HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Are playoffs still makeable?

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 02:08 AM
Brokenhead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
The outcome in the games today were perfect for the Oilers.

Dallas beats Calgary. Rather have Dallas win because Calgary still has a game in hand and we play them 3 more times still so we control our own destiny.

LA beats Phoenix. Phoenix is only 2 points up on us and have played a game more.

Chicago beats Colorado. Chicago is a lock to make the playoffs and keeps a distance between us and Colorado.

Anaheim beats San Jose. Anaheim is a lock to make it this year as well and San Jose still holds that 8th spot while being 2 points up on us.

Minnesota beat Vancouver. The winner was going to take the divison lead. At least we can beat Vancouver sometimes.

The Oilers still have a chance but they have to keep on rolling and winning games in regulation.
Ya I was scoreboard watching tonight and noticed the absolute perfect outcome in tonights game. Hope to see more of that.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:26 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I'd start worrying about Columbus if I were you. This team that "isn't making the playoffs" is riding the hottest goalie in the league, and is 6-0-4 in their last 10 games. Only Chicago has been better, points wise, in the West in that time. Point is, that there is still 15 teams that can make the playoffs, and the only real longshot right now is Colorado.
Yup, 6-0-4 and still in 13th...sure they are only 2 pts out, but like you just said, they have gone 10 straight games in which they got at least a point (16pts out of a possible 20) and they are still in 13th, which was what i've been trying to tell you guys about the Oilers chances, they have to win a s***load in a row (and no 3pt games) just to get into 8th, since (and this is the point that everybody is STILL overlooking), EVERY game in the west has at least 1 team getting 2pts (so, that means half the conference is getting points every game, which makes it tough to make up ground).

It would be different if it was a normal year where you have games against the east teams, but its not...not sure why people cant figure this out...and dont get me wrong, i want them to make it and it definitely looks much better than it did a week ago, but its still a long ways away and we need a lot of help too, basically the stars have to line up for us to make it, thats all i'm saying.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:34 AM
Riverboat Danglers

its not out of the question. they did the math at oilersnation and they figure we have to go 12 6 2 which if u look at the schedule is tough but doable for sure. We need to win against either San Jose or St Louis. If we take the schedule down to 3 game series like most NHL coaches do its achievable with even the team we have.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:42 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post
Yup, 6-0-4 and still in 13th...sure they are only 2 pts out, but like you just said, they have gone 10 straight games in which they got at least a point (16pts out of a possible 20) and they are still in 13th, which was what i've been trying to tell you guys about the Oilers chances, they have to win a s***load in a row (and no 3pt games) just to get into 8th, since (and this is the point that everybody is STILL overlooking), EVERY game in the west has at least 1 team getting 2pts (so, that means half the conference is getting points every game, which makes it tough to make up ground).

It would be different if it was a normal year where you have games against the east teams, but its not...not sure why people cant figure this out...and dont get me wrong, i want them to make it and it definitely looks much better than it did a week ago, but its still a long ways away and we need a lot of help too, basically the stars have to line up for us to make it, thats all i'm saying.
You also have to remember that Columbus had 12 points in 19 games before they went on this run. They had a lot of ground to cover and they have done that. If they were say a .500 team or around that like the oilers have been, Columbus would have around 33-35 points.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:03 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
If we rip off 8 - 10 in a row, we'll be leading the Northwest and in the playoffs by a hefty margin. As weird as it sounds, of the teams sitting from 6th - 14th, only two were better over the last 10 games. One (Dallas) had the same number of points. It isn't going to take something crazy like winning 8 games in a row. If we can get 10 points in our next 10 games we're holding ground. Holding our ground isn't good enough though, 6 or 7 wins in our next 10, and we'll be in the top 8 at that point, unless a few teams ahead of us go on a tear.
Lol, nope, we are 6pts back of minny right now (i know, doesnt sound like much right?), BUT, and this is what people cant seem to figure out, we need to win 3 in a row AND they have to lose 3 in a row JUST TO TIE THEM...now, do you really think even THAT is a possibility (and dont give me the "anything is possible" rhetoric, even that is a long shot, and thats just to tie, not take the lead (AND its not even taking into account that van can still take the lead again during those 3 games).

Anyways, this is why we have to win a bunch in a row, if we win lets say 8 in a row, we would be at 44 pts, minny is at 34 right now, so they would have to go .500 in their next 10 games just for us to tie them, and like i said, thats not even taking van into the equation, and once again, we arent even close to minny for the tie breaker either (although we're only 1 behind van, so we would almost want them to be in the lead at that time).

Point is, ANY game you lose from here on out is going to be demoralizing. Cant afford to lose any for a while, do you really think that will happen with this team, despite how they've played lately? Not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:52 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:

Yea and they were 5-12-2 last in the entire nhl before the run and now in contention . Does not mean teams ahead of us are going to steadily get 2 points. The fact is we are 2 points out of 8th The only teams ahead of us right now in winning % is SJ PHX Dallas ahead of us for 8th and final spot any combination of us winning and them losing we jump ahead with just 1 win.So right now we need to make up only 1 win against these front runners for last play off spot to move into 8th,
Like I have told you before we have 12 home games 8 away San jose has 11 home 9 road their road record is 4-9-2 Phx who has played 1 more game has 8 at home 11 on road their road record is 3-7-3

Dallas has 10 home and 10 away and the best road record of the 3 at 7-6-1 . It comes down to how strong we play at home . We have to keep current pace at winning against teams below us and 1 win better than all these three teams ahead of us to snag 8th.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:28 AM
gpearson1968

Up to 19% chance of making the playoffs now.

20 games left.

12 wins practically guarantees a playoff berth.
10 wins or less gets us in the lottery.

Just sayin..........

Old
03-19-2013, 10:17 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpearson1968 View Post
Up to 19% chance of making the playoffs now.

20 games left.

12 wins practically guarantees a playoff berth.
10 wins or less gets us in the lottery.
Just sayin..........

you mean not in the playoffs? or the old lottery..bot 5?

Old
03-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/W.../Edmonton.html

Today our winners must be

LA +0.5%
ST. LOUIS +0.6%
COLUMBUS +0.4%

Which will bring our playoff chances an additional 1.5%

Old
03-19-2013, 10:25 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
you mean not in the playoffs? or the old lottery..bot 5?
just means if we finish just out of the playoffs, we win the lottery again, take jones and trollololololol and pout for another off season.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Pros and Cons

With the 20 scheduled games remaining, I can only see us winning 11 (2 in overtime/shootout) of them. So that would give us a record of 20-20-8. This would give us 48 points, and not enough to make the dance.

Last edited by Pros and Cons: 03-19-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old
03-19-2013, 10:36 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pros and Cons View Post
With the 20 scheduled games remaining, I can only see us winning 11 (2 in overtime/shootout) of them. So that would give us a record of 20-20-8. This would give us 48 points, and not enough to make the dance.
we're 11-11-6 right now. so 11 more wins gives us 22-20-6 for 50 points. You gotta think we lose a few games in the SO/OT, lets say 3.

11-6-3 gives us 53 points which should be competitive.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
I'm with you on this one.

My gut feeling is that 11 wins might even be pushing it. Realistically I'm thinking they finish 10-7-3 which isn't going to be enough from the sounds of it.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Pros and Cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
we're 11-11-6 right now. so 11 more wins gives us 22-20-6 for 50 points. You gotta think we lose a few games in the SO/OT, lets say 3.

11-6-3 gives us 53 points which should be competitive.
I got ahead of myself. 9 wins and 2 overtime losses the rest of the way (9-9-2)
on the season that is 20w-20l-8otl = 48 points

Old
03-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:

Yeah...I personally don't put much stock into what you think.

Quote:
If RNH doesn't start to think of putting on some muscle and train like a mad-dog he will only be a really good OHL player in the NHL. He is not built for the NHl at current size (yes, I know he is going on 20 - i.e. Landeskog is 207 lbs), and he should have been sent to junior last year to work on the next step. He is not a winger, he is being groomed as a number one centre on a potential lethal line-up of young stars - he is going to be pushed around by other teams.
IMO, RNH is the player who needs to be traded (with a defenceman) for this team to get to the next step in development. We need more then anything a player who can take the punishment and has the kahonas to dictate the play as a #1 centreman must do in this league.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:33 AM
oilphan

I really hope that the coaching staff has the team focused on making the playoffs and is not taking the one game at a time approach. We should talk about the standings before and after the games. Encouraging the team to watch the out of town scoreboard. I want this team to be totally obsessed with the goal of making the playoffs this year. Kreuger needs to make sure of this.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:02 PM
c4fn8d

I'm hoping that management sees that this year is the breakout year for our youth. It's time to go big. Too much negativity and no results WILL impact our youth long term.

We need to be buyers in the biggest way this deadline. Let's dangle our first rounder this year to get a player who can help us make this push. Either a top 4 D with a good shot for the PP or a big body C or another goal scoring winger for added depth.

We also need a good backup G...

So in:
-top 4 D who can play the 1st unit PP or the 2nd unit PP
-big body C who can help out with the depth
-another goal scoring winger for depth
-a backup G

Out:
Jones, Khabi, Harti, Belanger, Potter, Peckham

I'm willing to give up most of the Oilers picks in this upcoming draft. If this playoff push propels us into a run of playoff births over the coming years, then we can sacrifice a years worth of prospects.

This plan begins with a WIN TONIGHT!

