HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Will Flyers Offersheet Alex Pietrangelo?

Old
03-19-2013, 11:34 AM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
The thing is the player has to actually accept the offer sheet as well.

Last edited by SnS: 03-19-2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Let's not.
HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:46 AM
Number1RedWingsFan52

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
We all know the Flyers unsuccessful attempt in getting Weber this offseason but does anyone think they would try it again with Alex Pietrangelo? With the Flyers sucking as they are, I don't see him standing still and doing nothing.
Yeah right how In the World can Philly offersheet when they only have $3 million in cap space to sign 5 more players they would have to move alot of salary to do that.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:51 AM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

People need to stop saying Philly has no cap space to offersheet. This is Holmgren we are talking about. Guy is making cap space, if he has too. They'll just buy out Briere and Bryz. Instant 12m cap space, boom! Or if they get lucky and dump Briere on some unsuspecting bystander at the deadline, they can also buy out Mezaros. Pronger. Seriously, this is Philly, they'll buy out everyone and get new toys.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:52 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

I wonder if Toronto would offer-sheet Pietro or Bogo. I remember reading that MLSE wanted a GM who would use the big market to their advantage by using offer-sheets, committing to contracts longer than 5 years, not imposing self-made trade freezes, etc. Basically all the things stubborn Burke said he wouldn't do because he thinks he knows better than everyone else

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:53 AM
trellaine201

Holmgren is slimey. He would certainly do it.

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:54 AM

This whole 'making enemies' thing is ridiculous.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
Yeah right how In the World can Philly offersheet when they only have $3 million in cap space to sign 5 more players they would have to move alot of salary to do that.
Wrong.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:56 AM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorstenFrings View Post
People need to stop saying Philly has no cap space to offersheet. This is Holmgren we are talking about. Guy is making cap space, if he has too. They'll just buy out Briere and Bryz. Instant 12m cap space, boom! Or if they get lucky and dump Briere on some unsuspecting bystander at the deadline, they can also buy out Mezaros. Pronger. Seriously, this is Philly, they'll buy out everyone and get new toys.
Okay so you buy out Briere and Bryz and get and Instant $12 Million In Cap Space so that's now $15 million In cap space to sign 7 more players now, Still leaves little wiggle room to offer sheet unless you want to put a bunch of cheap scrubs on your team and I'm sure that Philly would never do that.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:57 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Thank goodness for the amnesty otherwise their NMCs would prohibit them from doing that and they'd be virtually stuck with those two albatrosses

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:57 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
And replace those players with?

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Yup.

And, as a Flyers fan, I both love that about the organization, and fear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Replacing Briere isn't really a problem.

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Read - Schenn - Simmonds
Gagne - Couturier - Talbot

Replacing Bryzgalov would be the issue, but I'm confident that they could find someone for less than $5.7 million to provide roughly the same production...

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:02 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I think it depends more on Snider than Holmgren.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

With what cap space do they expect to offer sheet Pietrangelo? Are they going to offer him $2.8M per year? The Flyers have 18 signed players next season with very little cap space. They have to cut some contracts loose and have to worry about locking up Giroux, Schenn, and Couturier by 2014. Good luck with that.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing the Blues get a taste of their own medicine for what happened throughout the 90s. The Blues were notorious for sending out offer sheets that drove up salaries during the 90s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_offer_sheets

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:08 PM
JustJim

The Flyers, in their current state of affairs couldn't draw flies, so there's no way in hell that a decent player will want to voluntarily sign a contract ( no matter how much money is being offered), to play for this current team.
The problem with the Flyers is in the front office. The general manager in particular. Paul Holmgren is not a good GM in this era of the NHL. What the Flyers need to do is step outside of the box, and hire the next GM who has NEVER worked for the Flyers organization.
Spending a ****-load of money on a marquee player is pointless when the problem with this team is the entire system in which it is being built.

JustJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
With what cap space do they expect to offer sheet Pietrangelo? Are they going to offer him $2.8M per year? The Flyers have 18 signed players next season with very little cap space. They have to cut some contracts loose and have to worry about locking up Giroux, Schenn, and Couturier by 2014. Good luck with that.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing the Blues get a taste of their own medicine for what happened throughout the 90s. The Blues were notorious for sending out offer sheets that drove up salaries during the 90s.
Did you read any of the subsequent posts in the thread?

That capgeek number includes Briere and Bryzgalov (either or both of whom could be bought out) as well as Pronger, who will got on LTIR at the start of next season (so he cancels out the 10 percent offseason cushion).

There are many reasons that an OS won't work, but lack of cap space isn't one of them.

EDIT: It isn't even that hard, and it can be done without buying out Bryzgalov or LTIRing Pronger.

