Visitors Guide to the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex

Old
03-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
Ya prob. I just thoughtI heard it was illegal. I might be thinking of a story about theNFL trying to stop it for the Super Bowl.
I have no clue. I know many people around here don't care about the local laws though. (cigarettes in bars and pot coming to my mind first)

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:08 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
I have no clue. I know many people around here don't care about the local laws though. (cigarettes in bars and pot coming to my mind first)
Lol sounds like Austin.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:45 PM
compan

Wow thanks for all the responses haha, wasn't expecting that many. Maybe I'm just used to the people up here! From the research I tried to do, I definitely want to live in the North Dallas area (?). I heard McKinney Ave was a good place to start from one of my drivers when I went for my interview.

The shops at legacy, is that the complex around all of the corporate offices?

As for who asked where I am coming from, I am coming from outside Boston in the Framingham area. Not too close to Stoneham. That's north of the city whereas I am coming from west of the city.

Kind of what I'm hoping for is an area suitable for a single mid-20s guy coming from a new city (I feel we're all on the same page here ) where I can walk to a lot of places. My current commute to work is 25-30 min so I can definitely stick with that range. Would Addison and McKinney or that place near the AAC fit those?

Again, thanks for all the responses! I've noticed so far a lot of Texans are certainly very helpful and nice. Definitely more so than I'm used to up here!

compan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by compan View Post
The shops at legacy, is that the complex around all of the corporate offices?

My current commute to work is 25-30 min so I can definitely stick with that range. Would Addison and McKinney or that place near the AAC fit those?
http://shopsatlegacy.com/ - Shops at Legacy

You should be able to keep that commute time no matter where you stay in the Dallas area (well outside of like super North or South Metroplex area). But honestly, it all depends on the time of day.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:26 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

McKinney Ave is great. It will be pricey but it has a lot to offer. Close to the heart of Dallas which makes it easy to get anywhere. Walk ability is okay for bars/high end restaurants and minimal shopping at west village. Closest mall is Northpark Center, upscale mall.

Shops at Legacy is located right off Dallas North Tollway at Legacy. It has various restaurants and an arts movie theater. Walk ability is limited to only the shops themselves. It's about 15-20 minute drive to downtown during non rush hour. There are a lot of corporate offices located around there such as JCPenney, HP formerly EDS, Dr Pepper/snapple group just to name a few. Closest mall is Stonebriar Mall, nice mall in Frisco.

Both have large numbers of recent college grads.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:11 AM
compan

Money aside, if everyone in this thread was in the 24-27 age range as a single guy in a new city (will not know anybody) that wants to be in the middle of it all, which of these areas would you choose:

Addison
McKinney Ave (if so, where exactly on this Ave is the best?)
Oak Lawn
Legacy
Downtown

Thanks again everyone for your help. It's so hard to decide not knowing the area at all

Old
03-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

Taking into account your age, work location, and want for scene

1. Addison. 15-30 minute drive at worst to Plano regardless of traffic, reasonably priced, good scene, in between Uptown/McKinney Ave and Plano meaning it isn't much of a trek to go out in any area,
2. Uptown/McKinney Ave/Downtown/Oak Lawn. Expensive, Will take you 30 minutes with no traffic to get to work and up to 1h+ with traffic, best scene
3. Shops at Legacy. Won't have to worry about commute or traffic, cheaper than the other options, decent but smaller scale bar scene

I live in Frisco, which is the town that borders Plano to the North. From experience, I hardly ever go down to McKinney Ave because it is a 45 minute drive for me with no traffic. This kinda sucks if you don't have a DD or a place to crash. A cab ride from McKinney Ave to Plano will be expensive. I also enjoy a more low key bar scene, which McKinney Ave/Uptown is not.

If you truly want to be "in the middle of it all" and don't care about price or commute time, I guess McKinney Ave is the way to go, but that would be my last choice. If I were you, I'd go with Addison. I'd personally rank them 1. Addison 2. Shops 3. Uptown

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Addison.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Having moved to this area of the Metroplex last summer, I fully say Addison.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
As someone who faced this dilemma, Addison.

I moved to Richardson, though, because I hate being in the thick of things.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:35 PM
vofty

Agreed Addison, but then again I already said that

I lived there for a while before I went back to school and I LOVED it. It was central to everything. Let me preface that I loved living there during the week, Addison is only about 4.5 square miles but it is packed with restaurants and bars so naturally everyone comes to Addison on the weekends so it gets a little crowded but as a resident I highly recommend living there.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Echoing the crowdedness. Trying to find a parking spot at the Flying Saucer on a Saturday night... madness.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:02 AM
compan

Well I guess that settles it. Addison it is . If any of you notice a guy in that area talking with a Boston accent within the next couple of months, good chance it's me.

Thanks again for all the help.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:16 AM
compan

Anyone have any experience with the Post Properties apartments in Addison Circle? From my research it looks like the best place for me to try to be around in Addison is the Belt Line/Midway area.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:50 PM
vofty

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with the Post Properties apartments in Addison Circle? From my research it looks like the best place for me to try to be around in Addison is the Belt Line/Midway area.
I haven't ever lived in a Post properties place but Addison Circle is where you will want to be and from looking around town previously the Post properties usually look pretty nice but I can't say anything to their management.

Old
03-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Hound
Roll Tide

Quote:
in the middle of it all
Definitely Uptown/McKinney Ave, no question, while you are young. Plenty of time to move north when you're older

Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:43 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
looking to come into town at the end of the month for the games on the 29th and 31st.. the club seats in the lower level centers, are those really all inclusive with all inclusive beer too?

whats the deal with those seats?

trueblue9441 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Bkennedy*
HFBoards Sponsor

Hey guys, going to the Flames game tomorrow. From way out of town, been a while since I've been in Dallas.

Where would you guys recommend eating near the stadium? Reasonably priced, but doesn't need to be *too* cheap. There will be two of us and could spend $50-75 or so.

Last edited by Bkennedy*: 03-17-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Bkennedy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:13 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
looking to come into town at the end of the month for the games on the 29th and 31st.. the club seats in the lower level centers, are those really all inclusive with all inclusive beer too?

whats the deal with those seats?
I think I sat in those seats once, it was Valentine's Day and my boyfriend at the time (now husband) surprised me with those seats, I may or may not have been a little more than tipsy by that point, but there was someone who kept coming to wait on us and take orders and such, but yes I believe it was all-inclusive.

If you are on twitter @thesports007 is a Stars ticket rep/sales person and you could always ask her.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkennedy View Post
Where would you guys recommend eating near the stadium? Reasonably priced, but doesn't need to be *too* cheap. There will be two of us and could spend $50-75 or so.
There's an El Fenix, House of Blues, Hooters, Hard Rock Cafe, Draft Picks (though it wasn't very good when we went there) all within a minute or so driving around the arena.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:43 PM
ATL Star

Coming this weekend to First (Home) Stars Game: Advice?

Good afternoon Stars fans,

Having finally put the Thrashers behind me before this season (good riddance), I have welcomed back into my heart the team that first brought me my love of hockey, and, hopefully, won't leave me for a frozen truck stop on the Canadian Prairies.

So, with my bags soon to be packed and girlfriend in tow, I will be making the 5 1/2 hours drive west on I-20 Friday morning to Dallas to spend the weekend bar hopping, and attending my first game at AAC.

I've already purchased tickets off of ebay (section 112, row H), and have a hotel right downtown. My question to you guys is, what do you suggest I do Friday and Saturday night to maximize my trip?

I was in Dallas last September for the Alabama game, and had a great time. However, I wasn't able to go out to the bars Friday night, because I had to pick someone up early Saturday morning. Besides the Loon of course, what are some great bars around McKinney (or near it) that are a "must see?"

As for the game Saturday, I want to have the full gameday experience. Are there tailgates, or is the plaza really the go-to for drinking and Music.

Any and all tips are welcome, so let me have it.

GO STARS!

ATL Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 50
If you're in Atlanta it's more like an 11-12hr drive

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:56 PM
ATL Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
If you're in Atlanta it's more like an 11-12hr drive
I'm in law school in Mississippi... cuts it in half!

ATL Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Epoch

Hey guys,

I have a job offer in San Antonio that I'm mulling over. If anyone knows the city and has any advice on good neighborhoods to live in (for a young single guy) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoch View Post
Hey guys,

I have a job offer in San Antonio that I'm mulling over. If anyone knows the city and has any advice on good neighborhoods to live in (for a young single guy) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Live on the northern side.