HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anything Goes 7: RIP Roger Ebert

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 01:18 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Just spent $1300 in a single sitting.

Never been so nervous and stoked in my life, as that's by far the biggest purchase I've ever made.

That being said, replacing my 5-year old laptop with a gaming-quality laptop with extended warranty is going to be damn awesome. Pumped!

Old
03-19-2013, 01:57 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Just spent $1300 in a single sitting.

Never been so nervous and stoked in my life, as that's by far the biggest purchase I've ever made.

That being said, replacing my 5-year old laptop with a gaming-quality laptop with extended warranty is going to be damn awesome. Pumped!
That's a lot of dough, good luck. My history with laptops is that the more expensive they've been, the harder they've failed.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:11 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
I don't have the slightest interest in computers or know a damn thing about them at all, also not a Mac fanboy by any means at all... but ever HP, Dell, or IBM laptop I've had for work or personal use, I've never gotten more than a decent year out of it. I've have two Mac laptops, one lasted a solid 5 years. The other is 3 and still going strong. The one I had for 5 could have definitely kept going, I just really wanted a Mac Air so upgraded myself and gave my sister my old MacBook... which I think she broke within a week slamming it in her car door, somehow on accident. Sometimes I don't even ask for an explanation, that was one of those times.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
I don't have the slightest interest in computers or know a damn thing about them at all, also not a Mac fanboy by any means at all... but ever HP, Dell, or IBM laptop I've had for work or personal use, I've never gotten more than a decent year out of it. I've have two Mac laptops, one lasted a solid 5 years. The other is 3 and still going strong. The one I had for 5 could have definitely kept going, I just really wanted a Mac Air so upgraded myself and gave my sister my old MacBook... which I think she broke within a week slamming it in her car door, somehow on accident. Sometimes I don't even ask for an explanation, that was one of those times.
I refuse to buy Apple products.

Everyone else can enjoy their Starbucks and their Apple crap and have a nice day.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:18 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Yeah, I've only had a couple laptops, both Toshiba's, one really old one I bought used for writing when I was in high school, thing still keeps going but is no longer being used. The other I just bought about 5 months ago for a little under $400, which really was a steal IMO. I've really only known people with Macs and Toshibas. Mac is the highest performing computer and fairly durable. I look at them as more for design though, like graphic arts and stuff. I only want my computer to run word, the internet, play movies and some low level games. Toshibas are the tanks of the laptop world, last forever with no problems. I saw one fall off a desk in college and it was fine.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Cullksinikers

My HP is solid. My old one was a Gateway and declined in quality/production after three years or so.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:09 PM
RayP

Had an HP once. Dished about about $950 for it. Lasted less than 8 months before becoming completely useless.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:34 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
My ASUS is amazing. Absolutely no complaints at $800.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:35 PM
Hawkey39

Going to college next year for photography and I don't think I'll have a laptop til at least sophomore year.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:37 PM
RayP

Can you even get into college without signing a waiver that you will, and always will, have a laptop?

Old
03-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Hawkey39

Ya. I'm not sure if that was a joke or what.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:54 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
I was a powerbook man back in the day. Had a G3 for a year then a G4 for two years. The G3's hard disk crashed almost the day after I purchased the G4 and almost two years to the day of owning the G4, it just ****ing died on me. I wasn't a mac fanboy so much as the main software used to for writing audio programs at the time was mostly OS stuff. A lot of my friends have had similar experienced with the death of their mac laptops.

Then, strapped for cash I went with an Hp. Ah, I remember soldering a penny to the motherboard to keep the graphics processor functional, good times. That was a short lived experiment and a year later I got a bonus check and picked up a higher end Sony VAIO. Aside from cosmetic issues it was fairly solid for two years but was stolen when my apartment was robbed last year, so I never got the chance to see what was left in her tank. Now I have a used thinkpad t410s with a little blemish in the screen I got $300 bucks, so far I love it and..so far, it's my favorite laptop by a decent margin.

Computers are really about as predictable as cars. The problem with windows users is the general public refuses to learn a ****ing thing about how to not be an idiot with their machine and the PC companies THRIVE on that, in fact promote it with their pre-installed bull**** and certain obsolescing parts. Consumers click on every email and internet link, download all that free sofware that contains cute little adware, and the worst are the blowhards like my stepdad who just lay into the system settings to "fix" that dern thing when a photo takes more than a second to load. After a year of usage people will **** things up so bad that they're off to the store to buy a new computer, or even worse, take it to the "geek squad."

Actually, I had an argument with my girlfriend a few month's back when she decided to buy a Lenovo because her friend/co-worker who's "a doctor" said they were the best. I told her the only reason to go Lenovo is for the thinkpad, but no, she followed the advice of her "smart" friend and bought an awful consumer grade one for $900. First, it had battery connectivity issues, then it had some crazy issue where the system was operating at about 1/4 of it's normal speed and was sent back. Now, the hinges for the screen are both broken and she has to sit there holding the screen up!!

I am a bit repulsed these days by the droves of mac users under the impression their experience on facebook is different than that of anyone else. I died a little inside when an ex of mine announced she was going to giver her toshiba to her sister and get a macbook air, this announcement coincided with her being accepted to Vanderbilt for her PHD. The macs true benefit is in the nature of it's streamlined hardware to software to external hardware experience. More plug and play, less troubleshooting, and other users of the same machine aren't going mess up your ****. But, that really isn't an issue anymore. If people want to pay and extra grand because they think the mac is pretty and comes with built-in idiot proofing, by all means, luxury goods are what they are.

