HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Sports Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2013, 03:55 PM
AdamCalderHero
Blaze = UK Avs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Love it! Wales was my pick for the win and they're my 2nd favourite team in the tournament after Ireland.

Old
03-16-2013, 04:30 PM
anleva

As the worm turns...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...gn=Twitter_atl

Quote:
On the heels of one of more egregious agent blunders in recent times, Elivis Dumervil is looking for new representation.

The Baltimore Sun's Aaron Wilson cited sources close to the situation to report that Dumervil is moving on from his agent, Marty Magid. There's no hard feelings between the two, according to Wilson, but in light of Friday's fax-machine hijinks, the sides have agreed to part ways.

The split coincides with Dumervil's voyage into the open market, where he looks to recoup some if not all of the $8 million per year he had agreed to with the Denver Broncos, prior to his release. One sticking point: The players' union stipulates Dumervil must wait five days to sign with another rep, which delays his next step.

NFL Network's Michelle Beisner reported Saturday that interest in Dumervil is sparse, but Wilson reports it's picking up, with several teams eyeing the 29-year-old defender. One of those teams is the Baltimore Ravens, who have Dumervil "firmly" on their radar, according to Wilson. The Ravens hope to meet with the defensive end after next week's NFL Annual Meeting in Phoenix.

We still believe the Denver Broncos could make a play to re-sign Dumervil, but it won't be at the amount they agreed to Friday.

Dumervil isn't about to command that kind of money on the open market, but it's not surprising to see teams poke around. He can still bring the heat and plenty of clubs are hurting for players who can take down the quarterback.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:14 PM
ABasin
Crow is yummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Just a random thought in all of this, because I negotiate contracts for a living -

In this deal, the Broncos obviously had the MOST to lose here. It was a reduction in the player's salary, and they were on the hook for the deal unless something got done. So why were the Broncos not the ones to counter-sign the agreement? In fact why wouldn't the team be the one to counter-sign the agreement EVERY single time?
Why don't they have even semi-modern software, where you can sign/scan/electronically fax fairly instantaneously? I also enter into numerous contracts per month, have done so for years now, and I have not owned or even used a fax machine in at least 7-8 years. Not once.

Anyway, please let me know if I understand this correctly:

- Broncos were at the Cap limit, and Dumerville was slated to take up $12M of that number.
- If the Broncos had redone his contract for $8M before 2pm yesterday, they would have been $4M under the cap, and would have had that $4M to spend on draft picks, etc., and would have had Dumerville.
- But since this got messed up, the $12M is off the books, but now the Broncos are only $8M under the cap, with no Dumerville?

Do I have that correct?

Old
03-16-2013, 08:17 PM
ABasin
Crow is yummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anleva View Post
Makes sense but to erase/reverse the 4.8 million in dead money brought on by the Elvis contract via a 4+ million signing bonus you would probably need to sign a 3 year contract and the DE's left are too old and risky for a 3 year contract.
Wha....?

If that $4M is used for a signing bonus, it's not dead money? But otherwise it is dead money?

AB is confused.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:36 PM
anleva

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Wha....?

If that $4M is used for a signing bonus, it's not dead money? But otherwise it is dead money?

AB is confused.
Signing bonuses are paid in the first year but are equally applied against the salary cap over the full duration of the contract. The reason for the 4.8M in dead money was that once a player is terminated those amounts become accelerated back to the current year. So for Doom he had 1.6M for the next 3 years of his original signing bonus come due this season. So it's money subtracted from the available salary cap.

But say you were going to pay a player 8M in salary each year for 3 years. If you instead pay 4 million in salary and 4M in salary bonus for year one and then 8M in salary for year 2 and 3 over a 3 year contract you in effect can reduce the salary cap hit in the current year and offset some of that dead money.

Take a look at this. It shows a net neutral way to sign Doom to a new contract that has the same net effect to the team and to Doom from a salary cap perspective:

Old
03-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by anleva View Post
Signing bonuses are paid in the first year but are equally applied against the salary cap over the full duration of the contract. The reason for the 4.8M in dead money was that once a player is terminated those amounts become accelerated back to the current year. So for Doom he had 1.6M for the next 3 years of his original signing bonus come due this season. So it's money subtracted from the available salary cap.

But say you were going to pay a player 8M in salary each year for 3 years. If you instead pay 4 million in salary and 4M in salary bonus for year one and then 8M in salary for year 2 and 3 over a 3 year contract you in effect can reduce the salary cap hit in the current year and offset some of that dead money.

Take a look at this. It shows a net neutral way to sign Doom to a new contract that has the same net effect to the team and to Doom from a salary cap perspective:

The attachment isn't working but anleva is dead on correct. props for the understanding of the CBA

Old
03-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Why don't they have even semi-modern software, where you can sign/scan/electronically fax fairly instantaneously? I also enter into numerous contracts per month, have done so for years now, and I have not owned or even used a fax machine in at least 7-8 years. Not once.

Anyway, please let me know if I understand this correctly:

- Broncos were at the Cap limit, and Dumerville was slated to take up $12M of that number.
- If the Broncos had redone his contract for $8M before 2pm yesterday, they would have been $4M under the cap, and would have had that $4M to spend on draft picks, etc., and would have had Dumerville. - INCORRECT THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE....ONLY BASED ON FREE CAP SPACE
- But since this got messed up, the $12M is off the books, but now the Broncos are only $8M under the cap, with no Dumerville?

