HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Line Combos Thread II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2013, 04:20 PM
  #551
redbeard7737
Registered User
 
redbeard7737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,949
vCash: 500
How is Spurgeon looking? Is he getting PP time again? He was awesome in the WHL...hope he does well.

redbeard7737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:03 PM
  #552
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,463
vCash: 500
Brodziak on the top PP unit again tonight? Oh Yeo.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:13 PM
  #553
elnewby
We got em'!
 
elnewby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,398
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Brodziak on the top PP unit again tonight? Oh Yeo.
Apparently they want a net-front presence who is a right handed...

How about Coyle? He's already "earned" being on the first line, might as well through him on the PP. Plus, he doesn't kill offense like Brodz.

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:04 PM
  #554
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,939
vCash: 500
I need to see more games with Brodz on the PP to hate the move. He was actually fairly decent last year there. I think he's looked okay on the PP this year, maybe just because he plays it like 5-on-5 instead of playing hot potato with the puck like everyone else.

Granted Zucker should be on the PP now, but we're stuck with a bunch of passers and not enough shooters. Brodziak at least isn't another passer.

Would be nice to have 1-2 guys who can absolutely bomb a puck from the point.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:05 PM
  #555
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard7737 View Post
How is Spurgeon looking? Is he getting PP time again? He was awesome in the WHL...hope he does well.
He is and has a couple goals to show for it. Everyone ripped him to shreds for missing a one-timer low one game, next game he buries one in tight, same thing last game. He's got a good one-timer that has been used on the PP the last 3-4 games and has been crashing the net more than anyone not named Zach Parise, which is embarrassing for the Wild.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:33 PM
  #556
Puhis
@Puhis46
 
Puhis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,171
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard7737 View Post
How is Spurgeon looking? Is he getting PP time again? He was awesome in the WHL...hope he does well.
Still the best player on our roster.

Not kidding.

__________________


Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:34 PM
  #557
Kaptain
WarBortles
 
Kaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 4,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Still the best player on our roster.

Not kidding.

Kaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:36 PM
  #558
DeuceMN
Really?
 
DeuceMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chi-Town, Il
Country: United States
Posts: 2,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Still the best player on our roster.

Not kidding.

Don't. know. if. being. serious
He's been ok... A little hit or miss...

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:41 PM
  #559
TheeNorthStar
Registered User
 
TheeNorthStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Still the best player on our roster.

Not kidding.


I get how much you love Spurg. but you're delusional.. EXTREMELY delusional.

TheeNorthStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:43 PM
  #560
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8
 
tomgilbertfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 8,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Still the best player on our roster.

Not kidding.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:50 PM
  #561
Puhis
@Puhis46
 
Puhis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,171
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Well, okay, pound-for-pound, he's got to be.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:38 PM
  #562
Sportsfan1
Registered User
 
Sportsfan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 500
Parise pound for pound is the best player on our team and it's not even questionable.

Coyle-Koivu-Parise
Gilbert-Suter

Zucker-Granlund-Heatley
Setoguchi-Brodin

Should be the PP combos, get Brodziak off the ******** PP, terrible choice when you have Coyle and Zucker on this team. Come on Yeo, only legit criticism of Yeo is his PP handling right now, it's terrible.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:40 AM
  #563
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,939
vCash: 500
I know Coyle scored, but I have not been a big fan of him on the top line. I LOVE what he brings from a physical standpoint, the boards, the net, everywhere. But he's just not developed yet offensively and it feels like he's holding that line back.

Also, and TAK will love this, I haven't seen as much out of Parise offensively since his fast start. He's had a couple nice games lately, but the whole month of February he had five points. Six goals since the first five games. I'd like to see more from him.

Look at what happened to Parise's shots on goal before and after Coyle came back:

Before: 4.6 shots per game
After: 2.9 shots per game

Big drop in shots = big drop in scoring chances = less potential for scoring



I would like to see this:

Parise - Koivu - Bouchard
Zucker - Cullen - Setoguchi
Heatley - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Mitchell - Konopka - Rupp

I think Butch with two workers makes him less of a liability and his puck possession skills and hopefully if it's coming around his playmaking can create more opportunities for his linemates. I want to see Zucker back up on that second line where he can get scoring chances.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:27 AM
  #564
DeuceMN
Really?
 
DeuceMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chi-Town, Il
Country: United States
Posts: 2,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I know Coyle scored, but I have not been a big fan of him on the top line. I LOVE what he brings from a physical standpoint, the boards, the net, everywhere. But he's just not developed yet offensively and it feels like he's holding that line back.

Also, and TAK will love this, I haven't seen as much out of Parise offensively since his fast start. He's had a couple nice games lately, but the whole month of February he had five points. Six goals since the first five games. I'd like to see more from him.

Look at what happened to Parise's shots on goal before and after Coyle came back:

Before: 4.6 shots per game
After: 2.9 shots per game

Big drop in shots = big drop in scoring chances = less potential for scoring



I would like to see this:

Parise - Koivu - Bouchard
Zucker - Cullen - Setoguchi
Heatley - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Mitchell - Konopka - Rupp


I think Butch with two workers makes him less of a liability and his puck possession skills and hopefully if it's coming around his playmaking can create more opportunities for his linemates. I want to see Zucker back up on that second line where he can get scoring chances.
I completely agree that these lines could do better than what we currently have.

It is cool to see Coyle, but I agree he is not ready for that top line duty. He doesn't mean to, and he works his butt off pretty well, which I appreciate, but he does drag that line down. They have not been effective at all with him on it, and that line really needs to be.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:30 AM
  #565
Uberdachen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pants.
Posts: 455
vCash: 500
Yep.

Uberdachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:59 AM
  #566
Lapa
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Lapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 6,218
vCash: 500
I agree with Jarick's lines. While Coyle hasn't been a liability, he still isn't producing enough in the 1st line. Let him improve in Houston for a bit longer, and he'll return better than he is now.

Lapa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:34 PM
  #567
playasRus
Registered User
 
playasRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,979
vCash: 500
How has Heatley been doing lately?

I'm thinking of picking him up in my fantasy pool before the deadline via trade.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:36 PM
  #568
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
What?

How come a Sens fan would do that!?

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:44 PM
  #569
JawandaPuck
Moderator
Lost Art of Dynasty
 
JawandaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,304
vCash: 500
I've been out of the loop for the last couple weeks. What is the current alignment of lines and pairings deployed by Coach Yeo? (It's obviously working.)

__________________
Follow JawandaPuck on Twitter and Blogspot - all revenue from Google Ads is donated to the Canucks for Kids Fund (CFKF) in support of the Canucks Autism Network (CAN).
JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:58 PM
  #570
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,707
vCash: 500
i don't like the idea of rocking the boat right now while everything is rolling...I've agreed all along that Coyle isn't a first liner or the best fit right now up there, but no one else has been, either, and while some guys might be more productive on the top line the ripple effect on the other lines by replacing them is probably not worth it. Just figuring out Yeo's mindset here. Or opining on it. I wouldn't mind trying Bouchard up there because he's the only other guy with skill who we haven't tried, but probably not right now. maybe in a game where we are getting severely beat down flex him up there to see if anything looks good. Or i guess a game where we're ahead by quite a bit, too...assuming we don't take our feet of the pedal to protect the lead. I want to see how he does when the focus is on scoring.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:12 PM
  #571
Wildfish
Registered User
 
Wildfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Siberia, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
I've been out of the loop for the last couple weeks. What is the current alignment of lines and pairings deployed by Coach Yeo? (It's obviously working.)

LW/C/RW

Parise-Mikko-Coyle

Zucker/PMB-Cullen-Seto

Clutts-Brodz-Heatley

Rupp-Konopka-Mitchell

Wildfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:35 PM
  #572
JawandaPuck
Moderator
Lost Art of Dynasty
 
JawandaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfish View Post
LW/C/RW

Parise-Mikko-Coyle

Zucker/PMB-Cullen-Seto

Clutts-Brodz-Heatley

Rupp-Konopka-Mitchell
Thanks. Is Heatley still getting PP time?

Suter is obviously on fire. What are the blueline pairings these days?

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:38 PM
  #573
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 10,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Thanks. Is Heatley still getting PP time?

Suter is obviously on fire. What are the blueline pairings these days?
2nd unit.

Suter - Brodin
Falk - Gilbert
Stoner - Spurgeon

With Clark coming in, he'll probably be paired with Gilbert and Falk will probably go to the pressbox.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:39 PM
  #574
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
How has Heatley been doing lately?

I'm thinking of picking him up in my fantasy pool before the deadline via trade.
He's maybe on pace for 40-45 points in an 82 game season? After an insanely hot start. So not very good.

Pretty much done IMO. Can't skate, has maybe one good game every 5-10 games, he's been on the third line for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i don't like the idea of rocking the boat right now while everything is rolling...I've agreed all along that Coyle isn't a first liner or the best fit right now up there, but no one else has been, either, and while some guys might be more productive on the top line the ripple effect on the other lines by replacing them is probably not worth it. Just figuring out Yeo's mindset here. Or opining on it. I wouldn't mind trying Bouchard up there because he's the only other guy with skill who we haven't tried, but probably not right now.
Disagree.

IMO if you are afraid to tinker with the lines or roster when you're having a bit of success, that shows you don't understand what is or is not working and why.

For example, the PP looks awful, but they've had some goals. In spite of over-passing, Koivu passing up shots, and Brodziak doing almost nothing on the PP.

Like last night, you had Koivu and Butch playing catch with the puck, neither a threat to score, and Stoner is out there as the PP is about to expire, just shoots it on net, it bounces off Coyle out front and off two guys and in. From the stat sheet, you think "oh, two big time playmakers set up a beauty play and Coyle finished it off." Well it looked like a cluster**** and waste of a PP up to that point. But that guarantees they won't make any changes for the next week.

When you look at the last few games, Wild scored on 15% of their shots. That's pretty high. Opposition has had 8% of their shots go in. A hair low. Says they've had some bounces go their way. They've been playing better, but still had some luck.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:41 PM
  #575
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,939
vCash: 500
Oddly enough, two hours after I posted, Hockey Wilderness is asking the same thing. Although using the one really good shift he had as the answer I guess?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.