HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Planning to build a new computer? Read Here first! #5

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Diskothek

vCash: 500
'ello all. I'm currently living in the distant past with my computer and would like to upgrade components to run Arma 3 smoothly (not maxed out or anything but better than my mouse movements taking a second to register with the game and feeling like I'm moving in slow motion with everything on Low). I was thinking an overhaul of CPU, power supply and video card would be in order but I know very little about this stuff so some advice would be much appreciated.

Current specs:
• CPU - AMD Athlon Dual-Core Processor, ~2.7GHz
• Video Card - ATI Radeon HD 4350
• Power Supply - ??? I haven't opened the case in forever but I remember it being quite low. Computer is ~4 yrs old and was a basic Dell model. I figure I'd need a better one to run whatever new stuff I get.
• 6 GB RAM

These are recommended requirements from the Steam page:

Processor: Intel Core i5-2300 or AMD Phenom II X4 940 or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 or AMD Radeon HD 7750 with 1 GB VRAM or better

Old
03-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Frankie Spankie

I don't know as much about computers as some of the other people that post here but you're better off getting a whole new build. You'll need pretty much everything new. New processor will certainly mean new mother board. You'll want a new video card too and for all that you'll need a new power supply in order to power it all. That's pretty much the whole computer right there.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Diskothek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
I don't know as much about computers as some of the other people that post here but you're better off getting a whole new build. You'll need pretty much everything new. New processor will certainly mean new mother board. You'll want a new video card too and for all that you'll need a new power supply in order to power it all. That's pretty much the whole computer right there.
At least I'll have a case to work with, hah.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskothek View Post
If you plan on getting a new processor, more RAM and a new GPU (video card) then you you are likely to need a new motherboard since you said your PC is a 4 year old Dell (I'm assuming that means you didn't build it yourself) those are usually put together with the cheapest stuff they can find.

Building a PC can seem daunting at first but it's really easy: it's basically Lego as long as you don't rush it and take the time to insert everything properly. I learned how to do it by taking apart my old PC: see what is plugged where and what else it's connected to; it's very straight forward.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Quote:
Good chance you wont if it is a Dell. Most of their older cases are proprietary and 'normal' components (mobo, PSU) probably will not fit. You better research to be sure.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
If you plan on getting a new processor, more RAM and a new GPU (video card) then you you are likely to need a new motherboard since you said your PC is a 4 year old Dell (I'm assuming that means you didn't build it yourself) those are usually put together with the cheapest stuff they can find.

Building a PC can seem daunting at first but it's really easy: it's basically Lego as long as you don't rush it and take the time to insert everything properly. I learned how to do it by taking apart my old PC: see what is plugged where and what else it's connected to; it's very straight forward.
Yeah, it is straightforward and it's fine as long as you know where everything is going. If you don't, you can read up online or through instruction manuals

Old
03-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
This -- You can get a lot of great help here as for what to order. Otherwise, just make sure to read all of the instructions for everything you install. I built my HTPC last summer and it was the first PC I built with no help at all. I was definitely nervous because I didn't want to fry anything but I just made sure to read the instructions for everything I got and didn't have a problem with it at all.

And like Monkey said, you probably will need a new case. The only thing that's probably worth salvaging is the RAM assuming it will fit in the new mother board and the hard drives.

But for reference, I have a GT560Ti right now and an old quad core processor and I couldn't even run Arma 2 that well. For Arma 3 to run well, you'll probably want something better than that. I would assume since you say you don't want it to run on ultra settings but just want it to run smoothly on lower settings, you're possibly looking at a computer that'd cost ~$800. Again, better off checking with others than me on something like that though.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Diskothek

Quote:
This -- You can get a lot of great help here as for what to order. Otherwise, just make sure to read all of the instructions for everything you install. I built my HTPC last summer and it was the first PC I built with no help at all. I was definitely nervous because I didn't want to fry anything but I just made sure to read the instructions for everything I got and didn't have a problem with it at all.

And like Monkey said, you probably will need a new case. The only thing that's probably worth salvaging is the RAM assuming it will fit in the new mother board and the hard drives.

But for reference, I have a GT560Ti right now and an old quad core processor and I couldn't even run Arma 2 that well. For Arma 3 to run well, you'll probably want something better than that. I would assume since you say you don't want it to run on ultra settings but just want it to run smoothly on lower settings, you're possibly looking at a computer that'd cost ~$800. Again, better off checking with others than me on something like that though.
Good thing I just got my tax return then. I have a friend who is good with this stuff who can help me as well.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:21 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
The Tank thanks you

Quote:
Good thing I just got my tax return then. I have a friend who is good with this stuff who can help me as well.
Best way to go if its an option

I tend to agree with those saying it's probably best to move on from your old system at this point.

But for the heck of it, you can download CPU-Z http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.63-setup-en.exe

Then post a screenshot of the CPU, Mainboard, and memory tab.

If your system were an old custom system with those specs it would probably be upgradable, but with a dell you are probably stuck with a weak motherboard that might not take new CPU's.

Quote:

RAM assuming it will fit in the new mother board and the hard drives.
Could be DDR2, in which case it won't go in a new build.