Do I have that correct?
Corrected this - everything else in in agreement. but the Broncos would have still had more than $4M...It just would have been an add-on to whatever they already had...Hope that makes sense.....And sorry to correct (I know it's again HF policy) but I didn't know what other way to do this.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:22 PM
ABasin
Crow is yummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Corrected this - everything else in in agreement. but the Broncos would have still had more than $4M...It just would have been an add-on to whatever they already had...Hope that makes sense.....And sorry to correct (I know it's again HF policy) but I didn't know what other way to do this.
No sweat.

Thank you and Anleva both. I think I get it now.

In the end, replacing Dumervil with Ayers isn't going to be too good.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Glasscog

Brandon Lloyd again anyone?

Old
03-16-2013, 11:12 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year

vCash: 50
Gsp vs nick diaz anyone?

Old
03-17-2013, 12:36 AM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2mybordeleau View Post
Gsp vs nick diaz anyone?
It was good , but i was expecting a better match . At the end of the fight Diaz said that he's thinking about retirement. As for the other Matchs , i really liked the fight between Johny Hendricks vs Carlos Condit.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:22 PM
anleva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
It was good , but i was expecting a better match . At the end of the fight Diaz said that he's thinking about retirement. As for the other Matchs , i really liked the fight between Johny Hendricks vs Carlos Condit.
GSP vs Diaz was a snoozer. Hendricks vs Condit was the fight of the night, great fight.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasscog View Post
Brandon Lloyd again anyone?
HELL NO, he was good with a dink-and-dunk type QB like Orton. If KC knew what was good for 'em, they'd go and get BL.

I'd rather we bring Stokley back.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:36 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

His stats were also ridiculously inflated from McDaniels trying to roll up passing yards in garbage time.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
the co-main event was no doubt the highlight, i was expecting much else from gsp, however his last too fights since coming back from his injury his face as been turned into silly putty, i'm not sure if i'd want to see him fight anderson silva.

if you watched the press conference after diaz asked for a rematch , not that he deserve's one. he said he wouldn't be sure if he was open to fighting anyone else however.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:49 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

EFFIN Colorado College upsets DU. LOVE IT.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Bonzai12

Great read - was wondering what happened to Stokely. Peter King is such a phenomenal writer.

Quote:
Manning slept at his good pal Stokley's house the day he got to Denver. The next day, Manning and Stokley got up early because Manning wanted to get a good throwing session in. In secrecy. Off to the park they went -- but there was an early-morning lacrosse game in progress. So Manning and Stokley moved to a community park with a 40-yard-square field. When a jogger would approach, Stokley would yell, "Jogger!'' And he or Manning would hide the football and wait until the jogger, or maybe bicyclist, passed.
Stokley knew the routes Manning wanted to throw, and he ran them. And when Manning signed, Stokley, 36, eventually got signed too -- with no promises about whether he'd make the team. He made the team and played 60 percent of the snaps in the slot, catching 45 passes. The last pass of Manning's season, in fact, was to Stokley, and Baltimore's Corey Graham picked it off.
So when it came time to sign Welker to a two-year, $12 million deal last week, a decision that took the Broncos about 10 seconds to make because Welker's the most productive slot man in football, coach John Fox picked up the phone to inform Stokley. "Heartbreaking,'' Fox said here Sunday, "because Stokley'd been such a great guy and important player for us.''
And Stokley said to Fox, basically, that if he was running the team, he'd go after Welker too.
That's why Brandon Stokley, who may have had his career ended by the acquisition of Welker, is the Class Guy of the Week.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz2NwuMOpcv

Old
03-18-2013, 11:43 PM
Rhaego

My nuggets

Old
03-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Elway made an offer to Doom.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
We will see if it's a legit offer or a Lacroix-style lowball that's used so management can say "hey, we tried."

That said, Elvis has to know that his waffling and his agent's incompetence cost the Broncos over $4 million in dead cap space. If he wanted a deal done, he'd do one with that in mind.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:28 PM
avalanchuck

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
We will see if it's a legit offer or a Lacroix-style lowball that's used so management can say "hey, we tried."

That said, Elvis has to know that his waffling and his agent's incompetence cost the Broncos over $4 million in dead cap space. If he wanted a deal done, he'd do one with that in mind.
Did Elway give him a deadline to respond by?

Old
03-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Was this it?

Old
03-19-2013, 07:25 PM
anleva

Quote:
At this point I've resigned myself to him not being with the team and am actually fine with it. I'm tired of all the drama over a flawed player. Bring on Freeney, Abraham or Osi and be done with it. If he ends up playing for the Broncos great, I'll root him on, but if not we'll be alright.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:37 PM
Bonzai12

Call me crazy but I never understood the hype about Dumervil anyways.

I'd take Freeney, Osi, Doom, or Abraham - they're all pretty much in the same category/level for me. Dumervil is elite pass rusher but can't play every down. All 3 of those other guys can. Also, you got Knighton, Wolfe, Ayers, and Vickerson now. Whoever comes in for us is just going to be in the rotation anyways. Even though Freeney, Osi, and Abraham are up there in age I believe Ayers has to make a turn in his career the next 2 years or he's done. Any of those guys are really needed for one year only. If Ayers don't pan out, Wolfe becomes full time DE and we grab a DT in the draft next year (or heck we may even do it this year)

Just never understood the Dumervil hype very much I guess. I still can't decide which is worse - if the Broncos actually bring this guy back at a large price or if he ends up with the Steelers or Ravens in a 3-4 and haunts the Broncos (because thats the scheme he really should be playing in anyways).

Old
03-19-2013, 07:44 PM
ABasin
Crow is yummy

Quote:
Wonder how much it's for - for this year anyway.

Are the Broncos about $8M under the cap? I'm wondering if they give Dumerville $5M or so, will they be trading down in the draft to save cap money on draft picks?

Closed Thread