HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames and Sens looking at Read

Old
03-19-2013, 02:37 PM
SpezDispenser

vCash: 500
There is literally zero chance you get Cowen for Read. If that's the price, he can stick it where the sun don't shine.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Hale The Villain

Bishop + Gryba/Borowiecki would be a great trade for both teams

I'm a fan of Read, would love him in a Sens jersey

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGore View Post
I suggested a Read trade with Ottawa, and as to be expected got the cold shoulder. Nobody wants any of the Sens players in trades.

Read for Bishop and Gryba/Boroweicki or similar was where I was leaning.
Me too...brought Read up earlier this year. He would be a good young option for our team and Bishop or one of our defencemen would make the trade a good one for both sides IMO.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post

I am not interested in either of Gryba or Borowiecki. Bishop interests me but not at the price of Read.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:46 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I am not interested in either of Gryba or Borowiecki. Bishop interests me but not at the price of Read.
Bishop + Gryba/Borowiecki is good value for Read. He's a good player, but he's only one year into the league and while 50 points is nice he's on a lower pace this year with one of the more talented offenses in the league.

I think people just undervalue goalies.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Yeah, I don't really get it. Those guys don't seem much better than Manning.

I also agree that Cowen is an unreasonable ask.

This is a weird rumor.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:

That's not a terrible deal but I think it would Bishop + wiercioch. Flyers need offensive defensemen not defensive defensemen. I would prefer Ceci straightup but don't think Ottawa would want to part with him.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:50 PM
seafoam

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Don't really see Read as an upgrade on Stajan. Rather have a pick.
Isn't Read a winger and Stajan a center?

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Gryba is a rookie who is holding down a roster spot and excelling right now. Borowiecki is a similar player, but with less talent but more of a mean streak. Both could develop into great bottom pairing guys with a chance to make the leap to the top 4.

They aren't as valuable as Read, but they are good young dmen.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Bishop + Gryba/Borowiecki is good value for Read. He's a good player, but he's only one year into the league and while 50 points is nice he's on a lower pace this year with one of the more talented offenses in the league.

He missed time with a rib injury, came back early, and is obviously not playing at 100%.

In case you missed it (from Friedman's 30 thoughts):

"Boy, do teams love what Matt Read is doing right now, coming back to help the Flyers even though he is clearly in pain. Talk about gaining respect. "

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:

Well, he's on a 48 point pace, adjusted for an 82 game season, in an injury-riddled season in which the team is awful. So while he hasn't progressed in terms of his offensive production, I wouldn't say he's taken a step back either.

Wiercioch would be better, but even he's just sort of...underwhelming.... for Read. [EDIT: I guess I just value Read more highly than Ottawa fans.]

I don't get the rumor, honestly. Briere to OTT makes sense (assuming he'd waive), but the Flyers really have no reason to move Read this season. He's under contract again for cheap.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 03-19-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old
03-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:

Gryba/Borowiecki do not make up the difference between Read and Bishop though. Goalies are the hardest players to figure out potential. This trade is basically Bishop for Read, since Gryba and Boro wouldn't be an improvement to what we already have.

Read is still injured also. He is playing with torn rib cartilage. Every time he shoots he has pain. Bishop probably has some move value for what he was moved last deadline(2nd rounder) but not too much more.

With the Flyers having such a bad year, I would rather hold onto the pick and Read instead of getting Bishop with them.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Kritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
How do you spend $29+ million without having a #1 defenseman.
And the bashing of Bouwmeester continues. Even funnier because it's from people that probably have seen zero of him in actual game action.

So someone that plays nearly 25:00 a game in all situations and puts up a 40ish point pace isn't a #1? What do you call a #1? Bouwmeester is absolutely a #1. Put him in a market like New York, Boston, or Toronto and he would get the press he deserves. He is been solid in his own and end and has brought back his offence now that he has a coach that will actually let him use his speed and offensive instincts. Just look at where he was last night when he scored. He would never had that chance under Sutter.

Kritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:58 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
Agreed. Read for what he brings alone is worth more than Bishop. Plus his cap hit next season is 950K. Not sure what else I'd want but Gryba and Borowiecki dont jump at out me

DrHamburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Hale The Villain

Quote:
I think Bishop is a good starting point, but neither of those defensive prospects seem that appealing. Wiercioch would be better, but even he's just sort of...underwhelming.
Wiercioch is a 6'4 fast skating OFD with 11P in 25GP as a rookie on a low scoring team.

How exactly is he underwhelming?

Old
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty View Post
And the bashing of Bouwmeester continues. Even funnier because it's from people that probably have seen zero of him in actual game action.

