HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Tavares vs Duchene vs Hall vs Seguin vs RNH

View Poll Results: Who has the brightest future?
John Tavares 158 79.00%
Matt Duchene 16 8.00%
Taylor Hall 10 5.00%
Tyler Seguin 9 4.50%
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 7 3.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2013, 08:32 AM
  #51
Razor29
0-0-0
 
Razor29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,259
vCash: 50
JT is becoming extremely overrated.

In context with Duchene:

1st:
JT 24-30-54
MD 24-31-55

2nd:
JT 29-38-67
MD 27-40-67

3rd: (MD w/ injury, and yes sub par play (also played injured))
JT 31-50-81
MD 14-14-28

4th: (Current)
JT 17-14-31
MD 12-19-31

So other than one bad season for Duchene where he had injuries, they have been on par for their entire careers (JT goal scorer, MD more of a playmaker).

Edit: And for those of you who don't like to use stats to prove equal abilities - Duchene has been a much better player defensively than Tavares, watch the games.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:37 AM
  #52
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,438
vCash: 500
Tavares followed by Duchene

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:38 AM
  #53
Jester9881
Registered User
 
Jester9881's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 6,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Mode View Post
JT is becoming extremely overrated.

In context with Duchene:

1st:
JT 24-30-54
MD 24-31-55

2nd:
JT 29-38-67
MD 27-40-67

3rd: (MD w/ injury, and yes sub par play (also played injured))
JT 31-50-81
MD 14-14-28

4th: (Current)
JT 17-14-31
MD 12-19-31

So other than one bad season for Duchene where he had injuries, they have been on par for their entire careers (JT goal scorer, MD more of a playmaker).

Edit: And for those of you who don't like to use stats to prove equal abilities - Duchene has been a much better player defensively than Tavares, watch the games.
How about international play? Where Tavares was centering the 3rd line and outscored everyone multiple times?

How close were they before JT got the flu and cooled off? Funny how none of this talk came up until then. Talk to me at the end of the season.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:04 AM
  #54
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 2,069
vCash: 500
Difficult poll, especially since there is quite a difference in how many games they have played: JT 271, MD 246, TH 151, TS 182, RNH 89...

Judging after their respective rookie seasons only I'd rank them: RNH, MD, JT, TH, TS.

Including sophomore seasons: TH, JT, TS, MD, RNH (I know his season isn't over but I doubt he'll be able to catch up to the others).

Including 3rd season: JT, TH, TS, MD.

Including 4th season: JT, MD.

This I base on watching them play and considering their respective stats. Now if we're talking about brightest future I find it difficult not to be a homer since I think that all of these players have had comparable careers so far (taking into consideration that some have played significantly fewer games and/or have had injuries slowing them down) and it's anyone's guess who will come out on top 3-4 years from now.

So, great players and great potential in all of them but my very personal list is: TH, TS, RNH, JT, MD. All will be amongst the top 15 forwards in the league .

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:18 AM
  #55
cgf
Aves Fan
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,934
vCash: 500
Tavares
Duchene
RNH
Hall
Seguin

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:21 AM
  #56
Rhino Rilley
Registered User
 
Rhino Rilley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
How about international play? Where Tavares was centering the 3rd line and outscored everyone multiple times?

How close were they before JT got the flu and cooled off? Funny how none of this talk came up until then. Talk to me at the end of the season.
The most recent international play was the spengler cup where duchene was voted as Canadas best centre over tavares. Duchene also has a higher ppg while playing in a lower scoring conference which is relevant since there is only interconference play this season. Duchene has also been the better even strength player sitting at 8th overall in even strength points and secong in the western conference while Tavares sits 40th overall. Tavares has more power play points however the islanders as a team have had over 20 more powerplays than the avalanche and he has played 3.29 minutes of power play time compared to duchenes 2.53. When im in the playoffs and penalties arent called as often the better even strength player is more valuable.

The avalanche as a team has also had more penalties than the isles giving Tavares more oppurtunity to score as his team isnt always shorthanded as much. Duchene has been used on Colorados top pk and has a faceoff percentage of 55.4 compared to tavares' 47.8. Duchene has been vastly more physical registering near 4x as many hits as tavares, 2x as many blocked shots and more takeaways. Tavares also gives up 2x as many giveaways compared to duchene.

