General OT Thread #27: Bacon - Tasty And Good For Your Blue Line

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 07:55 AM
forthewild

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Apparently to watch a movie on Netflix using my Macbook I need to install Microsoft Silverlight. Problem is, I've already installed it. Suggestions?
Go to www.ebay.com, buy a real computer, list your macbook for another person to feel shame from.

for helpful advice look below

Uninstall it, then try to reinstall and reboot the computer. If that doesn't work use a different browser, not sure if you have Chrome on that fascist device but chrome rocks

Old
03-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Oh, didn't see it was already installed.

Yeah, I'd second getting Chrome, it's all I use on my Mac. No problems. I actually had to fire up Safari for the first time a couple weeks ago when some website was having issues.

Assuming computer is up to date, you can uninstall it and reinstall it.

Quick Google search, sounds like Silverlight can require that because it's a crappy product. Why Netflix uses that instead of Flash or something that's more widely adopted, I don't know.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Did a good scrubbing of my kid's fish tank yesterday.

We've got two goldfish (a comet and a fantail) and two otocinclus algae eaters. They are pretty tough and low maintenance, but one of the otos died and the tank was getting kind of nasty.

Changed 2/3 of the water, sucked up most of the crap in the rocks, scrubbed the sides, got some new smaller fake plants, tossed a couple old plants that were accumulating too much gunk, changed the filter, and brought in a new oto which came with a bonus tiny snail somehow. And swapped out the blue background for a Finding Nemo one which my kid picked out.

They seem much more lively now. Little otos are buzzing around and cleaning the glass again (they were just eating off the rocks before) and playing in the castle, goldfish are happy hiding in the new "grass", and the little snail keeps climbing around the wall. Although I fully expect the goldfish to find a way to eat the snail. They were sniffing around him all last night and he's about 5mm big with the shell.

The goldfish keep getting bigger too. They are probably 4-5" long now.

Amazing how much work and money you'll sink into keeping $10 worth of fish happy and healthy.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:46 AM
forthewild

I had a fishtank with 3 fish, one of each of the boys. One day the oldest one then 4ish, and the youngest one then 2.3yrs took the fish out of the tank and played with them :/, no more fishtank

Old
03-18-2013, 09:46 AM
00xtremeninja
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 435
when i was a kid my dad did a ton for my goldfish. it was awesome, I had three of those things that I swear were indestructable. Usually one doesn't get too attached to goldfish, but this orange one I had that was like 75 cents bought at the age of 4 and lived until I was 16, I was pretty sad to see him go. Nice looking tank, never did the background thing with mine.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Engebretson
I WANT HOLYFIELD!!!!

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
Ultimate Dodge ball Championship on FSN right now.
If FSN really wanted to enhance their image, they'd rename themselves "The Ocho".

Old
03-18-2013, 10:01 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Did a good scrubbing of my kid's fish tank yesterday.

We've got two goldfish (a comet and a fantail) and two otocinclus algae eaters. They are pretty tough and low maintenance, but one of the otos died and the tank was getting kind of nasty.

Changed 2/3 of the water, sucked up most of the crap in the rocks, scrubbed the sides, got some new smaller fake plants, tossed a couple old plants that were accumulating too much gunk, changed the filter, and brought in a new oto which came with a bonus tiny snail somehow. And swapped out the blue background for a Finding Nemo one which my kid picked out.

They seem much more lively now. Little otos are buzzing around and cleaning the glass again (they were just eating off the rocks before) and playing in the castle, goldfish are happy hiding in the new "grass", and the little snail keeps climbing around the wall. Although I fully expect the goldfish to find a way to eat the snail. They were sniffing around him all last night and he's about 5mm big with the shell.

The goldfish keep getting bigger too. They are probably 4-5" long now.

Amazing how much work and money you'll sink into keeping $10 worth of fish happy and healthy.

That's awesome though ! If I were a fish I'd love that tank !

Old
03-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah my parents got the tank and fish for him, I got stuck doing the work

He got three comets but two of them died right away. I got him the bright orange fish then found out apparently goldfish shouldn't be in small tanks as they are messy and can die easily. So I was planning to get some colorful tetras and snails, but these guys have been tough. They lived in a Tupperware container for a few days while we moved!

Xtreme, how big did he get? I see videos of 15-20 year old goldfish that get HUGE!

Oh yeah, my kid wanted to get a ceramic Nemo decoration but I thought the other fish wouldn't like to see a giant fish statue sitting in their tank and scaring the crap out of them.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:27 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

My entire saltwater system that I run 5 different tanks on totals something around 1200 gallons... I know the feeling of it being a lot of work.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
03-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Today was supposed to be our first day back to class from Spring Break last week.

I say "was" because Snow Day!

<3 UND
I got to work at 9:50, and work was cancelled and 9:55

Woo!

I think everyone has a snow day in GF today though.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:32 AM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
I got to work at 9:50, and work was cancelled and 9:55

Woo!

I think everyone has a snow day in GF today though.
I saw a guy with a truck with the plow on the front roll through my street a bit after I woke up around 7-7:30 or so. I just looked outside and the path he made is non-existent now. Way too much snow

Old
03-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
I saw a guy with a truck with the plow on the front roll through my street a bit after I woke up around 7-7:30 or so. I just looked outside and the path he made is non-existent now. Way too much snow
I had to drive over the interstate today, and there was a traffic jam because semis were not able to make it up the hill on either side. The tires were just spinning not going anywhere.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
That's awesome though ! If I were a fish I'd love that tank !
Hell, I'd go live in it right now if I could. Heck of a lot nicer than my dorm.

As for the Silverlight problem, I'll try a few of your guys' suggestions later today. One of my friends also told me he's using Chrome now too instead of Firefox (which is what I'm currently using).

Old
03-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Uberdachen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice box hockey View Post
Wasn't that big of a fan of downfall, didn't do it for me. Patton i do agree on being one of the best war films, but my favorite is by far The longest day with John wayne. Movie was amazing.
I remember reading/hearing at some point that the D-Day recreation in that may actually have been bigger than the real thing. I know when I watched it I was in awe at the size of the armada and had to remind myself they couldn't CGI it back then.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTOTHEVOID View Post
Just keep plugging away, sooner or later you get something right?

I've been applying like crazy over the past month or so and have only gotten 1 interview in that span.. feels kinda bad.
Sure hope so. Even getting interviews is difficult right now, according to a few of my friends. There are just so many people looking for a job. Good luck anyway, I hope you find something!

I know I'll get another job eventually, but I'm just hoping it happens before the economy gets substantially better, because it may take a while before that happens.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:51 PM
tyratoku

Here is a really bad*** video from Russia. Swearing(from the song) and blood in the video. Some girls in bikinis as well. So NSFW?

EDIT: Oh ya ok Puhis you can put it up on facebook

Last edited by tyratoku: 03-18-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old
03-18-2013, 04:04 PM
HobeyBroten

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Finally convinced my doctor to let me get my cast off my arm early. 'Bout time I got rid of it. I was using a tin snips to cut most of it away anyway.

How experienced are you in working on bicycles? Basic maintenance doable?

I actually just purchased the gal a bike from Airborne so she can come along with me on trail rides. Should be here Saturday. They're strictly an online company so the complete bike is shipped to you and you need to assemble it. I would suggest going to bike stores and get fitted on a proper sized frame so you know what you're looking for before purchasing. Or, use a bike fitment calculator like this one.

Here's the basic assembly done:

I ordered her the Sabre from Airborne because she likely isn't going to be going with me all that much and it's enough bike for what she'll need it for. And for $249 to my door, it's worth the shot. They also have the Skyhawk but the smallest they have is an 18" and that won't fit many women unless they've got very long legs or are pretty tall. The Guardian is a very well spec'd bike for the price which I would look into for you. Some combination of those would fit in your budget.

To be completely honest, it'll be hard to fit two solid bikes into that budget (even if it's actually a good sum of money) without going the online or used route for one or both bikes. Online will require some research, whereas used is very tricky because you need to know exactly what you're looking for when you go out to look at the bikes. Especially mountain bikes as they've usually been beaten up pretty good.
These bikes would work plenty for me and my wife. I'm not interested in getting a bike that fits me like a custom set up, just something to run ride the trails around town. I am not 100% familiar with hydraulics on shocks/brakes on these bikes, but I consider myself to have a very strong mechanical aptitude, work on vehicles all the time.

Thanks for the help!

Old
03-18-2013, 04:39 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeyBroten View Post
These bikes would work plenty for me and my wife. I'm not interested in getting a bike that fits me like a custom set up, just something to run ride the trails around town. I am not 100% familiar with hydraulics on shocks/brakes on these bikes, but I consider myself to have a very strong mechanical aptitude, work on vehicles all the time.

Thanks for the help!
Hydraulic brakes require bleeding (similar to car brakes) from time to time. You can take it to your Local Bike Shop and they can perform the service or you can buy a kit to do it yourself. One of my bikes has Hydraulics but it hasn't needed service yet. Will likely just take it in unless I'm feeling bored.

I did get the Sabre delivered on Saturday. It's a quality option for the price. The fork is obviously low end and if you're going to have a lot of weight on it, it's not ideal. But the gal is light (115ish) so it's suitable for her. The rear derailleur needed some tweaking as well to make everything shift cleaner. You can watch youtube videos to dial it in correctly or most LBSs will tune it for ~$20.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:47 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Hydraulic brakes require bleeding (similar to car brakes) from time to time. You can take it to your Local Bike Shop and they can perform the service or you can buy a kit to do it yourself. One of my bikes has Hydraulics but it hasn't needed service yet. Will likely just take it in unless I'm feeling bored.

I did get the Sabre delivered on Saturday. It's a quality option for the price. The fork is obviously low end and if you're going to have a lot of weight on it, it's not ideal. But the gal is light (115ish) so it's suitable for her. The rear derailleur needed some tweaking as well to make everything shift cleaner. You can watch youtube videos to dial it in correctly or most LBSs will tune it for ~$20.
If you haven't bled your brakes before then take it in.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
03-18-2013, 09:20 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Anyone hear about the **** in Steubneville Ohio ?

Old
03-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

No, I avoid the news at all costs. Which is funny if you knew me from the old Wild boards.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:03 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
No, I avoid the news at all costs. Which is funny if you knew me from the old Wild boards.
Lol. Why's that ?

Old
03-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I used to be a real argumentative guy who would follow politics and root for my side. Real waste of mental energy. Now I use that energy to argue about sports

Old
03-19-2013, 03:44 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Anyone hear about the **** in Steubneville Ohio ?
i might actually kill my own child if he ever did something like that. The act, then the attitude after the fact. jesus.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:59 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i might actually kill my own child if he ever did something like that. The act, then the attitude after the fact. jesus.
It's pathetic, and some in the town are saying the girl deserved it... Or saying that the boys lives are ruined..

Closed Thread