So someone that plays nearly 25:00 a game in all situations and puts up a 40ish point pace isn't a #1? What do you call a #1? Bouwmeester is absolutely a #1. Put him in a market like New York, Boston, or Toronto and he would get the press he deserves. He is been solid in his own and end and has brought back his offence now that he has a coach that will actually let him use his speed and offensive instincts. Just look at where he was last night when he scored. He would never had that chance under Sutter.
It wasn't intended as a knock on Bouwmeester. I think he's an excellent #2. I've also never thought Timonen was a true #1 during his time with the Flyers--which most Flyers fans would take issue with. At least I'm consistent.

And, to be fair, while Bouwmeester is currently on such a pace, he hasn't topped 30 points since, when, 2008-2009?

Old
03-19-2013, 02:59 PM
BankStreetParade

Bishop for Read straight up is probably the best value. Both are worth roughly a B-level prospect and second round pick.

BankStreetParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:59 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Gryba/Borowiecki do not make up the difference between Read and Bishop though. Goalies are the hardest players to figure out potential. This trade is basically Bishop for Read, since Gryba and Boro wouldn't be an improvement to what we already have.

Read is still injured also. He is playing with torn rib cartilage. Every time he shoots he has pain. Bishop probably has some move value for what he was moved last deadline(2nd rounder) but not too much more.

With the Flyers having such a bad year, I would rather hold onto the pick and Read instead of getting Bishop with them.
How could Gryba possibly not interest you? Not watching the Sens I assume?

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Wiercioch is a 6'4 fast skating OFD with 11P in 25GP as a rookie on a low scoring team.

I am interested in Wiercioch. Extremely interested in him. He has impressed me when watching the Sens games. The move and score on Price not too long ago was pretty damn nice. Although price probably wants that back. He has top 4 potential but needs to develop. Although Bishop+Wiercioch seems like good value to me, I just don't think this is a move Homer is looking to make.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:

See, that's the thing. I was impressed with him when I saw him, but the scouting reports all seem fairly cautious in their projections of his ceiling. Anyway, I should have been more clear. That return is underwhelming for Read, who plays in all game situations, can play all three forward positions, and puts up a .5 PPG+ pace on a 900k contract.

For Briere? Done and done.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 03-19-2013 at 03:36 PM. Reason: typo.
Old
03-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
Most i would do is Bishop alone. Wouldn't trade Wiercioch or Cowen str8 up for Read.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:

Wiercioch is a number of things, big huge frame, cannon shot, fantastic poise and great hockey sense, great passer but "fast skating" is not one of the things id say about him. smooth maybe fast? not yet.
great rookie year and development has been exactly what the sens have hoped for - when the rest of the 15-20 lbs stays on that frame he will be a very dangerous all around defenceman
Im not particularly interested in moving him for anything other than part of a package for a reeaaally good player. i like Read but he's not that player.

Wiercioch is going to be a fantastic defenceman.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Psuhockey

Quote:
I am interested in Wiercioch. Extremely interested in him. He has impressed me when watching the Sens games. The move and score on Price not too long ago was pretty damn nice. Although price probably wants that back. He has top 4 potential but needs to develop. Although Bishop+Wiercioch seems like good value to me, I just don't think this is a move Homer is looking to make.
Agree it is good value, but i could see the Flyers holding out for more too. If the Flyers are selling Matt Read at the deadline, he might very well be the most attractive player to all playoffs teams because of his cap hit this year and low hit next year when the cap goes down. 20 goal scorers with a year left on there contract under 1 million dollars who play in all situations would have a ton a value at the deadline for any playoff team.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
How could Gryba possibly not interest you? Not watching the Sens I assume?
I actually have watched several Ottawa games this year and Gryba isn't really what we need. He seems more like a shut down defender, which we already have Coburn, Grossmann, and Schenn. We need more puck moving offensive potential d men like Weircioch.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Some Other Flame

Quote:
It wasn't intended as a knock on Bouwmeester. I think he's an excellent #2. I've also never thought Timonen was a true #1 during his time with the Flyers--which most Flyers fans would take issue with. At least I'm consistent.

And, to be fair, while Bouwmeester is currently on such a pace, he hasn't topped 30 points since, when, 2008-2009?
Hard to pin that on Bouwmeester. He was misused under Brent Sutter; wasn't allowed to pinch and rush the puck up the ice, which it turns out, is one of his biggest strengths.

The Bouwmeester of this year is a better version of the Bouwmeester in Florida, albeit the improvement is mostly due age related growth and experience. Frankly, I'd suggest throwing out his offensive totals under Sutter, since they don't accurately portray what Bouwmeester's does.

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote