HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Managers Meeting Focus

Old
03-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 500
General Managers Meeting Focus

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...0828--nhl.html

When the NHL’s general managers meet this week in Toronto, they’ll engage in a discussion of what works and what needs fixing. Which is to say, a discussion of what you can fix and what might just be engrained, systemic problems in this gloriously violent sport of ours.

Some of it will focus on the boards surrounding the ice: Points of impact that can severely injure a player, in a broken bones or paralysis way, depending on the force being delivered by an opponent or the awkward way that player crashes into them.

03-18-2013, 08:51 PM
LAIslanderFan

Here's my rule changes:
- Get rid of the stupid trapezoid and let the goalie play the puck
- The goalie becomes fair game when he leaves the crease, meaning he can be checked.
- Make the goalie wear pads closer to 1970's size eqiupment.
- No shootout. If the score is tied in regulation, the teams play a 10 minute OT 4 on 4.
After that, it's a tie.
- Limit the size of the logos on the ice. The Islanders used to have a small Islander logo on the center faceoff circle on one side and a small NVMC logo on the other side. Now every team has a giant logo at mid ice and the puck gets lost in it, as well as some of the players. I hate the additonal Stanley Cup logos they put on the ice during the playoffs. The more white ice, the easier it is to follow the action.
Watch games from the 70's and the ice seems gigantic. I know players are bigger, but having illustrations all over the ice makes it look cramped and it's harder to follow the play.
- Get rid of the instigator penalty.
- Go back to home whites.
- When they go back to the 82 game season, try and have more home and home series for teams close geographically (the intensity is always increased when teams play each other back to back.
- Condense the 82 games, so the season starts in the beginning of October and the Stanley Cup finals complete by Memorial day. I love hockey, but by June my interest definitely is waning.

That's all I can think of for now.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:53 PM
smheilbron

and fix the silly point system to a 3-2-1-0 system. instead of some games being worth 3 and some 2.

smheilbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:18 PM
GusTheo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smheilbron View Post
and fix the silly point system to a 3-2-1-0 system. instead of some games being worth 3 and some 2.
This!

GusTheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:26 PM
KyleBailey12

Quote:
So much this, along with trapezoid elimination and no touch icing implemented.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:43 PM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

vCash: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
Here's my rule changes:
- Get rid of the stupid trapezoid and let the goalie play the puck
- The goalie becomes fair game when he leaves the crease, meaning he can be checked.
- Make the goalie wear pads closer to 1970's size eqiupment.
- No shootout. If the score is tied in regulation, the teams play a 10 minute OT 4 on 4.
After that, it's a tie.
- Limit the size of the logos on the ice. The Islanders used to have a small Islander logo on the center faceoff circle on one side and a small NVMC logo on the other side. Now every team has a giant logo at mid ice and the puck gets lost in it, as well as some of the players. I hate the additonal Stanley Cup logos they put on the ice during the playoffs. The more white ice, the easier it is to follow the action.
Watch games from the 70's and the ice seems gigantic. I know players are bigger, but having illustrations all over the ice makes it look cramped and it's harder to follow the play.
- Get rid of the instigator penalty.
- Go back to home whites.
- When they go back to the 82 game season, try and have more home and home series for teams close geographically (the intensity is always increased when teams play each other back to back.
- Condense the 82 games, so the season starts in the beginning of October and the Stanley Cup finals complete by Memorial day. I love hockey, but by June my interest definitely is waning.

That's all I can think of for now.
Agree with all, except the condensed schedule. Maybe a bit more then usual but not like this year.. In a full season a lot more injuries would occur. I say condense a little and drop season to 80 games especially if players will be playing longer OTs. One thing I really want changed is something needs to be done with penalties being taken at the end of OT because players know they will get away with it being there's only a few seconds left. In OT or regulation (in a non tied game) penaltys should have to be played out for the full 2 minutes or 4 etc.. or until penalty is negated by the team with the PP scoring a goal or the team with the PP takes a penalty. If the same team continues to take penalties then the game does not end until all penalties have expired. Example : 3-2 Rangers 10 seconds remain in 3rd period Nash pulls down Tavares and Islanders score a minute later the game stops and then goes to OT. IF Nash pulls down Tavares then 30 seconds later Richards takes a Penalty and then we score before Nash's penalty expires and richards is still in the box and we score again then Islanders win game over ( That would be so sweet by the way!). Same goes for OT except first goal would obviously end the game. But it needs to be fair both ways also I feel all penalties should be played out until teams are back at even strength unless the only penalty was taken by the team losing and time expires then the team on the PP just wins as they normally would with todays rules

Last edited by NYI JT91: 03-19-2013 at 12:09 AM.
NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:06 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI JT91 View Post
Agree with all, except the condensed schedule. Maybe a bit more then usual but not like this year.. In a full season a lot more injuries would occur. I say condense a little and drop season to 80 games especially if players will be playing longer OTs. One thing I really want changed is something needs to be done with penalties being taken at the end of OT because players know they will get away with it being there's only a few seconds left. In OT or regulation (in a non tied game) penaltys should have to be played out for the full 2 minutes or 4 etc.. or until penalty is negated by the team with the PP scoring a goal or the team with the PP takes a penalty. If the same team continues to take penalties then the game does not end until all penalties have expired. Example : 3-2 Rangers 10 seconds remain in 3rd period Nash pulls down Tavares and Islanders score a minute later the game stops and then goes to OT. IF Nash pulls down Tavares then 30 seconds later Richards takes a Penalty and then we score before Nash's penalty expires and richards is still in the box and we score again then Islanders win game over ( That would be so sweet by the way!). Same goes for OT except first goal would obviously end the game. Now I said if team with PP takes penalty then game or OT would stop obviously in the 3rd period the game would stop and everything would carry to OT like usual but if the same situation happens at the end of OT instead of the game ending because the penalties was each other out I believe the team that takes the negating penalty should then also have to wait until their penalty expires ( Or else otherwise we could run into the same problem we tried to fix in the first place)
YES! I've had this idea for over 5 years now. The game cannot end when the team in the lead is shorthanded. I'm sure I've said this on this board in the past just don't feel like hunting it down. It's ridiculous how many liberties players take with seconds left and no repercussions. You can't foul a guy in basketball if you are up by one point because the foul shots are giving them a chance to win the game. You shouldn't be able to hog tie a player either with 2 seconds left. It's an EASY fix! A little bit of logistics to figure out but it needs to happen!

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:20 AM
DanNYI2191

I bet taking away the trapezoid will result in a lot less of dangerous boarding plays, as the goalies will be playing the puck before the two players chasing the puck even get there.

DanNYI2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:38 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
YES! I've had this idea for over 5 years now. The game cannot end when the team in the lead is shorthanded. I'm sure I've said this on this board in the past just don't feel like hunting it down. It's ridiculous how many liberties players take with seconds left and no repercussions. You can't foul a guy in basketball if you are up by one point because the foul shots are giving them a chance to win the game. You shouldn't be able to hog tie a player either with 2 seconds left. It's an EASY fix! A little bit of logistics to figure out but it needs to happen!
So no dirty play in hockey? You don't think the refs would engineer outcomes to give, say, the Pens a chance to benefit from a farcical rule like that?

Someone plays dirty, the clock moves, hopefully the refs rule on it bt if not, it's hockey.

So we're up 3-2 against the Rag$. Nash dives and gets a penalty at 19:40 and the Rag$ have 20 seconds to tie......or 2:00 to tie in your realm. Sounds great. Think about it. A smart coach has his players goading and diving, whatever it takes to claw back, correct?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:42 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
This again.....no.

2 to win, 1 to tie and nothing, NOTHING if you lose, OT or not. It worked for a century, but the minds behind laser pucks on TV decided to make loser points. Now we dilute the playoffs.

LA, your ideas are gospel to traditional fans, save for the condensed schedule.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:05 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
So no dirty play in hockey? You don't think the refs would engineer outcomes to give, say, the Pens a chance to benefit from a farcical rule like that?

Someone plays dirty, the clock moves, hopefully the refs rule on it bt if not, it's hockey.

So we're up 3-2 against the Rag$. Nash dives and gets a penalty at 19:40 and the Rag$ have 20 seconds to tie......or 2:00 to tie in your realm. Sounds great. Think about it. A smart coach has his players goading and diving, whatever it takes to claw back, correct?
Um lol first off calls go both ways, you win some you lose some. Your missing the point.. It's about principal and doing what's right and not allowing cheap scapegoat penalties just because.. It's the refs job to distinguish whats diving or an actual penalty, which no one can control but them. What the NHL can control is rules. So you'd be okay with (hypothetically) say 6 years from now game 7 of the SC finals JT has an open net with seconds left down a goal and him being dragged down and the player taking a minor but now you have say 3 seconds of PP.. I'm sure you'd be okay with that after the game ?

The point of a penalty is to punish a player for something he was not suppose to do a 3 second penalty does not reward the opportunity to make up for what should off been a sure goal, the lack of punishment just doesn't fit..it's total BS. Sports need integrity or you lose all point in the game or you not watching the better team win your watching the cheaters and teams best taking advantage of loopholes win.

Football has it right... If time runs out during a play but a player takes a penalty the penalty gets fully enforced and the down gets replayed. Full punishment is served, As it should be in hockey. You have a right to your opinion but I want to see the best team win not the best manipulators win.

Last edited by NYI JT91: 03-19-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Old
03-19-2013, 10:48 AM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
This again.....no.

2 to win, 1 to tie and nothing, NOTHING if you lose, OT or not. It worked for a century, but the minds behind laser pucks on TV decided to make loser points. Now we dilute the playoffs.

LA, your ideas are gospel to traditional fans, save for the condensed schedule.
It wouldn't be that radical. The NHL would probably have to end the regular season 2 weeks earlier then usual. That would mean squeezing in 7 or 8 games during the previous 6 months, October to March. The schedule wouldn't be as condensed as much as the current lockout schedule.

I just think the NHL loses steam by the time June roles around. More back to back, home at home games would certainly help.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Hipster Doofus

The OT thing in regulation sucks. If the SO is gere to stay, eliminate 4 on 4 OT. Regulation win is 2points, games decided in shootout are 1point, and losses of all kinds are 0. Im also in favor of ties being bought back, but thats distasteful to Americans who need a winner and loser.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Lose the instigator! Let the players police themselves. I promise the Cooke's, Kaleta's and the Ott's of the world will think twice before doing something stupid.

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:31 PM
bigd

I like the entertainment value of the shootout but I don't think it should determine the outcome of a game. I think we should just go to 10min 4 on 4 overtime then if no one scores it ends in a tie. We can still go to a shootout but only use the shootout outcomes as The first tie breaker at the end of the season. In the event teams are tied in points at the end of the season the team with the most shootout wins gets the top seeding. I don't like the 3 point games. Also leave the trapazoid as a protection area for the goalie. If he strays from that trapiziod then he's fair game, not to be checked but at least a player will be allowed to battle the goalie for the puck. Too many guys getting hammered behind the goal line when the goalie could be making that play.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:50 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
How about if they have the shootout BEFORE the 5 minute OT.

I never heard that suggested before, but as I think about all the ramifications I like every single one of them.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:40 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Make goalie pads bigger

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:01 PM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
Make goalie pads bigger
They are big enough.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Isles72

do these gm meetings ever accomplish anything

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Dan-o16

- I'm all for a 3-2-1 point system.
- I'm for making certain penalties full-two minute penalties: (i) high-sticking, (ii) elbowing, (iii) charging, (iv) boarding, and (v) roughing.
- Goalies should never be fair game. I'm actually coming to the belief that the trapezoid works pretty well.
- Delay of game should be limited to pucks shot off the ice or out of a goalies glove once he has control of the puck.

