HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks at the Trade Deadline

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 08:21 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
A conservative strategy: Acquire a 3C and a RHD. Sell Ballard. Call it a day.

Good targets are Goc and O'Byrne (if its agreed that he re-signs to 1.5m per)

Big acquisitions are far-fetched. Any 2C or 2RW sniper would be pretty difficult to get considering the deadline costs. Not to mention the fact this team isn't showing itself to be a contender to warrant such an over the top addition. No, just repeat the Higgins/Lapierre deadline acquisitions and give this team a chance. That's it. Beyond that, the rest is on them.

As an aside, the people wanting a 2nd line C to insulate Kesler really need to get back to reality soon. It's not happening. The roles on this team, FA, and the cap will ensure such an acquisition won't happen. Dare to dream and all... But that's all it is, a dream.
You really think giving up assets for Goc and O'Byrne are going to get this team anywhere? Sure we won't be as bad as we are now, but IMO we are just wasting assets so we can have a first round playoff exit. The personnel we have just aren't good enough and another elite talent in our top 6 forward group is needed.

03-19-2013, 08:25 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
You really think giving up assets for Goc and O'Byrne are going to get this team anywhere? Sure we won't be as bad as we are now, but IMO we are just wasting assets so we can have a first round playoff exit. The personnel we have just aren't good enough and another elite talent in our top 6 forward group is needed.
This so much. This. Goc would be a good piece moving forward but is what we call a band-aid right now. If the team wants to get anywhere, they need a real top 6 forward to add to the team and need to flip Ballard for a RHD.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:49 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Yup. Obviously the next couple weeks will determine what Gillis does, but if we are out of it, I would like to see him sell off some players for picks/prospects. As we have seen with the Getzlaf and Perry contracts, the league is moving in a direction which is going to be top heavy on the first couple lines and then not much depth after that. Getting young players on ELCs becomes even more important now. Hope the Luongo/Schnieder trade gets us a couple good ones.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:07 AM
CP

vCash: 699
At least get rid of the players they don't want and give some rookies a chance. Ballard, Alberts and Barker have all been tried and failed, some other team will want them for left sided depth. Trade them away as part of a package for a center and bring up some rookies on defense and give them a shot. Price shoots right and is doing okay. Anderson has developed well and should be better than Alberts.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:39 AM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
I totally agree with what is being said. I think it's time to take a hard look at just where this team is moving forward. No way should they be major buyers. The team just isn't as good as we all thought and no chance we are going to get past teams like CHI. Too many teams are having great years. The Canucks window has closed in my opinion and I hope Gillis is smart enough to realize this now. I am not saying sell the twins or anything like that. Just no chance we should be parting with any assets for a rental in an attempt to "fake it". I pray our management doesn't dance around the facts like those in CGY have. CGY completely destroyed any chance at a rebuild by not realizing where the team really was in an attempt to fool the fans.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Jay Cee
P4G

To me it comes down to: Do you want to keep Kassian or Jensen or both or do you want to see a big move done at the deadline? That's what it comes down to to me. You can't say the Canucks need to make a big move without spending an asset that is worth something.

The Luongo deal would bring a pretty big deal and be sufficient enough help with some needs, but he is not going to bring back the type of calibre player he is for this year.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:49 AM
crazycanuck

I don't understand why people keep thinking that getting a defensive center is going to fix this teams problems, when THEY CAN'T SCORE!!! And with Booth out indefinately with an ankle sprain it becomes even more important to get a forward, preferably a center who can create offense in a 2nd/3rd line role.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:03 AM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
I don't understand why people keep thinking that getting a defensive center is going to fix this teams problems, when THEY CAN'T SCORE!!! And with Booth out indefinately with an ankle sprain it becomes even more important to get a forward, preferably a center who can create offense in a 2nd/3rd line role.
But at what cost? Players of that role aren't cheap. Do you really think that piece would put us over the top? Place us into ANA or CHI levels? No chance. It isn't worth parting with the assets just to maybe squeak into the playoffs and be 1 and done. It isn't going to happen this year for the Canucks. Yes, anything can happen but some times we have to be realistic. Looking around the league at some of the lineups the top teams are icing makes me truly believe the Canucks don't have a chance.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
What team couldn't use another elite talent in their top6? Every team wants this, but teams don't usually have the pieces to do it. Nor is it realistically feasible for most. In the last 5 years, what elite top6 talents have changes teams? Carter and Nash? If you consider Carter elite, that's 2 big name players. Each cost some some real quality to get. A 1st round pick plus a high end forward. Hell, Richards even cost a 30 goal PWF plus! You want to pay that? Can this team pay Jensen + 1st + more and still pretend it has a pipeline? Get real.

And say you add said talent to the team, as it is now, is it going to magically turn things around from a team wide suck fest? Are you serious? I'm laughing so hard at the notion it's ridiculous. The magical cure all. Come to save the day. Lol. Utterly out to lunch.

No, this team's problems dig deeper than one good forward. Their issues are systemic. Something the new piece would also have to deal with when coming in. You think it a coincidence that for years the problem has continued to be depth scoring? Think it through. Think. The team has always left the bulk of the scoring in the hands of the twins. Stretching back to the Nonis era. It's not about to change even with a big forward acquisition, which in itself is another band aid to a shoddy game plan and structure.

Look at what the Rangers are doing with and "added" elite talent. Floundering. Why? One would think that adding an elite talent to an already good team would result in more success. Why hasn't it translated for them? Because player acquisition is not an answer to resolving team wide problems. This is something that is proving difficult for you to understand, but someday you'll get it. I hope. The problems are internal. They alway have been.

Goc and O'Byrne fulfill needs, not wants. I advocate doing the minimum for this team because I don't think anyone should invest heavily in the product right now. I hasnt proven itself well enough to warrant an "all in" strategy. Until it does, I think a conservative approach is best. Otherwise, we run the very real risk of wasting bigger assets for no real gain at all. References to examples exist around the league - just open your eyes and take a look.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:15 AM
arsmaster

Sell off non-core assets, give young players a good stretch at the NHL level, and see about making a push for the playoffs next year, or at least have the youth gain experience for next year.

Ballard, Higgins, Raymond, Lapierre, Alberts, Barker etc should all be shipped out for picks. It's a sellers market.

Give Archibald, Jensen, Connauton, Schroeder, Lain a real shot in the NHL. Before I hear the people chime in about how Connauton and Archibald, Lain etc aren't going to save the day and aren't NHL players, well what difference does it make? At least we could hope to see some youthful exuberance that cares.

And really, people question Connauton's ability to defend at the AHL level, could he be all that much worse than Alberts, Ballard, and Bieksa?

Let these kids have a shot, because I've grown tired of watching this crap we're subject to.

Crappy goaltending against Nashville aside, the offense this team generates is putrid. You can see why Roger's Arena looks empty (even with a sellout) with entertainment like we've been subject to.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:15 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
But at what cost? Players of that role aren't cheap. Do you really think that piece would put us over the top? Place us into ANA or CHI levels? No chance. It isn't worth parting with the assets just to maybe squeak into the playoffs and be 1 and done. It isn't going to happen this year for the Canucks. Yes, anything can happen but some times we have to be realistic. Looking around the league at some of the lineups the top teams are icing makes me truly believe the Canucks don't have a chance.
So you'd rather the Canucks give up lesser assets for lesser players and then only have a hope and prayer that they can do something...

If the Canucks really think they aren't in a position to make a run this season than they shouldn't be looking at bandaid solutions such as Goc. It makes even more sense to make a bigger trade that can help the team now and in the future if this is case. Goc type players are perfect acquisitions for teams who are close and need to add depth and a more specialized player to get them over the hump. The Canucks aren't there.

I'd rather Gillis look to make a bigger deal and put this team into a better situation than just bandaid the situation and hope/pray for a turn around next season.

There is something wrong with the makeup of this team, and a small trade or change isn't going to fix it at this point.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:20 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

Who do you think we should bring in? Provide a name. Roy? Ok, be prepared to part with a 1st from a deep draft, when the team is sinking like a rock, and add to that. Oh and also realize he's likely a pure rental, most likely. Here for 20 games or so. Because aside from people thinking they can lock up every player, some in the 4m range might want to test FA anyways and get paid. I imagine that this may have been communicated to BUF before Roy was dealt as well.

So a very good forward prospect and more for 20 games of a Roy, to a sinking ship. Yeah, great asset management there. Maybe Gillis can then turn around and burn more assets in the offseason for an even bigger solution that would come into this system and do nothing as well. Wouldn't that be great?

The problem is the environment here, already, and what it could mean to any potential acquisition. This, matched with the "covenant", and I find it difficult to believe a high end talent would come here to stay. It's not a good time for the Canucks right now. And people are assuming 1 player will fix things, when in reality, he would just be along for the ride.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:41 AM
MikeK

Quote:
So you'd rather the Canucks give up lesser assets for lesser players and then only have a hope and prayer that they can do something...

If the Canucks really think they aren't in a position to make a run this season than they shouldn't be looking at bandaid solutions such as Goc. It makes even more sense to make a bigger trade that can help the team now and in the future if this is case. Goc type players are perfect acquisitions for teams who are close and need to add depth and a more specialized player to get them over the hump. The Canucks aren't there.

I'd rather Gillis look to make a bigger deal and put this team into a better situation than just bandaid the situation and hope/pray for a turn around next season.

There is something wrong with the makeup of this team, and a small trade or change isn't going to fix it at this point.
You obviously didn't see my post a few spots up.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:48 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Who do you think we should bring in? Provide a name. Roy? Ok, be prepared to part with a 1st from a deep draft, when the team is sinking like a rock, and add to that. Oh and also realize he's likely a pure rental, most likely. Here for 20 games or so. Because aside from people thinking they can lock up every player, some in the 4m range might want to test FA anyways and get paid. I imagine that this may have been communicated to BUF before Roy was dealt as well.

So a very good forward prospect and more for 20 games of a Roy, to a sinking ship. Yeah, great asset management there. Maybe Gillis can then turn around and burn more assets in the offseason for an even bigger solution that would come into this system and do nothing as well. Wouldn't that be great?

The problem is the environment here, already, and what it could mean to any potential acquisition. This, matched with the "covenant", and I find it difficult to believe a high end talent would come here to stay. It's not a good time for the Canucks right now. And people are assuming 1 player will fix things, when in reality, he would just be along for the ride.
So your solution is to add a player or players that won't fix the Canucks actual problem?

I'm not saying the Canucks are 1 player away. I'm saying that the Canucks need to build a better team and going out and getting bit pieces that don't actually fix the problem that is plaguing the Canucks (inability to score) is really a bad way to go. What is the point of going out and getting players like Goc when after they do the Canucks are still essentially the same team with the same underlying problems.

If Gillis can find a rental that can put the Canucks over the edge, then he should do it. But I highly doubt he will be able to find that kind of player. He needs to make a hockey deal.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:53 AM
racerjoe

Quote:
So your solution is to add a player or players that won't fix the Canucks actual problem?

I'm not saying the Canucks are 1 player away. I'm saying that the Canucks need to build a better team and going out and getting bit pieces that don't actually fix the problem that is plaguing the Canucks (inability to score) is really a bad way to go. What is the point of going out and getting players like Goc when after they do the Canucks are still essentially the same team with the same underlying problems.

If Gillis can find a rental that can put the Canucks over the edge, then he should do it. But I highly doubt he will be able to find that kind of player. He needs to make a hockey deal.
What people seem to miss, is depth trumps all. It's why Chicago won a cup, sucked when they got rid of it, and are good again.

We need depth, we have lots, but not the right pieces and those pieces are being utilized wrong.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:59 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
What people seem to miss, is depth trumps all. It's why Chicago won a cup, sucked when they got rid of it, and are good again.

We need depth, we have lots, but not the right pieces and those pieces are being utilized wrong.
Depth is good but you need the right depth. Each team's depth issues are different. Canucks struggle to create offense outside of the Sedin line, so they need a Center who can help create that missing offense in a 2nd/3rd line role. Getting a defensive center for depth isn't going to change the look of this team enough so that the depth shows through.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
As an aside, the people wanting a 2nd line C to insulate Kesler really need to get back to reality soon. It's not happening. The roles on this team, FA, and the cap will ensure such an acquisition won't happen. Dare to dream and all... But that's all it is, a dream.
If Gillis isn't trying to find a bonafide 2nd line centre to insulate Kesler, he's the wrong guy for the job. Kesler has been healthy and performing once in his last 4 trips to the playoffs and his durability is a bigger concern than it's ever been. You can't rest the entire teams hopes on the health of a player that is never healthy when it matters. If you do, you'll live to regret it.

There is room to bring in a guy like Derek Roy at $5mil, it will just cost inferior players their spot on the team. Add Roy and Kesler to this group and you've just gone from 1 1st line centre, a 4th line centre and a couple of AHL centremen to having 3 1st line centremen and a 4th line centre. That takes this team to contender status instantly.

The price will be steep, but hopefully Gillis would be able to recoup some youthful assets in a Luongo deal, or potentially Raymond/Ballard as well.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:11 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post

true, but we need hi-end depth.
Chicago has lots now and had even more then.
We only have Daniel who has ever scored 30+ goals more than once. That's a core issue, beyond the injuries.

My pipedream --
Raymond, Schroeder for Roy & Jagr
Schneider & Ballard for Vishnovsky, Okposo, Nabokov, 2nd

Sedins-Burr
Booth-Kes-Jagr
Higgins-Roy-Okposo
Hansen-Lap-Kassian

Edler-Vishnovsky
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Garrison-Tanev

Luongo
Nabby

that's some serious depth...
but it's an extra $4M or so coming in, so would have to mean Booth out for the year (or until playoffs)

Old
03-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Do you really think that piece would put us over the top? Place us into ANA or CHI levels? No chance.
If you add a bonafide 1st line centre in Derek Roy and our 1st line centre Kesler returns, yes, I would say the Canucks could beat anyone in a 7 game series. You can't overlook the effects of adding 2 1st liners and how it puts everyone in roles to succeed.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Kesler Hansen
Booth Roy Raymond
Pinizotto Lapierre Kassian

That team is infinitely better than anything we've iced this season. Take out Booth and it's still miles better than the current group.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
If Gillis isn't trying to find a bonafide 2nd line centre to insulate Kesler, he's the wrong guy for the job. Kesler has been healthy and performing once in his last 4 trips to the playoffs and his durability is a bigger concern than it's ever been. You can't rest the entire teams hopes on the health of a player that is never healthy when it matters. If you do, you'll live to regret it.

There is room to bring in a guy like Derek Roy at $5mil, it will just cost inferior players their spot on the team. Add Roy and Kesler to this group and you've just gone from 1 1st line centre, a 4th line centre and a couple of AHL centremen to having 3 1st line centremen and a 4th line centre. That takes this team to contender status instantly.

The price will be steep, but hopefully Gillis would be able to recoup some youthful assets in a Luongo deal, or potentially Raymond/Ballard as well.
And in this imaginary scenario, what if Roy wants more than 5m? Zajac got 5.75m. Weiss is looking for the same. You think Roy is going to cal demands at 5m, why?

And I completely disagree with your assertion of requiring a 2C to insulate Kesler. Teams can't operate under the premise that Kesler is a placeholder, no matter how injured he has been.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:18 PM
arsmaster

Derek Roy has 3 goals right now.

We can't score.

Why does adding a 3 goal scorer make us better? Somebody is truly calling Roy a 1st line center? This ain't the OHL.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

You had yet to name a player solution, and an associated cost.

And you have advocated a rental, which I am completely against. The Canucks aren't asset rich enough to do it. Not would I want to given the strength of the draft and our rapidly falling position. Bad move.

The hockey deal bit is correct. If the team could turn Luongo into Gaborik, somehow, that could work. He two teams I think will be in pursuit of Gaborik would be us and WPG. With them not needing as high end of a solution. So there it is. If the Canucks can turn Luongo into Gabby via 3way trade, then that works for all. But as you know, a highly unlikely scenario.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:23 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:

This is it. Do you move a 2nd rd pick plus in a deep draft for a guy that won't turn things around or pay a steeper price for a guy like Roy that IS unquestionably good enough to help turn things around? You can keep digging around the bargain bin looking for the David Booth's of the league or you can pay a bigger price and add a Jeff Carter type. With the Canucks window being tied to the Sedins, you need to try and win a championship in the next 3 years. Hedging your bets and trying to be mediocre for the next 10 won't get this franchise it's 1st ever Stanley cup.

The Canucks have a big trade chip in Luongo/Schneider that they can use to help offset the loss of picks and prospects in a deal for an impact player. They would essentially be swapping a Luongo for a Roy, which would make the team younger.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:23 PM
7thOverdrive

Quote:

Boy are you ever right

We can expect Gillis to go after players that are underperforming but still have potential to grow. Think of players like Higgins and Lapierre who really exploded once joining the Canucks.

So who are the players that can be had for average prospects or late picks? Perhaps even just a player swap in order to feet an organizational need? At this point, I'd be down for anything, maybe a god damn change in the breakout so all the forwards aren't hemmed into their zone every time the defense retrieves the puck.

Hell, it's gonna be a short season and another year we waste on the Sedin's because the system clearly doesn't work anymore.

Jon Cooper.. Please, Gillis... Get us Cooper...

Old
03-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Derek Roy has 3 goals right now.

We can't score.

Why does adding a 3 goal scorer make us better? Somebody is truly calling Roy a 1st line center? This ain't the OHL.

Lol. No arsmaster, he clearly is. That's why DAL wants to get rid of him, he's too good. A 1st line C in hiding. But regardless, he's a C that's going to get paid. Just like some other 2nd line Cs out there. I think it's part of the reason BUF decided to get rid of him.

Closed Thread