HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposal Thread Vol. 8: The North Remembers

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 01:04 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
At this point I'd sign Whitney.

We have horrible defensive depth and a lack of defencemen who can put up points. Do we want to create another hole in our lineup? I don't have faith that our management would be able to fill it.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
The oilers should be pressing hard to trade Whitney and Hemsky right now. I'd also easily deep six Nick Schultz. Can't trade Khabby becasue the value is not there and we have no viable tender behind Dubby.
Who do you replace Whitney and N. Schultz with after the deadline? Marincin needs to be kept in OKC so that we don't rush him and ruin his confidence so that leaves us with:

Smid-Petry
Fistric-J. Schultz
Peckham-Potter
Teubert

Are you fine with that for the rest of the season? I'm not saying that it's a bad idea to deal N. Schultz as he has been underwhelming this year compared to last, but that is a rough looking defense IMO. If we could get Despres back for Hemsky then that'd make things a little easier IMO.

03-19-2013, 01:08 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Who do you replace Whitney and N. Schultz with after the deadline? Marincin needs to be kept in OKC so that we don't rush him and ruin his confidence so that leaves us with:

Smid-Petry
Fistric-J. Schultz
Peckham-Potter
Teubert

Are you fine with that for the rest of the season? I'm not saying that it's a bad idea to deal N. Schultz as he has been underwhelming this year compared to last, but that is a rough looking defense IMO. If we could get Despres back for Hemsky then that'd make things a little easier IMO.
Have to agree. In Whitney's case even if he walks as a UFA is that really all that bad as opposed to dressing that lineup in exchange for the 2nd(at most) he's probably going to get us?

Old
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
At this point I'd sign Whitney.

We have horrible defensive depth and a lack of defencemen who can put up points. Do we want to create another hole in our lineup? I don't have faith that our management would be able to fill it.
At what cost and what length? If he gets any slower he's an AHL player. I would be very hesitant to sign him more than a year or two. If we can get a solid defense prospect that's 20-22 for him I'd do it. If we can acquire a 2nd for him, I'd do it and try to use that pick to get a replacement for him at the draft when a team is looking to move a player for a pick.

Old
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
The oilers should be pressing hard to trade Whitney and Hemsky right now. I'd also easily deep six Nick Schultz. Can't trade Khabby becasue the value is not there and we have no viable tender behind Dubby.
If you ate the rest of his Cap hit, Habby would be easily moveable, imo. And you can always bring a backup back in that deal or another.

You think the Flyers would have a "hard time" giving up a Leighton or Boucher for something small?

Old
03-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Have to agree. In Whitney's case even if he walks as a UFA is that really all that bad as opposed to dressing that lineup in exchange for the 2nd(at most) he's probably going to get us?
Having him walk for nothing is unacceptable unless there's absolutely no trade market for him. I just don't want to see Marincin get thrown into top 4 minutes before the season is done due to injuries. I'd sooner see Plante up TBH as gruesome as that would be to watch.

Old
joestevens29

Quote:
At what cost and what length? If he gets any slower he's an AHL player. I would be very hesitant to sign him more than a year or two. If we can get a solid defense prospect that's 20-22 for him I'd do it. If we can acquire a 2nd for him, I'd do it and try to use that pick to get a replacement for him at the draft when a team is looking to move a player for a pick.
He's speed hasn't looked all that bad lately. I would worry come the start of next season what his speed would be like though.

1 year less then 2mil you have to keep the guy around. Does he qualify for any sort of injury bonuses?

Old
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
If you ate the rest of his Cap hit, Habby would be easily moveable, imo. And you can always bring a backup back in that deal or another.

You think the Flyers would have a "hard time" giving up a Leighton or Boucher for something small?
And what would Philly add to those guys to make it worth out while?

Old
03-19-2013, 01:11 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
He's speed hasn't looked all that bad lately. I would worry come the start of next season what his speed would be like though.

1 year less then 2mil you have to keep the guy around. Does he qualify for any sort of injury bonuses?
And why does he sign that contract when he'd likely get more and more security on the open market?

Old
03-19-2013, 01:12 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Having him walk for nothing is unacceptable unless there's absolutely no trade market for him. I just don't want to see Marincin get thrown into top 4 minutes before the season is done due to injuries. I'd sooner see Plante up TBH as gruesome as that would be to watch.
Is it acceptable to take ourselves out of a playoff race and make ourselves worse? What message is that showing that we are more concerned about draft picks then actual players?

Old
03-19-2013, 01:12 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
It would have to be a short term deal for sure. One or two years.

If we can trade Whitney for a 2nd, are we going to get a better defenceman back for that same pick?

