HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line Combos: now, next year, future, etc

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-09-2013, 09:21 PM
  #26
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Officer Clutterbuck
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,557
vCash: 500
My potential line up:

If we're out at the deadline, I would trade Mark Streit and Josh Bailey to St. Louis for Matt D'Agostini and a 1st round pick. Streit would be a great fit with Pietrangelo. And I'm sorry, but to those of you who have thought that Bailey has been anything but useless you're delusional. This guy can't do anything. He provides no offense, nothing on the PK, nothing at all. I'm done with him, and if he has any chance of being an NHL player it's not going to be on the Islanders.

Another trade I would make: Kyle Okposo, Griffin Reinhart, and Anders Nilsson for Keith Yandle and Brendan Shinnimin. Mike Smith could always falter at any moment, having Nilsson gives them options. Also, Okposo playing under a structured Tippet system would make him better, as well as playing with a center like Antoine Vermette in that system too. Trading Reinhart would be a hard pill to swallow, but we're getting a prime defenseman and Phoenix is getting a top-5 prospect. This is giving up a lot but I feel it's worth it for Keith Yandle.

Re-sign Boyes, Nabokov, C. McDonald, and Visnovsky (I'm getting more optimistic that he could re-sign). Maybe Hickey, depends on what management thinks.

Moulson-Tavares-Boyes
Grabner-Strome-Niederreiter
Ullstrom-Nielsen-D'Agostini
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

Yandle-Hamonic
Strait-Visnovsky
MacDonald-Carkner
Hickey/Donovan/Vet 7th d-man (Vandermeer, Drewiske, etc.)

Nabokov
Poulin

The only thing in that lineup that would worry me is the 2nd line, since they may not be experienced enough to make an impact. It all depends on Strome and Niederreiter impressing at camp and making immediate impacts in the NHL. Personally, I think their chemistry would work based on their playing styles, and Nino has been great in the AHL this year and gaining his confidence back to be a physical, scoring forward in the NHL.

But, that bottom-6 and that defense is the best the Islanders may have had since the lockout.


Last edited by SLAPSHOT723: 03-09-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: added Hickey
SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:22 PM
  #27
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Officer Clutterbuck
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
and you have to calm down with the josh bailey hate
He provides nothing. Nothing. That goal he scored today could have been saved by any goaltender playing his second NHL game. Josh got lucky and found someone that was playing in their first.

What do you want to give him? More time? Play him at the wing more? He's played 15 games this year, and I've seen nothing from him that's impressed me or makes me think he's turning it around.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:25 PM
  #28
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 6,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
He provides nothing. Nothing. That goal he scored today could have been saved by any goaltender playing his second NHL game. Josh got lucky and found someone that was playing in their first.

What do you want to give him? More time? Play him at the wing more? He's played 15 games this year, and I've seen nothing from him that's impressed me or makes me think he's turning it around.
he is a play making winger that is a great pk'er and above average defensively, and he is our most physical top 6 player while being arguably our 2nd most skilled forward

startainfection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:30 PM
  #29
doublechili
Registered User
 
doublechili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,443
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
My potential line up:

If we're out at the deadline, I would trade Mark Streit and Josh Bailey to St. Louis for Matt D'Agostini and a 1st round pick. Streit would be a great fit with Pietrangelo. And I'm sorry, but to those of you who have thought that Bailey has been anything but useless you're delusional. This guy can't do anything. He provides no offense, nothing on the PK, nothing at all. I'm done with him, and if he has any chance of being an NHL player it's not going to be on the Islanders.

Another trade I would make: Kyle Okposo, Griffin Reinhart, and Anders Nilsson for Keith Yandle and Brendan Shinnimin. Mike Smith could always falter at any moment, having Nilsson gives them options. Also, Okposo playing under a structured Tippet system would make him better, as well as playing with a center like Antoine Vermette in that system too. Trading Reinhart would be a hard pill to swallow, but we're getting a prime defenseman and Phoenix is getting a top-5 prospect. This is giving up a lot but I feel it's worth it for Keith Yandle.

Re-sign Boyes, Nabokov, C. McDonald, and Visnovsky (I'm getting more optimistic that he could re-sign). Maybe Hickey, depends on what management thinks.

Moulson-Tavares-Boyes
Grabner-Strome-Niederreiter
Ullstrom-Nielsen-D'Agostini
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

Yandle-Hamonic
Strait-Visnovsky
MacDonald-Carkner
Hickey/Donovan/Vet 7th d-man (Vandermeer, Drewiske, etc.)