Quote:
But for reference, I have a GT560Ti right now and an old quad core processor and I couldn't even run Arma 2 that well.
Well ARMA 2 is basically an unoptimized pig, but it loves higher end CPU's. IIRC it doesn't use all the threads a quad can deliver, so it likes good clock for clock performances like you'd get out of an Intel 3570. Since ARMA III is likely to be similar to II I'd definitely target an Intel build.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:48 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Ended up taking the plunge and buying the Lenovo laptop I posted earlier. Should get it, and an external CD/DVD drive, tomorrow.

Stoked.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:03 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
The Tank thanks you

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Ended up taking the plunge and buying the Lenovo laptop I posted earlier. Should get it, and an external CD/DVD drive, tomorrow.

Stoked.
The SLI 650's in it should run quite nice

Old
03-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

I'm building my first htpc. I'll be using it as a DVR, bluray player, play ripped 1080p movies with lossless audio, playing retro games, and basic ones like Sim City or Civ. I was using a Mac mini with XBMC. Here's pretty much what I got.

CPU: Intel i3 3225
Motherboard: ASRock H77M
ODD: Liteon bluray player
SSD: Sandisk 128GB
HDD: 3TB external
Power supply: Seasonic 380w something
Ram: G Skill 4GB 1600 x2
Tuner: Hauppauge 2250
Case: nMediaPC 1000B
Wireless card, IR receiver, Windows 7

I wanted to get an AMD A10, but heard they run hot as hell.

What do you guys think, would this be good? I think the cost for everything was like $750 at Newegg.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:20 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
The Tank thanks you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Duk Dong View Post
I'm building my first htpc. I'll be using it as a DVR, bluray player, play ripped 1080p movies with lossless audio, playing retro games, and basic ones like Sim City or Civ. I was using a Mac mini with XBMC. Here's pretty much what I got.

CPU: Intel i3 3225
Motherboard: ASRock H77M
ODD: Liteon bluray player
SSD: Sandisk 128GB
HDD: 3TB external
Power supply: Seasonic 380w something
Ram: G Skill 4GB 1600 x2
Tuner: Hauppauge 2250
Case: nMediaPC 1000B
Wireless card, IR receiver, Windows 7

I wanted to get an AMD A10, but heard they run hot as hell.

What do you guys think, would this be good? I think the cost for everything was like $750 at Newegg.
I think you probably should re-consider the A10, or add a video card to the i3. Even Civ 5 takes quite a bit of horsepower for a strategy game.

A10's dont get too hot, a little hotter than FX quads but not too much. Maybe like 65-70c max in a small form case. If you can get an aftermarket cooler that will fit in the nMediaPC 1000B that will be even better. A little hot but safe. 74C is the max, and you shouldn't hit that without serious overclocking and a burn test.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2047/16/

Old
03-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
I think you probably should re-consider the A10, or add a video card to the i3. Even Civ 5 takes quite a bit of horsepower for a strategy game.

A10's dont get too hot, a little hotter than FX quads but not too much. Maybe like 65-70c max in a small form case. If you can get an aftermarket cooler that will fit in the nMediaPC 1000B that will be even better. A little hot but safe. 74C is the max, and you shouldn't hit that without serious overclocking and a burn test.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2047/16/
Thanks for the quick reply man, but I already ordered the stuff. My dumbass should've asked earlier. If there's a game (not into shooters), I can still add a graphics card right? This is gonna be 70 movies/music, 20 old games, 10 Sim City and such games. I'm not looking to run FPS at max settings.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:58 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
The Tank thanks you

Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply man, but I already ordered the stuff. My dumbass should've asked earlier. If there's a game (not into shooters), I can still add a graphics card right? This is gonna be 70 movies/music, 20 old games, 10 Sim City and such games. I'm not looking to run FPS at max settings.
Absolutely. Might need a low profile card for that case but that's manageable. With a 380W seasonic, I wouldn't go over a HD7750/GT 640 level graphics card. Especially with all your other accessories.

But a 7750 + a i3 would be faster than just the A10. So in the end you would come out ahead with the i3 + video card. The A10's integrated just kicks the crap out of the i3's if you are limited to that.

And even your i3's integrated can still play most stuff. Just expect low resolutions/settings. Try it out first and see how it goes before adding a card.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Diskothek

Potential build:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $670.90

Old
03-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Frankie Spankie

I'm just curious, I'm looking at a high end build at the end of this year and was wondering about the memory. How important is the memory speed on it? I see 16GB at 1833Mhz for about $110. Then I see the 2400Mhz version for about $150. 2800Mhz gets ridiculously priced. Is it really worth the extra money when I'm primarily using the machine for gaming or is it something used for marketing purposes to try to get more money out of you. Also, 16GB should be more than enough for anything gaming related right? I don't do much with demanding software outside of gaming and my current 8GB seems to do just fine. I was looking at 2 8GB sticks so I have the option to go to 32GB if I wanted to.

Also, sticking to the memory theme, how important is memory on a video card? GTX 680s for example only cost about $50-100 more for a jump from 2GB to 4GB.

I've looked elsewhere and from what I've seen on the regular RAM, you probably won't notice a difference and I get mixed thoughts about video card memory. I'm wondering how true most of that is.

Old
03-20-2013, 03:12 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
The Tank thanks you

Quote:
Potential build:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Lots of great bang for the buck type parts in that build. One thing you might consider is getting a slightly higher end motherboard though. If you think you might upgrade it down the line, a higher end motherboard could potentially get better support for new CPU's that come out.

And since it's related to Frankie's question....

Quote:
I'm just curious, I'm looking at a high end build at the end of this year and was wondering about the memory. How important is the memory speed on it? I see 16GB at 1833Mhz for about $110.
Memory scaling is different between AMD and Intel. On Intel systems it really doesn't make much difference past 1600mhz in practical terms.

AMD systems are a little different. The mainline FX CPU's like the 4300 and the 8350 seem to get slightly bigger boosts from faster RAM, but it's still pretty negligible past 1866.

The APU's however scale like crazy with fast RAM. This may not look like much, but 20% performance out of memory is quite substantial compared to other platforms.

Quote:
Then I see the 2400Mhz version for about $150. 2800Mhz gets ridiculously priced. Is it really worth the extra money when I'm primarily using the machine for gaming or is it something used for marketing purposes to try to get more money out of you. Also, 16GB should be more than enough for anything gaming related right? I don't do much with demanding software outside of gaming and my current 8GB seems to do just fine. I was looking at 2 8GB sticks so I have the option to go to 32GB if I wanted to.
Most boards don't even support those speeds without overclocking. Once you hit 2133 you are mostly spinning your wheels. The sweet spot IMO is 1866. Usually a negligible price difference and fast enough to be worth it.

8GB is more than enough right now. I doubt that 16GB will be required for a long while yet too. Just watch the utilization in windows and see how much games take. Even the most demanding ones don't go very high.

Quote:
Also, sticking to the memory theme, how important is memory on a video card? GTX 680s for example only cost about $50-100 more for a jump from 2GB to 4GB.
At very high resolutions it can make a difference. 1080p 2GB is enough right now. Though if 4GB is not much more I'd just get it. I can make Crysis 3 take up 1.8 GB out of 3GB on my 7950. So the days of 2GB being a little short are not that far off.

Now if you are buying a budget card, most times the extra memory isn't helpful. Because the GPU's are too slow to take advantage of it anyway.

Old
03-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Potential build:

This is almost the exact build I've got now. With some moderate overclocking (my CPU's @ 4.2GHz, GPU @ 1GHz core/1350MHz memory), this is arguably the best performance per dollar build around right now. Don't know what your budget is, but if you've got an extra $60 to play with I'd suggest a Radeon 7870 XT.

Also I agree with sniper about the motherboard. If you plan on overclocking, you want a board with 8+2 phase power. Plus the fact that AM3+ will be around for at least another generation, possibly two, it'd be wise to spend more on a higher quality board now and just upgrade your CPU later rather than replace both sometime in the future.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128519 This is the one I have. Solid board, the only downside is the second PCIe lane is x4, so SLI/Xfire is a bit gimped.

Last edited by Benny Lava: 03-20-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old
03-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
At very high resolutions it can make a difference. 1080p 2GB is enough right now. Though if 4GB is not much more I'd just get it. I can make Crysis 3 take up 1.8 GB out of 3GB on my 7950. So the days of 2GB being a little short are not that far off.

Now if you are buying a budget card, most times the extra memory isn't helpful. Because the GPU's are too slow to take advantage of it anyway.
Thanks for the info on the memory, definitely cleared up a lot for me. I'll probably still just go with 16GB just because I plan on building a PC that should last me a very long time.

As for the video card, I plan on doing SLI so I'm still wondering how much memory I'll go with. That's not really a question for now though, I'll see what gaming looks like in 6 months before deciding that. I'm assuming that by higher resolutions that would also be important if you're running eyefinity/nvidia surround? I'm planning on going with a 3 monitor set up, not sure how many games I plan on playing across three screens but if the added memory makes a big difference for it, I'll definitely go for the most.

Old
03-20-2013, 04:11 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Laptop looks and feels awesome. Just need to get used to the new keyboard and the different mousepad feel, but those will be second nature in a week.

Should've seen it coming, but it didn't come with Microsoft Office. Any cheap (and legal) outlets for it, or am I stuck with going through Microsoft and paying out the nose?

Old
03-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

There's MS Word free version, little ad on the right but it does basic stuff

Other than that no for Microsoft...but if you need a suite you could try Open Office. It's free but from my experience it was too different from MS Office to use regularly

Old
03-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I think Google Docs might let you use that stuff. I'm told you an open office docs, and that it has a file converter so you can save files as Office docs.

That's what I'm told, at least. Whether or not I have been misled is another matter, I can't say I've had reason to test it out.

03-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Benny Lava

LibreOffice is a great free alternative.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:30 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Sweet, never mind. Just got a head's up that my company's gifting me a free and full version of office. Pretty sweet.

Also, brought my old laptop into work as I know my new laptop would bring my productivity down to zero, and let me just say that this thing feels like a dinosaur compared to my new machine!

Closed Thread