HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#31 Washington Capitals vs Pittsburgh Penguins | March 19, 2012 @ 7:30PM EST

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Bengui

vCash: 500
Eaton needs a rest, Bortuzzo needs to be playing. Seems like a good fit to me...

Old
03-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
Despres has made a lot of mistakes this year... around the net eatons been better. The penguins wanted to get out of the high scoring games, eaton helps them do that more than despres.

And before you guys go off the deep end i'm not saying he's better, just more stable in the type of games they are looking to play right now. You know exactly what you're getting with Eaton... despres could be either way, from shift to shift.
In his last 5 games, Despres has made hardly any errors.... other than falling down which gifted the Isles a goal. He has absolutely owned in our own zone and around our net. Winning every battle. Litterally.
Despres has been on the ice for 7 ES goals against in 21 games this season. Mark Eaton has been on the ice for 6 ES goals against in 7 games. In fact I think he must have the worst goals against/60 of any Pens defender this season, despite having played in one of the spells where we've played our best defense.

I find it impossible to understand how anyone could argue that Despres at present is not doing more to help us win games, defensively as well as offensively.

Again, nothing against Eaton's performances so far. But he is a bend-don't break player. Against Boston I was afraid all the time he was on the ice, because we got hemmed in by their forecheck all the time the puck was near him.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:38 AM
HotCoffey

So we've gone from "Why are you resigning Eaton when no team wanted him" to "Why are you playing Despres instead of Eaton?" What a turn around. Despres should start every game. He is the best breakout from the offensive zone, hell of a shot, he's responsible around the net and a solid body check.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:39 AM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

I can't fathom why anyone would prefer Eaton in the lineup or getting more minutes over Despres. He's a solid guy. That's it. Despres hasn't been bad in his own end, and if you're counting a ton of mistakes he's made, you're willingly ignoring the deficiencies of Eaton and others.

Anyhow,

can someone explain this:
Quote:
Adam Oates: "Right now they're (the Penguins) very good and cocky."
to me? from Yohe. I get the first half, the Pens do seem very good right now. Haven't seen anything that even comes close to cockiness.

===> https://twitter.com/JoshYohe_Trib/st...51895243202560 <===

Last edited by IcedCapp: 03-19-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old
03-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Get To Our Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Just a heads up that Crosby has 6 points in 2 games against Washington this season and 22 points in his last 13 games against Washington.

Is there a website that has a players record against every team? ESPN only goes back a few years.
Yahoo! sports is pretty good with those splits. You can view select years, or a whole career (back to 2000, I believe).

Crosby career: 14 G, 27A, 41Pts in 24 regular season games against Washington

Old
03-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I can't fathom why anyone would prefer Eaton in the lineup or getting more minutes over Despres. He's a solid guy. That's it. Despres hasn't been bad in his own end, and if you're counting a ton of mistakes he's made, you're willingly ignoring the deficiencies of Eaton and others.

Anyhow,

can someone explain this:

to me? from Yohe. I get the first half, the Pens do seem very good right now. Haven't seen anything that even comes close to cockiness.
John Tortorella told him that the Pens are an arrogant organization.

Seriously, I have no idea. Maybe he meant confident and just phrased it poorly.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Wow. Didn't realise he had so many. I predict a good game for him tonight.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:46 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
John Tortorella told him that the Pens are an arrogant organization.

Seriously, I have no idea. Maybe he meant confident and just phrased it poorly.
Speaking of John Tortorella. Does anyone have his post-game presser after our 3-0 win over them?

Old
03-19-2013, 11:47 AM
#1GuinFan

vCash: 3881
There's alot of future nhl coaches in this thread

Old
03-19-2013, 11:52 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Is Oates serious? Why add fuel to a fire? You could have snuck a win out tonight by just bringing your team to play. Now you want them to come hungry with something to post on the wall?

Are you serious?

Old
03-19-2013, 11:59 AM

I'll take good and cocky over an underpreforming blah mess any day.

Also he needs to tell his top prospect to stop talking to his friends about getting traded to NYR and Brighton Beach. Another dope to add to that mess in Washington.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Should be no reason the pens don't win tonight, the caps are in shambles. I respect Adam Oates a lot, but he needs to keep his mouth shut.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:13 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

So is Malkin playing tonight? And FYI both Laich and Orlov are making their debuts for the Caps tonight. Hopefully it will be a more entertaining game tonight (even though I'm sure you guys enjoyed blowing the Caps out the previous 2 games )

Old
03-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Max Talbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Couple random thoughts:

- I like how Eaton is playing... but how does it happen that a guy just immediately is given a spot over other guys who have also played well. It makes no sense to me. The guy couldn't even make a team and now is our top 4 because what he did in 09. Shero gave us depth, Bylsma turns it into ridiculousness.
Very well said. For as OK as hes been, he gets a little too much praise from a few people around here. Hes a solid option for the 7th dman but anything else is ridiculous in my opinion considering we have other good options.

Last edited by ColePens: 03-19-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old
03-19-2013, 12:24 PM
HotCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
So is Malkin playing tonight? And FYI both Laich and Orlov are making their debuts for the Caps tonight. Hopefully it will be a more entertaining game tonight (even though I'm sure you guys enjoyed blowing the Caps out the previous 2 games )
He skated with the team for the first time, but Bylsma said he and Letang are both out, everyone else (Cooke) is a gametime decision.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Solution

This just my opinion, but I think the reason why Eaton is playing so much is to provide some level of comfort to Letang. Certain posters here (I can not remember who) mentioned the Letang seemd to be uncomfortable when playing with Despres. Letang has played with Eaton before. Splitting the minutes with Letang between Eaton and Despres would allow Letang to be comfortable while working Depres into that rotation. I have not monitored the ice time, but that was what i felt was the goal behind signing Eaton. Plus a little more veteran leadership on the blue line.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:34 PM
plaidchuck

Why oh why is glass still in. Maybe he is being offered for trade!? Please?!

Old
03-19-2013, 12:36 PM
MtlPenFan

Comfort or not, there is literally not a single reason why Despres should not only be in the lineup every game, but playing at least 15 minutes per.

And if Glass is moving up to the third line, then for the love of God let's not have Sutter centering that line.

Last edited by MtlPenFan: 03-19-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old
03-19-2013, 12:43 PM
HotCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
This just my opinion, but I think the reason why Eaton is playing so much is to provide some level of comfort to Letang. Certain posters here (I can not remember who) mentioned the Letang seemd to be uncomfortable when playing with Despres. Letang has played with Eaton before. Splitting the minutes with Letang between Eaton and Despres would allow Letang to be comfortable while working Depres into that rotation. I have not monitored the ice time, but that was what i felt was the goal behind signing Eaton. Plus a little more veteran leadership on the blue line.
Letang and Orpik have looked like an awkward prom date at times on the ice this season and Dan still has them playing together when there's no other option. I don't think Dan or Letang would use that excuse for a guy not playing, especially when he's noticably one of the best D men on the ice.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:46 PM
gdsmack267

Anyone else just have a bad feeling about this game?

Old
03-19-2013, 12:55 PM
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
Anyone else just have a bad feeling about this game?
It'll only be bad if they play lazy and decide to take a ton of penalties.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

If Crosby takes over we win. If not... it'll be close. Hopefully we see a lot of Crosby to Kunitz.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:04 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Comfort or not, there is literally not a single reason why Despres should not only be in the lineup every game, but playing at least 15 minutes per.

And if Glass is moving up to the third line, then for the love of God let's not have Sutter centering that line.
I'd rather play Bortuzzo on the 3rd line than Glass.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:06 PM
PensPlz

Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Speaking of John Tortorella. Does anyone have his post-game presser after our 3-0 win over them?
I saw it on the Ranger's NHL site. It wasn't anything special.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:08 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

I gave up complaining about Bylsma's lineup incompetence a few weeks ago. It will never change. He loves veterans, and will always defer to playing them no matter what. Even to the detriment of his own team's on ice play. Nobody can change it besides Shero. He can trade his love affairs, he can force him to play certain guys, or he can fire him.

Closed Thread