As a rule of thumb I tend to think that goods which are produced for business use are going to be more durable than regular consumer goods.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Hawkey39

Macs are great for the creative things like graphic design and photography.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:06 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey39 View Post
Macs are great for the creative things like graphic design and photography.
Old wives tale, those days are gone.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:31 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
That's a lot of dough, good luck. My history with laptops is that the more expensive they've been, the harder they've failed.
I had bad luck with my first two laptops, the first only lasting a year and the second lasting two years (and getting screwed both times with my family deciding to go the cheap route and not getting warranties), but my third's been a solid workhorse for five years now.

Also why I got a full warranty for three years for the machine. Figured that if I'm spending over a grand on a machine, might as well spend $150 to get a warranty on it just in case it only lasts a year or two.

And I got a Lenovo. Specifically this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad...2969417&sr=1-6

Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor (2.4 GHz)
12 GB DDR3 RAM
1 TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive, 16 GB Solid-State Drive

Old
03-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
I had bad luck with my first two laptops, the first only lasting a year and the second lasting two years, but my third's been a solid workhorse for five years now.

Also why I got a full warranty for three years for the machine. Figured that if I'm spending over a grand on a machine, might as well spend $150 to get a warranty on it just in case it only lasts a year or two.

12 GB DDR3 RAM
You'll be just fine.

In terms of laptops, I only trust Apple and Lenovo.

Samsung is growing on me slowly ever since I got a Chromebook. It's 90% of what I need on a computer with 10% of the hassle.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:56 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
I had bad luck with my first two laptops, the first only lasting a year and the second lasting two years (and getting screwed both times with my family deciding to go the cheap route and not getting warranties), but my third's been a solid workhorse for five years now.

12 GB DDR3 RAM
That looks slick, reminds me of my VAIO, one of the biggest things I miss is the numeric keypad if I'm entering #'s.

My GF got this: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-4334EAU.../dp/B0082PT6VO
and it's been a headache for her so far. It's heavy, awkward and has been sent back once with likely another trip coming up.

I have this: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPa...s=lenovo+t410s
but bought it used with cosmetic defects off of ebay for $300

Old
03-19-2013, 05:18 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
I'm so sick of my Macbook, only because my chargers keep melting. Literally, they get too hot and the wire melts. Bout to have to by my 4th one in the last year. ****!

Old
03-19-2013, 05:29 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

I always stick to building a desktop.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:39 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Nerds

Old
03-19-2013, 06:44 PM
Hawkey39

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
I'm so sick of my Macbook, only because my chargers keep melting. Literally, they get too hot and the wire melts. Bout to have to by my 4th one in the last year. ****!
I'll take it.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:33 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Seriously? Mine will get a little warm, the computer itself that is, not sure if the cord does... but between the handful that the woman and I have had over the last 5 years, I've never noticed the cord getting abnormally weird on any of them. Google'd out of curiosity, and found this....

http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/10/cla...e-power-cords/

Old
03-20-2013, 09:54 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

So far a decently slow looking day at the office. Hope it gets here sooner rather than later do I can you around with it before I head back home.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:03 AM
RayP

Haven't even been here an hour and already looking forward to getting out, before I punch my boss in the face.

First thing I hear from him when I walk in is him *****ing about an email he saw from a prospective customer... who emailed twice last night, *****ing about how she hadn't received a response. She emailed and called 5 times last night, all between 11-11:45PM last night. You want to turn this into a 24 hour hotline, you answer the ****ing cell phone line and the emails, but I don't get paid beyond 5PM M-F, so you can go **** yourself or give me a nice pay raise if you want me answering calls when I'm not in the office.

Anyways, that's my rant for the morning. With this hangover, definitely was not in the mood to hear that first thing. Oh, not to mention he called at 10:02, wasn't by the phone, called him back at 10:04. Started *****ing again about not answering the phone... Christ dude, can I not take a dump while I'm not at work or you want my to answer the phone while I'm taking a dump and let the customers hear that? Get some ****ing perspective man...

Ok, now I'm done.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

Quote:
Haven't even been here an hour and already looking forward to getting out, before I punch my boss in the face.

First thing I hear from him when I walk in is him *****ing about an email he saw from a prospective customer... who emailed twice last night, *****ing about how she hadn't received a response. She emailed and called 5 times last night, all between 11-11:45PM last night. You want to turn this into a 24 hour hotline, you answer the ****ing cell phone line and the emails, but I don't get paid beyond 5PM M-F, so you can go **** yourself or give me a nice pay raise if you want me answering calls when I'm not in the office.

Anyways, that's my rant for the morning. With this hangover, definitely was not in the mood to hear that first thing. Oh, not to mention he called at 10:02, wasn't by the phone, called him back at 10:04. Started *****ing again about not answering the phone... Christ dude, can I not take a dump while I'm not at work or you want my to answer the phone while I'm taking a dump and let the customers hear that? Get some ****ing perspective man...

Ok, now I'm done.
You need a new job bro.

Closed Thread