HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Are playoffs still makeable?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2013, 01:23 PM
  #351
AM
Registered User
 
AM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Catching Minnesota and winning the division is very unlikely, however a win against San Jose could put the Oilers in the drivers seat, in that they'll simply have to outplay everyone below them in the standings to make the playoffs. Depends on what happens tonight of course.

A win against San Jose means that they've pretty much made up all the ground on the teams ahead of them, and now just have to record the best record down the stretch to get in. Which is about as much as you could ask for at this point of the season.
Win and you are in.

Its been that way since the start of the season.

Course, Oilers are -9(points awarded/given up) right now. They really dont deserve to be in the playoffs unless they can even out that stat in a hurry.

AM is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 03:46 PM
  #352
shoop
Registered User
 
shoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
we're 11-11-6 right now. so 11 more wins gives us 22-20-6 for 50 points. You gotta think we lose a few games in the SO/OT, lets say 3.

11-6-3 gives us 53 points which should be competitive.
53 points puts the Oil 7-8-9 in the conference.

The past four games gave a glimmer of hope. The next six will tell the tale. After the next six games will be the trade deadline. If there is still a reasonable chance of playoffs at that point then the Oilers should be buyers. If playoffs are only mathematically possible (i.e. needing more than 22 points in the remaining 14 games) than the Oilers should be sellers.

shoop is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 03:57 PM
  #353
Daryl Katz Fan Club*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
You stretched that analogy to death without retaining a single semblance of your original point.

Making the playoffs would be an accomplishment, especially this year where all but two teams could realistically make or miss the playoffs. It's not low-hanging fruit, it's year over year progress.



It's not the "Pittsburgh" model, it's the draft rebuild model and it's engineered three of the last four cup winners. Go figure.
don't really agree with you here. They need a culture change, and it needs to be soon. Or else the young players will all learn the losing ways.

But what do you propose? Share so I can learn your ideas

Daryl Katz Fan Club* is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:06 PM
  #354
Ice Whole
Registered User
 
Ice Whole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Katz Fan Club View Post
don't really agree with you here. They need a culture change, and it needs to be soon. Or else the young players will all learn the losing ways.

But what do you propose? Share so I can learn your ideas
Making the playoffs would be a huge accomplishment considering every team in the west besides maybe Colorado is still in it. This team definitely has some holes but once we make the playoffs, at least we know we can be playoff contenders year after year and hopefully cup contenders after the kids develop more and we improve our D.

What culture change are you expecting? The kids aren't going anywhere.

Ice Whole is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:40 PM
  #355
Daryl Katz Fan Club*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
Making the playoffs would be a huge accomplishment considering every team in the west besides maybe Colorado is still in it. This team definitely has some holes but once we make the playoffs, at least we know we can be playoff contenders year after year and hopefully cup contenders after the kids develop more and we improve our D.

What culture change are you expecting? The kids aren't going anywhere.
That's great if it happens. I just want to win. so sick and tired of losing

Daryl Katz Fan Club* is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 04:44 PM
  #356
Ice Whole
Registered User
 
Ice Whole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Katz Fan Club View Post
That's great if it happens. I just want to win. so sick and tired of losing
Agreed. It's been way too long since we have made the playoffs. I'm pretty sure every team in the west has made the playoffs after 06 besides the Oilers

Ice Whole is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:08 PM
  #357
Koto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
Agreed. It's been way too long since we have made the playoffs. I'm pretty sure every team in the west has made the playoffs after 06 besides the Oilers
only the leafs have a longer drought.

Koto is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:22 PM
  #358
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,552
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Katz Fan Club View Post
don't really agree with you here. They need a culture change, and it needs to be soon. Or else the young players will all learn the losing ways.

But what do you propose? Share so I can learn your ideas
What are you expecting to change? Trade Hall? Trade Justin Schultz? The big 5 are the guys who will bring back top value, and that's not happening. Maybe a midseason management change? Great, let's bring in Burke so he can trade our future for a quick fix and pass on talent for more JFJ and Stortinis.

There is no culture change coming. Maybe over time, but not in the near future, and it won't happen over night

The Nuge is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:39 PM
  #359
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,102
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
What are you expecting to change? Trade Hall? Trade Justin Schultz? The big 5 are the guys who will bring back top value, and that's not happening. Maybe a midseason management change? Great, let's bring in Burke so he can trade our future for a quick fix and pass on talent for more JFJ and Stortinis.