Old
03-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4fn8d View Post
I'm hoping that management sees that this year is the breakout year for our youth. It's time to go big. Too much negativity and no results WILL impact our youth long term.

We need to be buyers in the biggest way this deadline. Let's dangle our first rounder this year to get a player who can help us make this push. Either a top 4 D with a good shot for the PP or a big body C or another goal scoring winger for added depth.

So in:
-a backup G

Out:

I'm willing to give up most of the Oilers picks in this upcoming draft. If this playoff push propels us into a run of playoff births over the coming years, then we can sacrifice a years worth of prospects.

We don't play today.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:05 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
It could happen if the incoming player is not a pending UFA. KInd of like when we traded Penner to LA--who at the time had an extra year on his contract.
Yes, but that's not a rental.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:10 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Katz Fan Club View Post
If the teacher of an F student gives him some extra credit work, and he gets a leg up on the competition in this way, it doesn't change his work habits. It doesn't change his attitude. He is still an F student, and will not be a stable A student until he changes his way of thinking. That extra credit could be a hot goaltender, a few good prospects, in the end your team's loser ways will corrupt that winner into a loser.
You stretched that analogy to death without retaining a single semblance of your original point.

Making the playoffs would be an accomplishment, especially this year where all but two teams could realistically make or miss the playoffs. It's not low-hanging fruit, it's year over year progress.

Quote:
Brian Burke was right, there is no Pittsburgh model. However, there is the "Mario Lemieux owning your team and babysitting your young players into turning into winners" model. There is the Detroit Model, or the "Scotty Bowman teaching a young Steve Yzerman how to forget about scoring a hundred points and do the things it takes to win" model.
It's not the "Pittsburgh" model, it's the draft rebuild model and it's engineered three of the last four cup winners. Go figure.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4fn8d View Post

So in:
-a backup G

Out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
We don't play today.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Arpeggio

Catching Minnesota and winning the division is very unlikely, however a win against San Jose could put the Oilers in the drivers seat, in that they'll simply have to outplay everyone below them in the standings to make the playoffs. Depends on what happens tonight of course.

A win against San Jose means that they've pretty much made up all the ground on the teams ahead of them, and now just have to record the best record down the stretch to get in. Which is about as much as you could ask for at this point of the season.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
I got ahead of myself. 9 wins and 2 overtime losses the rest of the way (9-9-2)
on the season that is 20w-20l-8otl = 48 points
I'm right there with you. A .500 record represents another 10 point increase over a 82 game schedule. From 62 to 72 last year, to 82 point pace this year, and next year with a decent acquisition or two we will BELONG in the playoff hunt.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:16 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Lol, nope, we are 6pts back of minny right now (i know, doesnt sound like much right?), BUT, and this is what people cant seem to figure out, we need to win 3 in a row AND they have to lose 3 in a row JUST TO TIE THEM...now, do you really think even THAT is a possibility (and dont give me the "anything is possible" rhetoric, even that is a long shot, and thats just to tie, not take the lead (AND its not even taking into account that van can still take the lead again during those 3 games).

Anyways, this is why we have to win a bunch in a row, if we win lets say 8 in a row, we would be at 44 pts, minny is at 34 right now, so they would have to go .500 in their next 10 games just for us to tie them, and like i said, thats not even taking van into the equation, and once again, we arent even close to minny for the tie breaker either (although we're only 1 behind van, so we would almost want them to be in the lead at that time).

Point is, ANY game you lose from here on out is going to be demoralizing. Cant afford to lose any for a while, do you really think that will happen with this team, despite how they've played lately? Not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic.
Take a look at the last 10 games played by everyone. Ripping off 8 in a row would likely make us the best team in the West over the next 10 games. Only Chicago had 8 wins in their last 10. We're 3 points from being in sole possession of 8th place. Of the teams from 7th to last, only Columbus has a winning record in that span. If we can win 6 or 7, without giving up an OT point, that gives us 12 or 14 points. If the other teams keep their same pace (8 - 10 points over that time), then we've leapfrogged San Jose and Phoenix and possibly Vancouver, and gained room on Nashville and Calgary (Columbus is on a hot streak, so who knows what they do).

8 in a row, versus Minnesota's current 70% win percentage (and they're heading on the road more), would put us right up with them. 10 in a row and we're ahead. And that's IF they were to keep up their current win percentage, which I doubt. They may be too far to catch, but winning 8 in a row is unrealistic for almost any team. And its not necessary to pull ahead of the other struggling teams around us. We don't NEED it. It would help a lot, but its not a necessity.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:20 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:

Columbus went from the basement to a playoff contender in 10 games. They were way behind. Now they are looking like a team that will make it. We have better odds than the teams below us, and only 2 more wins than the 3 teams ahead of us (not counting OT losses) to make the playoffs. Barring a miracle run, this can still happen. It won't be easy, but its certainly realistic.

Closed Thread