HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposal Thread Vol. 8: The North Remembers

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
And what would Philly add to those guys to make it worth out while?
If you traded Habby and didn't have a backup? Umm, probably not much?

Old
03-19-2013, 01:53 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
What are the odds Whitney wants to stay here though? After the last couple seasons, I'm guessing he'd rather try and start fresh elsewhere.

In which case, may as well get whatever we can for him.
Gregor mentioned last week that Whitney seems like he wants to stay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
No one claimed Adam Hall, and he's basically the same player at half the cap hit.
Hall was claimed by Carolina.
Quote:
Anybody think we should buyout both Smyth and Belanger this summer if we can't trade them?

Smyth we could use the amnesty buyout and belanger an ordinary buyout. Belanger's cap hit for the buyout would be 920,000 next year and 400,000 the year after.

Saves us 3.2 million for next year, frees up 2 roster spots/contracts for next year and saves us one amnesty buyout for next year(Horcoff).
Wouldn't be against it, but we need to make sure we have replacements, not Lander and Pitlick.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:54 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Hall was claimed by Carolina.
I stand corrected.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:56 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
If you traded Habby and didn't have a backup? Umm, probably not much?
I honestly don't care with Bulin because he's career is pretty much done. Even if he is here odds are he ends up on the IR at some point again.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:00 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers89 View Post
Id like to target nick foligno at trade deadline. Can play 2nd or 3rd line. scores and adds little bit of grit also.

Foligno-Nuge-Ebs
PRV-Gagner-Yak
Hall-Horc-Hemmer
Petrell/Jones-Smyth/Belanger-Brown

then in offseason Id like to add Bryan Bickell.
Something has to go to get him...Hemsky+ most likely. I am not against that; however, appropriate adjustments need to be made.

Hall - Horc - Eberle
PRV - Gag - Yak
Foligno - RNH - Cheechoo
Petrell - Belanger - Brown

I want Oilers to attempt to keep 3 scoring lines. I really like how it looks for us. I know Cheechoo is a risk but he'd be a cheap one.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Koto

Quote:
We could trade Horcoff for a similar salary player that another team wants to buyout and then re sign him. So kinda similar to the Vandemeer/POS trade where instead we buy out Vandemeer. I could see that happening for some other players but i'm not sure of a comparable for horcoff.
Against CBA, must posses the contract before lockout in order to Amnesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers89 View Post
Id like to target nick foligno at trade deadline. Can play 2nd or 3rd line. scores and adds little bit of grit also.

Foligno-Nuge-Ebs
PRV-Gagner-Yak
Hall-Horc-Hemmer
Petrell/Jones-Smyth/Belanger-Brown

then in offseason Id like to add Bryan Bickell.
Would be a nice pickup, but would be very expensive, more than Hemsky expensive.

I don't see it.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:04 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
What are the odds Whitney wants to stay here though? After the last couple seasons, I'm guessing he'd rather try and start fresh elsewhere.

In which case, may as well get whatever we can for him.
I don't see Whitney wanting to resign here either, especially if it means a significant paycut. His cap is only $4M but his salary is $5.5M this year. I doubt he gets a raise anywhere, unless his game really improves.

I agree, get what we can for him.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Dangerdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
I don't see Whitney wanting to resign here either, especially if it means a significant paycut. His cap is only $4M but his salary is $5.5M this year. I doubt he gets a raise anywhere, unless his game really improves.

I agree, get what we can for him.
I don't agree. From what I've seen from Whitney and what he's said, I think he would prefer to stay here with the growing team and actually win some games. He gets along well with the group and I think he's enjoyed watching the team grow. He seems to be very disappointed to have been traded from Pittsburgh right before they got good, and I don't think he wants the same thing to happen twice.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:08 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
Against CBA, must posses the contract before lockout in order to Amnesty.

Would be a nice pickup, but would be very expensive, more than Hemsky expensive.

I don't see it.
Is this true? I never heard that before.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:16 PM
oilers89

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Something has to go to get him...Hemsky+ most likely. I am not against that; however, appropriate adjustments need to be made.

Hall - Horc - Eberle
PRV - Gag - Yak
Foligno - RNH - Cheechoo

I want Oilers to attempt to keep 3 scoring lines. I really like how it looks for us. I know Cheechoo is a risk but he'd be a cheap one.
Ya wasn't sure what to give up but if it it's hem sky +. Which I'd do I'd rather try and have a 3rd line that could be used as shutdown n chip in with little offense.

Foligno nuge eb
Hall gag yak
Prv horc jones
Petrel Belanger brown

Old
03-19-2013, 02:21 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_Gretzky View Post
I don't agree. From what I've seen from Whitney and what he's said, I think he would prefer to stay here with the growing team and actually win some games. He gets along well with the group and I think he's enjoyed watching the team grow. He seems to be very disappointed to have been traded from Pittsburgh right before they got good, and I don't think he wants the same thing to happen twice.
i agree with you, Whitney is a team guy and the way the media portrayed him after his being benched comments was unjust. he really hadnt played in over a year and for the first time was healthy, just needed to shake some rust off. I think we are going to find alot of vets wanting to stick around here for the future, i would even bet that horc takes whatever salary the oilers offer to stick around.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:27 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i agree with you, Whitney is a team guy and the way the media portrayed him after his being benched comments was unjust. he really hadnt played in over a year and for the first time was healthy, just needed to shake some rust off. I think we are going to find alot of vets wanting to stick around here for the future, i would even bet that horc takes whatever salary the oilers offer to stick around.
I do question if he would've had as much rust if he made an effort to play during the lockout. That's the one thing that gets me, he knows that he struggles from long layoffs, so why not go overseas to be in some what game shape?

But we all really know why he didn't go overseas.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Coincidence maybe???

Old
03-19-2013, 02:40 PM
stoff

Quote:
Is this true? I never heard that before.
I've looked for confirmation on this and in the summary of terms ( http://nbcprohockeytalk.files.wordpr...an-12-2013.pdf ) it doesn't mention it, saying compliance will follow ordinary course buyouts but count against the players share and not count against the cap.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:54 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
How much of discount would Whitney take to stay with this up and coming team? I think he wants to stay with this team if he is paid and played like a top pairing dman.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:00 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
How much of discount would Whitney take to stay with this up and coming team? I think he wants to stay with this team if he is paid and played like a top pairing dman.
Does he really?

Old
03-19-2013, 03:05 PM
stoff

Quote:
You're saying he would stay here if he was paid 5 million? No crap he would.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:06 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

It's hard to give Whitney a contract since consistency has really been his downfall.

During his time here he's played like a potential Norris candidate, a complete liability and now, lately, a serviceable mid pairing defenceman. I'm torn on what to do but I'm leaning towards offering him a short contract unless they feel that there is an upgrade to be found through trade or free agency.

He's better than what we have on the farm besides maybe eventually Klefbom.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:07 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post

Hall - Horc - Eberle
PRV - Gag - Yak
Foligno - RNH - Cheechoo

Go to plan B, Cheechoo is never gonna happen, he's not an NHL player anymore.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:08 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
I do question if he would've had as much rust if he made an effort to play during the lockout. That's the one thing that gets me, he knows that he struggles from long layoffs, so why not go overseas to be in some what game shape?

But we all really know why he didn't go overseas.
my best guess would be that he hadnt tested the new ankle out and didnt want to risk getting injured playing for peanuts. thats my best guess and at his age and his fragiliness (is that a word) i dont blame him really.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:10 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Does he really?
Quote:
You're saying he would stay here if he was paid 5 million? No crap he would.
To my question, how much is he worth a year? How much of a decrease will he stay for?

Old
03-19-2013, 03:10 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
It's hard to give Whitney a contract since consistency has really been his downfall.

During his time here he's played like a potential Norris candidate, a complete liability and now, lately, a serviceable mid pairing defenceman. I'm torn on what to do but I'm leaning towards offering him a short contract unless they feel that there is an upgrade to be found through trade or free agency.

He's better than what we have on the farm besides maybe eventually Klefbom.
The thing with keeping him as a mid pairing dman is where does the d corps improve then?

Smid - Petry
Whitney - Schultz
Schultz - Fistric/Potter/Peckham

We need to improve this group and to do that you have to move out players. Next year ideally we don't have Whitney, Peckham, or Potter and we replace them with BETTER players.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:14 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
To my question, how much is he worth a year? How much of a decrease will he stay for?
Like I said earlier I give him 2mil and that's it, take it or leave it. Unless he sticks around an plays lights out then maybe i bump it to 3mil. But it's one year deals. He made it sound like he wanted to be here so show it.

I just can't see many teams giving him much more, not with the cap going down.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:15 PM
ponokanocker

For those suggesting dealing Whitney for a pick at the deadline, you are essentially telling the rest of your team that you are not trying for the playoffs this year. Unless you are trading other assets for another D immediately after the trade, you are sending a very poor message to your team.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83 View Post
Typical ignorant NHL fan comment.

Ask Canes fans about who their most complete forward is. They will say Semin. Many put his defensive game and impact at a near Jordan Staal level.

He's the defensive conscious on that line with Staal and Tlusty, and had been an NHL best at plus/minus over the last 3-5 seasons. You're just talking out of your ****** because you look at his nationality and not how he plays.
Your posts reek of pure ignorance. Calling me ignorant and racist is exactly what?

I will contest to the tenth degree that Eric or Jordan are much more complete players. I have watched him prior to this year. Interesting you simply look at his plus/minus as a direct reflection of his in your eyes seem selke caliber. Not too mention that you only reference The fans that have watched him for 20+ games versus Caps fans who learned his tendencies over the part of several seasons. That's purely laughable. I'm sure you could argue that ovechkin was also a complete player that didn't ride offensive strengths primarily with some of his plus/minus' in the past hey. Imagine Semin at centre? Not likely. In my opinion that would require far too much responsibility. And no it's not because he's Russian, last I checked Datsyuk is from the same country.

Parade your NHL fanboy love for Semin all you wish, just keep his playing style relevant. Hossa, really?

I'm not going off saying he is a liability but comparing his defensive play to actual selke candidates is bizarre to say the least. If he was as complete as you seem to suggest why doesn't he contribute to the PK more frequently. Simply because its not his game. His work ethic or will is questionable at times as has been his back-checking which ironically can be used as a direct correlation here. Much the same as your cherry picked stat from this past season. In the same sense he can be effective defensively when he wants to be. He's a dangerous defender with his skill, speed and ability to pick the play. Consistency or his physicality are slightly questionable.

If you're going to make racist implications I suggest you do some research first. History will say I have a habit of defending Russians not persecuting them for their national stereotype.

Last edited by Grod: 03-19-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Closed Thread