HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks at the Trade Deadline

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
So apparently we're on Iginla's 3-5 team trade list, per McKenzie.
Can't see a fit there at the price the Flames will be asking. Two years ago I would have been all over it...I think he's the perfect last piece to the puzzle. I'll guess he goes to Pittsburgh.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think Iginla is much, much better idea than Gaborik. Although I highly doubt the Flames move him here.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:25 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Wow. He must want to play with the Sedins.

I would inquire about Iginla, just not empty the cupboards for the guy. If we could work a deal around Booth, 1st rd pick and Gaunce, I would probably do it. Just don't unload multiple assets like Kassian, Jensen, Tanev, Hansen.

You have to think whoever gets him will get him re-signed as well. Makes a steep price more acceptable.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

Quote:
I'd be shocked if he went somewhere other than Pitt or Boston.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:29 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post

I would inquire about Iginla, just not empty the cupboards for the guy. If we could work a deal around Booth, 1st rd pick and Gaunce, I would probably do it. Just don't unload multiple assets like Kassian, Jensen, Tanev, Hansen.

You have to think whoever gets him will get him re-signed as well. Makes a steep price more acceptable.
I'd be ok with that if the 1st was conditional upon him re-signing.

Old
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:

Booth seems like the perfect fit for Calgary. Overpaid and underperforming

Old
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds81 View Post
I'd be shocked if he went somewhere other than Pitt or Boston.
Man, the idea of Iginla going to Boston makes me want to throw up - but Boston has a lot of pieces that would make them a good trade partner with Calgary, IMO.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Yeah, Roy is a great player. He's easily been the best possession player on his team each of the last two seasons and wasn't far off prior to that. He's also shown an ability in the past to be a good PP producer, which is something the Canucks could probably use in Kesler's absence moreso than a good EV producer.

The problem with someone like Grabovski is that the Canucks have next to no cap space next offseason. Any salary they add now just comes at the expense of other players currently on the roster. They are basically going to have to trim off the non-contributors to get compliant as it stands, and so with someone like Grabovski, that upgrade is offset by the fact that they need to shed even more talent. The team just doesn't get much bang for their buck trading Luongo for a player making market rate.
Then dump some salary. If we're not adding a player like Grabovski because guys like Ballard and Booth are earning too much...the path forward seems pretty ****ing clear to me.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
Booth seems like the perfect fit for Calgary. Overpaid and underperforming
I could actually see Feaster interested in Booth. Even if he deals Iginla he won't strip everything down to nothing IMO. It will be a re-tool, something Booth could be a part of. Mason Raymond is another guy I could see them having interest in, probably moreso than Booth.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

I wouldn't give up more than Jensen, cap dump (Ballard or Booth), and a conditional 1st.
Condition being that Iginla re-signs, otherwise it becomes a 2nd.

And even then I'm not 100% sure about it.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
03-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
I could actually see Feaster interested in Booth. Even if he deals Iginla he won't strip everything down to nothing IMO. It will be a re-tool, something Booth could be a part of. Mason Raymond is another guy I could see them having interest in, probably moreso than Booth.
Yeah I could definitely see Calgary making Raymond a really good offer. Hometown boy and all.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:37 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Hey, Orpheus!

no thanks to iginla. he can go cherry-pick with another team

Old
03-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Just a random note, Iginla isn't half bad at faceoffs.
He's at 49.6% for the season, with over 200 faceoffs.

If pigs were to fly and we acquire Iggy, do you think Burrows would be bumped off the Sedin line?

Old
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Yeah, Roy is a great player. He's easily been the best possession player on his team each of the last two seasons and wasn't far off prior to that. He's also shown an ability in the past to be a good PP producer, which is something the Canucks could probably use in Kesler's absence moreso than a good EV producer.

The problem with someone like Grabovski is that the Canucks have next to no cap space next offseason. Any salary they add now just comes at the expense of other players currently on the roster. They are basically going to have to trim off the non-contributors to get compliant as it stands, and so with someone like Grabovski, that upgrade is offset by the fact that they need to shed even more talent. The team just doesn't get much bang for their buck trading Luongo for a player making market rate.
It's amazing how 1 off year can sway people's perceptions of a player. There probably aren't 15 players in the NHL that have produced more than Roy over the last 7 years, even including his down year last year. And he's been quite durable as well, which is extremely valuable.

