HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Expansion

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 10:01 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
The KHL is not like the UEFA Champions League. The Champions Hockey League was.
I did not say it.

Quote:
But Russia has 20 teams in the KHL. Why? Because the KHL is NOT comparable to "euro soccer competitions".
Because it is based on russian RSL. Where is written that KHL will always have 20 russian teams? Why should KHL have less russian clubs TODAY? Does not make sense. If 5+ euro clubs joined NOW, It would be another story. But in status quo it does not make sense.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
If Vorky's still asking about Kurri, someone should copy/paste my post from the previous page or quote this:

About Vorky's tinfoil hat like thoughts of Kurri's visit to SKA, it might have something to do with him being GM of the national team and national team's head coach Jukka Jalonen coaching at SKA. Kurri also rarely turns down an opportunity to play any charity or old timers games. Besides, it's not like Kurri has any real power in Finnish hockey. We all know who holds the strings here.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:17 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
J17 Vs Proclamation

Are you for or against hockey competition like UEFA Champions league is in soccer?

If you are against it, so there is no discussion with you - keep domestic leagues as before. Your choice.

If you are for it, what is different from KHL? The best (economically etc) clubs play KHL (UEFA Champions league), worse play something else (UEFA Europe League). No problem for me. You can not have 12 SEL teams in european competitions, even GB has only a few teams in euro soccer competitions, not all.

Now it looks like KHL wants club or two in every important (for KHL) market, no swedish club. On the other hand there are negotiations among IIHF, ET, KHL about new model of euro competitions. We will see what happens. I can imagine cooperation ET/KHL but the same time I can imagine KHL to destroy ET. You might not like it but it is like politics, stonger side wins.. and KHL is stronger than ET. Maybe you dont know, but Fasel is pro-KHL.
Vorky, as stipulated above, i have no real opinion on the matter, since i am not informed enough on the topic or its history.

Though of course the two aren't mutually exclusive. I can be in favour of the Champions league yet want to remain domestic leagues as they are. It's not as simple as saying if you want the champions league, why not instead have KHL accross Europe. Totally different idea.

Your comparison with football fails on many levels. Firstly, their champions league has the best talent in the world. It's an entirely different beast, both in playing level and thus economics.

Secondly, a Champions league format is not the same as the KHL spanning Europe. Yes, only 4 GB teams at maximum can participate in the Champions league in any given year. Of course they must qualify for this right every year. It is not automatic, and mobility from below is possible. Tottenham and Manchester City are recent examples of new clubs joining the format. In the KHL, presuming 3 or 4 Swedish teams at a maximum join, no such mobility exists. It is a closed league. Teams outside it cannot join. This is the issue and thus why it is not remotely comparable. One is a competition technically available to all, the other is a closed league comprising of the rich and wealthy whilst the remainder is left to rot outside.

Even though sports is a capitalist model, and thus the elite tend to stay the elite, and become bigger and bigger, the wonderful thing about European domestic leagues is that relegation and promotion are possible. I like this.

Quote:
I have no idea how euro hockey club map will look like in 20+ yrs, but I am sure KHL will be a strong player on chessboard. If some country miss the train now, it will have problem to get into process in future.
I think not. Sweden and Finland are important markets for ice hockey in Europe. They are very prominent forces in European talent and have strong domestic leagues (The SEL and SM Liga are without question Top 5 leagues in Europe). Money is also there to extent, relative to poorer underdeveloped European markets. If they ignore the KHL, what other juggernaut markets will rise to prevent them from joining in the future?

Poland? Italy? Obviously not.
Croatia? Norway? Again, if large Swedish teams were join, the KHL would in an instant rather have Swedish teams.
Latvia? Belarus? Kazakhstan? Again, Frolunda comes knocking in 15 years?
Germany? Slovakia? Czech Republic?

Asia? Novel.

If and when Sweden/Finland wish to have a KHL influence, the KHL, assuming they have the same ideals (I.e concentration on tapping into the European market rather than concentrating on the domestic market), will come running very quickly.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:33 AM
hockeyamateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
Which evidence? He wrote some stuff and you take it as evidence because you agree with it? I think you shouldn't.

