HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rangers lack of depth

Old
03-19-2013, 12:25 PM
NikC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
That, and Sather didn't do a good job re-signing our UFAs.

I don't understand the Nash trade at this point.

Sure, Nash for what was essentially Anisimov/Dubinsky and a 1st round pick seemed like a no brainer.

But why move pieces when you're already so close to the Stanley Cup? We were two wins away WITHOUT Nash. You wanted to add a super star goal scorer, but gave up significant depth in the process? Well how did we lose depth? Well, it was two players (two key players for us) who had excellent defensively, good for 30-40 points, and had good work ethic. AND we had to factor in a $7.8 million cap hit on a long term deal.

Some people said it was one step back to take two steps forward. Why take a step back when you were already so close? In my opinion, the Nash trade took us a BIG step back. And with a select few years of Lundqvist's prime in place, we are losing time to achieve the goal of winning the Cup. The team needed to add assets, not exchange. The pieces were already in place. The team had chemistry. That TEAM bought into Tortorella's blue collar system.

In my honest opinion, you wait for a free agent to come on the market and grab him for a 1 year deal to help the team for a deep run. I still think Semin would have been the better choice (sign him for one year, he comes off the books when players like McDonagh and company need to be re-signed and he adds that extra scoring touch the team missed) without giving up significant assets. And he's doing great this season, just as good if not better than Nash and is a big reason why Carolina is back on top along with the effort of a tremendous season by Eric Staal.

And if you can't sign that free agent, let the home grown talent continue to develop and fill those roles on their own. Then try again the following off season to nab that free agent, within your budget, that can help the team. Not have half the team spread throughout the NHL to accomodate another monster contract on the books.

At this point, I don't like the team because it's clear that under Nash, and our pitiful role players, the team doesn't have an identity. And no matter what Callahan does, I'm sure his work ethic won't be nearly as infectious as the low confidence surrounding this team. Guys like Dubinsky, Anisimov, Fedotenko were players that played like Callahan and were willing to play that blue collar system. If we couldn't re-sign Prust because his girlfriend lives on MTL, fine, but don't lose the rest of the role players too. When you have those players buy into the system, you're a better team.
Your points are valid to a degree, but you are totally overlooking the impact the lockout had on the decisions you criticize. No camp along with no preseason, gave us literally no time to properly acclimate the new faces into the system and for the coaching staff to construct strategy and assess strengths and weaknesses. Everything you are seeing is on the fly!

Sather made Prust a very fair offer of 2m/6yr. Prust leaving was more about Prust than anything else. Pyatt was looked at as an upgrade over Feds. Mitchell wanted too much apparently. I liked Duby, but at 4.2m for 10g?? He currently has 1g in 18g! Grit like that can/should be replaced within the system. Nash is 2x the player of Dubinsky and AA combined. Rupp couldn’t’ skate anymore... replaced with Powe, which is a huge upgrade.

You have to make the Nash trade. Only a crazy person doesn’t make that trade. It’s unfortunate with Prust, but that’s too much $ for a 6g scorer. Everything else is a wash. This season is an aberration with regards to chemistry, proper development, team identity. Unfortunately people like yourself will not take any of this into consideration, and form invalid opinions going forward...

one other thing. as rangerboy mentions, this team was a .500 team entering the playoffs, struggling mightily to find offense. If not for the stellar play of Lundqvist, and the addition of Krieders scoring punch, we might not have made it out of either round.

Defensive depth was an issue last year as well as this year as it was largely noted how well NJ bottom six outplayed ours.

Adding more scoring in Nash was a no brainer, but having Gaborik and Richards slump, along with the above has crippled this team offensively, yet again....

Last edited by NikC: 03-19-2013 at 12:51 PM.
NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:58 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Scoring depth outside the top 6 is laughable. Miller, Boyle, Pyatt, Haley, Halpern, Powe won't cut it. Miller is a rookie, Boyle forgot how to play hockey while the puck is on his stick, and the rest are just 4th liners. Ideally Miller would be in Hartford and Boyle would be on Mars. I'm assuming Haley will be sent down once Asham is good to go, but Asham shouldn't be playing every game either. If they don't feel Kreider is ready, Sather needs to obtain a solid scoring winger at the trade deadline. Otherwise maybe if Fasth impresses in Hartford after the SEL playoffs he could fill that role but it'd be a lot to ask of a young player who's never played in North America. Even if Kreider is eventually called up the team needs another scoring winger.

