HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

It's Time To #FireTambo & #FireLowe

Old
03-17-2013, 03:13 PM
shizan

vCash: 500
The heck with twitter, just go old school like Jets fans. Start the FIRE LOWE! chant next time the Oil play on TSN and hope it makes sportscenter. What I want to know is when everyone was getting fired including his brother how did Lowe manage to get a promotion?

shizan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:04 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Actually, I'm not so sure. Finishing 30th once takes a special kind of ineptitude. Finishing last twice... wow. Being this close to last place four years in... that takes skill. The Blue Jackets are trying to cultivate a better environment, a winning environment but you better believe that they have designs on last or second last this year... unfortunately their players have different ideas and they're kind of ruining those plans (at the moment).

It's extremely tough to assemble a team that's as bad as this one for four straight years. A lot of things need to go wrong and fall into place.
They changed their GM, who was a former Oiler asst. GM.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Guys they definitely planned the rebuild, and Lowe himself said it would take around 5 years. They announced the rebuild the year we tanked to get Hall. I doubt we've intended to make the playoffs since that point, but if the team steps up and makes it then great.

That being said I still want to replace management. The whole reason we're rebuilding in the first place is because these guys are a joke. I hope Katz cans them both right when the 5 years is up and hires a team that can turn us into winners.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:53 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
They changed their GM, who was a former Oiler asst. GM.
And yet he put most of those players on the ice.

Sergei Bobrovsky anyone?

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:05 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
And yet he put most of those players on the ice.

Sergei Bobrovsky anyone?
I wonder if the change in the on ice success is coincidence that it started after Howson was fired or if there was a change of philosphy instituted once he was let go?

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:15 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
I wonder if the change in the on ice success is coincidence that it started after Howson was fired or if there was a change of philosphy instituted once he was let go?
Not a chance. None.
Davidson would have zero impact on that team on the ice right now.

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:03 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
Not a chance. None.
Davidson would have zero impact on that team on the ice right now.
I`m not so sure. A new perspective on player acqusitions and development could certainly have led to players feeling more energized and less hopeless about their state, and if that was the case, they could certainly be playing harder and be more motivated to win. If any worker thinks their boss is a dummy, their morale goes through the floor.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

I just noticed that Glencross has 12 goals this year, which would put him ahead of any Oilers. More importantly, he's 4 goals ahead of that white elephant Heatley that KLowe was chasing when he let Glencross walk.

Is it just an inability to recognize and evaluate the trajectory of talent; or is it a simple shortsightedness? Either way, for this team to become a true winner, these things must change.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:26 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
I just noticed that Glencross has 12 goals this year, which would put him ahead of any Oilers. More importantly, he's 4 goals ahead of that white elephant Heatley that KLowe was chasing when he let Glencross walk.

Is it just an inability to recognize and evaluate the trajectory of talent; or is it a simple shortsightedness? Either way, for this team to become a true winner, these things must change.
As long as Hall and Hopkins are outperforming Landeskog and Sequin (they are!) we will be ok.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:27 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:

Creating a hole and trying unsuccessfully to fill it has been a calling card of Oiler management for years now.

Glencross is exactly what the top 6 needs. Its hard to believe that the Oilers bus dumped him on the curb like trash because they saw something shiny in the distance. The Flames bus pulled up and gladly picked up what the Oilers left behind.

The Oilers have been trying to find that player ever since.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Declassified

vCash: 1150
Quote:

im pretty sure every GM takes Heatley over Glencross... Especially 4 years ago. It's pretty convenient to point out the goal difference between the 2 on a year that it suits you, after a career where Heatley has more points than Glencross every year until this one, which isn't even over.

Glencross had a combined 15 NHL goals when the Oilers let him go. Heatley had 180... and was only 2 years older, not a tough choice.

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
As long as Hall and Hopkins are outperforming Landeskog and Sequin (they are!) we will be ok.
Damn, and I was the guy banking on injuries. Who would of thought Landeskog had a glass head!!

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:47 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Creating a hole and trying unsuccessfully to fill it has been a calling card of Oiler management for years now.

