HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Will the Flyers make the playoffs in 2014?

Old
03-19-2013, 04:43 PM
briererocks

vCash: 500
Will the Flyers make the playoffs in 2014?

I think the consensus is that the Flyers will rebuild through the draft etc.. and make the playoffs next year. I do not see it.

Even if they draft Jones and even if he makes the team next year, he is not going to be an impactful player for them as a rookie. Similarly, it is unrealistic to assume that if they somehow sign Sustr that he will be an asset as a rookie. Also, bear in mind that Timonen is only getting older. On the free agent front, it is hard to see a player that is really to going to help them.

The Flyers are right now healthy and still look pretty bad. I do not see things changing next year, unless Laviolette is fired and they put in a new system. If Lavi is still coaching next year I do not see why the results would be any different.

Thoughts?

briererocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:49 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

It's an extremely deep club in terms of forwards. As well, the defense (on paper) isn't as bad as what people are making it out to be. The problem is the coaching - Laviolette is trying to utilize a system that he doesn't have the personnel to run. They need to be a more defensive oriented club and he's got them playing run and gun hockey.

The moment Laviolette gets replaced and they bring in a coach that's going to stress defensive responsibility, things will change. I don't think a big blow up will be required to get things back on track.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:54 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by briererocks View Post
I think the consensus is that the Flyers will rebuild through the draft etc.. and make the playoffs next year. I do not see it.

Even if they draft Jones and even if he makes the team next year, he is not going to be an impactful player for them as a rookie. Similarly, it is unrealistic to assume that if they somehow sign Sustr that he will be an asset as a rookie. Also, bear in mind that Timonen is only getting older. On the free agent front, it is hard to see a player that is really to going to help them.

The Flyers are right now healthy and still look pretty bad. I do not see things changing next year, unless Laviolette is fired and they put in a new system. If Lavi is still coaching next year I do not see why the results would be any different.

Thoughts?
I think this team is a playoff team on paper. If everybody was playing up to their abilities we would be in the playoff picture right now.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I would say yes, but there's still a 50/50 chance the front office does something stupid.

03-19-2013, 05:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Way to early to say. A lot can change in this league pretty quick.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:31 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
It's an extremely deep club in terms of forwards. As well, the defense (on paper) isn't as bad as what people are making it out to be. The problem is the coaching - Laviolette is trying to utilize a system that he doesn't have the personnel to run. They need to be a more defensive oriented club and he's got them playing run and gun hockey.

The moment Laviolette gets replaced and they bring in a coach that's going to stress defensive responsibility, things will change. I don't think a big blow up will be required to get things back on track.
this is my conclusion. this team is well built. its just not being led in the right direction. it don't look like it, but were right there.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:37 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Way to early to say. A lot can change in this league pretty quick.
Yeah that's true. All it takes is one dumb trade by Homer and we're looking at the same thing again next year.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:43 PM
McNasty

Look at the clubs in the playoffs now, Ottawa, Toronto, Winnipeg, New Jersey, Montreal. Do those teams have significantly more talented rosters?

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:43 PM
snoop88

after watching 2007-2008 turnaround, never say never

snoop88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:06 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

what am i a fortune teller?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:18 PM
zarley zelepukin

I'd say yes. There is talent on the roster and a lot of it is young. A lot of the guys we're counting on still have room to get better, and the guys that are older are probably not going to fall off a cliff in terms of production. I know Kimmo is near the end, but I think he's still got some gas left in the tank.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:35 PM
FlyersFan61290

definitely. Btw briere most certainly does not rock

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:44 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Depends who s in goal and who the new coach is ?

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:29 PM
daynus

you should have made this a poll

vote yes. no comparison to the 07 team. this team is way way better than that 07 mess. when the new coach is in place, this is gonna be like the 2011-2012 team talent wise. and used properly this team with the new draft picks from 13 is gonna be flat out lethal. as for goalies, chicago spent 3.5M on their 2 starters and it worked out well for them.well regular season anyways. its not a must to have a clear cut starting goalie. i would go cheaper in goalies, get 2 guys that get along well. and develop a system where the goalie gets a nice amount of support. and be shocked at the numbers they put up. something crazy a combined 2.35 gaa, .919 save %.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:30 AM
dats81

If they do not wait until the offseason to replace Lavi but install a new Coach and system asap to give the players some time to adjust before the next season kicks in, I see them making the playoffs.

The gaping hole in defense, i.e. transitional game, will remain an issue unless they actually get Seth Jones and he puts up a Couturier-esque rookie season or Homer finds a way to fool any other GM in a deal for a player like Bogosian.

dats81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:53 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Way too early to speculate. I'm sure we ALL know, a team can rapidly change course in what almost seems overnight sometimes. In fact, the face of the franchise could even change overnight. We don't know what the roster is going to look like next season, or what's going on at all, for that matter.

But I'll play to your tune. Seeing as it's a 50/50 question/answer. They will make the playoffs, they will not. I'm wishfully saying they will.

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 05:07 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
A couple of things have to change if this team is going to get into a playoff spot next year.

First, the coaching staff either needs to adjust to a more conservative system, or they need to go. The personnel that they currently have just can't thrive under Lavy's run and gun system. A simpler game plan would go a long way in cutting down on the ridiculous amount of turnovers and bad decisions.

Bryz needs to play better, point blank. He just hasn't gotten it done consistently enough since he's been in Philadelphia for the team to succeed. Part of that is the coaching style exposing him, but he's also been a far cry from the top ten goalie the Flyers thought they were getting.

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 03-20-2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: deleted quoted post
flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:10 PM
kicksave27

With the talent they have, there is no reason why they should be this bad this year. Yes, they've had injuries, but they've also played like crap for 90% of the games this year. They are an offensive team that just doesn't score, which is not good.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote