HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Sergei Fedorov vs. Pavel Datsyuk

View Poll Results: Who's better?
Pavel Datsyuk 10 15.38%
Sergei Fedorov 55 84.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone

vCash: 500
Sergei Fedorov vs. Pavel Datsyuk

Who was a better player in their prime?

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:49 PM
BamBamCam*

Second son of Joseph and Mary, brother to Hey Zeus

St Sergei Moses Fedorov

AINEC..........

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Syckle78

Fedorov.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:10 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
I hope you don't participate in any of the projects around here. When you continue to make comments like this it's hard to take anything associated with your seriously.

It's starting to look a lot like the main boards around here recently . It's a shame for people that take the board seriously.

Just saying..

I would have a serious discussion except all I see out of the same few Wing fans are "Fedorov", "Yzerman" and such and such "year" Wings teams as being the greatest on any given topic or thread around here. Tell me how much that takes the board down as opposed to little ol' me? Alot!!! , when you can't have a conversation w/o it spiraling into a talk fest of one of those 3 things. And I am not the only one noticing everything is becoming Fedorov Yzerman or Red Wings either.

I will however stop my little flippant remarks about it though for sake of conversation, let's just hope it stops on the other end too.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post
I would have a serious discussion except all I see out of the same few Wing fans are "Fedorov", "Yzerman" and such and such "year" Wings teams as being the greatest on any given topic or thread around here. Tell me how much that takes the board down as opposed to little ol' me? Alot!!! , when you can't have a conversation w/o it spiraling into a talk fest of one of those 3 things. And I am not the only one noticing everything is becoming Fedorov Yzerman or Red Wings either.

I will however stop my little flippant remarks about it though for sake of conversation, let's just hope it stops on the other end too.
I deleted what I said because I didn't want to pollute the board.

I will say this, though. When you have a team as successful as the Wings were over such a long period of time a few players are going to rated rather highly. You seem to have a problem with it. Like anytime a Wings player is brought up you have to make a snide remark. Are some players in some instances overrated? Sure, but mist players are to some degree. You, however, seem to gave a personal issue with Wings in general.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:18 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Fedorov

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:24 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
I deleted what I said because I didn't want to pollute the board.

I will say this, though. When you have a team as successful as the Wings were over such a long period of time a few players are going to rated rather highly. You seem to have a problem with it. Like anytime a Wings player is brought up you have to make a snide remark. Are some players in some instances overrated? Sure, but mist players are to some degree. You, however, seem to gave a personal issue with Wings in general.
Fair enough, even though I used to really like Fedorov but lately, his name is leaving a bad taste in my mouth, but that happens when mega-fans put him above Gretzky at every turn.

Selanne vs Fedorov is highly debatable, one which really doesn't have a true answer, I understand the back and forth on that one.

Telling everyone Fedorov got mad skills over Wayne except for his mind, is taking the Fedorov argument to levels it should never be. And there's at least 12 of you that think it. And to be honest, I am not the only one noticing it around here lately, I am just the only dummy to fight it head on and publicly.

How would you like me answering or dragging every thread to Orr, Esposito, Bucyk, Sanderson, Hodge and 1970 to 1975 Bruin teams? It would get old if I did, wouldn't it?

Old
03-19-2013, 03:42 PM
BraveCanadian

Fedorov in a cakewalk.

I don't even know why this poll comes up continually.

BraveCanadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:57 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
Just a Little Heat

Sergei's playoff resume during his prime makes this a cakewalk. But during the regular season, its a lot closer than many I think give Datsyuk credit for. But does that really matter?

LeBlondeDemon10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Yamaguchi

My vote goes to Datsyuk. He's so funny and down to earth.

I hope Sergei can forgive me...

Yamaguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
I don't even know why this poll comes up continually.
I think the lack of Datsyuk threads and Fyodorov threads recently called for a new playground.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

Feds was dating Anna Kournikova in his prime. He was the better playa.

Even being serious, it's still Fedorov by a comfortable margin. I like Datsyuk (borderline top 5 forward since the first "Today's NHL" lockout), but this is getting out of hand.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Too early to tell with Dats still in his prime.

That being said injuries have taken a bit of the 'greatness' away from certain seasons for Dats.

Fedorov has the lead as of now though.

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:13 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Fedorov, but it's closer since Datsyuk has shaken that early-career big-game reputation. I don't see enough separation between Datsyuk and Zetterberg to necessitate a Fedorov comparison though.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:07 PM
tfong

Fedo in his prime was ridiculous. Even Datsyuk can't match it and Dats is my 2nd favourite player.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:47 AM
TAnnala

I voted Fedorov. But also it got me thinking...

The recent Fedorov vs. Selanne thread is favoring Fedorov as a better player by a bit. Mainly due to the peak performance. Prime vs. Prime Selanne vs. Fedorov is close and maybe even Selanne being the more favorable choise.

Against Datsyuk, Fedorov wins by a landslide.

Datsuyk against Bure and Datsuyk wins.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...665&highlight=

I am not sure, but i would think that Selanne vs. Bure would be a close one, maybe Bure even winning that.

It just seems that Fedorov is a tad overrated. Maybe even more than a tad.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:21 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
I voted Fedorov. But also it got me thinking...

The recent Fedorov vs. Selanne thread is favoring Fedorov as a better player by a bit. Mainly due to the peak performance. Prime vs. Prime Selanne vs. Fedorov is close and maybe even Selanne being the more favorable choise.

Against Datsyuk, Fedorov wins by a landslide.

Datsuyk against Bure and Datsuyk wins.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...665&highlight=

I am not sure, but i would think that Selanne vs. Bure would be a close one, maybe Bure even winning that.

It just seems that Fedorov is a tad overrated. Maybe even more than a tad.
Currently, I hold Selanne in the #10 RW spot all-time, with Bure in 11th. I'm not sure Selanne can do much to dislodge Hull from 9th, either. Including Selanne, I rank four active RWs in my top-20.

I have Fedorov at 13th among centers, between Messier and Larionov. No active centers are currently ranked in my top-20.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:16 AM
TAnnala

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Currently, I hold Selanne in the #10 RW spot all-time, with Bure in 11th. I'm not sure Selanne can do much to dislodge Hull from 9th, either. Including Selanne, I rank four active RWs in my top-20.

I have Fedorov at 13th among centers, between Messier and Larionov. No active centers are currently ranked in my top-20.
Well, I think both ranks are high. Selanne a bit high and Fedorov a lot high.

I think it is a push to put Fedorov in top-20 centers all-time. Selanne might be able to squeeze in to the top-10 but personally i would not put him there.

Gretzky
Lemieux
Messier
Beliveau
Mikita
Esposito
Clarke
Sakic
Yzerman
Trottier
Dionne
Richard
Forsberg
Crosby

On top of my head should all be "no brainers" ahead of Fedorov. That is not even touching the really old guys.

Howe
Jagr
Richard
LaFleur
Bossy
Makarov

Should all be ahead of Selanne. Maybe he could be in discussion with Kurri/Hull and that would slot him around 10.

Center is a lot deeper position than RW is tough.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:47 AM
JFA87-66-99

I think Datsyuk, he's is just so naturally skilled. fedorov was a better skater

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:02 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Well, I think both ranks are high. Selanne a bit high and Fedorov a lot high.

I think it is a push to put Fedorov in top-20 centers all-time. Selanne might be able to squeeze in to the top-10 but personally i would not put him there.

Gretzky
Lemieux
Messier
Beliveau
Mikita
Esposito
Clarke
Sakic
Yzerman
Trottier
Dionne
Richard
Forsberg
Crosby

On top of my head should all be "no brainers" ahead of Fedorov. That is not even touching the really old guys.
In no universe (that doesn't significantly weight Cup-counting) should Henri Richard rank above Sergei Fedorov. None.

I rank Fedorov over Forsberg, though not by much. And I have Crosby a step behind that; he needs to do a bit more to move up and is certainly well on his way to doing that.

Quote:
Howe
Jagr
Richard
LaFleur
Bossy
Makarov

Should all be ahead of Selanne. Maybe he could be in discussion with Kurri/Hull and that would slot him around 10.

Center is a lot deeper position than RW is tough.
I have that exact group of eight players, plus Bathgate, ahead of Selanne.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:06 AM
TAnnala

Quote:
In no universe (that doesn't significantly weight Cup-counting) should Henri Richard rank above Sergei Fedorov. None.

I rank Fedorov over Forsberg, though not by much. And I have Crosby a step behind that; he needs to do a bit more to move up and is certainly well on his way to doing that.

I have that exact group of eight players, plus Bathgate, ahead of Selanne.
Totally forgot Bathgate. He is one who should be higher too.

I was probably a bit too fast on judging your list.

Fedorov might be a tough to put in the #12 but he certainly should make the top-20. Also, i might agree with Henri Richard. I just threw him there due to fame. But you are probably right. He is overrated.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:41 AM
Sentinel

Datsyuk has better work ethic, he rarely coasts, has better hands, stickhandling, and performs better with crappy linemates. But Fedorov was an absolute monster in playoffs, was more naturally talented, had better overall skills and speed. Dats never quite reached the same peak as Feds in 94-96. So Feds it is.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:57 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
Datsyuk has better work ethic, he rarely coasts, has better hands, stickhandling, and performs better with crappy linemates.
When did Fedorov have linemates of the quality Datsyuk had earlier in his career, though?

I don't think a couple weeks of playing with Abdelkader and Cleary wins Datsyuk the linemate argument. Of all of the star centers Detroit has had in the past 40 years, Datsyuk unarguably had the best and most consistent set of wingers in Zetterberg/Holmstrom, until Zetterberg was given his own line full-time in 2008-09 (really in the 2008 playoffs).

Old
03-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Sentinel

Fedorov played with Yzerman on the 911 line and then on the Russian Five. He also played with Shanahan. The only times Datsyuk could match was on the Two Kids and a Goat line and then with Hossa. Fedorov had far superior linemates.

Last edited by Sentinel: 03-20-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:

I'm a huge career guy but can also see why Bure would be as high as 11 on the RW list, when he was on he was one of the most dominant goal scorers in history starting from his age 17 season in Russia.

It would be interesting to see your list of RW

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote