HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Todd Mclellan needs go

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2013, 12:46 AM
  #101
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,940
vCash: 500
The perfect coach was Bruce Beudreau, but we missed that boat!

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:47 AM
  #102
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,048
vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
robinson "all we need to do is play safe hockey" is the right man. yeah. right.
Exactly. We need someone willing to open it up.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:50 AM
  #103
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin
 
Hatrick Marleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: With JR
Posts: 4,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Exactly. We need someone willing to open it up.
Also, we need players willing to try. This was a classic Shark game tonight. Play like crap for 2 periods---Dominate the 3rd----Get false hope.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:55 AM
  #104
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,048
vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
Also, we need players willing to try. This was a classic Shark game tonight. Play like crap for 2 periods---Dominate the 3rd----Get false hope.
No, I mean play an offensive system. We have the personnel to play well in an offensive system.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:56 AM
  #105
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 34,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsharkfan View Post
He's a quick-fix.

We need a coach who commands some nasty hockey. "Safe hockey" is better than they are showing now. This team is wound too tight.
They don't need safe hockey. McLellan's post-game is a perfect picture of what is wrong with the coaching side of things. They believe that they can't benefit from a track-meet style hockey game. They can if they use their talent properly. But even with that belief, it trickles into their puck play because they're so boxed in and bottled up as a team. They don't stretch the ice. They don't spread out at all especially on the breakout. They don't need four guys on the same side of the ice on a breakout.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:59 AM
  #106
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsharkfan View Post
He's a quick-fix.

We need a coach who commands some nasty hockey. "Safe hockey" is better than they are showing now. This team is wound too tight.
Safe hockey is the system they are playing right now. It's what's keeping Murray in the lineup and killing the breakout. Robinson's running the defense.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:01 AM
  #107
lsx
Registered User
 
lsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 3,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
They don't need safe hockey. McLellan's post-game is a perfect picture of what is wrong with the coaching side of things. They believe that they can't benefit from a track-meet style hockey game. They can if they use their talent properly. But even with that belief, it trickles into their puck play because they're so boxed in and bottled up as a team. They don't stretch the ice. They don't spread out at all especially on the breakout. They don't need four guys on the same side of the ice on a breakout.
Yep - that was utterly telling when he said that. Lack of foot speed by some players doesn't mean you need to play a slow game across the board.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:03 AM
  #108
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
Also, we need players willing to try. This was a classic Shark game tonight. Play like crap for 2 periods---Dominate the 3rd----Get false hope.
They dominated most of the 1st period as well. Don't let that one bad mistake color your memory. The Ducks were due to push back in the 2nd and they just committed several really bad errors.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:13 AM
  #109
sjshark91
Registered User
 
sjshark91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 25,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
The perfect coach was Bruce Beudreau, but we missed that boat!
Tippet

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:24 AM
  #110
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
Tippet
Beudreau is a better coach for this team, perfect really. I said so when he got fired last year. Should have fired Tmac right then and hired him. DW boned it up again though.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:06 AM
  #111
LeeIFBB
Teflon Doug
 
LeeIFBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tanning Bed
Posts: 1,537
vCash: 500
#koalaout

LeeIFBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:51 AM
  #112
PlaywithGutz
Registered User
 
PlaywithGutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,246
vCash: 500
This team is not suited to play any type of track meet, trade chances, system b/c they dont have the team speed. Hence the reason they play a D first, try to grind it out along the boards, collapse to the house, old Devils and LR sytle....

blame DW for going old and slow as the league gets younger and faster...but he should have fired Toddr a while ago as they arent playing for him or each other and Toddr is waiving the white flag...it is like watching the Titanic in super slow mo

PlaywithGutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:05 AM
  #113
Trojan35
Registered User
 
Trojan35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
The perfect coach was Bruce Beudreau, but we missed that boat!
Boudreau looks like someone who's learned from his mistakes. His stock was at an all-time low after the unflattering HBO contrast vs Bylsma, changing his style to defensive hockey, and the great8 basically helping get him fired. People ignored his amazing record over the last few years and chalked it up to his talented roster (Backstrom, Ovechkin, Semin, Green, etc). How's that working out without him?


Would have loved to ditch TM for BB. The craziest part? Some other team might be saying the same thing about McLellan. His record over the last few years is amazing. People say he's not performing to the talent of JT/PM/Boyle. Some other team might be really itching for TM right now.

Can we put TM on the trading block?

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:20 AM
  #114
Trojan35
Registered User
 
Trojan35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
Even if the Ehrhoff trade was for cap reasons, he should have been able to get more out of it but he got crap.
He got two things:

1) rid of Lukovich which had negative value
2) Rob Blake via FA

He traded $5M in Ehrhoff/Lukowich for $5m in Rob Blake. And if you take that year's team and replace Blake with Error and scratch Luko, its a much worse team.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:24 AM
  #115
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post
He got two things:

1) rid of Lukovich which had negative value
2) Rob Blake via FA

He traded $5M in Ehrhoff/Lukowich for $5m in Rob Blake. And if you take that year's team and replace Blake with Error and scratch Luko, its a much worse team.
Sure, but none of that precludes a better return. Somewhere along the line DW screwed up and showed his cards because that is the only explanation for cap dumping a good offensive defensemen who a short time later got a HUGE contract in free agency.

Ehrhoff should have got at least a 1st round pick, DW got screwed, we'll never know how or why most likely.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:40 AM
  #116
Tkachuk4MVP
23 Years of Fail
 
Tkachuk4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 9,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post
He got two things:

1) rid of Lukovich which had negative value
2) Rob Blake via FA

He traded $5M in Ehrhoff/Lukowich for $5m in Rob Blake. And if you take that year's team and replace Blake with Error and scratch Luko, its a much worse team.

Lukowich was a solid partner for Boyle (that D group overall is arguably the best we've ever had), so I disagree that he had negative value. More to the point, his value was certainly not low enough to justify that god-awful return.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:25 PM
  #117
Nolan11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Sure, but none of that precludes a better return. Somewhere along the line DW screwed up and showed his cards because that is the only explanation for cap dumping a good offensive defensemen who a short time later got a HUGE contract in free agency.

Ehrhoff should have got at least a 1st round pick, DW got screwed, we'll never know how or why most likely.
As I recall the timing, Blake was signed a while before DW announce he was trading Error for a bag of pucks. Basically, he announced to the world we now had cap troubles, killing his leverage.

But even still, Error had much more value than he got. I personally think error's lack of accuracy in his shot had DW convinced he was more hype than real. Similar to McGinn, DW did not see the growth in the kid that year. Error had pushed past a plateau at the end of the last season with us, as McGinn did his last season with us, and was poised for better performance.

DW was working off of old data, and it cost us. (Same problem when he signs aging vets, old data).

Nolan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:47 PM
  #118
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan11 View Post
As I recall the timing, Blake was signed a while before DW announce he was trading Error for a bag of pucks. Basically, he announced to the world we now had cap troubles, killing his leverage.

But even still, Error had much more value than he got. I personally think error's lack of accuracy in his shot had DW convinced he was more hype than real. Similar to McGinn, DW did not see the growth in the kid that year. Error had pushed past a plateau at the end of the last season with us, as McGinn did his last season with us, and was poised for better performance.

DW was working off of old data, and it cost us. (Same problem when he signs aging vets, old data).
No.

This is a matter of fact. Plenty of teams were calling for Ehrhoff. They wanted him. It was when DW stipulated that no salary could come back, and that Luko had to go with him, that team's started hanging up the phone.

NHL fans need to dissuade themselves of this idea of "killing leverage". Like when Chicago had cap issues...they were trading valuable players; desireable players. In the market, team's are going to ignore the fact that "he has to take less because of cap issues", because another team will always be willing to ignore it. You would need all teams to mutually hold that against him.
Logically, it makes sense. Why would DW move Ehrhoff to a conference rival unless he had no other option?

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:37 PM
  #119
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 34,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
No.

This is a matter of fact. Plenty of teams were calling for Ehrhoff. They wanted him. It was when DW stipulated that no salary could come back, and that Luko had to go with him, that team's started hanging up the phone.

NHL fans need to dissuade themselves of this idea of "killing leverage". Like when Chicago had cap issues...they were trading valuable players; desireable players. In the market, team's are going to ignore the fact that "he has to take less because of cap issues", because another team will always be willing to ignore it. You would need all teams to mutually hold that against him.
Logically, it makes sense. Why would DW move Ehrhoff to a conference rival unless he had no other option?
Had no option really means put himself in a corner. He had other options but refused to explore them. Like not re-signing Huskins or waiving Lukowich or just trading Ehrhoff for value. There's no excusing that pathetic trade.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:46 PM
  #120
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 34,457
vCash: 500
Let the year play out. Deal our pending UFA's. Change the coach and GM after the year.

__________________
Devil inside, devil inside, every single one of us, the devil inside.
SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:47 PM
  #121
one2gamble
Registered User
 
one2gamble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Had no option really means put himself in a corner. He had other options but refused to explore them. Like not re-signing Huskins or waiving Lukowich or just trading Ehrhoff for value. There's no excusing that pathetic trade.
Bingo. He had room to keep error and chose to take a different path, the issue was he painted himself in a corner where he needed a dump and blew it.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:50 PM
  #122
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol
 
Ninja Hertl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Yay
Country: United States
Posts: 5,194
vCash: 500
I wonder...

Even though they are playing 'safe hockey' they still turn the puck over a ridiculous amount. Would playing a cherry picking run and gun game really increase the amount of turnovers that much? If you already suck at holding onto the puck, might as well take some risks with it.

Ninja Hertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:18 PM
  #123
TealTownUSA
Registered User
 
TealTownUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 415
Country: United States
Posts: 1,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkohol View Post
I wonder...

Even though they are playing 'safe hockey' they still turn the puck over a ridiculous amount. Would playing a cherry picking run and gun game really increase the amount of turnovers that much? If you already suck at holding onto the puck, might as well take some risks with it.
i'd love for them to take risks and cherry pick, but you need all 5 guys there to clear the puck which they suck at doing.

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:36 PM
  #124
DavidPuddy43
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
New here but reader for a long time.

I think Todd needs to go, based on the Ducks game last night alone. The first period the sharks looked good, they were aggressive on the forecheck and the ducks really couldn't break out. It was one of the best forechecking periods i've seen from the sharks in a long time. The second period however it was completely different, there was no forecheck and it would take either the ducks one stretch pass to clear the zone or a quick pass to the winger who then passed it weak side and out they went. There was no aggressiveness at all.

I dont think i saw the sharks pin the ducks in the offensive zone once in the second period which should be easy during the second cause of the short change into the offensive zone. Its much easier to get fresh guys into the zone. The philosophy that the team is playing right now is not working and needs to be changed soon. Once they got scored on there was no sense of urgency. Yes they almost came back but they weren't pushing hard at all.

DavidPuddy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:44 PM
  #125
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 40,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkohol View Post
I wonder...

Even though they are playing 'safe hockey' they still turn the puck over a ridiculous amount. Would playing a cherry picking run and gun game really increase the amount of turnovers that much? If you already suck at holding onto the puck, might as well take some risks with it.
They turn it over because they hold onto the puck way too long, they try and make plays standing still. A lot of their problems could be fixed if they would look to skate with the puck opposed to throwing it up the boards blindly or hail mary stretch passes.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.