- Buy-out Briere.
- Trade Meszaros to anyone for anything. A 2nd is reasonable, a 3rd is cheap.
- Re-sign Gagne (even assuming he gets the same, 3.5 AAV)
- Sign a backup goalie @ $900k

Quote:
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Simon Gagne ($3.500m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Scott Laughton ($1.138m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Tye McGinn ($0.775m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Alex Pietrangelo ($10.000m)
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Bruno Gervais ($0.825m)
Chris Pronger ($4.936m) /

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Michael Leighton ($0.900m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,249,881; BONUSES: $3,012,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $62,619

N.B. I'm not saying this will happen. It won't. The Flyers will not successfully O.S. Pietrangelo. But it won't be because they lack the cap space. The Blues are a very good franchise on the rise. They will get their franchise player signed.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 03-19-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old
03-19-2013, 12:12 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
They can't file OS for both simultaneously, right? They wouldn't have the picks if both OS were accepted and not matched.

EDIT: To clarify, they could submit OS to both, but it is likely that only the first one signed (in this hypothetical) would be valid, since the other would (presumably) require some of the same compensation.
Correct. The picks are tied up in limbo when the os is signed. You also need your own teams picks to offer an os.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Flyers have a ******** of offensive talent. If they refuse to make the necessary moves to get a top pairing dman then it's their own fault.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:14 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:

Losing the five 1st round draft picks and Scott Stevens wasn't punishment enough?

I think the Blues have paid their karmic dues on that front.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Wingsfan2965*

If Holmgren keeps up sooner or later it's gonna be his player that ends up getting offer sheets.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Did you read any of the subsequent posts in the thread?

That capgeek number includes Briere and Bryzgalov (either or both of whom could be bought out) as well as Pronger, who will got on LTIR at the start of next season (so he cancels out the 10 percent offseason cushion).

There are many reasons that an OS won't work, but lack of cap space isn't one of them.
So you are just dealing with hypothetical scenarios. Pronger's cap space can be replaced. So who are they going to replace Bryzgalov and Briere with if they buy them out? Pietrangelo going to play the 2nd line and in net? I'd love to see them offer sheet Pietrangelo while also trying to sign Giroux, Schenn and Couturier to extensions next season. Good luck with that.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:17 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Briere doesn't really need to be replaced. They have Schenn and Giroux as centers. Hartnell, Simmonds, Voracek and Read as wingers. They'll just get some bottom6 type, if they really have no one in their org. How hard can it be to replace Bryz with someone cheaper? Really. I am asking. I figure they can at least make out with 10m to spare from buying those two out.

Edit: I said on the very first page, that I think St. Louis will have Pietro locked up before FA and I am also not saying this would be smart by the Flyers. What I am saying is, I am not betting any money on the smart move from Holmgren.

Last edited by TorstenFrings: 03-19-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old
03-19-2013, 12:18 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJim View Post
The Flyers, in their current state of affairs couldn't draw flies, so there's no way in hell that a decent player will want to voluntarily sign a contract ( no matter how much money is being offered), to play for this current team.
The problem with the Flyers is in the front office. The general manager in particular. Paul Holmgren is not a good GM in this era of the NHL. What the Flyers need to do is step outside of the box, and hire the next GM who has NEVER worked for the Flyers organization.
Spending a ****-load of money on a marquee player is pointless when the problem with this team is the entire system in which it is being built.
Is that you Ed? Im glad you know exactly what Paul Holmgren does On a day to day basis.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:20 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
Okay so you buy out Briere and Bryz and get and Instant $12 Million In Cap Space so that's now $15 million In cap space to sign 7 more players now, Still leaves little wiggle room to offer sheet unless you want to put a bunch of cheap scrubs on your team and I'm sure that Philly would never do that.
We'll just have to agree to disagree, I amnot putting anything past Holmgren.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:20 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
This whole 'making enemies' thing is ridiculous.
It is laughable.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
So you are just dealing with hypothetical scenarios. Pronger's cap space can be replaced. So who are they going to replace Bryzgalov and Briere with if they buy them out? Pietrangelo going to play the 2nd line and in net? I'd love to see them offer sheet Pietrangelo while also trying to sign Giroux, Schenn and Couturier to extensions next season. Good luck with that.
I... I just don't get it.

Look at the roster I posed above.

Would there be long-term issues? Sure. At minimum, after the 2013-2014 season, the Flyers would have to use a compliance buy-out on Bryzgalov (for Giroux's raise) and let Gagne and Talbot walk (to pay Couturier and Schenn (who's cap hit is currently listed at $3.1 AAV on capgeek, so he won't be getting a massive raise from that in terms of cap space).

Pronger goes on perpetual LTIR, which hinders the team's flexibility during the offseason because they effectively lose the cushion, and the team would need to find yet another solution in goal with Pronger's money.

Would the Flyers deal with those issues to have a franchise-caliber defenseman? Gladly.

But Pietrangelo will never make it that far. I just wanted to demonstrate that the Flyers have plenty of potential cap space.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 03-19-2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Corrected re: the compliance buyout on injured players.