HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks purchase the Peoria Rivermen (Post #162)

Old
03-18-2013, 07:27 PM
thefeebster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Toronto has both the Marlies and Leafs. No reason why we couldn't have your Vancouver Canucks and your Vancouver Millionaires.
I hope this is so. I don't like the name Abbotsford.

Abby's still too far to travel for someone (me) without a car! What I really hope for is a TV deal with sportsnet or shaw even though i don't have shaw.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:36 PM
LiquidSnake

I'd be ok with them keeping their Peoria Rivermen name. Millionaires would be interesting as well.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:55 PM
biturbo19

Just call them the 'Abbotsford Farmers'.

Works on multiple levels.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:08 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
the thing about the canucks owning the ahl affiliate is that they can straight up pay for charter flights/whatever the **** they want to make sure that the prospects get the best possible environment. there's not a ******* chance a team in abbotsford is going to bus anywhere so it might actually be beneficial to be this far out
Yeah. The travel isn't ideal, and it could lead to some complications when trying to call up prospects while the Canucks are on the road in the East and the Farm team is in Abbotsford or various other scenarios like that. But that isn't really a dealbreaker by any means and not all that different from having to bring prospects in from Chicago when the Canucks are at home. And Aquaman + Gillis and co. will surely do everything possible to ease the strain of travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
It makes sense as a business move AND a developmental move. Now the prospects can get access to the best trainers, facilities, etc.
And this would be the huge upside to that sort of situation. You can have the prospects closely monitored and give them access to the great facilities and other organizational benefits of the big club. For example, you could have a guy like Melanson out there working with the young goalies more regularly.

Plus there's no way it wouldn't improve the business side for both Abbotsford in particular, and for the Canucks organization.

And just owning and controlling the AHL affiliate would be huge. For an organization that prides itself on becoming a 'first class organization', owning and controlling the developmental farm team is a very logical step.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:09 PM
Pump n Dump

Quote:
Originally Posted by linden16fan View Post
If they move a team to BC, they will be playing in Abbotsford not anywhere closer to Vancouver. Why make another arena when they have one already in Abbotsford
I think the Aquilini's already own one closer to Vancouver I'm just spitballing obviously - I have no idea if you could work the scheduling to run an NHL team and an AHL one out of the same building. But, if you could, I think you would.

Pump n Dump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump n Dump View Post
There we go -new ECHL affiliate in Abbotsford, new AHL affiliate in Vancouver(ish)
That would be a downgrade for Abbotsford. One thing the ECHL has as a league done better than the AHL is develop a western footprint. I wish some of the western ECHL teams would defect to the AHL. The lack of footprint problem was a big factor in Victoria going back to the WHL instead of getting a pro team as an anchor tenant.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:12 PM
Jyrki21
This!! ↓↓ Seriously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Good for business in Abbotsford, but I'm a bit concerned about our guys playing there. Their travel schedule will be even worse than the Canucks'.
Not to mention fans freaking out because Jensen isn't scoring five hat tricks per period. I'm not sure it's a great idea for Canuck prospects to be too close to home where the fans and their reactions are more geared at individual players than the game itself (not a problem with the Wolves/Moose, for example). Some younger players could have their confidence shaken earlier than necessary with the added focus.

Jyrki21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Doobie Dubois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrki21 View Post
Not to mention fans freaking out because Jensen isn't scoring five hat tricks per period. I'm not sure it's a great idea for Canuck prospects to be too close to home where the fans and their reactions are more geared at individual players than the game itself (not a problem with the Wolves/Moose, for example). Some younger players could have their confidence shaken earlier than necessary with the added focus.
Might as well get used to it.

Doobie Dubois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:24 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
If someone's confidence gets shaken because of AHL pressure, they were never going to be any good.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Jyrki21
This!! ↓↓ Seriously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
If someone's confidence gets shaken because of AHL pressure, they were never going to be any good.
Not from the pressure of playing in the AHL, from the Vancouver media scrutiny that they'd get as very young players. Not to mention the fans freaking out because now they're paying attention and a high-profile guy doesn't score for a game or two (look at this place to see how reasonable fans are). The AHL is not where players need the pressure of NHL fans already on them. I'd be curious how the Marlies have fared in this respect.

Anyway, a couple of Millionaires' shops:

Last edited by Jyrki21: 11-24-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Jyrki21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Nuckles
Bleed Assets E'ryday

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not from the pressure of playing in the AHL, from the Vancouver media scrutiny that they'd get as very young players. Not to mention the fans freaking out because now they're paying attention and a high-profile guy doesn't score for a game or two (look at this place to see how reasonable fans are). The AHL is not where players need the pressure of NHL fans already on them. I'd be curious how the Marlies have fared in this respect.

I'm amused that you put Barker in your proposed Abbotsford Millionaires jersey.

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:

Ha beat me, but this is my version:

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:04 PM
KillerWhale

Not a fan of naming them the Millionaires if Abbotsford becomes our AHL affiliate. Team names should have some sort of correlation to the area they are playing out of. I don't think there's many millionaires playing in the AHL, and Abbotsford isn't known for being a rich, upper class city. Doesn't work for me.

KillerWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:08 PM
GJB
- - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerWhale View Post
Not a fan of naming them the Millionaires if Abbotsford becomes our AHL affiliate. Team names should have some sort of correlation to the area they are playing out of. I don't think there's many millionaires playing in the AHL, and Abbotsford isn't known for being a rich, upper class city. Doesn't work for me.
What to call them though?

GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:16 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerWhale View Post
That's what's great about those jerseys. You can have a link to the big club with them without naming the team the Millionaires.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:22 PM
valkyrie42ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
What to call them though?
Abbotsford convicts

valkyrie42ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:23 PM
KillerWhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkle is Einhorn View Post
That's what's great about those jerseys. You can have a link to the big club with them without naming the team the Millionaires.
That's true. There needs to be a connection somehow between the Canucks and Abbotsford, and that is a great way to achieve that. No clue what to call Abbotsford yet though.

I actually like the name Vancouver Millionaires better than Vancouver Canucks, too bad they didn't stick with it when they originated.

KillerWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:33 AM
silvercanuck

Why on earth would St Louis sell the affiliate that they own in Peoria and affiliate themselves with the Wolves? The team has decent attendance and they control every aspect of their minor league team.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:47 AM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
Why on earth would St Louis sell the affiliate that they own in Peoria and affiliate themselves with the Wolves? The team has decent attendance and they control every aspect of their minor league team.
Probably money related.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:59 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Probably money related.
Tom Stillman and the Blues ownership group aren't exactly flush with cash. They have big money cash outlays upcoming if they want to keep their NHL team intact and competitive, and in a lot of ways...the Wolves would represent an excellent parter for them as an AHL affiliate. The Wolves are a group that is as wealthy as any in the AHL, and willing to spend their own money to ice a competitive team. In that regard, it probably means less pressure on the Blues ownership group to sign up a bunch of $$$ AHL free agents and the like. And it's still very 'local' for them as well.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:43 PM
silvercanuck

This still makes absolutely no sense to me.

If the St Louis Blues want to remain competitive in the cap era they need to continually develop talent. The best way to maintain this is to own their farm team and have control over their prospects. If the Peoria Rivermen are financially solvent there is no reason to sell. An AHL team is maybe worth $5 to $6 million. This is peanuts relatively for an NHL owner over the long run.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frankly I could care less if Aquilini wants to make a tiny bit of money on a local AHL team. What should be most important here is that the Canucks farm team be able to develop talent and keep the big club competitive. If the Canucks go on a slide and start the missing the playoffs again, I guarantee that attendance will drop and no one will give one crap that the farm team is in Abbotsford.

I don't believe for one second that Abbotsford is a good location for a minor league system with what the Heat have been through. Abbotsford has the worst travel in the AHL by far, the least amount of practice time and a major issue with injuries. This is not a good situation to bring prospects in and to be quite honest their games are boring as heck to watch.

And while we're on the subject, if the Canucks are stubborn or greedy enough to put a team in Abbotsford, why the heck would they want to brand them the Millionaires and make them wear maroon uniforms? For a team that currently owns the only blue and green colour scheme in the NHL this would be a really stupid marketing plan. The Canucks need to tie into blue and green even more. If anything they should be debut a green and blue third jersey soon to preempt a potential team in Seattle from doing the same.

If they must have a team in Abbotsford call them the Fraser Valley Foresters and give them Johnny Canuck uniforms. The Canucks will have every merchandising corner of the local market covered then.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:49 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkle is Einhorn View Post
Ha beat me, but this is my version:

I think I was the first to propose this, and you totally did it justice! I would buy one if these in a heartbeat!

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:51 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

The Abbotsford Aviators?

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:33 PM
VanTampaFan

I dont think that they would do the old jerseys just from a branding perspective. The canucks colors have a lot more power and I am sure that their marketing angle will be to come and see the "future canucks".

that and I rememer Laurence Gilman being previously interviewed and asked about the AHL affiliate stating that it was either a goal/in the strategic plan to have another team in the BC/Pacific Northwest in "blue green and white". Can't remember exactly which interview sorry but I have an uncanny ability to recollect these things.

VanTampaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:08 PM
GJB
- - - -

Would be fun to give them the old orange, yellow and black with the skate logo!

Not gonna happen but would be fun!

GJB is offline   Reply With Quote