HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Marc Bergevin Experience

Old
03-18-2013, 04:33 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
I think he's overrated, and this is gauthier's team, outside Jacques Martin which was the smartest move to be made it is all gauthier.

remember the subban fiasco? people were freaking out.

he's alright, gauthier really set this team up; especially with the draft.

I still prefer cole's style of play to ryder's but that's short-term thinking because ryder will not be here next year.
Markov, Plekanec, Gionta, DD, Gorges, Price, Paccioretty, Moen, White, Weber -> Pre Gauthier

Prust, Ryder, Armstrong, Bouillon, Gallagher, Galchenuyk -> After Gauthier

Don't think it's Gauthier's team much...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:38 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
This is the vid that got Therrien his job @ 06:40..
Ha! yeah, probably.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:39 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Man, I had a weird dream last night where he joined the bench mid-game fully dressed up and went on to score a goal.

The roleplayer in me probably also added the part where he stole some of the memorabilia equipment held in memory of the Great Canadiens (Maurice's skates, Beliveau's stick), and this gave him super playing skills...

..... eh. I've had weirder dreams.
Wow. I dreamed last night that I was kidnapped by the cast of America's Next Top Model and taken to the Bahamas.

Priorities.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
If it was the obvious move, shouldn't it actually be an "A"? Pointless comment on my behalf, but this intrigues me. lol
I consider a B as sort of a "meets expectations". To get an A he would have had to trade Gomez for something.

Sorinth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:47 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
I consider a B as sort of a "meets expectations". To get an A he would have had to trade Gomez for something.
Miracles rank higher than an "A".

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
I say we trade him while he still has value.

do you think he called bouillon after he scored on budaj to laugh about it?

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:16 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Man, that clip gets me every damn time. As someone who lost a parent young and only a few years ago, I really related to him when he was talking about bringing the cup to the cemetary. As irrational as it seems, that clip made him the favorite for the job in my book.
Hey, I'm sorry to hear that man.

And yeah, this was a truly genuine moment from Bergevin. In the L'Antichambre episode, you have to remember that it was likely filmed the same day he was introduced by Geoff Molson. He just looked physically and emotionally drained by that point.

My favourite quote from him so far is this one: "Si tu travail , l'erreur est acceptée. Mais si tu ne travail pas , l'erreur n'est pas acceptée."

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:27 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

From what I remember reading, Bergevin's man at the begining was Marc Crawford until he met Therrien, who completely nailed his interview and got the job.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:52 PM
FranksterQc

Wow check this old one too

Love how he talks about the canadiens.

protip: put it in 240 resolution for stereo sound.

FranksterQc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Kenny Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksterQc View Post
Wow check this old one too

Love how he talks about the canadiens.

protip: put it in 240 resolution for stereo sound.
Wow!! He looks exactly the same while talking.

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:16 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Marc

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:48 AM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saundies View Post
I wouldn't say this is solely Gauthier's team; it has fingerprints from all three of Gauthier, BG and MB. But as much as I hated the guy, I will give him his due as most of the moves he did end up doing went to helping the team. It was more of the vibe he put other there and the culture he set up around the organization that the team didn't do well last year, and everything turned into a circus.

Marc is awesome. He's outgoing and he seems like he really knows what he wants to do in terms of his plan. He's earned my trust so far. We all know no GM is perfect though, and he's gonna mess up. Let's just hope the good outweighs the bad.

I would agree.

Gauthier comes across as an odd character and really not someone to run a team. Although, I think it's too early to give MB credit but I do love his personality. At the end of the day, it'll take a least 2-3 years before you can actually judge his decisions and I just find this premature because the habs are playing extremely well.

The best decision was MT > JM, not only because we're winning, but rather the on ice product/style is more entertaining for the fans. Last couple years, I would watch games and constantly say to myself: why am I watching this game?

Now we get to see a few different styles, based on who we play and whether we are home or away. MT's experience in the Atlantic is HUGE, and highly under valued, because he's so familiar with their styles and tendencies.

For me, MT is the best thing to happen to us. I never would have thought MT coaching the pens would prove to be such value when we play against the Atlantic. That's why I hope LR goes out west, so we don't have to deal with a guy who's familiar with the habs organization.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Lshap

Quote:
I would agree.

Gauthier comes across as an odd character and really not someone to run a team. Although, I think it's too early to give MB credit but I do love his personality. At the end of the day, it'll take a least 2-3 years before you can actually judge his decisions and I just find this premature because the habs are playing extremely well.

The best decision was MT > JM, not only because we're winning, but rather the on ice product/style is more entertaining for the fans. Last couple years, I would watch games and constantly say to myself: why am I watching this game?

