HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposal Thread Vol. 8: The North Remembers

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 500
Rumor and Proposal Thread Vol. 8: The North Remembers

Continue here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
0.71 PPG while playing through an injury, bad puck luck (ie. low on ice shooting%) and playing on a line with *another* player playing through an injury isn't exactly bad... eberle is still having a pretty decent season, pro-rated to 59 points over a full 82 game season
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Typical ignorant NHL fan comment.

Ask Canes fans about who their most complete forward is. They will say Semin. Many put his defensive game and impact at a near Jordan Staal level.

He's the defensive conscious on that line with Staal and Tlusty, and had been an NHL best at plus/minus over the last 3-5 seasons. You're just talking out of your ****** because you look at his nationality and not how he plays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Any trade proposals that include Eberle, RNH, or Yakupov are posted by people who are "success now at all costs" types, I would imagine.

That being said, I honestly don't expect Edmonton to make any considerable moves at the deadline. Tambellini cannot settle for picks and prospects, and I don't see any contenders giving up pieces of their teams to Edmonton for a Smid, Whitney, Hemsky or Khabibulin. I can see the team making moves in the offseason though, since that's when teams are more apt to dealing roster players.

My bet is this... Khabibulin is dealt to Boston as they don't want to go into the playoffs with Khudobin as their back-up to Rask. Khabi could bring in a pick (2nd or lower), which I don't mind because it's not like he'd be playing a ton of games with us anyways. I could also see Khabby ending up in Winnipeg to give them some insurance in net since they're in the playoff hunt in the east as well.

If the Oilers get any indecisiveness from Smid about his chances of re-signing, my bet is that they deal him too, so they don't risk losing him for nothing.

If Edmonton can find a taker for Belanger, he's probably gone too.

Whitney and Hemsky are probably gone in the offseason. Depending upon how agressive Tambellini is, I wouldn't be surprised to see us a few draft picks lighter as well. (2013 and 2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
That wheeler proposal is pretty ridiculous, but i think most people offering to trade Eberle do it because he has the most value of our RW overload, and we want a major upgrade to our backend, not the scraps we'd get for Hemsky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
Since we're dealing Eberle(), why not to Buffalo:

Eberle for Ehroff
Eberle for Hodgeson and Stafford
Eberle for Vanek(at least he can score, right?)
Eberle for Miller(since he is so much better than Dubnyk)

03-19-2013, 12:37 PM
c4fn8d

TIL: Eberle with broken finger = Blake freakin Wheeler + youth.

YIKES

Old
03-19-2013, 01:04 PM
SterlingArcher

I wonder what edmonton wants back for guys like Whitney, Smid and others. Most teams who are competing want to give up just prospects or Ickes not actual contributors. It seems we have passed the point of first round picks and prospects.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:08 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Any trade proposals that include Eberle, RNH, or Yakupov are posted by people who are "success now at all costs" types, I would imagine.
I'd say probably more the "fantasy hockey/NHL13" types myself. But I suppose that makes up most of the people who post trade proposals on message boards.

03-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingArcher View Post
I wonder what edmonton wants back for guys like Whitney, Smid and others. Most teams who are competing want to give up just prospects or Ickes not actual contributors. It seems we have passed the point of first round picks and prospects.
futures for whitney would be fine, were not re signing him, would certainly hurt for Smid though.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:15 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
if the ryan whitney we have as of the last 6-8 games is back then i want a 1st round pick and a good prospect back or i want to sign him to a 1-2 yr deal. a healthy whitney is very valuable

Old
03-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Conkanen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingArcher View Post
Man I would hate to lose Smid now. He is the most known quantity we have and I think he loves it in Edmonton and would take a discount to sign here. A three year deal would be perfect and would buy us time to see what we have in Marincin, Klefbom, Musil, etc.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Bobblehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
if the ryan whitney we have as of the last 6-8 games is back then i want a 1st round pick and a good prospect back or i want to sign him to a 1-2 yr deal. a healthy whitney is very valuable
I don't think anyone is giving much more than a 3rd rounder for Whitney. I'm still a big fan of his when he's healthy, but I doubt there's much desire to pay more than that. I would be ok with a 1-2 year deal for cheap though.

Khabby might get us a 4th rounder if a bidding war happens - TB? BOS? CAR?

Maybe NJ wants to corner the market on 40 year old goalies?

Old
03-19-2013, 01:20 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
I agree. A healthy Whitney is still a top 4 Dman. We need more of those. Not less. A one year deal for him would be ideal IMO. Gives Klefbom a year to get back upti speed and wet his feet in the AHL, and if Whitney stays healthy for another year he will be worth a lot by next TD. And if he can't stay healthy you waive him or just let him go after next year.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Dangerdanger

Quote:
futures for whitney would be fine, were not re signing him, would certainly hurt for Smid though.
See, this I don't understand. Whitney has really picked it up lately, and there's definitely some potential that he'll be able to keep it up.

Why do people think a guy can miss most of two years of hockey and then come back like he hasn't been away at all? There's going to be a lag time before he gets back to where he was (if he does at all). Why would you want to deal him when it finally seems he's getting back to his old form?

Old
03-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Koto

Whats the upside to keeping whitney for one more year?

He plays well, then you resign him to a bigger deal? And then he goes on to be injured for half of that contract...

We've seen enough, he can't be relied on, lets move on.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Elim99

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4fn8d View Post
TIL: Eberle with broken finger = Blake freakin Wheeler + youth.

YIKES
Eberle has a broker finger? It explains the off year.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:31 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
Whats the upside to keeping whitney for one more year?

He plays well, then you resign him to a bigger deal? And then he goes on to be injured for half of that contract...

We've seen enough, he can't be relied on, lets move on.
an upside is a top 4 dman?

Old
jmoss45

Top 6 LW

One of my hopes is that Tambo will try to find someone with size to play the left side with Ebs and Nuge. Andrew Ladd would be the ideal candidate (Lucic wouldn't look bad either) but neither of those is realistic.

What about Bickell? He's not as physical, but he's 6'4, good along the boards and in his own end, averages ~2 hits/game and is putting up decent numbers this year. He's 27 and a UFA this summer.

Thoughts?

Old
Koto

Quote:
an upside is a top 4 dman?
please respond to my full comment.

Old
Njoy Oilers

I see Hemsky as being the main piece moved out, along with minor ones, like Potter or Peckam AND Omark.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:32 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elim99 View Post
Eberle has a broker finger? It explains the off year.
It's only been for a couple weeks as far as I know. Not really that concerned though with Eberle.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:35 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
please respond to my full comment.
Don't pay him as a top 4 d-man and it isn't a problem. Have him slotted in on your bottom pairing, so that if does go down it doesn't hurt that much.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Don't pay him as a top 4 d-man and it isn't a problem. Have him slotted in on your bottom pairing, so that if does go down it doesn't hurt that much.
so you want to sign him as a plug, with no long term expecations?

sounds reasonable.

except he has an above average chance (among plugs) of falling completely out of the lineup for health reasons.

why not sign a plug without chronic injury.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:38 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
If Whitney was resigned, doubtful it would be to a bigger deal, given how dreadful he's been. That said, if he thinks he can get a bigger deal, he's off his rocker and should be moved for whatever we can get for him.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:41 PM
joestevens29

Quote:

sounds reasonable.

except he has an above average chance (among plugs) of falling completely out of the lineup for health reasons.

That's generally what bottom pairing d-men and 4th liners are is plugs. If they weren't they would be third liners or 2nd pairing guys.

Why not sign a plug without chronic injury, well because you can do both and hope that one plug(whitney) over achieves because if he does you look good.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:46 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:

sounds reasonable.

because a plugs upside is pluggish, whitneys upside is top 2 dman, its a smart gamble if you are paying plug $ for him

Old
03-19-2013, 01:50 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Whitney isn't going to re-sign in Edmonton - he's going to head back to the East Coast thanks to being a UFA

Old
03-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Beerfish

The oilers should be pressing hard to trade Whitney and Hemsky right now. I'd also easily deep six Nick Schultz. Can't trade Khabby becasue the value is not there and we have no viable tender behind Dubby.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:01 PM
armandh01

If this 3 line system we have going continues to have success, we have a problem when it comes to dealing our forward assets. Hemsky is no longer AS expendable without a proper return.

You could try to invent a new 3rd line I suppose if we got rid of Hemsky. Sign Cheechoo for a year to see how he does. Buyout Smyth.

Hall - Horcoff - Eberle
Mag - Gag - Yak
X - RNH - Cheechoo
Petrell - Belanger - Brown

Shelter RNH until he gets his FO% up some and game back.
Trade Hemsky for some D help if Smid leaves. X could be a prospect from our pool if we can't find a decent UFA / RFA. Don't know if you give Jones another shot to recover a bit or not. Maybe for cheap.

I wonder if we could get Horcoff to buyout and resign for cheap to free up capspace that could be useful to sign Gagner with. I am against trading him, I think it would be foolish.

Glad I'm not a GM lol.

Closed Thread