Glencross is exactly what the top 6 needs. Its hard to believe that the Oilers bus dumped him on the curb like trash because they saw something shiny in the distance. The Flames bus pulled up and gladly picked up what the Oilers left behind.

I hated when Lowe ignored Glencross that offseason and i hate it even more now.
As you said, the Oilers have been looking for a Glencross player ever since....Glencross was here. I remember this board being against giving Glencross any more than $1.5 mil and i never understood why. It was blatantly obvious that he was the straw that stirred the drink of that line. The sad part of it is that Strotini was the only one kept out of those three and the Oilers are still looking to fill the Glencross/Brodziak holes although i guess Belanger somewhat fills the Brodziak role. I didn't them letting go of Brodziak because he wasn't the same player here that he is with the Wild but it sure says a lot about management's ability (or lack thereof) to properly identify pro talent

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:55 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Quote:

I think we were chasing Hossa not Heatley but your point still stands

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:05 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post

yup

remember when the Oilers went on that huge run 2007-08?
Glencross really sparked a lot of energy into that line-up

scored 9G-4A-13 PTS in only 26 games

the Oilers went 18-10-1 after he was acquired in 2007-08

then again, he does have the Flames in 2nd last this year

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:41 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I hated when Lowe ignored Glencross that offseason and i hate it even more now.
As you said, the Oilers have been looking for a Glencross player ever since....Glencross was here. I remember this board being against giving Glencross any more than $1.5 mil and i never understood why. It was blatantly obvious that he was the straw that stirred the drink of that line. The sad part of it is that Strotini was the only one kept out of those three and the Oilers are still looking to fill the Glencross/Brodziak holes although i guess Belanger somewhat fills the Brodziak role. I didn't them letting go of Brodziak because he wasn't the same player here that he is with the Wild but it sure says a lot about management's ability (or lack thereof) to properly identify pro talent
It took the team a couple of years to fill the hole that Brodziak left and it ended up being an inferior player that management tried to replace him with. I don't think there are too many Oiler fans who wouldn't rather have Brodziak over Belanger.
This is a large part of the reason why I dont have much faith in this management team to build a winner. Good management doesn't make the same mistakes over and over again.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:47 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
yup

remember when the Oilers went on that huge run 2007-08?
Glencross really sparked a lot of energy into that line-up

scored 9G-4A-13 PTS in only 26 games

the Oilers went 18-10-1 after he was acquired in 2007-08

then again, he does have the Flames in 2nd last this year
Not much can help the Flames this season it seems.

The other thing to remember with Glencross is that he was in the early stages of his NHL career when the Oilers had him. He was making an impact on this team before he had fulfilled any of his potential. He was only going to get better. Like a lot of players that pass through Edmonton he got better somewhere else.

Old
03-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
had to resurrect this thread. Oh, don't look now, but Pittsburg just added 2 serviceable NHL players with draft picks and prospect? WOW!! i thought this was impossible. Tambo is being outshon by 29 other managers.

how much more obvious is this thread becoming with each passing day? Tambo is the picture of chicken sh-t. He simple hasn't got the guts to be doing the job he has. He should be an ECHL manager. he has 2 weeks to save his job in my mind.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:06 AM
#ualberta

This team is not in a terrible position
With new management and coaching staff we can make a jump next year
Though if nothing changes i'm afraid we won't progress

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:27 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
If you always do what you've always done...

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got." Henry Ford (1863-1947), American founder of the Ford Motor Company

Ownership needs to wake the heck up, way too complacent. When the dollars start to roll downhill it will be a beach to stop it.

Not sure if this is a trash the mangement and coaches thread but the system needs change all around.

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:44 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

"The definition of insanty is doing the same thing over and over again and expect a different outcome" Eisntein

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
"The definition of insanty is doing the same thing over and over again and expect a different outcome" Eisntein
"Most quotes on the internet are misattributed."-Abraham Lincoln

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Beerfish

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Oiler fans

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:49 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
"Most quotes on the internet are misattributed."-Abraham Lincoln
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...ins133991.html

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:50 AM
McNutty780

"dear god, why me." -nail yakupov

McNutty780 is offline   Reply With Quote