Nabokov
Poulin

The only thing in that lineup that would worry me is the 2nd line, since they may not be experienced enough to make an impact. It all depends on Strome and Niederreiter impressing at camp and making immediate impacts in the NHL. Personally, I think their chemistry would work based on their playing styles, and Nino has been great in the AHL this year and gaining his confidence back to be a physical, scoring forward in the NHL.

But, that bottom-6 and that defense is the best the Islanders may have had since the lockout.
If we trade Streit, Bailey, Reinhart, Nilsson and Okposo, and after all that Boyes is still our 1st line RW next year, I don't make those trades.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:22 PM
  #30
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Officer Clutterbuck
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
he is a play making winger that is a great pk'er and above average defensively, and he is our most physical top 6 player while being arguably our 2nd most skilled forward
Who cares if he's skilled? He makes maybe three moves a year that actually work when it matters.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:19 AM
  #31
SI
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 36
vCash: 500
Strait

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Strait deserves minutes over anyone not named Streit or Hamonic. Unless he comes back and plays like total garbage.
Not over Donovan - not at his expense for top 4 d man minutes.

Strait was a very good pick up, but he is not a top 4 d man...
He provides a good rotation and depth.
Strait was "steady, but not spectacular" in a small sample size.


And why is Strait playing over Macdonald again?
How do you think Strait would do with 20+ minutes a night against teams top scoring lines?
We should temper our expectations.

I really like how Hickey has played with progressively more ice time.
With a larger sample size and IMHO I think is a better find than Strait.

SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:46 AM
  #32
Beastrt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post

What do you want to give him? More time? Play him at the wing more? He's played 15 games this year, and I've seen nothing from him that's impressed me or makes me think he's turning it around.
Everyone says he should shoot more he has he is avg 2.26 shots per game, this is 4th on the team after Jt, Moulson and Grabs. Yes this is in a small sample size but, His career high is 1.53 so at least he is shooting more this year. They really need to give him a chance to play with jt his numbers would def increase and get more open looks. Do you really want to not give him a proper chance and him put 50 pts somewhere else?

Beastrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:50 AM
  #33
Seto
New Jersey 5000
 
Seto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,611
vCash: 500
If we resign all the important people, and make no trades we have a decent depth chart.

Bailey will be on the team until there is a kid who plays better than him.

C:
Tavares
Nielsen
Cizikas
Nelson
Strome
Sundstrom

We have to sign another experienced center for the NHL. Hecht, Steckel.

RW:
Boyes
Okposo
Ullstrom/Grabner
McDonald
Kabanov

We are set for the NHL, barely. If Strome plays right wing it looks better.

LW:
Moulson
Ullstrom/Grabner
Bailey
Martin
Niederreiter
Persson
Lee

Set for the NHL. Niederreiter or Lee could easily oust Bailey and push Ullstrom/Grabner down to third line, providing good scoring depth.

D:
Streit
Visnovsky
Hamonic
MacDonald
Strait
Carkner
Reinhart
Hickey
Finley
Donovan

Best depth in a long time. Reinhart and Donovan don't have to play if they are not ready.

G:
Nabokov
Poulin
Nilsson

I don't know


Last edited by Seto: 03-16-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:04 AM
  #34
BEB595
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
Next year, assuming we don't sign any great UFAs...

Moulson Tavares Strome
Grabner Nelson Neidereitter
Bailey Nielson Okposo
Martin Cizikas McDonald
Ullstrom

MacDonald Hamonic
Streit Strait
Carkner Hickey
Donovan DeHaan

Nabokov
Poulin

BEB595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:52 AM
  #35
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,809
vCash: 500
If they don't make two significant additions by the start of next season we need to let them know about it because as I see these rosters with zero help coming from the outside, relying on rookies like Strome, Nelson, and Nino to magically become top end NHL players overnight is fantasy of the highest magnitude.

And if you are one of the apologists or simply want to cut the organization some slack just remember that when we enter next year with a below-floor salary roster that Wang is receiving additional money from the league in the form of a revenue sharing check that they expect him to spend on the roster.

Rookies are the answer.... what a crock of ****.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:07 PM
  #36
BEB595
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
If they don't make two significant additions by the start of next season we need to let them know about it because as I see these rosters with zero help coming from the outside, relying on rookies like Strome, Nelson, and Nino to magically become top end NHL players overnight is fantasy of the highest magnitude.

And if you are one of the apologists or simply want to cut the organization some slack just remember that when we enter next year with a below-floor salary roster that Wang is receiving additional money from the league in the form of a revenue sharing check that they expect him to spend on the roster.

Rookies are the answer.... what a crock of ****.
If we can sign high end talent then I am all for that and letting the rookies get more experience at Bridgeport. However if we just sign mediocre over the hill free agents, I feel like i'd rather just see the young players get NHL experience and grow together instead Of watching stopgaps every year.

There is a risk though of playing too many rookies, resulting in many losses and establishing a culture of losing that has been way too familiar for us islander fans for the past two decades.

Ah, the joy of being an Isles fan.

BEB595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:23 PM
  #37
IslesNorway
Registered User
 
IslesNorway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,794
vCash: 500
I think the Islanders roster for next season is almost set already. Everyone important is under contract or RFA and there aren't a lot of spaces available with McDonald resigned. Maybe we'll see somethng like this

Moulson - Tavares - **
Grabner - Nelson - Nino
Bailey - Nielsen - Okposo
Martin - Cizikas - McDonald

I would assume that Strome is also going to win a spot or at least see some time with the Isles and Ullström is in the mix too of course. Seeing this one can only hope that Snow sees that Okposo or Bailey are surplus to requirements with the likes of Kabanov also pushing for a place.

The defense is also more or less set:

Hamonic - MacDonald
Strait - **
Carkner - **

Assuming that either Streit or Visnovsky are resigned it leaves just one open spot for either Reinhart, Donovan, Hickey or Finley.

In other words, not a very exciting offesason coming up...

IslesNorway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:52 PM
  #38
Islanders1932
Registered User
 
Islanders1932's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,337
vCash: 500
I'm really trying to think what the Islanders will do.

I'm not expecting the Islanders to make any big moves, but I am a little scared with the lineup I put together just based on the fact that it involves two rookies on the same line.

Moulson - Tavares - (Boyes)
Grabner - (Nelson/Strome) - Nino
(Bailey) - Nielsen - Okposo*
Martin - Cizikas - McDonald

Vis - (Streit)
Hamonic - MacDonald
Carkner* - Strait

() - Guys who I think will be signed/brought up, but I don't necessarily agree personally with it/would rather someone else be in that spot for next year
* - Guys who are already signed that will most likely be in the lineup, but I don't agree with and would rather see another person

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:04 PM
  #39
leaponover
Registered User
 
leaponover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iskan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,516
vCash: 500
Definitely agree a team without Josh Bailey is favorable!!

Moulson, Tavares, Strome
Okposo, Nielsen, Neiderreiter
Nelson, Cizikas, Grabner
Martin, Ulstrom, Persson


I don't know, many wingers and centerman out of place though. Don't know how position juggling would go!!

I don't feel like messing with Defense, until I see more of the prospects i'm not really that happy with it...

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:07 PM
  #40
Sheva7
Registered User
 
Sheva7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 984
vCash: 463
Here's my 2013/14 (realistic) Roster...

Moulson - JT - KO
Bailey - Nielsen - Grabner
Martin - Cizikas - Nino
McDonald - Nelson - JJ

(Strome plays full year in AHL)

Streit - Strait
Hamonic - Macdonald
Hickey - Carkner

Nabby
DP

Pretty good eh? LOL Can't wait!!! Hahaha

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:22 AM
  #41
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SI View Post
Moulson-JT-Nino (possibly Strome, but he starts at the AHL. Also is Nino ready for 1st line duty?)
Grabner - Fransie - Okposo
Ullstrom - Nelson - Bailey
Martin - Cizikas - McDonald/Joensuu
final forward spot goes to an enforcer let's say Boulton.

Donovan - Hamonic
Macdonald - ?????? (Streit - if he is resigned)
Hickey - Carkner
Strait - Finley or possibly Reinhart

Here is a thought... Reinhart makes the team Finley gets sent down (he still has an option I believe).
* Reinhart turns 20 in January 2014, SO Here is my thinking - Reinhart makes the big league club through december playing those 12 -13 minutes that Carkner and Finley play as a 6... december comes around and the Isles allow him to play in the WJC - he comes back - turns 20 and if Griffin can't hang in the bigs, he can then be sent to Bridgeport to get more minutes for the rest of the season.
Since Nino did so well on lines 2-4, why not promote him to JT's wing? Nino breathes fire, slays Al Queda and makes deaf lepers musicians. He's Biblical IMHO. No where but UP for this dynamo.

Seriously, if we're playing to win, Nino fights to even get 4th line. Strome is AHL bound and nowhere else unless he blows away the PROS in camp and exhibition. Reinhart we don't even send X-mas cards to nevermind let him know where camp is. He's gotta develop more, especially offensively, and that's in juniors. Then he has to show the complete package in the AHL. Then....we have a successfully developed defensive ace or Dehaan redux. I side with the former with Reinhart.

I like Franz in 2nd line center until Nelson can TAKE the slot.

But I want a top level winger brought in via UFA or trade if we wanna stop playing patty cake perennial loser joke franchise games and start mirroring Boston, St.Louis, LA and Philly, who ALL rebuilt and got successful.

And that would imply we talked to top coaches for a job opening.


Unless Nino can do that, too after becoming the Argintinian wonder of the Vatican. (Cardinal Petrov hopefully can come along for the ride under coach Nino

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:18 PM
  #42
steveat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,800
vCash: 500
Realistically, there will be no "big" transactions. Meaning, no trades and no UFAs. The only difference we are going to see next year is more of the same thing. The difference will be which team they play for..NYI or BPort.

We are preparing ourselves for "depth"

Moulson - Tavares - Boyes/maybe Petrov
Bailey - Nielsen - McDonald (opens u more room and is like a mini pwr forward, but no fighting)
Grabner - our only real missing spot (maybe Aucoin/Sundstrom?) - Kabanov
Martin - Cizikas - Okbozo

I can't tell u who will play what line for defence. The guys we need to count on are not playing well this year like amac and hammer. I think hammer has more goals on his own net this year than in the oppositions net.

Who will be on the tea next year?

Amac
Hammer
Strait
Streit
Reinhart
Carks
Finley/Hickey/Donovan/Ness/*****ton (depth)

Why I think Reinhart will play next year? The guys hockey IQ is off the charts. He is missing a bit of weight to his frame, but so is D Hamilton and so far he looks good. When Pokka and Pelech make it to Bport...we are going to have a seriously DEEP system for defence.

VIZ is NOT coming back. You don't go making a huge stink about not wanting to leave home and then the following year change your mind and we aren't going to pay him what he would want.

steveat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:48 PM
  #43
JawandaPuck
Moderator
Lost Art of Dynasty
 
JawandaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,300
vCash: 500
I've been out of the loop for the last couple weeks. What is the current alignment of forward lines and defense pairings deployed by Coach Capuano? (It's obviously working half decent...5-3-2 in last 10.)

__________________
Follow JawandaPuck on Twitter and Blogspot - all revenue from Google Ads is donated to the Canucks for Kids Fund (CFKF) in support of the Canucks Autism Network (CAN).
JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:18 PM
  #44
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Officer Clutterbuck
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,557
vCash: 500
I don't see Nelson making the team unless Nielsen is traded. Nelson's not going to be a 2nd line center in this league, he'll be more of a high end 3rd line center like Jordan Staal. Plus, I'd like to see Strome at center, not wing.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:19 PM
  #45
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Officer Clutterbuck
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
I've been out of the loop for the last couple weeks. What is the current alignment of forward lines and defense pairings deployed by Coach Capuano? (It's obviously working half decent...5-3-2 in last 10.)
Moulson-Tavares-Boyes
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Cizikas-Aucoin-McDonald
Martin-Reasoner-Ullstrom
ex: Grabner (hurt)

MacDonald-Hamonic
Hickey-Visnovsky
Streit-Martinek

Nabokov
Poulin

Ullstrom is hurt, so the lines are going to change.


Last edited by SLAPSHOT723: 03-19-2013 at 05:43 PM.
SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:23 PM
  #46
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,917
vCash: 50
Slapshot, where is Martin?

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:42 PM
  #47
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Officer Clutterbuck
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Slapshot, where is Martin?
Whoops, not sure how I messed that up. Grabner's hurt, replace him with Martin. I'll edit my post now.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:40 PM
  #48
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,917
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Whoops, not sure how I messed that up. Grabner's hurt, replace him with Martin. I'll edit my post now.
It's all good. I like the idea of Nelson as a premium third line center. He's a big kid who can win faceoffs, play in all zones, and can score, but I think Frans could be a fit on this team as a third line winger. Frans can do a lot and he is one of the versatile players that you don't trade away unless he is pushed out of the lineup. Time will tell, I guess.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:45 PM
  #49
19NYSports91
Registered User
 
19NYSports91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Moulson-Tavares-Boyes
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Cizikas-Aucoin-McDonald
Martin-Reasoner-Ullstrom
ex: Grabner (hurt)

MacDonald-Hamonic
Hickey-Visnovsky
Streit-Martinek

Nabokov
Poulin

Ullstrom is hurt, so the lines are going to change.
Why the hell is Cizikas on the wing?

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:03 AM
  #50
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEB595 View Post
If we can sign high end talent then I am all for that and letting the rookies get more experience at Bridgeport. However if we just sign mediocre over the hill free agents, I feel like i'd rather just see the young players get NHL experience and grow together instead Of watching stopgaps every year.

There is a risk though of playing too many rookies, resulting in many losses and establishing a culture of losing that has been way too familiar for us islander fans for the past two decades.

Ah, the joy of being an Isles fan.
This is exactly what is going to happen next year. But that is to be expected. At a minimum they should get Travis and Tavares real help, but they won't because it would cost money.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.