IMO Gillis should only entertain Grabovski if Nonis swallows $1.25-1.5mil of his contract. It would cost the team Booth but that's a good tradeoff IMO because Grabo is a natural centremen, is more productive and stronger defensively as well. Good engine too, to go along with Burrows, Kesler and Hansen's relentless puck pursuit. He would fit AV's system well.

I would much prefer to see the team carry a bunch of natural centremen that are forced to play on the wing like the Bruins do than be in a position like the Hawks/Canucks that have a winger move over to the middle whenever a top 9 centre goes down with injury.

Old
Luck 6
\\_______

TO CGY
Jensen
Ballard
1st
3rd

TO VAN
Iginla
Babchuk

----------

TO FLO
2nd

TO VAN
Goc

------

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Iginla
Higgins-Goc-Hansen
Weise-Lapierre-Kassian
Schroeder, Booth (IR)

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Garrison-Babchuk
Alberts, Barker

Schneider/Luongo

Iginla would solidify our 2nd line and our 1st unit PP. He's a perfect fit, essentially. Babchuk provides us with another option on the PP as hes another big shot that is right handed. Goc is our Malhotra replacement that pushes Lapierre down to the 4th line where he belongs, Schroeder is then used as injury depth. It's a lot to give up... But if we really want to push for the cup, this may be the cost. Booth would stay on LTIR to make the cap work, but he could jump into the line-up after playoffs start as well.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
Yeah I could definitely see Calgary making Raymond a really good offer. Hometown boy and all.
You have to imagine the Flames go hard after Raymond now or in free agency either way. He's a useful enough player in his own right, but they've seen the best possible version of him on their home ice.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:

If pigs were to fly and we acquire Iggy, do you think Burrows would be bumped off the Sedin line?
I believe he's usually around a 55% faceoff man. Him and Ott are probably the 2 best faceoff wingers in the league.

IMO you have to play Iginla with the Sedins. He's a sniper that would thrive on all the offensive zone faceoffs with 2 playmaking linemates. He may not be able to create as much as he did in his prime but the shot is still there. The bodyguard effect would also play into the decision.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Momesso

It's just weird with Iggy. Are the Flames selling now?

I thought they were planning to contend?

Old
03-19-2013, 05:46 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 1200
Quote:

They'd definitely experiment with him on the Sedin line, I can see him beginning there on the PP and then some ES shifts.

Acquiring Iggy would ultimately make the 2nd line more dangerous offensively, which is something this team absolutely needs. Is he too slow to keep up with those guys? That remains to be seen but the team isn't exactly killing with speed like they used to be able to.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Iginla
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Weise-Lapierre-Kassian

Seems like a fairly potent line up. Leaves the 3rd line C and a shut-down defender/PP QB to be added on the back end. Could also look like

Sedin-Sedin-Iginla
Raymond-Schroeder/XXX-Hansen
Burrows-Kesler-Higgins

If Iginla is acquired I expect Gillis will be going all out this post-season, a risky move that diverges from the Detroit model, but you don't acquire a 7M pending UFA if you aren't making a run for the cup.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Iginla would also probably be a good mentor for Kassian.
If we could re-sign Iginla to a decent price as well, I'd be ecstatic.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:48 PM
canuck4life16

Raymond K-Con Ballard , and Ebbert and 1st round pick (Conditional if Canucks win cup)

Old
03-19-2013, 05:48 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

I really think Calgary will ship him east, or at the very least, out of division. But if they are willing to deal I would go for it, IF Gillis is confident that we can resign him

Old
03-19-2013, 05:49 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Iginla would also probably be a good mentor for Kassian.
If we could re-sign Iginla to a decent price as well, I'd be ecstatic.
my thoughts exactly

Old
03-19-2013, 05:50 PM
canuck4life16

Calgary fan would burn down their own city if Iginla goes to Vancouver.......

Old
03-19-2013, 05:53 PM
StringerBell

I would look at doing Booth/Ballard, Gaunce and a 1st for Iggy + conditional 2nd (2014) on him re-signing.

Closed Thread