HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Will Flyers Offersheet Alex Pietrangelo?

Old
03-19-2013, 10:46 AM
Didact
lucky number 13

vCash: 500
Will Flyers Offersheet Alex Pietrangelo?

We all know the Flyers unsuccessful attempt in getting Weber this offseason but does anyone think they would try it again with Alex Pietrangelo? With the Flyers sucking as they are, I don't see him standing still and doing nothing.

Didact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Coldplay
Courage

If Nashville matches that ridiculous offer sheet, anyone will. And with term & variance limits, GMs don't have as much creativity save for using signing bonuses.

No.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:50 AM
DrHamburg

If he lasts past the wave of FA's and the Flyers have the cap room to add him I am sure they will try. But I am pretty sure they will get matched too.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
If Nashville matches that ridiculous offer sheet, anyone will. And with term & variance limits, GMs don't have as much creativity save for using signing bonuses.

No.
True. Contracts are a lot less creative now...any GM/Owner would match offer sheets for their star players.

Only players worth offer sheeting are guys like ROR.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
alpine4life

STL will match and they will not only have Poile as an enemy but Armstrong as well. Plus all the league other GMs would have a great look @ Homer's GM approach. Especially after attacking 2 internally cappped team.

so if i was Holmgrem I would not do that NO

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TorstenFrings
confirmed pessimist

Putting nothing past Holmgren, but St. Louis won't let them. They'll get this done in time.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:51 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(°o°)ϵ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
We all know the Flyers unsuccessful attempt in getting Weber this offseason but does anyone think they would try it again with Alex Pietrangelo? With the Flyers sucking as they are, I don't see him standing still and doing nothing.
I don't see Pietrangelo making to that point without a contract.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

If given a chance, they will. Holmgren's gonna Holmgren.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Probably, but it won't matter much, I would say St Louis matches any OS no matter how ridiculous. He's that good of a player, he can't leave for picks.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
If they get the chance, then I expect so. I'd be shocked if Pietrangelo or Shattenkirk get to that point though.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Not successfully, no.

Shattenkirk might be a more viable target. I can't see the Flyers offering anything that the Blues wouldn't match for Pietrangelo. That might not be the case for Shattenkirk.

Or, more likely, perhaps the Flyers could approach St. Louis with a Coburn for Shattenkirk swap? It gives the Blues an ideal LH partner for Pietrangelo.

For a signed Shattenkirk, I think the Flyers probably have to add. It isn't likely, but it is much more plausible than offer-sheeting Pietrangelo.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:54 AM
vatali
Life Long Slacker

It takes 2 to tango and Petro hasn't said anything about contracts (not that he wants to stay or he wants $ and leave. nothing). Will multiple teams talk with him if it drags on past a reasonable time (say August 1st). absolutely. Will someone put in an offer sheet? Maybe. But Armstrong has a couple of advantages.#1 the market is somewhat set for his $ range already. #2 Army can offer an extra year. #3 Armstrong has already said he will match any offer sheet.

I don't doubt that Philly will kick the tires and find out the value, but I don't think petro will get offer sheeted. Shatty is more realistic. To the Blues and the market in general his value is less than Petro. A team could over reach on him if he was willing to run with the money. To this point he has been silent as well. I am not sure if Shatty is ARB eligible though, which could then screw up that plan as well.

vatali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:58 AM
kasper11

With what money? They are already at about $62M for next year. Even if they buyout Bryz, they need to replace him. Maybe they move Briere too, but now you are talking about having about $15M and needing at least 1 top-6 player and a starting goalie. Not to mention they might have some bonus carryover from this year. I don't see how you fit in Pietrangelo.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:05 AM
ouendan1

I don't know their cap situation so I won't pretend to be an expert on that. It wouldn't surprise me IF Pietrangelo gets to that point in Free Agency that the Flyers (and probably other teams) send an offer sheet his way.

I don't have any thing to back this up so if anyone has a link or something that could help out I would appreciate it, but I would assume that there were more teams than just the Flyers that sent Weber an offer sheet. None of them became news though because Weber didn't sign them. The Flyers offer sheet became news because Weber signed it. Pietrangelo would have to sign an offer sheet for it to become news.

Having said all of this there's no way Pietrangelo isn't somehow signed by the Blues, whether through matching an offer sheet or negotiating a whole new contract.

ouendan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Dick Whitman

Only way Pietroangelo signs an offer sheet is if he doesn't think St. Louis will come close in money without one. He'll be losing a year off any offer sheet so it'd have to be worth it for him.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Didact
lucky number 13

I thought it would be funny if they offersheeted Pietrangelo, it failed, and then offersheeted Shatterkirk.

Didact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:08 AM
SI90

even if they did,STL will match, unless its a crazy number....

SI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:09 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
With what money? They are already at about $62M for next year. Even if they buyout Bryz, they need to replace him. Maybe they move Briere too, but now you are talking about having about $15M and needing at least 1 top-6 player and a starting goalie. Not to mention they might have some bonus carryover from this year. I don't see how you fit in Pietrangelo.
E. J. Hradek suggested yesterday what most fans have long expected--that it is quite possible both Briere and and Bryzgalov are bought out.

Doing both, and trade Mezsaros for a draft pick, would leave the team with at least $14 million in cap space. They would need a goalie, of course, but that would still leave room for a massive contract on the blue-line.

(that said, I don't expect it to happen, as I said above).

Old
03-19-2013, 11:11 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Fitting him is easy and the Flyers assuredly would without any concerns. St. Louis, however, would easily match anything.

For the purposes of your comment, however.... The Flyers can amnesty Briere and Bryzgalov. They absolutely do not need a top 6 player to replace Briere. With Giroux, Hartnell, Voracek, Simmonds, B. Schenn, Read and Couturier, the Flyers already have 7 guys that could quality in most teams top 6. Scott Laughton likely makes the team next season, then you mix in a Talbot, McGinn, Rinaldo, maybe a Cousins and/or resigned Gagne and you are pretty set at forward.

At G, you look at a stopgap like Anton Khubodin, Backstrom, etc... all likely for less team and AAV that Bryz's 5.6M.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
I thought it would be funny if they offersheeted Pietrangelo, it failed, and then offersheeted Shatterkirk.
If St. Louis let BOTH of those guys get that far, it would not surprise me, but I cannot see them being that moronic.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:14 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
If they both make it to that point, I could easily see the "double whammy", essentially forcing them to choose one. But that would require some serious overpayment in terms of salary numbers.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
If they both make it to that point, I could easily see the "double whammy", essentially forcing them to choose one. But that would require some serious overpayment in terms of salary numbers.
They can't file OS for both simultaneously, right? They wouldn't have the picks if both OS were accepted and not matched.

EDIT: To clarify, they could submit OS to both, but it is likely that only the first one signed (in this hypothetical) would be valid, since the other would (presumably) require some of the same compensation.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:20 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
They can't file OS for both simultaneously, right? They wouldn't have the picks if both OS were accepted and not matched.
I think you're right. In that case, if I were Holmgren, I'd send Shattenkirk's offer sheet first, then Pietrangelo's after they match. Of course, all that is assuming they make it to that point, and sign the offer sheets in the first place.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

St.Louis will match any offer sheet that comes that way.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Yeah, because their cap situation prevented them from handing out a huge offer sheet just this past summer.

Halpysback* is offline   Reply With Quote