HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2013 NHL TV Ratings

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 02:48 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhounds View Post
Sure hope NBC reconsiders those early starts. After watching the Saturday late games, and catching up on sleep, its' tough to watch a game at half past noon next day. And I'm on the east coast. It must be ridiculous for west coasters.
As long as they have golf to air, they won't be moving it up.

Golf got a 4.7, BTW. That's 1.7 greater nationally than Bulls/Lakers was.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:58 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
I just don't understand this. Does pro golf really have that big an audience? Is it a matter of having 1 main event rather than 30 teams?

Old
03-11-2013, 03:25 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Pretty much. NASCAR beat that out by .5 as well.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:29 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I just don't understand this. Does pro golf really have that big an audience? Is it a matter of having 1 main event rather than 30 teams?
Was it a big tournament?

I know some countries have bigger followings for individual sports compared to team base. One example is Norway, who does have a big following in both football and hockey, but the country's number one sport is ski jumping and other forms of skiing.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:37 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I know some countries have bigger followings for individual sports compared to team base. One example is Norway, who does have a big following in both football and hockey, but the country's number one sport is ski jumping and other forms of skiing.
My perception of the North American audience is the opposite -- team sports get the most interest, and with rare exceptions the biggest individual stars are in the team sports.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:58 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
My perception of the North American audience is the opposite -- team sports get the most interest, and with rare exceptions the biggest individual stars are in the team sports.
I definitely agree that North Americans prefer team base sports. May be even Central and South America as well. That is why I asked if the golf tourney was a major one to get THAT good of ratings.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Greyhounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
As long as they have golf to air, they won't be moving it up.

Do they show golf every week?

Old
03-11-2013, 04:09 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhounds View Post
Do they show golf every week?
Most weeks, maybe 3 out of 4 I'd guess. They don't have The Masters, coming up in a few weeks, and usually there is a playoff doubleheader that day. So maybe we'll get a regular season DH on that day.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Tinalera

Golf gets pretty big ratings, even the smaller tournaments get quite a few eyes. Golf also is a "4 day" event, starts on Thurs, goes to Sunday for a lot of tournaments. Not surprised it gets the ratings it does.

I think it's because a lot of people play golf, and it's easy to aspire/dream that "hey I just have to work on my game and I have a chance at the pros!" Okay, that's simplistic, but it isn't like a team sport where you have to be drafted, you can play a lot and try and work your way to the "qualification" tourneys if you get good enough (but have to be very good just to get a sniff of qualification tourney)

Old
03-11-2013, 04:48 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Was it a big tournament?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Golf gets pretty big ratings, even the smaller tournaments get quite a few eyes. Golf also is a "4 day" event, starts on Thurs, goes to Sunday for a lot of tournaments. Not surprised it gets the ratings it does.*

I think it's because a lot of people play golf, and it's easy to aspire/dream that "hey I just have to work on my game and I have a chance at the pros!" Okay, that's simplistic, but it isn't like a team sport where you have to be drafted, you can play a lot and try and work your way to the "qualification" tourneys if you get good enough (but have to be very good just to get a sniff of qualification tourney)
Tiger was in contention.

That tells you all you need to know. OH, and he won.
Golf ratings explode when Tiger's in it on Sunday, and especially if he's leading.
even I was all over it.. and i don't watch normally... Only when the leaders are of some interest... Els, Mickelson, Bubba, etc.. and especially Tiger.

Old
03-14-2013, 04:55 PM
CanadaIsHockey

Blackhawks Ratings Lower Post-Streak, But Still Strong

Quote:
Friday’s Blackhawks/Avalanche NHL regular season game, the Blackhawks’ first regulation loss of the 2013 season, earned a 5.20 rating on CSN+ in the Chicago market. The game marked the end of the Blackhawks’ record 24-game points streak. On Sunday, Oilers/Blackhawks — the Blackhawks’ second-straight loss — earned a 6.08 on CSN Chicago. Though both games fell short of the Blackhawks’ recent run of record ratings (seven games this season earned higher ratings than Sunday’s game), the numbers still topped all Blackhawks games on CSN prior to this season. (Comcast)

Rangers Trouncing Devils, Islanders

Quote:
To the surprise of few, the New York Rangers are easily the top NHL draw in the New York market. So far this season, Rangers games have averaged a 1.80 rating on MSG Network, topping the Devils (0.55) by 227% and the Islanders (0.47) by 283%. All three teams are up over 65% compared to last year’s full-season averages. (MSG Network)
Source: http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2013...college-hoops/

Old
03-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Jax1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupChamps2011 View Post
The Bruins are averaging a 7 on NESN and the Celtics are averaging a 3 on CSNNE.

Sources:
Celtics rating: http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jou.../NBA-RSNs.aspx
Bruins rating: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...#axzz2LXScFAQl
Few points:

1) Bruins games will be inflated naturally due to a later start and fewer games.
2) Celtic ratings at 3 are very good, top 5 in the NBA.
3) Back 4 years ago Bruins were under 3 in the low 2's
4) Bruins ratings are beating the Red Sox

So again the Bruins ratings are quite good but let's not go overboard and claim it is a hockeytown way before it is a basketball town.
Bruins are just experiencing a big high.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Fenway

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
Few points:

1) Bruins games will be inflated naturally due to a later start and fewer games.
2) Celtic ratings at 3 are very good, top 5 in the NBA.
3) Back 4 years ago Bruins were under 3 in the low 2's
4) Bruins ratings are beating the Red Sox

So again the Bruins ratings are quite good but let's not go overboard and claim it is a hockeytown way before it is a basketball town.
Bruins are just experiencing a big high.
More on Boston

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...LiM/story.html

Old
03-15-2013, 01:55 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Over 250K Chicago mrkt TV homes were tuned to @CSNChicago during the OT/SO time period (8:30-8:45p) to watch the #Blackhawks win again
https://twitter.com/JeffNuich/status/312579364090961921

Old
03-15-2013, 11:36 PM
ebox99

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2013...aespn-dukeunc/

Bruins on Pace For Record, Beating Celts and Sox

Boston Bruins games have averaged a 7.0 rating on NESN so far this season, on pace to shatter last year’s full-season record of 4.7. By comparison, the Celtics averaged a 3.1 on Comcast SportsNet New England during the first half of the NBA season, and the Red Sox averaged a 6.4* on NESN during the 2012 MLB campaign. (NESN)

Old
03-18-2013, 12:03 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
More good ratings for Chicago...

Quote:
@JeffNuich: .@CSNChicago was the #1 network in the Chicago mrkt among households for Saturday night's 8-1 #Blackhawks win over #Stars (7:00-9:45pm)
https://twitter.com/jeffnuich/status/313691500141752320

Quote:
@JeffNuich: OFFICAL: The Top 20 highest-rated #Blackhawks reg season gms in Chicago sports net history have now all occurred THIS season on @CSNChicago
https://twitter.com/jeffnuich/status/313692647812378624

Old
03-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Nicky Santoro

the bos/pit game got a 1.2.

to me, that is so amazing. i expected a 0.6. reason why... now it was ST PATRICK'S day parade in boston where close to 1 million attended. i just don't see anyone in BOS not going to this parade for the game. now can you imagine if there was no parade that day, just how big that rating would have been?

despite losing the hundred's of thousands of bos viewers, nbc still managed to get 1.2. i think if st patty's wasn't sunday, it would have broke or come very close to the 1.9 record NBC got 2 weeks ago with CHI/DET..

oh and there was also 2 big final day college basketball games on at same time that drew big #'s.. so considering all this, this game on NBC did great.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:38 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
the bos/pit game got a 1.2.

to me, that is so amazing. i expected a 0.6. reason why... now it was ST PATRICK'S day parade in boston where close to 1 million attended. i just don't see anyone in BOS not going to this parade for the game. now can you imagine if there was no parade that day, just how big that rating would have been?

despite losing the hundred's of thousands of bos viewers, nbc still managed to get 1.2. i think if st patty's wasn't sunday, it would have broke or come very close to the 1.9 record NBC got 2 weeks ago with CHI/DET..

oh and there was also 2 big final day college basketball games on at same time that drew big #'s.. so considering all this, this game on NBC did great.
No it wouldn't.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:41 AM
DoggyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchex View Post
You can't understand MLB's TV situation if you ignore the local cable deals. Just looking at the national broadcasts is an apples and oranges comparison.

Didn't the Dodgers just sign a $7B/25 year local cable deal in LA? I think the Lakers only got $3B for 20 years. Amazing that the Dodgers, who haven't won a pennant in 25 years, get almost 2x as much local revenue as the perennial NBA superpower Lakers.
I don't watch the NBA or MLB and know very little about cable vs national deals but the NBA plays 72 games and MLB plays 162. In addition to that I would bet the Lakers lose more games to the national broadcaster than the Dodgers do.

All things being equal (no games lost to national broadcasts), the Dodgers get ~$43 Million per broadcast while Lakers get ~$41 Million per broadcast. Of course that doesn't include the fact that the Dodgers deal is for a Dodgers channel...TWC gets more than just the games...they get all the extra programming they can broadcast on the channel that is Dodger related.

Last edited by DoggyII: 03-19-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old
03-19-2013, 09:43 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyII View Post
I don't watch the NBA or MLB and know very little about cable vs national deals but the NBA plays 72 games and MLB plays 162. In addition to that I would bet the Lakers lose more games to the national broadcaster than the Dodgers do.

All things being equal (no games lost to national broadcasts), the Dodgers get ~$43 Million per broadcast while Lakers get ~$41 Million per broadcast.
NBA plays 82, same as NHL.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:55 AM
DoggyII

Told you I don't pay attention That's like 81 games too many for my taste!

I looked it up, TWC loses 12 home games to TNT and ABC this year so TWC got 70 broadcasts. My number still bascially stands: So change the revenue to ~$43 Million per game (same as Dodgers but without all the extra programming).

Last edited by DoggyII: 03-19-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old
03-19-2013, 05:39 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/3/1...hl-season-ever

NBCSN on pace for best season ever
Quote:
According to Sports Business Daily (subscription required), NBC Sports Network is currently averaging a 0.3 rating (up 50 percent from 2011-12) and 448,000 viewers (up 35 percent) through 27 telecasts, with the viewership on pace to set a record for whatever NBCSN has been called (VERSUS/OLN) since it acquired NHL rights in 2005. Meanwhile, Wednesday night games have proven especially beneficial, as the network's Wednesday Night Rivalry series averages 682,000 viewers per week.

Old
03-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Any info on how that compares to the final years of their ESPN2 deal? I believe it's surpassed those ESPN numbers, correct?

Old
03-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Dawg View Post
Any info on how that compares to the final years of their ESPN2 deal? I believe it's surpassed those ESPN numbers, correct?
that's a great question, my friend. i too would like to know if hockey today has bigger tv ratings than it did in 2004.

if it was possible, i would have also love to have known if hockey today has bigger ratings than it did in the 80's and early 90's when hockey games were fun and wide open and games were 6-4 finals instead of 3-1 like today. i wonder if more americans watched hockey during that time when Mario and Wayne made hockey so fun and 6 players each yr had 150+ pts, unlike today.

it's too bad there isn't a graph on popularity of hockey in the U.S from 1950 to now.. i've always wondered if hockey was alwys the 4th popular sport in america, or was it maybe 2nd when it was original 6 back in the 50's and 60's with Beliveau, rocket, Hull, Orr, Espo, Howe, etc....

anyhow buddy, great question and hopefully someone will be able to answer your question.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:46 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Hockey was NOT number 2 when only 4 American cities had teams...

Closed Thread