I just think Whitney is a decent enough stop gap player and we still have a need for his offence on the backend next year.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:13 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
And why does he sign that contract when he'd likely get more and more security on the open market?
You really think teams are lining up to give him multi-year deals?

If he wants to be here that's what he takes. Otherwise he can walk.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:14 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post

I just think Whitney is a decent enough stop gap player and we still have a need for his offence on the backend next year.
This is all we are really looking for. Not every player has to be here for the long haul.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Koto

Quote:
You don't want to trade Khabby because of lack of depth....but Schultz and Hemsky are disposable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
If this 3 line system we have going continues to have success, we have a problem when it comes to dealing our forward assets. Hemsky is no longer AS expendable without a proper return.

You could try to invent a new 3rd line I suppose if we got rid of Hemsky. Sign Cheechoo for a year to see how he does. Buyout Smyth.

Hall - Horcoff - Eberle
Mag - Gag - Yak
X - RNH - Cheechoo
Petrell - Belanger - Brown

Shelter RNH until he gets his FO% up some and game back.
Trade Hemsky for some D help if Smid leaves. X could be a prospect from our pool if we can't find a decent UFA / RFA. Don't know if you give Jones another shot to recover a bit or not. Maybe for cheap.

I wonder if we could get Horcoff to buyout and resign for cheap to free up capspace that could be useful to sign Gagner with. I am against trading him, I think it would be foolish.

Glad I'm not a GM lol.

Against CBA.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:18 PM
dem

We should be lining up to get Bobby Ryan if he's made available. Exactly what this team needs.

We have the pieces to get it done..

Old
03-19-2013, 01:18 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
You don't want to trade Khabby because of lack of depth....but Schultz and Hemsky are disposable?

Against CBA.
I figured, that would be logical.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:20 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
We should be lining up to get Bobby Ryan if he's made available. Exactly what this team needs.

We have the pieces to get it done..
Sounds like he isn't going anywhere. Not anytime soon anyway.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:31 PM
stoff

Quote:
I figured, that would be logical.
We could trade Horcoff for a similar salary player that another team wants to buyout and then re sign him. So kinda similar to the Vandemeer/POS trade where instead we buy out Vandemeer. I could see that happening for some other players but i'm not sure of a comparable for horcoff.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:37 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

What are the odds Whitney wants to stay here though? After the last couple seasons, I'm guessing he'd rather try and start fresh elsewhere.

In which case, may as well get whatever we can for him.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:38 PM
stoff

Anybody think we should buyout both Smyth and Belanger this summer if we can't trade them?

Smyth we could use the amnesty buyout and belanger an ordinary buyout. Belanger's cap hit for the buyout would be 920,000 next year and 400,000 the year after.

Saves us 3.2 million for next year, frees up 2 roster spots/contracts for next year and saves us one amnesty buyout for next year(Horcoff).

Old
03-19-2013, 01:40 PM
oilers89

Id like to target nick foligno at trade deadline. Can play 2nd or 3rd line. scores and adds little bit of grit also.

Foligno-Nuge-Ebs
PRV-Gagner-Yak
Hall-Horc-Hemmer
Petrell/Jones-Smyth/Belanger-Brown

then in offseason Id like to add Bryan Bickell.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:46 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
Anybody think we should buyout both Smyth and Belanger this summer if we can't trade them?

Smyth we could use the amnesty buyout and belanger an ordinary buyout. Belanger's cap hit for the buyout would be 920,000 next year and 400,000 the year after.

Saves us 3.2 million for next year, frees up 2 roster spots/contracts for next year and saves us one amnesty buyout for next year(Horcoff).

Buyout Belanger and Smyth with Amnesty, no chance Horcoff gets bought out.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Buyout Belanger and Smyth with Amnesty, no chance Horcoff gets bought out.
I'd do Smyth and Eager, and, if you can't fine a "deal", waive Belanger. Someone will take a shot on a faceoff guy.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:50 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I'd do Smyth and Eager, and, if you can't fine a "deal", waive Belanger. Someone will take a shot on a faceoff guy.
No one claimed Adam Hall, and he's basically the same player at half the cap hit.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
I agree. A healthy Whitney is still a top 4 Dman. We need more of those. Not less. A one year deal for him would be ideal IMO. Gives Klefbom a year to get back upti speed and wet his feet in the AHL, and if Whitney stays healthy for another year he will be worth a lot by next TD. And if he can't stay healthy you waive him or just let him go after next year.
That may be the case, if he rebounds. However, it is a moot point, the salary cap is going down next year, Whitney is a prime candidate/victim.

Closed Thread