Now we get to see a few different styles, based on who we play and whether we are home or away. MT's experience in the Atlantic is HUGE, and highly under valued, because he's so familiar with their styles and tendencies.

For me, MT is the best thing to happen to us. I never would have thought MT coaching the pens would prove to be such value when we play against the Atlantic. That's why I hope LR goes out west, so we don't have to deal with a guy who's familiar with the habs organization.
I'm blanking... who's LR?

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:58 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Randy Cunningworth

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:01 AM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Lindy Ruff

e46330ivs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
Quote:
Looking at his big choices so far I would give him

Coach (A): I didn't like it at the time but clearly he made the right call.
UFAs (B+): They've worked out great but I can't give an A without top-flight talent
Subban (C-): Should've signed Subban long-term on the cheap(er) when we had the chance.
Gomez (B): Was the obvious move.
Cole/Ryder (B): Still have to see how Ryder performs in the playoffs and what the extra cap space will lead to. Could become a B+ or A-
Desharnais (B-): Not a fan of the term, but did well on the money.

Overall Grade B.
What could he have done better to get an "A" with Gomez?

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Marc-E-

Quote:
Larry Robinson.

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:20 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
What could he have done better to get an "A" with Gomez?
I mentioned it before, a B can be thought of as meets expectations. To get an A he would've had to exceed expectations. For example trading him to the islanders for Dipietro and a good pick/prospect then buying out Dipietro would have gotten him an A.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:44 AM
AntonCH

Quote:
I mentioned it before, a B can be thought of as meets expectations. To get an A he would've had to exceed expectations. For example trading him to the islanders for Dipietro and a good pick/prospect then buying out Dipietro would have gotten him an A.
LOL
So, you wanted him to spend even MORE of Molson's money in a buyout?

And that would've earned him an A?

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
LOL
So, you wanted him to spend even MORE of Molson's money in a buyout?

And that would've earned him an A?
It's not my money and Molson can afford it. If he would've gotten an asset back from Gomez yes he gets an A. Any time we can get a pick at the cost of only money we should do so, we have deep pockets, use them.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
I think he's overrated, and this is gauthier's team, outside Jacques Martin which was the smartest move to be made it is all gauthier.

remember the subban fiasco? people were freaking out.

he's alright, gauthier really set this team up; especially with the draft.

I still prefer cole's style of play to ryder's but that's short-term thinking because ryder will not be here next year.
am I walking into a troll trap here? is there a missing sarcasm smiley to be found?

Let's look at some of Gauthier's big moves:

UFA Signings:

Cole - Gone
Campoli - Gone, no longer in NHL
Diaz - Still with team, hurt but positive contributor
Halpern - Gone

a few other minor signings, none of which are still with the organization.

1 very good find in Diaz, 1 overpaid veteran we were lucky MB managed to unload for a decent return, 2 depth veterans that were 1 & done.

certainly nothing to write home about or that helped "set the team up".

Trades:

- *A.Kost v. 2nd rd pick - Decent return, though considering Gaustad went to the same team for a 1st, could be argued we didn't get normal deadline premium.
Now =2nd rd pick 2013

- *Gill v. Geoffrion/Slaney/2nd - Solid return despite Geoffrion's current status.
Now = Thrower

* both of those "tanking" trades get done solely because of what a train wreck PG helped create/presided over. Neither were "huge" deadline deal returns (of the Gaustad/1st variety), so hardly a testament to his success in running the team...

- Cammalleri/Rammo/5th v. Bourque/Holland/2nd - decent return, Bourque's inconsistency can spin it either way, strong indications that PG did little to shop Cammalleri, combined with trading so far before the deadline = reasonable questioning of not getting enough in return.
Now = bourque, holland, 2nd 2013

- Kaberle v. Spacek - Stuck with healthy Scratch, 4.25M$ cap hit next year as well, Kaberle's contributions when he did play, helped the team to worst finish in decades. Spacek retired.
Now = expensive press box decoration

- Lapierre v. Festerling/5th + 5th v.Mara - complete lunacy... trades a solid bottom-6 player for a career AHLer + 5th, then trades the 5th back to the team for a 7th dman... Ducks turn around and trade Lapierre for a 3rd pick... epitome of terrible asset management needlessly costing the team a solid young role player without getting anything in return.
Now = zip

- 2nd/5th v. Wisniewski (later traded for a 5th prior to UFA status - solid short term move, helped team make playoffs but ends with first round exit.
Now = Hudon

