HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 06:22 PM
thedavid

vCash: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I think Button's list found on TSN is pretty good. Found here: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

It doesn't seem to have players wildly out of the spots where they should go. Maybe Lazar is a bit late, but on the whole, he seems to do better than ISS here.

Funny thing about ISS mid-season rankings: Gaunce was 7th and 11th overall within them. Goes to show how much the list can actually diverge from what the scouts think.
To be fair, if Forsberg, Grigorenko and Teravainen hadn't all slipped I could have seen someone taking Gaunce a bit sooner. That 1st round was all over the place, even in hindsight some of those picks still puzzle me.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:07 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedavid View Post
To be fair, if Forsberg, Grigorenko and Teravainen hadn't all slipped I could have seen someone taking Gaunce a bit sooner. That 1st round was all over the place, even in hindsight some of those picks still puzzle me.
I think buffalo and Dallas probably had Gaunce up their lists too. They just slightly preferred Girgensons and Faksa a little more.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:53 AM
thefeebster

I think that book that Gaunce took part in said the teams that showed him the most interest were CHI, BOS, BUF, and DAL. He attended private camps with the 1st 3 teams listed. His dad in their post draft interview said they were surprised Vancouver took Gaunce as it didn't seem like they were that interested.

I wonder if we do private sessions. Haven't heard a thing about it.

----------

What are your thoughts on Dillon Heatherington? Would you take him in the 2nd if available?

Old
03-16-2013, 12:57 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I think that book that Gaunce took part in said the teams that showed him the most interest were CHI, BOS, BUF, and DAL. He attended private camps with the 1st 3 teams listed. His dad in their post draft interview said they were surprised Vancouver took Gaunce as it didn't seem like they were that interested.

I wonder if we do private sessions. Haven't heard a thing about it.
It does seem like the forwards that fell really affected where Gaunce went. Dallas, Buffalo and Chicago all took either the falling guy (Teravainen, Grigorenko) or a guy comparable to Gaunce (Faksa, Girgensons).

Old
03-16-2013, 02:05 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Once again I like Ian McChosen.

Andre Burakovsky has risen and Mantha has fallen (I still think Mantha will go higher than Burakovsky though) But those are two others guys we should have on our radar aswell as Zykov.

Although if Domi is somehow available at our pick he would be the guy to take aswell.

Stay away from Petan though. Atleast with our 1st.

Old
03-16-2013, 03:11 AM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Petan has an absolutely insane number of points for someone projected to be a late first rounder.

Whoever gets him might have a massive steal on their hands. I'd totally grab him if we could nab an extra first.

Old
03-16-2013, 03:41 AM
Trelane

Doubt they’ll take another Schroeder type so soon, not with a 1st anyway.

I also like Button’s lists. Looking at his most recent, other than Fucale who’ll likely go later, I think we can safely discount 1-12. After that anyone can conceivably fall to us. Prospects’ playoffs will scramble further, sounds like it did the last time. Speculating on MG’s state of mind some more, I can’t picture him going with anyone under 5’11” or with a Russian passport with that 1st.

Pure skill, hockey IQ, and drive should be the traits emphasized and in that order, IMO.

Old
03-16-2013, 03:51 AM
Towel-Power
GoCanucksGo

This draft has so many good options. I'd be crushed if we traded our 1st this year at the deadline.

Old
03-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towel-Power View Post
This draft has so many good options. I'd be crushed if we traded our 1st this year at the deadline.
The only way I'm parting with the first is if it's with Schneider for someone like Couturier and another pick.

If Gillis gives it up for someone like Ott or Roy I'm gonna be livid. This draft is too stacked for that. If anything we should look to dangle Raymond for a 1st while his value is high. We need prospects in the worst way and Raymond is gonna walk either way at the end of the year.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:02 AM
ZenMaster*

I don't mind if we don't succeed in this half season, I would love to get a high pick in such a good draft.

I hope we're in range for Mantha or Gauthier.

Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce, and Mantha/Gauthier would be a solid group of prospects that all possess size and skill.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:04 AM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
I don't mind if we don't succeed in this half season, I would love to get a high pick in such a good draft.

I hope we're in range for Mantha or Gauthier.

Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce, and Mantha/Gauthier would be a solid group of prospects that all possess size and skill.
Screw that I want barkov. Third line beast mode with Hansen next year.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:49 AM
arsmaster

String a couple more losses together, and we should be thinking long and hard about moving non-core parts for picks.

What better year to do it that a shortened season (lots of buyers) with a deep draft.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:53 PM
SiCKNESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
String a couple more losses together, and we should be thinking long and hard about moving non-core parts for picks.

What better year to do it that a shortened season (lots of buyers) with a deep draft.
I agree..
Raymond = Late 1st - 2nd
Higgins = 2nd
Ballard = 3rd
Lappy = 3rd

Old
03-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

But there are also advocates for sending out the 1st for 2Cs. Tough call. Pro scouting will be at the forefront this deadline, more than others.