There is no culture change coming. Maybe over time, but not in the near future, and it won't happen over night
Yea Burke always trades away his young talent. Thats why he traded those Sedin kids when they were struggling in Van. O wait!

raab is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:45 PM
  #360
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,552
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Yea Burke always trades away his young talent. Thats why he traded those Sedin kids when they were struggling in Van. O wait!
If he can somehow get impact players for our veterans (Smyth, Potter, Belanger, etc) then I'm all for it. Doesn't seem too likely though. If we want to find guys that are going to make a change on the way this team plays, its going to cost us. And for any Burke lover, who would you prefer, Klefbom or Biggs?

The Nuge is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:47 PM
  #361
c4fn8d
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Katz Fan Club View Post
That's great if it happens. I just want to win. so sick and tired of losing
Let me remind everyone here: The last time that the Oilers had a possibility of making the playoffs was in 2006. Management were active buyers during the deadline. They acquired: Samsonov, Spacek and Tarnstrom at the deadline. Those were key pieces in helping us get to the playoffs and took us deep into the playoffs.

Since then we haven't even been close to a playoff team, and have been consistent sellers.

I want the Oilers to become buyers this year. And Not trade away our Vets. We buy with picks and prospects this year.

c4fn8d is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:56 PM
  #362
Bank Shot
Registered User
 
Bank Shot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4fn8d View Post
Let me remind everyone here: The last time that the Oilers had a possibility of making the playoffs was in 2006. Management were active buyers during the deadline. They acquired: Samsonov, Spacek and Tarnstrom at the deadline. Those were key pieces in helping us get to the playoffs and took us deep into the playoffs.

Since then we haven't even been close to a playoff team, and have been consistent sellers.

I want the Oilers to become buyers this year. And Not trade away our Vets. We buy with picks and prospects this year.
Oilers bought in 07-08 as well. Kotalik for one.

Bank Shot is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:59 PM
  #363
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe
 
OilerTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,666
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4fn8d View Post
Let me remind everyone here: The last time that the Oilers had a possibility of making the playoffs was in 2006. Management were active buyers during the deadline. They acquired: Samsonov, Spacek and Tarnstrom at the deadline. Those were key pieces in helping us get to the playoffs and took us deep into the playoffs.

Since then we haven't even been close to a playoff team, and have been consistent sellers.

I want the Oilers to become buyers this year. And Not trade away our Vets. We buy with picks and prospects this year.
Don't forget this guy



I would love to be buyers this year.

OilerTyler is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 06:01 PM
  #364
Perfect_Drug
Registered User
 
Perfect_Drug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Katz Fan Club View Post
don't really agree with you here. They need a culture change, and it needs to be soon. Or else the young players will all learn the losing ways.

But what do you propose? Share so I can learn your ideas
Interesting assessment.

Sakic didn't make the playoffs for the first 4 years of his career, and 3 of them were as the worst team in the league. By his 7th year, he had made the playoffs once in a first round exit.

He wasn't a loser.

Jarome Iginla had 2 games in his first year, then went 7 years without playoffs. Even though he's never won the cup, most wouldn't exactly call him someone who has learned 'losing ways'.

Our very own Doug Weight had 7 games as a Ranger rookie, then played 5 consecutive seasons without the playoffs. He didn't learn to become a loser either.

Perfect_Drug is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 06:10 PM
  #365
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,102
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
If he can somehow get impact players for our veterans (Smyth, Potter, Belanger, etc) then I'm all for it. Doesn't seem too likely though. If we want to find guys that are going to make a change on the way this team plays, its going to cost us. And for any Burke lover, who would you prefer, Klefbom or Biggs?
The Phaneuf deal, the JM Liles deal, Beauchemin for Lupul and Gardiner. Burke routinely moved non essential players and picks for a better player. I can't think of one instance where Tambo has done that.
And Burke didn't have the option of selecting Klefbom so that's an unfair Arguement. And on top of that it's way to early to take one player over the other.

raab is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 06:17 PM
  #366
Gord
Go Esks!
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,448
vCash: 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4fn8d View Post
Let me remind everyone here: The last time that the Oilers had a possibility of making the playoffs was in 2006. Management were active buyers during the deadline. They acquired: Samsonov, Spacek and Tarnstrom at the deadline. Those were key pieces in helping us get to the playoffs and took us deep into the playoffs.

Since then we haven't even been close to a playoff team, and have been consistent sellers.

I want the Oilers to become buyers this year. And Not trade away our Vets. We buy with picks and prospects this year.
I disagree. at this point in the development of the team, it is NOT time to get rid of picks and prospects to maybe make the playoffs. I don't like the makeup of the team and there are a lot of glaring issues, but this is not the year to spend assets for pipe dreams.
I'd rather at this point in the season take the team as is and see what happens.

Gord is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 06:22 PM
  #367
Oil Gauge
Registered User
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
53 points puts the Oil 7-8-9 in the conference.

The past four games gave a glimmer of hope. The next six will tell the tale. After the next six games will be the trade deadline. If there is still a reasonable chance of playoffs at that point then the Oilers should be buyers. If playoffs are only mathematically possible (i.e. needing more than 22 points in the remaining 14 games) than the Oilers should be sellers.
I dunno if they should be buyers. I guess if you can make a deal that you like for next year then you do it, but to give anything up for a playoff push this year seems like a waste.

Maybe if its a role player that comes pretty cheap. But I wouldn't be giving up pieces that have future value to this team for the a hope of the playoffs unless the return makes sense for the future as well.

As much as well all want to make the playoffs this season, this team needs to put more value into building a team for next year and beyond.

Oil Gauge is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 06:52 PM
  #368
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,552
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
The Phaneuf deal, the JM Liles deal, Beauchemin for Lupul and Gardiner. Burke routinely moved non essential players and picks for a better player. I can't think of one instance where Tambo has done that.
And Burke didn't have the option of selecting Klefbom so that's an unfair Arguement. And on top of that it's way to early to take one player over the other.
Beauchemin was, and still is, a very good player. Liles has often been a healthy scratch this year, and is in a similar role as Potter. The Phaneuf trade was definitely fantastic.

Have you seen Biggs lately? It's definitely not too early. And it was stated that Biggs was Burke's guy. He was most likely taking him regardless of whether Klefbom was there or not

Edit: not saying Beauchemin is the best player in the deal or anything, but he was hardly a spare part. We probably don't have a dman not name Schultz that would return what he did

The Nuge is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 07:31 PM
  #369
Jeff Lebowski
Registered User
 
Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 527
vCash: 500
Just a question for everyone that says our odds are so slim to make the playoffs. What would you consider San Jose's odds? If we win tomorrow, we are tied with them with the same number of games played. Huge game tomorrow.

Jeff Lebowski is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 07:53 PM
  #370
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,712
vCash: 500
Oilers need STL and LAK to win tonight.

The Perfect Human* is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 07:59 PM
  #371
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Just a question for everyone that says our odds are so slim to make the playoffs. What would you consider San Jose's odds? If we win tomorrow, we are tied with them with the same number of games played. Huge game tomorrow.
HUGE!

And it will be interesting to see how hungry this squad is and how much they want it now that 8th is in reach.

This next stretch is where Hall's leadership experience and Eberle's "Clutchness" hopefully come in to play (Once Eberle is completely healed of course).

Powder is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 08:46 PM
  #372
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo
 
Blue And Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Europe
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
HUGE!

And it will be interesting to see how hungry this squad is and how much they want it now that 8th is in reach.

This next stretch is where Hall's leadership experience and Eberle's "Clutchness" hopefully come in to play (Once Eberle is completely healed of course).
This is also where Horcoff's leadership steps in.

Blue And Orange is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 08:50 PM
  #373
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Oilers bought in 07-08 as well. Kotalik for one.
still can't get over that epic meltdown that season... unbelievable, even after all these years

jadeddog is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 08:53 PM
  #374
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I disagree. at this point in the development of the team, it is NOT time to get rid of picks and prospects to maybe make the playoffs. I don't like the makeup of the team and there are a lot of glaring issues, but this is not the year to spend assets for pipe dreams.
I'd rather at this point in the season take the team as is and see what happens.
+1

yeah this isn't the year to sell off a lot of things for soon-to-be-UFAs or temporary fixes just to get us into the playoffs as the 8th seed... if we get in great, hell, if we *almost* get in that is just about as good to be honest... i won't shed a lot of tears if we finished 2-4 points out of the playoffs, as that would be more progress than i was expecting anyhow

if we can make a trade at the deadline that helps the team long-term, then yeah, make it... but i don't really want us to sell off any assets for quick-fixes

jadeddog is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 08:54 PM
  #375
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,552
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
This is also where Horcoff's leadership steps in.
Agreed. He takes a lot of flack, but he's had success on multiple occasions having a player meeting and, I'm assuming, really holding people accountable. If we ever need him to really rally the troops, its right now. We've strung some points together, and for the first time in years, playoffs are in sight

The Nuge is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.