HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers at Canucks 1997/1998 season

Old
03-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Petey Pucks

vCash: 500
Rangers at Canucks 1997/1998 season

Thought some here might like to watch this game. This is from the 1997/1998 season. It's the first time after Messier left the Rangers he met them at home in Vancouver in the beginning of the season. His return to the garden wouldn't come until a few months later on. Thought you guys might like to see this to see how the game has changed...or for Gretzky playing a superb game...or Messier and Bure together at Vancouver...enjoy

couldn't find the messier return game to the garden...will try though

p.s... mods can someone embed the game for me if it doesn't work...not too savy with youtube embedding

Last edited by Jabroni: 03-19-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Petey Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
most fasinating part of that is Al on the PBP

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Giacomin

Brings back a lot of memories. That whole situation was a mess by both sides!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Kershaw

25:10, Bure to Messier.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

The very beginning of some truly awful hockey for the next several years

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Petey Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
most fasinating part of that is Al on the PBP
I guess maybe for you but I would think espn classic thought differently? ...you were born in 1989....you were 8 years old at the start of the season so what did you care of that team at the time? right?...still shouldn't be an excuse not to care about how your team was back then.....

For fans that are older there is plenty to reminisce about and compare then to now...even younger fans should watch older Ranger games from the time they were too young to be fans...plenty to learn....especially about your team

I became of fan when i was old enough to care...you think I haven't watched significant reg season games from before then...eddie giacomin returns to garden for one?....watch...learn

Old
03-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey Pucks View Post
I guess maybe for you but I would think espn classic thought differently? ...you were born in 1989....you were 8 years old at the start of the season so what did you care of that team at the time? right?...still shouldn't be an excuse not to care about how your team was back then.....

For fans that are older there is plenty to reminisce about and compare then to now...even younger fans should watch older Ranger games from the time they were too young to be fans...plenty to learn....especially about your team

I became of fan when i was old enough to care...you think I haven't watched significant reg season games from before then...eddie giacomin returns to garden for one?....watch...learn
What? I wasn't trying to knock the vid. I got into the Rangers during the 96-97 season so I was upset when Mess left I do remember that..I did enjoy watching this.. and I probably did watch the game when it happened but don't really remember.

I actually LOVE watching games from the late 90s early 2000s because those were the teams I grew up on despite how bad they were.

and Seriously, why was Al doing the PBP?

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Megustaelhockey
Hybrid icing

If only I knew when I watched that game how bad the Rangers would be for years to come.

Megustaelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Petey Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
What? I wasn't trying to knock the vid. I got into the Rangers during the 96-97 season so I was upset when Mess left I do remember that..I did enjoy watching this.. and I probably did watch the game when it happened but don't really remember.

I actually LOVE watching games from the late 90s early 2000s because those were the teams I grew up on despite how bad they were.

and Seriously, why was Al doing the PBP?
all apologies then...thought you were trying to be a bit of a wise ass

I believe Al was on the PBP because Sam Rosen didn't make the road trip and they needed him as the main PBP guy...JD was always 2nd on the PBP....even when Sam couldn't be there

Last edited by Petey Pucks: 03-19-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old
03-19-2013, 08:01 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

I was at this game.What a roadtrip..Stayed at the Four Seasons in Van...What an awesome City with great people...It was great to have money back then to do fun things..Not anymore.Sigh

Quote:
Thought some here might like to watch this game. This is from the 1997/1998 season. It's the first time after Messier left the Rangers he met them at home in Vancouver in the beginning of the season. His return to the garden wouldn't come until a few months later on. Thought you guys might like to see this to see how the game has changed...or for Gretzky playing a superb game...or Messier and Bure together at Vancouver...enjoy

couldn't find the messier return game to the garden...will try though

p.s... mods can someone embed the game for me if it doesn't work...not too savy with youtube embedding

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:18 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
all apologies then...thought you were trying to be a bit of a wise ass

I believe Al was on the PBP because Sam Rosen didn't make the road trip and they needed him as the main PBP guy...JD was always 2nd on the PBP....even when Sam couldn't be there
Game was a saturday night, iirc and sam was doing football and usually didn't call any saturday night/sunday games during football season.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:57 PM
CheeseDogs

that was my first ever rangers game i went too. i was one happy kid to see gretzky get the hatty

CheeseDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:29 AM
PromNite
Cloud Strife

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Gretzky's 95th career 5 point game.

I dare someone to tell me he is not the best hockey player to play the game.

That's just insanity.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 05:17 AM
pld459666

The only thing I remember or care about from this game was Gretzky giving Messier a Big F-U with the Hat Trick.

Still bothers me that Messier ran off for the money.

In that regards, F Messier.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Petey Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
The only thing I remember or care about from this game was Gretzky giving Messier a Big F-U with the Hat Trick.

Still bothers me that Messier ran off for the money.

In that regards, F Messier.
messier "claimed" it wasn't about the money and more a matter of principle and lack of respect from the rangers organization in what they were offering. messier in the season before(1996/1997) in 71 games played scored 36 goals 48 assists for a total of 84 points in 71 games with a + 12

messier held the position that he should have been offered what other players of his calibre were being offered and that after everything he had done for the organization the rangers offer was a slap in the face

Dave Checketts believed Messier at his age wasn't worth a 20 million 3 year contract. Messier maintained that he would have signed a one-year contract extension for under $6 million per season, though many believe this is false and Messier was only saying this to keep fan sentiment on his side. Also remember this is the pre low salary cap era(1997) where the Rangers had the money to burn with no fear of the consequences. Alot of fans were saying "pay the man" but after the two sides were getting more and more bitter Neil Smith was content with having Gretzky and Pat LaFontaine as our top two centermen. Smith also thought the Joe Sakic deal was in the bag until the Avs came up with more money and that fell through

Messier later signed to a high-priced free agent contract with the Nucks so you be the judge?

I still say he left us....

Shanahan at the age of 37 was coming off a great year with the Red Wings with 40 goals and 81 points....he was content with signing a one year 4 million deal almost ten years later with inflation to take into consideration?