Tortorella cannot honestly think they will make the playoffs scoring 1 goal a game can he?

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:22 PM
dethomas07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Thats Nashty View Post
Scoring depth outside the top 6 is laughable. Miller, Boyle, Pyatt, Haley, Halpern, Powe won't cut it. Miller is a rookie, Boyle forgot how to play hockey while the puck is on his stick, and the rest are just 4th liners. Ideally Miller would be in Hartford and Boyle would be on Mars. I'm assuming Haley will be sent down once Asham is good to go, but Asham shouldn't be playing every game either. If they don't feel Kreider is ready, Sather needs to obtain a solid scoring winger at the trade deadline. Otherwise maybe if Fasth impresses in Hartford after the SEL playoffs he could fill that role but it'd be a lot to ask of a young player who's never played in North America. Even if Kreider is eventually called up the team needs another scoring winger.

Tortorella cannot honestly think they will make the playoffs scoring 1 goal a game can he?
enough with boyle.. it pisses me off so much.. us ranger fans are soooooo god damnnn greedyy.. we need the perfect player in every position on the team.. boyle fits a role and is fine in.. perfect 3rd or 4th line center... he wins faceoffs highest on the team at almost 60%.. kills penatys... hey and guess what... he stops the opposing top 2 lines from scoring!!! thats all you need out of a 3rd line.. is a shut down line.. you guys stopp harping on that ****!!!! hes not the issue.. we have pyatt who is soft as ****en egg shells and a rookie playing with him.. get him good wingers like clowe, torres to compliment boyle and we're good to go.. who the **** is going to replace him.. some washed up 38yr old player.. give me a break!!! enough is enough with this crap..

we have gabs nash an richards playing together making a combined 30m and we need another scorering winger, when hags, step and cally even through these ****** games are showing up to play every game!!! watch hockey, not the score board.. and please ranger fans stop being greedy!!! we need role players and we have none!! address needs not fantasy land... we made our big trade to get nash.. noo more!!

Last edited by dethomas07: 03-19-2013 at 02:34 PM.
dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethomas07 View Post
enough with boyle.. it pisses me off so much.. us ranger fans are soooooo god damnnn greedyy.. we need the perfect player in every position on the team.. boyle fits a role and is fine in.. perfect 3rd or 4th line center... he wins faceoffs highest on the team at almost 60%.. kills penatys... hey and guess what... he stops the opposing top 2 lines from scoring!!! thats all you need out of a 3rd line.. is a shut down line.. you guys stopp harping on that ****!!!! hes not the issue.. we have pyatt who is soft as ****en egg shells and a rookie playing with him.. get him good wingers like clowe, torres to compliment boyle and we're good to go.. who the **** is going to replace him.. some washed up 38yr old player.. give me a break!!! enough is enough with this crap..

we have gabs nash an richards playing together making a combined 30m and we need another scorering winger, when hags, step and cally even through these ****** games are showing up to play every game!!! watch hockey, not the score board.. and please ranger fans stop being greedy!!! we need role players and we have none!! address needs not fantasy land... we made our big trade to get nash.. noo more!!
Perfect 4th line center at best. A 3C needs an offensive touch. Thirty to 40 points is not unreasonable for a 3C. He almost hit that last year. He hit it in his God year before that. This year he is not even close, even prorated for the shortened season. Twenty to 25 points is not a lot to ask. You need scoring depth in the 3rd line, and the 3C has to facilitate that. Especially if your 4th line is a checking/special teams line that will not provide much offense.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Dorado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Perfect 4th line center at best. A 3C needs an offensive touch. Thirty to 40 points is not unreasonable for a 3C. He almost hit that last year. He hit it in his God year before that. This year he is not even close, even prorated for the shortened season. Twenty to 25 points is not a lot to ask. You need scoring depth in the 3rd line, and the 3C has to facilitate that. Especially if your 4th line is a checking/special teams line that will not provide much offense.
This ^
Isles are ahead of us 1 because JT and two because they are getting secondary and some tertiary scoring

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:44 PM
dethomas07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Good points.. i just dont like the hate he gets.. because he does create some offense, but hes great defensively.. get the guy another winger and i think it will help him out.. torres, clowe something..pyatt isn't cutting it IMO..

but i think he has a place on this team long term.. a lot of people want to send him packing and it doesn't warrant that.. top 2 lines have to score thats why there top six.. i guess it hurts if gabs/richards are struggling, amplifies everything..

but great points all in all!!

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote