HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

We Need a Goalie

Old
03-11-2013, 06:18 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangconv View Post
No idea to tell the truth. But the answer isn't to give 3.5 million to Dubnykamd call him a #1 cause now he makes that money.

We pissed away 3 years of hall and eberle, and if next year blows them there goes RNH and Schultz's elc too. We are going to have to trade some of our players due to cap issues without having left the basement.
It's all part of Steve's masterful plan.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:40 PM
OilerNut*

vCash: 500
I much rather deal with our other issues first. It's been proven that you don't need a top 5 goalie to win the cup or to do well in a cap league.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:07 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I much rather deal with our other issues first. It's been proven that you don't need a top 5 goalie to win the cup or to do well in a cap league.
You don't need a top 5 goalies but you need a goalie that gets hot going through the playoffs, and actually gets you into them. Something I'm not sure Dubnyk can do.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:59 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Management
Big 2nd line lw, top 4 (preferably top pair) d-man, bottom six guys who actually care and play effective hockey...all more of an issue than goaltending.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:01 PM
jmoss45

Can't express how happy I am Khabi is done after this year. He's ALWAYS hurt and management has shown a reluctance to get a backup who can play.

Hopefully this summer this will force their hand.

jmoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Quinteoilers

Mike Smith, create a 1A 1B situation. I have read that Smith likes the Coyotes, but has had enough of the ownership situation. Pay him as much as Dudnyk makes.

Quinteoilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:18 AM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
We are pretty much done with our goaltending, we are at par with our last cup run. Tambellini has succeded.

Khabby - roloson
Dubnyk - mike Morrison/Ty Conklin
Yann danis - jussi markkanen

gqmixmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:46 AM
Oil Gauge

I actually have thought that Dubnyk has been a lot better at not letting the 1 soft goal a game in this season. Obviously the one in Nashville was terrible, but that can happen to any goalie, using that as an example of why he isn't going to be a #1 is ridiculous. I didn't get to watch much of the CHI game so I'm not sure what happened there. Other than that he has given the Oilers a chance to win on most nights, even stole a few games for them. That's pretty impressive considering how anemic their offense has been this season.

The guy has all the tools to be a #1 and has been getting more consistent as he gets more experience. It is way too early to give up on him.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:58 AM
gqmixmaster

I think he needs to change his butterfly stance, he always too much room blocker side above his pad. His angles need improving too. He is not good enough just yet and for the sake if the team we need an actual backup that is also a backup plan. I suggest a deal surrounding smid and bernier? Smid would do well in LA and Bernier could have his chance to prove himself in edm. If both him an duby look good, you can always trade one away.

gqmixmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:36 AM
stangconv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
I actually have thought that Dubnyk has been a lot better at not letting the 1 soft goal a game in this season. Obviously the one in Nashville was terrible, but that can happen to any goalie, using that as an example of why he isn't going to be a #1 is ridiculous. I didn't get to watch much of the CHI game so I'm not sure what happened there. Other than that he has given the Oilers a chance to win on most nights, even stole a few games for them. That's pretty impressive considering how anemic their offense has been this season.

The guy has all the tools to be a #1 and has been getting more consistent as he gets more experience. It is way too early to give up on him.
Ideally you're right. It would be too early to give up on him. But ideally he'd be getting paid 1 million playing behind a true starter. They just gave him the reins and then gave him Nikolai mcgroin, so there isn even any help.

stangconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Ideally you're right. It would be too early to give up on him. But ideally he'd be getting paid 1 million playing behind a true starter. They just gave him the reins and then gave him Nikolai mcgroin, so there isn even any help.
I dunno, I think he's paid his dues and sat on the bench more than enough, he needs to play to get better at this level. No better time than now.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Billybaroo*

Ahh, way off the mark. Heard today that since 2010/11 season that Dubnyk has about the same s% as Backstrom & Fleury.
Pretty clear to most who watch, him & Snowpants are developing real well & are keepers for he future.

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:31 PM
bombers15

Dubnyk is not the problem.

bombers15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:36 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Saw this on Twitter
Quote:
Originally Posted by @DanTencer
NW Division goalies ranked by SV%: Dubnyk (.919), Backstrom (.915), Schneider (.910), Varlamov (.907), Luongo (.904) and Kiprusoff (.876).
Definitely hard to argue Dubnyk is the problem with our team

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Saw this on Twitter

He is far from THE problem, but he is A problem unless he finds some consistency in his game.

He's incredibly hot and cold. He needs to find a way to limit the cold.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:44 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Saw this on Twitter

All the while playing behind a gimpy Whitney, a struggling N. Schultz, Potter, a rookie J Schultz, a struggling Smid and Petry most nights as well as a sprinkling of Peckham and Fistric.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:45 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
He is far from THE problem, but he is A problem unless he finds some consistency in his game.

I wouldn't say he has a problem being hot and cold. I think Devan makes some saves that he really shouldn't be making and lets in some goals that he should be saving (sometimes).

So stats wise it balances out (hence his SV%) but the bad goals are pretty deflating to a team..

We need to keep in mind that he is in his first full season as a starter and his development has been going up year after year.

I think he will be the teams #1 goaltender for years to come if he keeps improving his game every year like he has been.

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:46 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:

He has been incredibly consistent since he was given the reigns last spring.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Harley

Id be all for giving our lesser 2nd round pick (or Belanger if we can get them on a night of heavy drinking and merriment) for Bishop. He shows promise and we need a capable backup for next year. If he grows enough to unseat Dubnyk for the number one it will be a pick well spent. Even if he is only a decent backup I think the price is fair.

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:50 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I wouldn't say he has a problem being hot and cold. I think Devan makes some saves that he really shouldn't be making and lets in some goals that he should be saving (sometimes).

So stats wise it balances out (hence his SV%) but the bad goals are pretty deflating to a team..

We need to keep in mind that he is in his first full season as a starter and his development has been going up year after year.

I think he will be the teams #1 goaltender for years to come if he keeps improving his game every year like he has been.
Yep be is still developing. Reminds me of JS Giguere's development a bit.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
He has been incredibly consistent since he was given the reigns last spring.
He's been more consistent, but far from incredibly.

He started this season red hot, then hit a cold patch slightly prior to and during the road trip, and now it looks like he might get hot again. If he has a bad game it has to be a one off, because when he struggles he tends to do it for stretches.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:54 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:

He started this season red hot, then hit a cold patch slightly prior to and during the road trip, and now it looks like he might get hot again. If he has a bad game it has to be a one off, because when he struggles he tends to do it for stretches.
What's a realistic sv% expectation for a goalie in his first season as the #1. From what you say you seem to expect him to be near flawless for almost every game.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:03 PM
joestevens29

Quote:

I don't know looking back at his numbers he had a 3 stretch period where he had bad numbers.

I think people try focus on the negative way too much. Watch other teams play their goalies are letting similar goals in that Dubey does, outside of the odd center ice blooper.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
What's a realistic sv% expectation for a goalie in his first season as the #1. From what you say you seem to expect him to be near flawless for almost every game.
I don't just look at numbers like save %.

I don't expect him to be perfect, but he can't go on 5-10 game stretches where he's terrible if he wants to be a legitimate #1.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:05 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I don't just look at numbers like save %.

I don't expect him to be perfect, but he can't go on 5-10 game stretches where he's terrible if he wants to be a legitimate #1.
5-10 games? Show me on here where he had 5-10 terrible games in a row.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...22013&view=log

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote