HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Barrie back to Lake Erie

Old
03-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
O'Byrne is terrible at puck retrieval. By far the worst on the team. He is slow and struggles to settle the puck down. Forecheckers put him under pressure all the time.

I think you and me don't have the same definition of what puck retrieval is. To me it's just getting to pucks quickly and getting ready to move it or beating opponents to 50/50 pucks. Not wrestling the puck from an opponent.
Fair enough, O'Byrne is obviously bad at anything that involves moving

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
I still laugh thinking about Vigneault's strategy of getting the puck to O'Byrne and then having his forecheckers block all passing lanes. In one game last year they literally surrounded him, one guy even doing a spin to avoid actually hitting him. It was a brilliant tactic that worked to a T--the Avs offense completely sputtered that night.

Still can't believe there's a guy on Twitter who says both Zanon and O'Byrne have great puck skills. I'm thinking about blocking the guy because of asinine statements like that.

Av-merican is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

vCash: 50
Better than Sacco ruining him.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 04:41 PM
Hesher
down on the upside

vCash: 677
Just unbelievable...

Hesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:42 PM
landesberg
varlamov4ever

0-4-0 since Barrie was sent down.
Outscored 20-9.
Outshot 132-119.

He was scratched vs San Jose and Chicago, but we most definitely could have used him lately...

landesberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:54 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by landesberg View Post
0-4-0 since Barrie was sent down.
Outscored 20-9.
Outshot 132-119.

He was scratched vs San Jose and Chicago, but we most definitely could have used him lately...
Sacco is a master in the ways of the tank.

Nothing like an unwarranted demotion for a player that seemed well-liked by all, to extinguish any hopes of this team getting on a roll and try to make a playoff push.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:53 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Mike Chambers ‏@MChambersDP
#Avalanche leaning towards calling up D man from Lake Erie. Barrie is best guess obviously. Wilson likely back on IR

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Mike Chambers ‏@MChambersDP
#Avalanche leaning towards calling up D man from Lake Erie. Barrie is best guess obviously. Wilson likely back on IR
oooh, more nachos for Tyson!

03-19-2013, 02:58 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Probably Sullivan coming up. If he is injured then Pck or Carey coming up. Trying to mold Carey into a D-man or something

Need more veterans.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:08 PM
henchman24
If and if...

This defense is so glaringly bad at transition, you'd think that Sacco/management would be able to see that Barrie is a possible answer to that problem.

henchman24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
This defense is so glaringly bad at transition, you'd think that Sacco/management would be able to see that Barrie is a possible answer to that problem.
Sacco said just over a week ago that Barrie was seventh/eighth on the depth chart. He'll probably stick Barrie in the press box out of pride/stubbornness.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:33 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Sacco said just over a week ago that Barrie was seventh/eighth on the depth chart. He'll probably stick Barrie in the press box out of pride/stubbornness.
Its **** like this that should get this ass clowned fire. Seriously Barrie is behind Hunwick, Zanon and ROB? Seriously. Based on what? Age? Barrie is better then all 3 of these morons.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:41 PM
henchman24
If and if...

If Barrie is called up, he will play 21-22 minutes his first game back.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Teuras
Registered offender

If Barrie gets another chance to prove himself to Sacco, good things will come

Sacco is the head coach until proven otherwise, just have to live with it

Teuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuras View Post
If Barrie gets another chance to prove himself to Sacco, good things will come
He already did. It's not about merit. It's about trust. For some reason Sacco don't trust Barrie to make mistakes while having endless patience with terrible play from the scrubs.

I think the worse your possession game becomes the more you ask your defenders to clog the lanes and block shots. So using Zanon and O'Byrne reinforces the need to use Zanon and O'Byrne.

Meanwhile, in reality we have a positive shot differential with Barrie/Wilson/EJ/O'Brien on the ice and a negative one with Zanon/Hunwick/O'Byrne. Possession and offense is effective defense.

Coaches are stubborn. They have their guys and their set ways. Carlyle is doing the exact same thing as Sacco with Gardiner.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:55 PM
henchman24
If and if...

I think the Post/beatwriters have pimped their Barrie article about 10-15 times today on twitter.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:08 PM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

If we call Barrie back up and our defense all of a sudden plays well Sacco should just resign.

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Teuras
Registered offender

Quote:
He already did. It's not about merit. It's about trust. For some reason Sacco don't trust Barrie to make mistakes while having endless patience with terrible play from the scrubs.

I think the worse your possession game becomes the more you ask your defenders to clog the lanes and block shots. So using Zanon and O'Byrne reinforces the need to use Zanon and O'Byrne.

Meanwhile, in reality we have a positive shot differential with Barrie/Wilson/EJ/O'Brien on the ice and a negative one with Zanon/Hunwick/O'Byrne. Possession and offense is effective defense.

Coaches are stubborn. They have their guys and their set ways. Carlyle is doing the exact same thing as Sacco with Gardiner.
Yeah I've seen this happen this season. As soon as we start playing defensively we start losing. Mostly because of the players you mentioned. Offense has been our strongest weapon. But you can't play 60 minutes of offense either.. I wouldn't blame it all on Sacco though because it's our defensemen who keep losing the games.

Teuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:14 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
If we call Barrie back up and our defense all of a sudden plays well Sacco should just resign.
My fear is that he will...for another three years. Oh, no hyphen. My bad.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:17 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I think the Post/beatwriters have pimped their Barrie article about 10-15 times today on twitter.
A certain clueless Head Coach needs to see it apparently

Take me to church, I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies. I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife.
RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:18 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:

Only difference is Toronto management actually is getting thrashed by the media for not calling up Jake Gardiner, not playing John-Michael Liles, etc.

The Avs management probably focuses on how the Nuggets will play next game and asks themselves who Tyson Barrie is

dahrougem2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:29 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:

Very good post. Kind of a good way to stay employed if you're a shot-blocker I suppose.

Av-merican is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:31 PM
JoemAvs

Please No. No more rollercoaster for Barrie.

You can bet he will be back to LEM as soon as Wilson is healthy again. And I really do not want to see that. Just keep him away from this "!!"*'"! moron named Sacco. Just pray that we have a new coach next year and than Barrie can really start fresh.

We are tanking anyways. Why make sensible moves now?

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:31 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Only difference is Toronto management actually is getting thrashed by the media for not calling up Jake Gardiner, not playing John-Michael Liles, etc.

The Avs management probably focuses on how the Nuggets will play next game and asks themselves who Tyson Barrie is
That's a problem with our media. The Avs writers wold rather cry about ex players and write ****** pieces on an imaginary rift between Duchene and O'Reilly than actually focusing on the current team. The only current news we seem to get is Dater complaining about Stastny, Kizla begging for Burke to be hired (and last year saying how it's a good idea to trade Duchene), and Chambers telling us Duchene didn't invite O'Reilly to the Nuggets game.

detrude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Honestly, I'd rather give Gaunce a callup to see what he has in him at the NHL level over Barrie right now.

This team is already a complete disaster, even Barrie cant save them. I would rather Barrie stay in the AHL and get to really work on his game. But most importantly I would rather keep Barrie far away from the Clown.

Bring Gaunce up and see if his defensive game is good enough for the NHL. If its not we should ship him as well at the deadline for a pick or something.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote