Draft Watch 2013

Old
03-19-2013, 08:22 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
These teams obsessing over Geno Smith should be having their scouts telling them that the possibility of getting a better QB is better next year with multiple potential prospects to be had.

I think Geno Smith is going to go #2 no matter what happens, unless Andy Reid is fine with drafting Eric Fisher. But if I were him, I'd still draft the guy someone else wanted and make the trade later a la Eli/Rivers in 2004.
With the wage scale the way it is now, it makes sense to gamble on a QB now and just draft one again in a couple of seasons if he doesn't work out. To me, that is a better strategy than doing what KC is doing. Honestly, their strategy seems to be mirroring what Miami did with Jake Long.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:23 PM
VLoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
So if the Chiefs don't take Geno(which I think they won't), I doubt he gets past the Jags.

It might be a smokescreen, but they've scouted him, had a film session with him, and interacted with him alot. They sent the cavalry basically to understand Geno. I dunno, I think they'll end up taking him if he's there.
I have no idea how I feel about the Jags going for Geno. Well yes I do, I don't want him. He might be a slight upgrade at QB this year, but I'd like to give Gabbert another season, plus next year's crop is ridiculous. Geno is probably the #4 or #5 ranked QB if he was in the draft next year. I'd shore up some other needs and be willing to package some futures together to move up if need be in 2014.

So I guess I'm just praying it's a smokescreen. Geno is awful value at #2 in my opinion.

VLoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:25 PM
VLoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
With the wage scale the way it is now, it makes sense to gamble on a QB now and just draft one again in a couple of seasons if he doesn't work out. To me, that is a better strategy than doing what KC is doing. Honestly, their strategy seems to be mirroring what Miami did with Jake Long.
KC is an interesting situation, simply because(after drafting Joeckel) they'd pretty much be a top end QB away from being an elite team. Another team I'd look to package future picks to move up in 2014.

VLoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
If the first QB doesn't work out though, what are the chances the coach is around long enough for the next QB? Unless the said coach has a proven track record of success (often with that team), they're not around long enough to try another QB when the first one fails. If you don't draft one, at least you can say you never had one and/or didn't want the one that was available. That would probably buy a coach an extra year or two. Of course, they look stupid when they pass on a QB when it was a position of need and said QB goes on to set the world ablaze.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:02 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 50
Quote:
Or like the Rams did with Orlando Pace. Or Minnesota with Ron Yary.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:00 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLoo View Post
I have no idea how I feel about the Jags going for Geno. Well yes I do, I don't want him. He might be a slight upgrade at QB this year, but I'd like to give Gabbert another season, plus next year's crop is ridiculous. Geno is probably the #4 or #5 ranked QB if he was in the draft next year. I'd shore up some other needs and be willing to package some futures together to move up if need be in 2014.

So I guess I'm just praying it's a smokescreen. Geno is awful value at #2 in my opinion.
I have the same thoughts on Geno from the Eagles perspective. Give Foles a shot or Vick's last hurrah. If you think Foles is the future you're fine, if you don't there is a heck of a lotta talent up high. Not to mention Clowney and Lee could also go.

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:54 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Or like the Rams did with Orlando Pace. Or Minnesota with Ron Yary.
Andy Reid better start scouring the supermarkets for his next superstar. Although in KC, maybe he should start with the BBQ restaurants.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 05:32 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
These teams obsessing over Geno Smith should be having their scouts telling them that the possibility of getting a better QB is better next year with multiple potential prospects to be had.
The problem with this line of thinking is that things change. A team like the Eagles picking #4 won't even remotely be considering that they'll be picking top 3 next year, and if they're not, they know they won't have a chance at a QB.

Additionally, and maybe even more to the point, the grass isn't always greener. Everyone always says "it's better next year." Sometimes it works out that way, sometimes it doesn't. Matt Barkley looked pretty awesome to teams last year saying "ah no worries, we'll get a QB next year." Now they'll gloss over him like he doesn't exist.

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:57 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click Here View Post
The problem with this line of thinking is that things change. A team like the Eagles picking #4 won't even remotely be considering that they'll be picking top 3 next year, and if they're not, they know they won't have a chance at a QB.

Additionally, and maybe even more to the point, the grass isn't always greener. Everyone always says "it's better next year." Sometimes it works out that way, sometimes it doesn't. Matt Barkley looked pretty awesome to teams last year saying "ah no worries, we'll get a QB next year." Now they'll gloss over him like he doesn't exist.
Exactly, great points. Jake Locker is another guy who had his stock drop in his final year of college ball. Could probably include Bradford as well but he still went 1st overall. It wouldn't shock me if Bridgewater's no longer considered a top ten pick at this time next year. I doubt it happens but it wouldn't be shocking if it did.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Not this draft but:

Chris Clark ‏@GCChrisClark
Clowney just blocked a field goal by kicking it out of the holder's hand. I'm serious.

03-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://twitter.com/BFeldmanCBS/statu...77448378650624
Quote:
Manti Te'o just ran unofficially a 4.75 40 according to ESPN at Notre Dame's Pro Day.
Lol.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:45 PM
Nazem Bozak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Not this draft but:

Chris Clark ‏@GCChrisClark
Clowney just blocked a field goal by kicking it out of the holder's hand. I'm serious.
He is going to be so unbelievably good it will be unreal.

Nazem Bozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Apparently Rick Spielman and the Vikings really like Manti Te'o.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:23 PM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Apparently Rick Spielman and the Vikings really like Manti Te'o.
Reaching for need may quickly become Spielman's trademark move. Te'o won't be as bad of a reach as Ponder, but you don't take 2-down MLBs in the 1st round let alone ones with baggage. That would be bad enough, I could see us packaging up multiple picks to move up and grab him.

It would be nice to go into a draft not expecting 2-3 immediate starters and taking the best player on the board instead of penciling in "starting MLB" by round and taking whomever is available regardless of their value.

All that said, I would love to get Te'o on the team. Maybe package off one of the 1st to move back and pick up additional picks, then nab Te'o near the top of the 2nd round.

Vikes have 1st round needs at every position outside of RB, TE and OT. There is absolutely no reason to focus on any player or position.

JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:37 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

If the Vikings want him, they'll probably have to take him at #23 or #25 unless they can find a team that wants to move up a few spots.

Mayock's take:

Quote:
NFL Network's Mike Mayock, however, still sees first-round material.

"I believe it," Mayock told "NFL AM" on Tuesday from South Bend, Ind. "Here's what I think is going to happen. I think the interest in (Te'o) will start approximately at 19 with the Giants, 20 with Chicago. The real soft spot is Minnesota -- they have two first-round picks, 23 and 25. They lost their inside linebacker, Jasper Brinkley, to free agency, and their general manager, Rick Spielman, who's here by the way, has a history of drafting Notre Dame players that have played really well. So 23, 25 to me is a logical place, 28 to Denver perhaps, or even Baltimore at 32 because we know they have a big hole in the middle of that defense."

Added Mayock: "You either like this kid and you believe he's a three-down linebacker and hence worthy of a first-round pick, or you don't."

Old
04-14-2013, 09:48 PM
JCD

Quote:
If the Vikings want him, they'll probably have to take him at #23 or #25 unless they can find a team that wants to move up a few spots.

Mayock's take:
Great. I can see Spielman trading one of our 1sts and a 2nd to jump up to the top-16 for Te'o.

I wish the Vikes would take a play from the Pats. Use Free Agency to get all your starters penciled in (... even if they are just placeholder types), stockpile draft choices by trading back, then use the draft to pluck the best players left on the board regardless of position. That constant influx of youth is how they have stayed contenders for over a decade now.
=

Old
04-14-2013, 10:24 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Other than reaching for Ponder, I think Spielman has done a good job. Vikings had a really good draft last year.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Apparently Mathieu has had 10+ failed drug tests at LSU. He 'lost count after 10'. I honestly wouldn't touch him before the 6th.

I'm not a Te'o fan at all, but I don't think the Vikings will need to trade up to get him. I think he's a bad prospect and I can't see other teams reaching for him.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:32 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

I'm am very scared Te'overrated will end up a Viking. I'm hoping Chicago or Cincy take him and save me the stress on draft day.

I much prefer Arthur Brown or Alec Ogletree. Other than Te'o or reaching for someone complete awful the wall there is no way the Vikes could upset me with that pick. There are a few WR, DT, LB and CB I like in those slots. Hell I'd even be happy if Werner fell to them and they took him even though we don't need a DE.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:45 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
I'm am very scared Te'overrated will end up a Viking. I'm hoping Chicago or Cincy take him and save me the stress on draft day.

I much prefer Arthur Brown or Alec Ogletree. Other than Te'o or reaching for someone complete awful the wall there is no way the Vikes could upset me with that pick. There are a few WR, DT, LB and CB I like in those slots. Hell I'd even be happy if Werner fell to them and they took him even though we don't need a DE.
Ogletree? Really? The moron that got arrested right before the combine?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 06:42 AM
JCD

Quote:
Other than reaching for Ponder, I think Spielman has done a good job. Vikings had a really good draft last year.
Last year was our best draft in eons.

But the bad reach on Ponder still hangs heavy on Spielman and the franchise. That was worse than last year was great. Everybody knew Ponder was a mistake from day one.

Old
04-15-2013, 06:44 AM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post

Allen, Griffin and Robison are all FA after this year, DE is absolutely a need position.

Love to get Werner if he is there. Far more than Te'o.

Old
04-15-2013, 06:45 AM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
Not in the 1st. He would be worse than Te'o IMO

Old
04-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Allen, Griffin and Robison are all FA after this year, DE is absolutely a need position.

Love to get Werner if he is there. Far more than Te'o.
I know. What I meant was DE isn't a need in 2013. Unless it's a RB, TE or T I'm taking the BPA at #23 and #25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
Yes. Ogletree is a better player than Te'o and there's always a chance he can clean up his act. And it's not like he'd be the first NFL player to get arrested and have a successful career.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:58 AM
Bad News Bears
MACHADO ABOUT NOTHIN

vCash: 623
What are people's thoughts on the Raiders picking at 3? Are they taking Star or someone for the OL? Geno if he's still there? Or do you think they'll trade down?

Bad News Bears is offline   Reply With Quote