The linemate argument is irrelevent now that pap has continued his success i refuse any islander fans notion that Tavares has turned moulson from an ahler into a 30 goal scorer. If Tavares turns ahl players like pap into 67 point scorers than duchene turns ahlers like pap into ppg all stars as thats what pap has been this year. Lastly duchene is second onlyy to crosby in percentage of points on team goals so any argument saying tavares is more important to his teams scoring is incorrect

You can say Tavares has more potential and he for sure has proven more but this season they have been equal if theres an edge to be given its to duchene

Rhino Rilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:23 AM
  #57
cgf
Aves Fan
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
No he hasnt been as good this season.
I dunno man, I tend to give it Tavares, but it's been extremely close again this season, just like it was their first two years.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:15 PM
  #58
Toydarian
Registered User
 
Toydarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,563
vCash: 500
This is an excellent example of the HF mindset. If this poll were done last season it would be:

1. Tavares
2. RNH
3. Seguin
4. Hall
5. Duchene

Goes to show people just pick which player is doing the best ATM and has nothing to do with "in the future"


Last edited by Toydarian: 03-19-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:54 PM
  #59
Razor29
0-0-0
 
Razor29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,259
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvan97 View Post
Hall is better than RNH right now, and has been better than Seguin their entire career. Therefore, he should be in everyone's top 3. Anyone that suggests Seguin is better or has higher potential than Hall is either biased against the Oilers or doesn't watch the games.
Arguments can be made for all players. This poll is a matter of opinion, not fact.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:02 PM
  #60
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar McLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Mode View Post
Arguments can be made for all players. This poll is a matter of opinion, not fact.
Hall has outproduced Seguin every season so far. This is a matter of fact, not opinion.

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:07 PM
  #61
adorno
%!&
 
adorno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 387
vCash: 500
Tavares
Duchene
Hall


RNH/Seguin

adorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:08 PM
  #62
AKL
#AnyoneButThem
 
AKL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: Nauru
Posts: 8,448
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Hall has outproduced Seguin every season so far. This is a matter of fact, not opinion.
Good thing the poll question is

Quote:
Which of these 5 players will have the brightest NHL future and which has the highest potential?
And not

Quote:
Which player has outproduced the other players every season so far?

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:27 PM
  #63
bearcountry17
Registered User
 
bearcountry17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Shore, MA
Posts: 1,091
vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Hall has outproduced Seguin every season so far. This is a matter of fact, not opinion.
He's had better PPG, but ice time has to be taken into consideration when talking about production. Seguin has less ES and PP time than Hall every year because of the depths of their respective lineups. Seguin also dominates Hall in even strength scoring which everyone knows is an extremely important recipe for team success.

bearcountry17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:32 PM
  #64
Senor Catface
Registered User
 
Senor Catface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Nepal
Posts: 6,274
vCash: 1937
It's interesting to note that every single season Hall has matched Tavares PPG, almost to the dot.

But one falls awkwardly in a fight and gets his face stepped on and is labelled injury-prone.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:59 PM
  #65
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,318
vCash: 500
Don't really understand how Tavares is considered to be leagues ahead of Duchene...

They both have 31 points, Tavares in 28 games Duchene in 27...

They've been on top of each other for production in 3 of the 4 years they've been in the league. The only season in which they weren't Duchene played 25+ of his 50 games injured.


Tavares is better then Duchene, but its A LOT closer then some are saying it to be.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:02 PM
  #66
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
So, great players and great potential in all of them but my very personal list is: TH, TS, RNH, JT, MD. All will be amongst the top 15 forwards in the league .
What??? Tavares and Duchene as the bottom 2?

I really hope that list goes 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and not the other way, cause that is just horrible otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
How about international play? Where Tavares was centering the 3rd line and outscored everyone multiple times?

How close were they before JT got the flu and cooled off? Funny how none of this talk came up until then. Talk to me at the end of the season.
Really, your going to try and use a "flu" as an argument... Thanks for making your argument even weaker.

Tavares had a slow patch, so did Duchene at one point. And if you want to play the stupid "injury/flu" game, then Duchenes slow streak came while he was playing with a stretched groin.

Tavares and Duchene are playing on very close levels this year. In fact last year was the only year of the 4 they have played together in which they didn't play on a very close level.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:52 PM
  #67
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1
 
Mc5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 13,094
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
Good thing the poll question is



And not
Good thing past production is usually a solid indicator of future potential

Mc5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:58 PM
  #68
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
 
ANewHope's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino Rilley View Post
The most recent international play was the spengler cup where duchene was voted as Canadas best centre over tavares. Duchene also has a higher ppg while playing in a lower scoring conference which is relevant since there is only interconference play this season. Duchene has also been the better even strength player sitting at 8th overall in even strength points and secong in the western conference while Tavares sits 40th overall. Tavares has more power play points however the islanders as a team have had over 20 more powerplays than the avalanche and he has played 3.29 minutes of power play time compared to duchenes 2.53. When im in the playoffs and penalties arent called as often the better even strength player is more valuable.

The avalanche as a team has also had more penalties than the isles giving Tavares more oppurtunity to score as his team isnt always shorthanded as much. Duchene has been used on Colorados top pk and has a faceoff percentage of 55.4 compared to tavares' 47.8. Duchene has been vastly more physical registering near 4x as many hits as tavares, 2x as many blocked shots and more takeaways. Tavares also gives up 2x as many giveaways compared to duchene.

The linemate argument is irrelevent now that pap has continued his success i refuse any islander fans notion that Tavares has turned moulson from an ahler into a 30 goal scorer. If Tavares turns ahl players like pap into 67 point scorers than duchene turns ahlers like pap into ppg all stars as thats what pap has been this year. Lastly duchene is second onlyy to crosby in percentage of points on team goals so any argument saying tavares is more important to his teams scoring is incorrect

You can say Tavares has more potential and he for sure has proven more but this season they have been equal if theres an edge to be given its to duchene
This. Seriously, people need to take notice of the season Duchene is having. His 5 vs 5 play has been one of the best in the league so far. He's been doing it all on a team that's a mess, more a mess than the Isles.

As for going forward I won't comment on that. Too much potential, things will probably change on a season to season basis. For this season and this season alone I'd rank them as

Duchene/JT
Hall
Seguin

RNH

ANewHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:31 PM
  #69
AKL
#AnyoneButThem
 
AKL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: Nauru
Posts: 8,448
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Good thing past production is usually a solid indicator of future potential
And good thing when comparing Hall and Seguin's pasts, there's nothing to say Hall will be better in the future with 100% certainty.

Besides, the first part of the question is which has the brightest future. If you wanna compare their pasts, it looks like Hall will be injured for a lot of his career, and he'll win no cups, while Seguin will be healthy and winning at least one more cup.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:06 AM
  #70
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 2,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
What??? Tavares and Duchene as the bottom 2?

I really hope that list goes 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and not the other way, cause that is just horrible otherwise.
No, If you read the paragraph before I do explain the reasoning for my ranking. All great players with great potential to become part of the top tier of forwards in the NHL, the issue is that we're talking about the future here and I think that it is easier to select JT and MD (as most posters have) due to the fact that they have played significantly more games. You are welcome to call my ranking horrible in about 3 years when we'll know the results . It's very possible that I am wrong.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 05:26 PM
  #71
timekeep
Registered User
 
timekeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,320
vCash: 500
in regards to future potential

Tavares, Hall/Duchene, Seguin, RNH

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:26 PM
  #72
Midnight Oil
Registered User
 
Midnight Oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,618
vCash: 500
RNH for me.

Midnight Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:59 PM
  #73
jarmoismyhero
Registered User
 
jarmoismyhero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
I am sticking by:
JT


Duchene/RHN/Seguin
Hall

All 5 ahould be great players
I am still high on RNH even with horrible season so far this year.

And before Oil fans come on here and trash me having hall last it has more to do with position since I think JT will and is on another lever and the other 4 will be fairly even.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:33 PM
  #74
WornWithPride
Registered User
 
WornWithPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Town in Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,938
vCash: 500
Voted Duchene, cause I gotz a man crush on him.

WornWithPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:11 PM
  #75
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie
 
Stephen Goalbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,376
vCash: 500
Duchene
Tavares


Hall

Seguin

RNH

Stephen Goalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.