I hope Gillis retains his 1st. This is not the time to be dealing it. Not when it could be in 'teens by the end of the season .

Old
03-19-2013, 01:27 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
But there are also advocates for sending out the 1st for 2Cs. Tough call. Pro scouting will be at the forefront this deadline, more than others.

I hope Gillis retains his 1st. This is not the time to be dealing it. Not when it could be in 'teens by the end of the season .
Our scouting in general blows.

I'm not sure I trust one member of this organization's eye for talent, whether that's at the pro scouting level, amateur scouting or even the GM.

I've grown incredibly frustrated with this team, the roster, the coaches, the players.

At least with picks you can have optimism, keeping these same guys around just causes more of the same complacency.

This is a draft, where having 10-14 picks could transform your entire franchise if you trust the people making the decisions.

I'm not sure I do, but at least with picks I can't be skeptical until after the draft.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:46 PM
iamtherunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Petan has an absolutely insane number of points for someone projected to be a late first rounder.

Whoever gets him might have a massive steal on their hands. I'd totally grab him if we could nab an extra first.
He could be a steal but part of the reason for his points is that he plays with Leipsic and Rattie, that line has been ridiculously good this year, along with the Winterhawks team as a whole.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Our scouting in general blows.

I'm not sure I trust one member of this organization's eye for talent, whether that's at the pro scouting level, amateur scouting or even the GM.

I've grown incredibly frustrated with this team, the roster, the coaches, the players.

At least with picks you can have optimism, keeping these same guys around just causes more of the same complacency.

This is a draft, where having 10-14 picks could transform your entire franchise if you trust the people making the decisions.

I'm not sure I do, but at least with picks I can't be skeptical until after the draft.

I trust Gillis' eye for talent. The losing may make that tough to take, but he's got it. That's why I have liked his 1st round picks, and why I want him to retain this years pick no matter what. Will he though? With all the pressure to make a move? That's a tough test coming up for him.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtherunner View Post
He could be a steal but part of the reason for his points is that he plays with Leipsic and Rattie, that line has been ridiculously good this year, along with the Winterhawks team as a whole.
He's still the best player on that line.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Trelane

We are a .500 (nowadays.560) team this year and would have been half of last year too if not for goaltending heroics. Goal differential confirms it. Middling teams have no business trading away picks, particularly when their top 3 scorers will be around 33 next year.

Moreover, we are at a crossroads with this trade deadline. I really hope MG doesn’t gut our future by trading picks/youngsters for vets on account of pie-in-the-sky dream of a deep run. A misstep here could see us become like Calgary. Apparently 2 years ago some advanced stats agency had them missing the playoffs for the next 4 years, even assuming a quick rebuild. They did the opposite, kept adding vets, and are now staring at permanent playoff purgatory.

Time to use that alleged eye for talent and make the obscenely budgeted scouting stuff earn its keep.

Anyway, Lazar, Mantha, Gauthier, or someone else?

Skill: Mantha -- Lazar -- Gauthier?
Drive (will to do whatever it takes): Lazar -- Gauthier -------- Mantha?
Hockey IQ: ? -- ? -- ?
Skating: ? -- ? -- ?

Old
03-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelane View Post
Anyway, Lazar, Mantha, Gauthier, or someone else?

Skill: Mantha -- Lazar -- Gauthier?
Drive (will to do whatever it takes): Lazar -- Gauthier -------- Mantha?
Hockey IQ: ? -- ? -- ?
Skating: ? -- ? -- ?
Only interested in Lazar out of that bunch. Otherwise, I'm also interested in Max Domi and Valentin Zykov.

Mantha is a guy I could live with if we had another pick in the 1st and we picked him in the bottom 5.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:18 PM
okSourdough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Couldn't agree more. The one game I watched in Kelowna, Petan was dominant. The best player on the ice in my opinion. Think he is going mid to late 1st rd. Too much talent to ignore despite his size. Compete level is very high.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Only interested in Lazar out of that bunch. Otherwise, I'm also interested in Max Domi and Valentin Zykov.

Mantha is a guy I could live with if we had another pick in the 1st and we picked him in the bottom 5.
You don't think Mantha deserves to be picked even in the top-25 of this draft?

Old
03-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
You don't think Mantha deserves to be picked even in the top-25 of this draft?
Not by a team like the Canucks that can't afford to have him bust, which I think there's a pretty high chance of.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:03 PM
iamtherunner

Quote:
I've seen a couple Winterhawks games live this year and I would have to disagree. Leipsic makes so much happen on that line, he's very shifty, a great playmaker, puck seems like it's glued to his stick some games. Rattie is an elite scorer at the WHL level, he finds all the holes in defences and has a lethal one time (not the hardest I've seen but very accurate).

I'm not a scout but Petan didn't stick out as much for me.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:33 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Mantha might be good for cbus.

Last edited by me2: 03-20-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Closed Thread