Magical Girl) on its head and explores themes that one would not expect given the cutesy visuals and the innocent and hopeful first 30 minutes. Certain events in the movie absolutely crush those expectations, violently and vividly. When it occurs, you will know it and it was enough to bring to tears some very rugged looking males in the audience. What does it mean to be human? What is a human life worth? Is there anything you’d be willing to fight and die for, and what happens when that wish becomes your greatest regret.

The visual elements of the film are truly a treat to watch especially in a large screen format. The witches lairs in particular are truly spectacular and you can truly feel it’s cruel, anguished corruption come through. But the true stand-out has always been the soundtrack which hits all the right notes.

Unfortunately, many will dismiss Madoka for much the same reasons they dismiss Grave of the Fireflies. Animated films will be viewed either as perverted fare, or as things for children. But give it a try, I assure you, it is worth your time, and I only wish I could go into more detail as to why this is the case, but I do not wish to spoil anything from the story.

Part 2 will air in limited Canadian theaters on Wednesday at 7:30.

Last edited by Dugray: 03-18-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old
03-19-2013, 08:21 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Into The Wild

I've seen it many times but watching it again after reading the book recently made it seem somehow different. It was long but they didn't get to really show how much Alexander Supertramp affected all the people he encountered - how he changed Ron Franz's life for instance.

What bothers me a lot about the movie and book is the crowds of loud-mouths who're quick to pipe in something about how selfish he was, or how preventable his death could've been. I don't buy it and neither does the movie - he lived and wandered in search of himself before taking any steps forward, a true egoist (not egotist) and that's a philosophy that I think many of us abide by. Every time he had a chance to go back something stopped him, he didn't feel ready or comfortable with the notion of going back. When he returned to LA after his kayaking misadventures he was uncomfortable with the soullessness of it all and set off again.

Toward the ending with Ron is always a sobering moment when you realize that Ron loves him as much as he's loved anyone in his life and he has just met him. That's the kind of person Alex was, a brilliant and insightful man in search for the world.

As for the movie there is very little to complain about other than, maybe, Sean Penn should lay off the close-up shots a bit and also the establishing b-roll was a bit overused. It just drew the movie out a bit I found but aside from that I can't think of much else to say. It isn't a traditional Hollywood flick but it's so well produced that it doesn't make a difference - it's just good.

I think Into the Wild is in the undercard of my top10 movies of all time list.
Filling out my Netflix Queue so forgive me for digging up an old post. The kid in "Into the Wild" was one of the more selfish characters i've come across in movies. He had a family that loved him and a good life. It was his fault/problem that he couldn't find satisfaction out of the life he had. Instead of appreciating the things he had he basically said "Hey Mom and Dad, the people that love me more than anything else in the world, **** you! I'm going to go off into the wilderness for a while and not give you any details about where i'm going or when i'll be back. Have fun dealing with it while i find myself".

He was a selfish and stupid individual and it made me really not like the movie

Old
03-19-2013, 09:10 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Filling out my Netflix Queue so forgive me for digging up an old post. The kid in "Into the Wild" was one of the more selfish characters i've come across in movies. He had a family that loved him and a good life. It was his fault/problem that he couldn't find satisfaction out of the life he had. Instead of appreciating the things he had he basically said "Hey Mom and Dad, the people that love me more than anything else in the world, **** you! I'm going to go off into the wilderness for a while and not give you any details about where i'm going or when i'll be back. Have fun dealing with it while i find myself".

He was a selfish and stupid individual and it made me really not like the movie
Yeah I think I'm with you. I'm not opposed to a story about a guy who leaves everything behind to live his own life come what may - I think it's a romantic notion that surely everyone has played out in their own heads before. But I found Into the Wild very...smug. And sanctimonious. I felt like I was being talked down to when I watched the movie. The lionization of the guy (forgot his name) isn't something I'm on board with either. He's no hero.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Shareefruck

I haven't seen the movie, but I'm not really on board with calling that selfish (to any despicable degree, anyways)

Old
03-19-2013, 09:32 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I haven't seen the movie, but I'm not really on board with calling that selfish (to any despicable degree, anyways)
If he told people where he was going, why he was going, and when he will be back/he probably won't be coming back/doesn't know when he'll be back then that would be different.

But he didn't do that, he just up and left his "unfulfilling life" and left everyone else in the dust without a clue. It's despicable to do that to people who care about you, even of you don't care about them as much.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:40 AM
xX Hot Fuss

In my Netflix Queue:

-The Watchmen (Havnt seen it in years)
-Blue Valentine (have to see it before or right after Place Beyond the Pines)
-Hotel Rwanda
-Lars and the Real Girl
-Zoolander
-Mulholland Dr

Old
03-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
If he told people where he was going, why he was going, and when he will be back/he probably won't be coming back/doesn't know when he'll be back then that would be different.

But he didn't do that, he just up and left his "unfulfilling life" and left everyone else in the dust without a clue. It's despicable to do that to people who care about you, even of you don't care about them as much.
Fair enough. That would be where I would have drawn that line, too. I guess the "It was his fault he couldn't find satisfaction with the world" comment threw me.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:32 AM
kihei

vCash: 2102
I guess I'm beginning to figure out why since Into the Wild I have always had a critical block on Emile Hirsch, the actor who played whatever his name was. I never really put two and two together before but it would seem I really, really didn't like his character in the movie. So I held it against the actor. Which is beyond dumb, but these things happen.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:40 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I guess I'm beginning to figure out why since Into the Wild I have always had a critical block on Emile Hirsch, the actor who played whatever his name was. I never really put two and two together before but it would seem I really, really didn't like his character in the movie. So I held it against the actor. Which is beyond dumb, but these things happen.
lol yeah i actually understand this weird thing that happens with movie viewers sometimes. I associated Emile with a unappreciative ****** for a a while, even after i loved him in Girl Next Door

Old
03-19-2013, 11:48 AM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

The Master - 8.3/10

Mallrats - 6.5/10

Chasing Amy - 7/10

Swingers - 7/10

Lincoln - 8.5/10

Closed Thread