- O'Byrne v. Bounival arguments on both sides... Bournival looks like future NHLer, but O'byrne has been exactly kind of bottom-pairing Dman we've been needing last 2 years... i'd call it a wash, decent value at the time but hurt the team short-mid term, hopefully Bournival makes it a long-term win.
Now = Bournival

- S.Kost v. nothing, literally not one thing another move that epitomizes the lunacy the PG engaged in when managing young assets... Viable top-9 nhl player, on inexpensive elc/rfa, traded for not one thing.
Now (and then) = ZIP

- Halak v. Eller/Schultz I liked the return from the start, though like the Cammalleri deal, lot's of speculation that minimal "shopping" was done, which is a consistent and regrettable trend.
Now = Eller, Schultz

a bunch of other small moves, none of which left us with anything of relative value.

bottom line, not one current "impact" player was added by Gauthier via trade. Eller & Bourque are the only two positive contributors in the roster that he brought in, Bournival/Holland the only two prospects directly added (as in were drated by other teams).
Yes, we've got some picks this summer, and a few prospects in the system drafted with picks acquired by Gauthier... but the success of our drafting team has been consistent under TImmins through 3 different GM's.

In total, PG's draft pick impact with the team =

IN:
2010: 1st, 4th
2011: 4th, 4th, 5th
2012: 2nd
2013: 2nd, 2nd

OUT:
2010: 1st, 2nd
2011: 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
2012:5th, 5th, 7th
2013:

keeping in mind that the 2012/2013 picks were all acquired as a direct result of the team he was running being the worst Habs team in the modern era & finished last in the conference, I don't think one can argue that he made any direct attempt to make full use of our excellent scouting/draft team. Neutral at best.

Staff:

pretty much everyone he hired is gone, first thing new management team did was bolster the skeleton squad PG ran, making it clear they see more value in assembling a large team to support/run the organization, whereas PG preferred to control/micro-manage... that it conicided with a period of repeated issues in internal athlete development and questionable coaching staff & pro scouting work, speaks volume imo.

Bottom line, i don't think there much evidence to support the notion that Gauthier "set this team up".

of our current roster, only Eller/Diaz/Emelin/Bourque were directly added by him, with Bournival/Schultz/Holland the only prospects he directly traded for.

not exactly an elite franchise legacy...

and any attempt to factor in his influence while being Gainey's right hand man ends definitively with:

GOMEZ

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Bottom line, i don't think there much evidence to support the notion that Gauthier "set this team up".

of our current roster, only Eller/Diaz/Emelin/Bourque were directly added by him, with Bournival/Schultz/Holland the only prospects he directly traded for.
So in other words 2 top-4 D-man, a top-6 forward, and an elite 3rd line C. Which is more than the top-9 forward, 4th line forward, and bottom pairing D-man that MB added.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Andy

Quote:
So in other words 2 top-4 D-man, a top-6 forward, and an elite 3rd line C. Which is more than the top-9 forward, 4th line forward, and bottom pairing D-man that MB added.
You could say that the re-signing of Plekanec, Gorges and Markov are also his moves. We blame GMs when they let players walk, but never say anything about the guys they keep and in this case, they are three players retained from the previous era. Gauthier could have let either of the three walk or even could have traded them, but they were re-signed are all significant contributers to the team.

For as bad as Gainey-Gauthier was...a good chunk of the roster is composed of their acquisitions:
-Desharnais (signed)
-Pacioretty (drafted from a pick acquired in a trade)
-Emelin (signed)
-Diaz (signed)
-Gorges (acquired in a trade)
-Bourque (acquired in a trade)
-Gionta (signed)
-Moen (signed)...Though he was retained by Bergevin, could have let him walk, so I think Bergy gets credit.
-Eller (acquired in a trade)

Bergevin has done a good job in not tweaking too much. Most of the team's success this year has come from health (gionta and Markov back) and guys just developing into good players: Eller, Diaz, Emelin (the latter two have impressed me with their adjustments). Gallagher and Galchenyuk bring some much needed depth in the lineup making the team harder to play against. Most of the adjustments to this team has come from internal improvements rather than external.

Last edited by Andy: 03-19-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Brainiac

vCash: 552
Quote:
It's not my money and Molson can afford it. If he would've gotten an asset back from Gomez yes he gets an A. Any time we can get a pick at the cost of only money we should do so, we have deep pockets, use them.
That's ridiculous. Geoff Molson will not spend millions just to get an extra 2nd round pick... Get real.

Brainiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:17 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
You do realize that this is a business and Not a new release from EA Sports?
You also do realize that Molson owes money on this team that he most likely wants to pay down?

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote