HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 03:28 PM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Not alot of opportunity to improve the team there. With that being said they lose #4 overall this year, with no top picks, I can see this team slipping further down next year inside the Top 3. That really stings. Its possible they could forfeit the #1 overall selection.
Next yrs !st rd pick was returned to them,as well they have 3 picks in the 2nd

next yr

Old
03-19-2013, 03:33 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Next yrs !st rd pick was returned to them,as well they have 3 picks in the 2nd

next yr
Thanks. That sounds like a nice little package to get them back on track. Initially was it 3 first rounders? I know the sentence and fine was reduced, just dont recall the details.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Ottomatic

Spits could use those three second rounders next year to trade for a defected player from the first round this year - if there is any.

Or they could use a couple of those seconds to get a high second this year. A team like London who is returning most of their roster might want the two 2014 second rounders in their pocket rather than drafting a second rounder this year who couldn't be traded for the year. They could use the 2014 seconds to improve their team - but couldn't use the drafted 2013 second rounder who would battle for playing time all year.

Regarding the defected player - which would be more valuable to a contender - making the pick and then dealing them in January for a now player or having the player declared defected and trading them for three seconds and a comp first next year?

Old
03-19-2013, 03:41 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Thanks. That sounds like a nice little package to get them back on track. Initially was it 3 first rounders? I know the sentence and fine was reduced, just dont recall the details.
Yes they reduced the fine by 150,000 and received 1 ist rder the 2014 back,meaning they have a 1st rder in 2014 and 2015
What i should have said was they lose a 2nd rder in 2014
so the penalty remaining is 2nd rder in 2014,2nd rder in 2015 and 1st rder in 2016

Old
03-19-2013, 03:54 PM
Ottomatic

^It's not my money, but if I was the Spits I wouldn't have settled for that "plea bargain". Especially now knowing they just flushed that $150K down the toilet in a go nowhere Mem Cup bid chance.

So basically they admitted wrong doing to get one future first rounder back. Quixotic Mem Cup bid money makes the monies equal ie got $150K back, but then spend it to have a meeting with hosting selection committee.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:12 PM
hockeyboy4

Quote:
Well one apparently is ,all but penciled in but I am sworn to secrecy
If your right (which you most of the time are) when could this be announced to the public?

Old
03-19-2013, 04:15 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy4 View Post
If your right (which you most of the time are) when could this be announced to the public?
When said players hockey season is over or just before the NHl draft like Seiloff

As I said it is all but pencilled in but not definite yet

Old
03-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Libbs

Rychel has an INCREDIBLE opportunity now to rebuild this team properly. Bottom out this coming season and trade everything not named Ho Sang.

Rychel, Vail, Seiloff, Koekoek should fetch you a kings ransom at deadline time. The combination of those 4 should bring in at least one 2013 1st rounder. Should also be able to generate more 2nds which could then be flipped to move up in the 2nd round in 2014.

Add 2 high end 17yo Import players this year.

Top 4 pick plus 2 guys from 21-25.

The team should be primed to peak in 2015/2016.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:14 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Rychel has an INCREDIBLE opportunity now to rebuild this team properly. Bottom out this coming season and trade everything not named Ho Sang.

Rychel, Vail, Seiloff, Koekoek should fetch you a kings ransom at deadline time. The combination of those 4 should bring in at least one 2013 1st rounder. Should also be able to generate more 2nds which could then be flipped to move up in the 2nd round in 2014.

Add 2 high end 17yo Import players this year.

Top 4 pick plus 2 guys from 21-25.

The team should be primed to peak in 2015/2016.
Ding ding ding we have a winner. They still have a core of current 16, 17 year olds if dedicated could be part of a group that can win a year or two down the road. With 2 import picks this year you can go all out and bring in 2 top guys even if one was good enough to make the NHL at a young age you still have a 1st rounder in the import draft next year that can't be traded. It's time the inmates stopped running the asylum and to take it back. If things go as they should the league can take their 2016 1st round pick and stick it.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:38 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
At least they can just offer a gold education package to one of the players currently drafted and try to lure him here. I would rather do that than reach for some guy and hope he pans out.
Of the players currently drafted Nick Schmaltz [96] C (2012), Will Butcher [95] D (2011), Evan Allen [95] C (2011) and Riley Barber [94] RW (2011) [NHL 6th rd Boston] would seem to be the most valuable to the Spits.

Barber is playing for Miami (Ohio), Schmaltz (verbally committed to Dakota),Will Butcher (Verb to U Denver) and Allen (verb to Mich).

The choice (if you had one) would probably be Schmaltz as he's the youngest. None are what could described as big physical specimens. The player probably most ready to play in the OHL right now would be the oldest Barber....

Old
03-19-2013, 06:22 PM
hockeylegend11

2 other Americans who may be of interest to Windsor are 96 born Cen-Chris Dodero whose brother Charlie Dodero played 4 yrs in the O and the younger Dodero an Illinois is currently
playing with hometown Chicago,and 96 born-Dman Alex Baughman who is not part of
the USDTP group,he is 6'3" 190 who rated pretty highly last yr by OHL central scouting

Old
03-19-2013, 06:27 PM
Ottomatic

Would have to be Allen or Schmaltz. No point for Butcher to come over - no room on defence for him anyways, and he struggled mightily this year and should go the college route. The ship has sailed with Barber. He was drafted out of the US college system, so he could play AHL.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:51 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Would have to be Allen or Schmaltz. No point for Butcher to come over - no room on defence for him anyways, and he struggled mightily this year and should go the college route. The ship has sailed with Barber. He was drafted out of the US college system, so he could play AHL.
I guess you could find reasons for/against any of them coming. Perhaps Barber might be pushed our way as he did have a good season & is already drafted. As for Butcher if he wanted to come the Spits would make room. It would allow them to trade another D-man for assets/draft picks....(which really could use)...

Old
03-19-2013, 06:57 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Allen has had a very productive year with the under 18's, more productive than Barber last year who's been terrific at Miami. You have to go under the assumption Johnson isn't going to be back with the Spits so they need to find a forward to step in both Allen and Schmaltz would fit the bill.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:07 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Allen has had a very productive year with the under 18's, more productive than Barber last year who's been terrific at Miami. You have to go under the assumption Johnson isn't going to be back with the Spits so they need to find a forward to step in both Allen and Schmaltz would fit the bill.
Good pts I am sure Spits certainly looking at those options
As for Johnson and only speculating maybe if he is moved the edc package
designation goes with him and if it does I think they would have 3 to play with
and with no 1st rder this year perhaps a free agent from the USHL could be signed
along with at least 1 of Allen or Schmaltz preferably both

Old
03-19-2013, 07:58 PM
Ottomatic

We can offer/promise top 6 playing time to any forward to try and lure them over.

Only Rychel, Ho-Sang and Vail have any claim to our top six coming back. Remy and Verbeek are 3rd line guys.

I assume we'll trade a couple 2014 second rounders for a top line OA.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:04 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
As for Johnson and only speculating maybe if he is moved the edc package designation goes with him and if it does I think they would have 3 to play with and with no 1st rder this year perhaps a free agent from the USHL could be signed along with at least 1 of Allen or Schmaltz preferably both
It would, but under what circumstances do you expect another team to trade for him? How quickly do these matters come before the court? Isn't it usually months/years? His mobility (over the border) is going to be limited while the charges are pending. I can't see any way that Johnson plays much next year, if at all.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:07 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Spits could use those three second rounders next year to trade for a defected player from the first round this year - if there is any.
It looks like one of the the 2014 second rounders is conditional. Can you trade a conditional pick?

Old
03-19-2013, 08:11 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
It would, but under what circumstances do you expect another team to trade for him? How quickly do these matters come before the court? Isn't it usually months/years? His mobility (over the border) is going to be limited while the charges are pending. I can't see any way that Johnson plays much next year, if at all.
Pettacio and Cousins disagree.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Was the Soo Greyhounds issue settled on the down low this past year? Did those three players not cross the border? Petaccio is American, so I'd assume similar issues.

Not saying that any team would want to trade for him, or that he should be back with the Spits, but innocent until proven guilty will probably would make it hard for the Spits to just tell him to stay home.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:14 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
It looks like one of the the 2014 second rounders is conditional. Can you trade a conditional pick?
I don't see why not. Just put more conditions on it. I'd have to see what the original conditions are, and if they're met this season and thus the pick is officially conveyed or not.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:16 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Was the Soo Greyhounds issue settled on the down low this past year? Did those three players not cross the border? Petaccio is American, so I'd assume similar issues.

Not saying that any team would want to trade for him, or that he should be back with the Spits, but innocent until proven guilty will probably would make it hard for the Spits to just tell him to stay home.
My understanding is it's still on going and that did not prevent Petaccio from being dealt at the deadline this year.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:39 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Fair enough. I didn't realize Petaccio was American as well. I don't recall the SSM three having to pay $30,000 in bail though either...usually if they make you put up like that, they have some concerns.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:45 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
I don't see why not. Just put more conditions on it. I'd have to see what the original conditions are, and if they're met this season and thus the pick is officially conveyed or not.
The Windsor Star says that it's the pick from the Maletta trade, so I guess that's what they have unless draft picks be traded at the moment?

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/01...r-draft-picks/

Quote:
The second-round pick in the deal would switch to 2013 if Niagara acquires another second-round pick before April 1. The sixth-round pick becomes a fourth-round pick in 2016 if Maletta plays 100 games with the IceDogs.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
The Windsor Star says that it's the pick from the Maletta trade, so I guess that's what they have unless draft picks be traded at the moment?

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/01...r-draft-picks/
Okay that's the pick we assumed was bumped into a second this year when they traded Wigle, but unfortunately we were mistaken. So it's surely a 2014 second rounder (I believe it's London's as well - so basically will be #40).

Closed Thread