I disagree with what he said, I for some reason hold a grudge against Russia/KHL and therefore believes that everyone from Sweden that disagrees with me must be a Russian. Check the website he linked, you can see how prioritized KHL is, not a single news about it on the front page. How strange when there's play-off in SEL at the moment, they could have written something about KHL instead, makes no sense to me! KHL has been around forever and SEL is just something new to us Swedes.

Check Aftonbladet.se/sportbladet the biggest newspaper in Sweden, it has 0 news about KHL on the front-page, competing with the SEL play-off, world cup of skiing, play-off in Hockeyallsvenskan, and has not had one since the plane crashed. This for me indicates that Swedish media does not care, that the people does not care.

You come and say that I am wrong on this forum, and provide no evidence/links/anything. You can't expect to be taken seriously by me, because what I think is right must be right, and I need strong evidence to be proven wrong(while I might not even admit it then).
I took the liberty to correct your post from foul language and other strange parts.

It's true that there is not much news from KHL popping up in the Swedish tabloids at the moment, but you can't claim that media in Sweden doesn't write about KHL and follow our players there. I for one follow KHL from hockeysverige.se, Robert Pettersson's blog and the main news there.

They do also write about KHL in aftonbladet and expressen, but not as frequent as they write about SEL and Hockeyallsvenskan, and even NHL. But is this such a shocker? I have not even claimed anything like that. All I said was that they do write about KHL in Swedish media. To address your post that there is 0 news of KHL in Swedish media, which is false.

And yes, I am Swedish, 4th generation.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyamateur View Post
I took the liberty to correct your post from foul language and other strange parts.

It's true that there is not much news from KHL popping up in the Swedish tabloids at the moment, but you can't claim that media in Sweden doesn't write about KHL and follow our players there. I for one follow KHL from hockeysverige.se, Robert Pettersson's blog and the main news there.

They do also write about KHL in aftonbladet and expressen, but not as frequent as they write about SEL and Hockeyallsvenskan, and even NHL. But is this such a shocker? I have not even claimed anything like that. All I said was that they do write about KHL in Swedish media. To address your post that there is 0 news of KHL in Swedish media, which is false.

And yes, I am Swedish, 4th generation.
Ok, so maybe 5 small news a year. I dunno, I count that as 0 spotlight. How much have you heard of KHL since the plane crash in swedish media, if we ignore the very small section of it on hockeysverige.se?
^ I'd really like you to answer that one. We have 1 or 2 articles about NHL a week, not major ones, not ones many people care about, but they are there.

Quote:
Forget about KHL.. just simple Q, what does Swedes want? Status quo of national league without european competition? Champions League? If so, do they have money (because Russians will not support it)? Do they want Nordic league? If so, why not Nordic league and one/two clubs in KHL?
Most of hockey swedens talk right now is about expanding the league with 2-4 teams. Most people agree we could easily do it, and it's probably needed too considering we have 3 big hockey markets in the 2nd division.
People could not care less for european competition or champions league. Difference between champions league or whatever with or without russians in terms of interest is minimal.

There has been talk of a nordic division in an EU league as I've mentioned. I'd personally be cool with it, like all swedish teams face eachother twice and they face the other teams from outside of Sweden once. At least in my opinion it could work.

You keep forgetting that a single KHL club in Sweden does not work. You talk about creating new clubs, but I'll say this for the 5th time, and hopefully you'll get it this time: PEOPLE WILL NOT SUPPORT THE NEW CLUB. Hockey interested people already support clubs, and they will not switch (this is 100% guaranteed), and non-hockey interested people, they won't support it because they don't care. Supporters in Sweden are like the football supporters in England. No matter how **** your team is you'll stick with it. Loyalty to the club is important.

-
I have no beef with KHL, if they want to create something with Sweden though, they can not only bring 1 club. They have to bring at least 10. Are they prepared to expand to so many clubs in 1 go?

Old
03-19-2013, 12:11 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
You keep forgetting that a single KHL club in Sweden does not work. You talk about creating new clubs, but I'll say this for the 5th time, and hopefully you'll get it this time: PEOPLE WILL NOT SUPPORT THE NEW CLUB.
Dont worry I got you for 1st time, btw I knew if before your writing. I said KHL is not interesting in SWE club anymore. Try to read more carefully. Isolationism is short-sighted point of view, but I respect it.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Dont worry I got you for 1st time, btw I knew if before your writing. I said KHL is not interesting in SWE club anymore. Try to read more carefully. Isolationism is short-sighted point of view, but I respect it.
Wait, you're the one who asked for it, and now you write this? Good lord.
"Hey what's your favourite color?"
"Blue"
"WELL I DON'T CARE"

See how little sense you're making right now? Don't care, don't ask.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Jeez
Jay Jay

I wonder if the European division next season will become. There is a new article about Olimpia Gdaňsk budget problem, no single word about Milano Rossoblu expected joining similarly as Medvesčak Zagreb. It is a disappointment to me a bit. I am looking forward for further news around...

Old
03-19-2013, 12:55 PM
J Murda

vCash: 544
The thing that intrigues and excites me the most about the near future of the KHL is wondering what the rosters will end up looking like for new teams like Gdansk, Zagreb, and Milan. Obviously they are going to have to pretty much do an overhaul, and in these teams cases they don't have as many nationals that can compete at the KHL level as say Dinamo Riga does. They are going to have to sign players of all types of nationalities and I am very curious to see what happens.

I know Zagreb is known already for having a bunch of Canadians on the roster, but those dudes they have right now aren't going to cut it. I wonder if they will try to sign NHL free agents and career minor league players from North America, and if the KHL will garner more interest in NA if the expansion teams go in that direction. I know it's probably not a popular opinion here, but I think the KHL would be a better league if there were more Canadians in it. Having said that, I think that goes for all nationalities. It will only be a good thing for the league when people from over here start paying more attention.

The other thing I wonder about those teams is if they wont be able to assemble a competitive roster, even if it is a bunch of bush league washed up Canadians, and they end up sucking. It could throw off the balance of the league, and it couldn't be a good thing for a new, excited fan base to come watch the top clubs clean the ice with them.
Just imagine this group of hardcore fans having to watch SKA show up and kill their team 12-0. It would be sad.

This video contains a goal from center ice that is also pretty sad.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:04 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Murda View Post
The thing that intrigues and excites me the most about the near future of the KHL is wondering what the rosters will end up looking like for new teams like Gdansk, Zagreb, and Milan. Obviously they are going to have to pretty much do an overhaul, and in these teams cases they don't have as many nationals that can compete at the KHL level as say Dinamo Riga does. They are going to have to sign players of all types of nationalities and I am very curious to see what happens.

I know Zagreb is known already for having a bunch of Canadians on the roster, but those dudes they have right now aren't going to cut it. I wonder if they will try to sign NHL free agents and career minor league players from North America, and if the KHL will garner more interest in NA if the expansion teams go in that direction. I know it's probably not a popular opinion here, but I think the KHL would be a better league if there were more Canadians in it. Having said that, I think that goes for all nationalities. It will only be a good thing for the league when people from over here start paying more attention.

The other thing I wonder about those teams is if they wont be able to assemble a competitive roster, even if it is a bunch of bush league washed up Canadians, and they end up sucking. It could throw off the balance of the league, and it couldn't be a good thing for a new, excited fan base to come watch the top clubs clean the ice with them.
Just imagine this group of hardcore fans having to watch SKA show up and kill their team 12-0. It would be sad.

This video contains a goal from center ice that is also pretty sad.
I think new teams will focus more on swedish and finnish players rather than canadians,ofcourse there will be canadian and american players on rosters of these teams,but it think europeans will play much bigger role.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:27 PM
J Murda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
I think new teams will focus more on swedish and finnish players rather than canadians,ofcourse there will be canadian and american players on rosters of these teams,but it think europeans will play much bigger role.
I actually sorta think that's going to happen as well, but I am just kinda hoping it's an opportunity for more north americans to go over and make the league more popular over here.I just didn''t want to keep rambling on there. I totally understand why countries like Finland and Sweden don't want to add their teams, but at the end of the day money talks and for sure more and more guys from those leagues will flock to the KHL for better coin. I just hope more NA guys start seeing it the same way. I think it would be cool if I could watch KHL games on tv one day, and if more fringe NHL guys went over and signed for more money than they would see in the AHL, and I'm talking about the fighter types too, then maybe canadian media will take more notice, maybe show more highlights, and if were lucky, we'll get to watch the odd game in the morning.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:31 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Murda View Post
I actually sorta think that's going to happen as well, but I am just kinda hoping it's an opportunity for more north americans to go over and make the league more popular over here.I just didn''t want to keep rambling on there. I totally understand why countries like Finland and Sweden don't want to add their teams, but at the end of the day money talks and for sure more and more guys from those leagues will flock to the KHL for better coin. I just hope more NA guys start seeing it the same way. I think it would be cool if I could watch KHL games on tv one day, and if more fringe NHL guys went over and signed for more money than they would see in the AHL, and I'm talking about the fighter types too, then maybe canadian media will take more notice, maybe show more highlights, and if were lucky, we'll get to watch the odd game in the morning.
I dont know man,when KHL is mentioned in any way in lets say NHL subforums its always hatred and dislike for many Canadians and Americans or maybe i just get the wrong impression?

Old
03-19-2013, 01:51 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

In Medvescak they said in case of joining KHL, they will try to sign more european players then they used to in EBEL. NA players that they will pursuit will be only ones with croatian roots. (Drazenovic, Dekanich, Katic, Kristo).

From todays group of Canadians in Medvescak, only three players I can see as bottom six in KHL, those are Greentree, Buck, Perkovich.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:25 PM
J Murda

Quote:
I dont know man,when KHL is mentioned in any way in lets say NHL subforums its always hatred and dislike for many Canadians and Americans or maybe i just get the wrong impression?
Maybe some of them had grandpas that fed them all types of cold war crap growing up. To me, a KHL contract seems a little better than riding the bus in the american league.Especially for a smaller player who thrives on big ice and a less physical setting.Maybe I'm weird. No one really pays attention to the KHL here though yet, though, but I have hopes that could change. Clearly it will be a Russian dominated league for a time to come, but the newer teams have the opportunity to be multinational and make it a true global league, and maybe the mentality will change around here if more and more guys like Nigel Dawes and Justin Hodgeman and even more Gillies' and Mirastys go over. Don't get me wrong though, I am also exited to see these teams signing players from the Euro leagues too and hopefully we will start seeing players showing up on rosters from less traditional hockey countries. What Im trying too say is I'm stoked about where the KHL is going, and I think a lot of Canadians have the wrong idea about it. Having said that, I've never been to Russia or Europe for that matter yet, but to me this league just screams opportunity.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:48 PM
metmag

Quote:
I think HFboard subforums give you the wrong impression. KHL gets decent coverage in NA, expecially when it comes to Canadian related things. Its not a negative view with the average Canadian fan at all, just lack of information. Obviously there are Don Cherry types, but what people say on these boards is not representative of anything. I havent heard a negative thing yet from any major Canadian analyst about the KHL.(guys like McKenzie, Dreger etc.)
The KHL has its own ecosystem and people respect that for the most part. There are no hard feelings, and when guys like Giroux sign with KHL teams people understand. Its nice to see hockey expand as a sport in general.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:18 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by metmag View Post
I think HFboard subforums give you the wrong impression. KHL gets decent coverage in NA, expecially when it comes to Canadian related things. Its not a negative view with the average Canadian fan at all, just lack of information. Obviously there are Don Cherry types, but what people say on these boards is not representative of anything. I havent heard a negative thing yet from any major Canadian analyst about the KHL.(guys like McKenzie, Dreger etc.)
The KHL has its own ecosystem and people respect that for the most part. There are no hard feelings, and when guys like Giroux sign with KHL teams people understand. Its nice to see hockey expand as a sport in general.
Don't forget kieth jones (secret enemy to Russian players) and Healy who said "this is what the KHL does do you want to send your guys to that country for the olympics? " -referring to the fighting ref incident

Old
03-19-2013, 05:20 PM
runeeres
Seasons in the Abyss

Stavanger Oilers from Norway have been asked by the KHL if they're interested in joining. They are.

http://www.tv2.no/sport/ishockey/khl...r-4010501.html

It's in Norwegian, but Google Translate is your friend.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Vicente

I still hope for Stavanger and Medvescak to join. If this doesn't happen it's also no problem.

I guess we won't see a team from the euro zone in the next 10+ years. Our economy and currency is so *****ed up...

Old
03-19-2013, 06:10 PM
ult

About Oilers - http://www.sovsport.ru/blogs/blog/bmessage-item/8304

Quote:
Ваш корреспондент позвонил Шалаеву: так что, мы поедем в город Ставангер в следующем сезоне?

- Меня неправильно цитируют! Ничего подобного я не говорил! – оскорбился вице-президент. – Нет от норвежцев ничего. Вообще. Знать ничего не знаю. И официальную проверку «Ставангер Ойлерз» мы не планируем.

- От каких команд вы получили официальные письма на вступление в КХЛ?

- Польский клуб «Гданьск». А в перспективе – хорватский «Медвешчак». К нам 25 марта приезжают представители этого клуба. И мы даже не подозреваем, какие у них намерения.

- Еще ходят разговоры о «Милане»…

- Не знаю. Вообще эти вопросы лучше задавать президенту КХЛ Александру Медведеву и его помощнику Илье Кочеврину, от которых зависит международное геопланирование нашей лиги.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:29 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by metmag View Post
I listen to major sports radio stations in Toronto on my drive to work and some of the stuff they blabber about khl is very borderline and certainly offensive. KHL is the principal bad guy for NHL.
Not only are these "journalists" clueless, they are also offensive.

There have been talks from amongst local Russian amateur teams to complain about some of the stereotypical remarks that these journalists find funny time and again.

Anyway it's really nothing new

Old
03-20-2013, 02:40 AM
yunost

These Toronto radio guys your talking about are old and stubborn hardliners like Bob McCown who are employed by the same people that pay Don Cherry. Of-Course there is no evading the fact these old fashioned personalities exist but this is definitely not the popular opinion of average Canadian hockey fans, and even some of the most popular/respected TSN guys. I find the overwhelming majority of coverage to be neutral.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Vicente

From inside information of one of the clubs I heared only 2 teams will be added for next season and this should be Medvescak and Milan who are both already working on KHL rosters. Not sure how good my source is but as its one of the guys working in the administration of one of the two clubs...

Old
03-24-2013, 02:29 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Few days ago I have been told by one of the journalists which follows Medvescak that some of the club members booked plane tickets and hotel rooms in Moscow for end of this month. Reportedly, by begining of April they will start final negotiations with KHL and final decision whether Medvescak will join or not will be made.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:36 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
Few days ago I have been told by one of the journalists which follows Medvescak that some of the club members booked plane tickets and hotel rooms in Moscow for end of this month. Reportedly, by begining of April they will start final negotiations with KHL and final decision whether Medvescak will join or not will be made.
yes, they have a meeting with KHL´s leadership at 25th. They are in Moscow a few days, negotiating with MHL (slovenian club). Seems Ernest Aljančič is member of delegation.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:39 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
yes, they have a meeting with KHL´s leadership at 25th. They are in Moscow a few days, negotiating with MHL (slovenian club). Seems Ernest Aljančič is member of delegation.
He may be memeber of delegation for slovenian club in MHL, but he has nothing do to with Medvescak. And hopefully he will stay from Medvescak as far as possible.

And please, if you find out any info about meeting please share it. Thanks!

Closed Thread