HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposal Thread Vol. 8: The North Remembers

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 06:26 PM
belair

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I'd really want to grab Kopesky(sp) too, really nice fit as a big body in the top-9.

Maybe include Lander back the other way as well.
They LOVE Kopecky. Not happening.

As for Kulikov....It's possible if they're in tank mode. Adding Seth Jones to that defensive depth makes him somewhat expendible.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:33 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
If we want a little depth at D for a playoff run or push, maybe grab Brian Campbell from Florida.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:44 PM
doubledown99

Has Stauffer hinted at any potential Oiler moves?

Old
03-19-2013, 07:02 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
If we want a little depth at D for a playoff run or push, maybe grab Brian Campbell from Florida.
I fully support the acquisition of Brian Campbell at the right price, but I wouldn't say it's for a playoff push....

He's still got a cap hit of $7M+ for the next 3 seasons.

If we get him, he's our #1D for the foreseeable future. And our management would have to adjust their cap situation accordingly.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:06 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
I'd rather try for Dan Boyle from the Sharks truth be told. He's a good vet to add, an move the puck, help on the PP, his contract ends after next season, he can help tutor J. Schultz and is still an ok option for the top-4.

03-19-2013, 07:08 PM
jmoss45

Due to contract status I bet Boyle goes for a lot higher price. My interest in Campbell was based on the idea the Paanthers would let him go cheap...like a pick and a prospect.

Also just saw this:

Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib
#TribHKY >> Aside from regulars (TBL, CLB), scouts at #pens v #caps: COL, CGY, WPG, BOS, EDM (2), SJS.

Wonder who we're looking at? I was thinking Brower, maybe Laich who is back today.

REALLY hope its not at anyone from the pens they're hoping to get in return for Smid.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:10 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
I'd argue stauffer sometimes makes stuff up when he doesn't have much to talk about

Old
03-19-2013, 07:13 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I'd rather try for Dan Boyle from the Sharks truth be told. He's a good vet to add, an move the puck, help on the PP, his contract ends after next season, he can help tutor J. Schultz and is still an ok option for the top-4.
Do you really think they'd move him to a team that's fighting with them for eighth? Doug Wilson had an interview on Oilers Now today and he was pretty clear that playoffs are their goal and they won't sell.

What about Andrej Sekera out of Buffalo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
I'd argue stauffer sometimes makes stuff up when he doesn't have much to talk about
Yeah, but this opinion is fueled by things people think he said that he never said. He has no problem filling air with other sports or leagues.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
At the end of last season he thought Montreal would take Belanger, and even throughout this year he talks about Lander potentially being our #4 next year.

Last offseason he hinted at Mike Green out of Washington. With Carlson getting that extension, Alzner establishing himself, and Orlov on the way.
I think he mentioned something about trading a player of ours that will still be under contract next season

Old
03-19-2013, 07:21 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
Due to contract status I bet Boyle goes for a lot higher price. My interest in Campbell was based on the idea the Paanthers would let him go cheap...like a pick and a prospect.

Also just saw this:

Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib
#TribHKY >> Aside from regulars (TBL, CLB), scouts at #pens v #caps: COL, CGY, WPG, BOS, EDM (2), SJS.

Wonder who we're looking at? I was thinking Brower, maybe Laich who is back today.

REALLY hope its not at anyone from the pens they're hoping to get in return for Smid.
We've been looking at Pitts alot. Gotta be something brewing there.

Crosby??

Old
03-19-2013, 07:23 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
We've been looking at Pitts alot. Gotta be something brewing there.

Crosby??
Only one I could see that both they would be willing to move, and we would have interest in would be Dupres.

Please don't let it be Smid for Dupres. Please.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
I've mentioned this before, but I really think Buffalo is a team that might like to shake things up a bit.

How about a guy like Christian Ehrhoff?

He's a 30 year-old 6'2" 203lb LHD that plays a tonne of minutes and would instantly be our #1 D-man. He's also a +4 on a team that has a -17 goal differential.

Yes he has 6 more years at $4M per but if he plays how he's capable of playing along side Schultz then $4M for your #1 D isn't a bad deal at all.

Who knows, maybe the Sabres are desperate enough and might be willing to move him and his contact if the Oilers gave them a replacement with a shorter contract plus a high end prospect and a pick?

Old
03-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Great One

If this team is still in the playoff hunt and become buyers at the deadline I would love for us to take a run at Brendan Morrow. Morrow could add some toughness and grit to our top 9 or maybe even replace Jones on the line with Ebs and RNH.

Morrow becomes an UFA this offseason and rumour has it that Dallas could be shopping him which leaves me to believe he may not have interest in signing back with the Stars when his contract is up so he may even come half cheap. But I guess that depends on where Dallas are in the standings at the deadline as well. Not exactly sure what it might take to get a guy like Morrow but it would be nice if we could unload Belanger and perhaps Omark from the organization. If we trade Belanger we may have to look for another Center who could replace him not named Ryan Smyth.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:16 PM
doubledown99

B. Morrow is garbage now. His body has betrayed him. He has lost speed. He is basically Smyth now. The only reason some of you want him now is based on his name and former rep

Old
03-19-2013, 08:44 PM
oilers89

elaborating on what I said earlier to add nick foligno, if we could also add brouwer it was make us bigger and stronger and both guys can score

maybe. Hemsky+ for Foligno
and
Harty+ for Brouwer.

Foligno-Nuge-Eb
Hall-Gags-Yak
Brouwer-Horc-Prv
Jones/Smyth/Petrell-Belanger/smyth-brown.

I think that would be solid for now and in future.
We could also move prv up to gagner line and brouwer or foligno down to 3rd line and use our 3rd line to shutdown

Old
03-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Buy low sell high after the season proposal:

To ANA : Gagner + N.Schultz
To EDM : Fowler + Smith-Pelley

Smid, Fowler, Fistric at LD, Petry, J.Schultz and a big body #6 RD to round things off.
I know it leaves a hole down the middle but there is plenty of skill on the wings to not need a skilled #2C.

ANA shores up the biggest holes on the roster and becomes a legit threat.
We create a hole buy fill up 2.
Gags\Cogs unite.... Hall gets his buddy in EDM

Old
03-19-2013, 09:21 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post

Smid, Fowler, Fistric at LD, Petry, J.Schultz and a big body #6 RD to round things off.
I know it leaves a hole down the middle but there is plenty of skill on the wings to not need a skilled #2C.

I'm no expert...But sounds to me that you're plugging a couple of holes at the back of the ship, while front just got smashed by an iceberg.

Sam Gagner brings it every night and is one of a handful on this team that do. I feel like keeping him around for awhile.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:25 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post

Hall is friends with Smith-Pelly?
I still do not move Gagner unless you have a guy to fit into the 2c spot. This season he has stepped up and made up for RHN this season.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:26 PM
Baggers

Keeping Whitney after this season... Do not want.

Guy has been made of glass his entire career and has a degenerative foot condition. He's also UFA and will be looking for term and/or dollars, neither of which I hope the Oilers give him.

I'm glad he's been playing well as of late, but if I'm the Oilers and I can get anything of value for him, I trade him.

If not, keep him until the end of the year and let him walk - "asset management" be damned. ~12 games of not having to play Potter/Plante as the 6/7 defenceman > 4th round pick.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:27 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
B. Morrow is garbage now. His body has betrayed him. He has lost speed. He is basically Smyth now. The only reason some of you want him now is based on his name and former rep
and the guy has no core strength anymore.

hes been knocked over by RNH and other small people.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:33 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
It would have to be a short term deal for sure. One or two years.

If we can trade Whitney for a 2nd, are we going to get a better defenceman back for that same pick?

I just think Whitney is a decent enough stop gap player and we still have a need for his offence on the backend next year.
We cannot afford any boat anchor contracts. Whitney is playing for a new contract and for most of the year he's been poor or worse. If he is willing to stay here, isn't a problem in the dressing room, and will take $3 million or less for 1-2 years then I'd be fine with keeping him for now. That 2nd that he might yield in return could very well get you a JM Liles level defenseman from a few years back, that is what he went for. This is why if there's any indication that he isn't signing a club friendly deal I trade him. Hemsky on the other hand needs to go, Nail needs more ice time and a bigger role on the team. Deal Hemsky while he's healthy for grit that can play, a package of a high pick and a B level prospect, and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
You really think teams are lining up to give him multi-year deals?

If he wants to be here that's what he takes. Otherwise he can walk.
These are NHL GM's that you are talking about, would you bet against a team looking at giving him a 2-3 year deal? I agree on the rest of your post, if the deal doesn't work for us then I'd sooner move him than let him walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
What are the odds Whitney wants to stay here though? After the last couple seasons, I'm guessing he'd rather try and start fresh elsewhere.

In which case, may as well get whatever we can for him.
It sounded like he was quite pissed at Krueger, so unless he's the type to kiss and make up, I doubt that he's here much longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
For those suggesting dealing Whitney for a pick at the deadline, you are essentially telling the rest of your team that you are not trying for the playoffs this year. Unless you are trading other assets for another D immediately after the trade, you are sending a very poor message to your team.
How about this scenario? Whitney for 2nd round pick, Hemsky for Despres and a 2nd/3rd, the pick from Pitt for Brian Boyle?

03-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
Hall is friends with Smith-Pelly?
I still do not move Gagner unless you have a guy to fit into the 2c spot. This season he has stepped up and made up for RHN this season.
He was a teammate of Fowler for one season in Windsor.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:37 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers89 View Post
elaborating on what I said earlier to add nick foligno, if we could also add brouwer it was make us bigger and stronger and both guys can score

maybe. Hemsky+ for Foligno
and
Harty+ for Brouwer.

Foligno-Nuge-Eb
Hall-Gags-Yak
Brouwer-Horc-Prv
Jones/Smyth/Petrell-Belanger/smyth-brown.
I really like both those deals. Could see both happening too: CLB gets more skill & loses some grit while WSH dumps some salary.

No need to change the lines though.

Hall-Horcoff-Brouwer (hard minutes)
Foligno-Nuge-Eberle
MPS- Gagner- Yak
Jones/Smyth-Belanger-Brown

Old
03-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Mr Sakich

If Philly gets desperate, would they do couturier for Gagner?

Old
03-19-2013, 10:12 PM
doubledown99

Get real Brouwer isn't getting traded. He's been one of their best players. And trying to acquire him now would cost even more with the start he has had. That is the exact opposite of asset optimization (buy high) and something that can cost an organization going forward.

By the way just read on Tor board earlier today and thought i would share. Did you know that Mtl offered Tampa Subban, Price and Paciorrety for Lecavalier and Tampa ownership turned them down? Back then the deal would have looked good for Mtl. Fast forward to today and Mtl would have been the joke of the league.

Closed Thread