I have a little bit of a conservative streak. I'd like to see smaller pads for players *and* goalies. I'd also like to see a return to wooden sticks.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:53 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI JT91 View Post
Um lol first off calls go both ways, you win some you lose some. Your missing the point.. It's about principal and doing what's right and not allowing cheap scapegoat penalties just because.. It's the refs job to distinguish whats diving or an actual penalty, which no one can control but them. What the NHL can control is rules. So you'd be okay with (hypothetically) say 6 years from now game 7 of the SC finals JT has an open net with seconds left down a goal and him being dragged down and the player taking a minor but now you have say 3 seconds of PP.. I'm sure you'd be okay with that after the game ?

The point of a penalty is to punish a player for something he was not suppose to do a 3 second penalty does not reward the opportunity to make up for what should off been a sure goal, the lack of punishment just doesn't fit..it's total BS. Sports need integrity or you lose all point in the game or you not watching the better team win your watching the cheaters and teams best taking advantage of loopholes win.

Football has it right... If time runs out during a play but a player takes a penalty the penalty gets fully enforced and the down gets replayed. Full punishment is served, As it should be in hockey. You have a right to your opinion but I want to see the best team win not the best manipulators win.
It's hockey. You do what it takes to win. If we're defending the one goal lead and Crosby has a quick break with three seconds left.....and KNOWING THE NEW RULES dives when Hamonic taps him.....you just lost the series because of the latest great rule.

I can't agree on this. It's bogus, even if we might benefit.....though I'll remind you we lose more than win with the new rules given our relationship with refs and so on.

If Tavares draws a penalty at 19:57, we didn't play hard enough the previous 59:57. The game was played fairly and welfare rules are not needed to remedy the downtrodden who are losing.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:05 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
- I'm all for a 3-2-1 point system.
- I'm for making certain penalties full-two minute penalties: (i) high-sticking, (ii) elbowing, (iii) charging, (iv) boarding, and (v) roughing.
- Goalies should never be fair game. I'm actually coming to the belief that the trapezoid works pretty well.
- Delay of game should be limited to pucks shot off the ice or out of a goalies glove once he has control of the puck.

I have a little bit of a conservative streak. I'd like to see smaller pads for players *and* goalies. I'd also like to see a return to wooden sticks.
curious whether you feel the wooden sticks is linked to smaller equipment?

Some believe that the lighter sticks give players an advantage (since most wrist shots are almost as fast as slap-shots were with the wood sticks) and it's unfair for goalies who now need bigger equipment.

But I don't think bigger goalie equipment means more protection, they are not related at all. I'd like to see the pads not as wide, possibly shorter, the shoulder pads and arm pads smaller - but I don't see why the sticks should go back to wood. Why do you feel that way?

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:35 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
But I don't think bigger goalie equipment means more protection, they are not related at all. I'd like to see the pads not as wide, possibly shorter, the shoulder pads and arm pads smaller - but I don't see why the sticks should go back to wood. Why do you feel that way?
I was thinking more about shot velocity in relation to skater's pads. I agree pads should be smaller with goalies. But I think the players running around like tanks blocking shots and running into the boards without caution is a huge problem.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:56 PM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

Quote:
It's hockey. You do what it takes to win. If we're defending the one goal lead and Crosby has a quick break with three seconds left.....and KNOWING THE NEW RULES dives when Hamonic taps him.....you just lost the series because of the latest great rule.

I can't agree on this. It's bogus, even if we might benefit.....though I'll remind you we lose more than win with the new rules given our relationship with refs and so on.

If Tavares draws a penalty at 19:57, we didn't play hard enough the previous 59:57. The game was played fairly and welfare rules are not needed to remedy the downtrodden who are losing.
Maybe it's just the military experience in me but I believe in integrity and doing what's right and being fully punished when you do wrong to learn your lesson. Guess we will just have to agree to disagree. 3 seconds of penalty time for a 2 minute minor just seems dumb to me. So ( hypothetical ) when JT gets purposely high sticked hard out of desperation and the player being a gutless coward and JT is sitting there bleeding and doesn't get the shot off and the game just ends...lol That may be the day I walk away from the NHL if no rule changes are made.. And that would be hard for me but I believe like I said in integrity and punishment going hand in hand like it should.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:20 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Any chance they get rid of the shoot out?

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote