HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you have a bone in your body that can root for your team to tank?

View Poll Results: Do you have a bone in your body that can root for your team to tank?
Yes, I can root for them to tank 45 50.00%
No, it invalidates every fiber of my fandom 45 50.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-19-2013, 09:31 PM
dawkins121

vCash: 500
If we clearly aren't contenders then I like the idea of bottoming out for a high pick in theory, but when I actually watch the games it's impossible not to root for them.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Curufinwe

I feel like keeping Laviolette as coach is tanking. He's clearly shown he can't get this current group to play properly. They are often embarrassing to watch.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:16 AM
daynus

lol this is pretty good and funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I feel like keeping Laviolette as coach is tanking. He's clearly shown he can't get this current group to play properly. They are often embarrassing to watch.
but seriously why bring in a coach
with 2-3rds of the season done. let lavy finish the season, then fire him. their will be lots of good coaches to choose from. then implement the system, start coaching the boys. get them ready for training camp, and figure out the lines and go from their.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:40 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
I voted yes and after reading some more comments after making my first I have a few points Id like to bring up to further my stance for this team to "tank."

-Strike shortened season will forever be in the history books with an asterik, there will be no asterik after Seth Jones' name. The draft is stocked to the gills with top-tier talent.

-A top 5 pick of Drouin/MacKinnon/Nichushkin/Zadorov/Barkov would go a LONG way to adding some depth to the prospect pool and could have an immpediate NHL impact even if we dont land Jones. Draft another Center/Best available and you can move Cousins, Laughton or even Courturier for a #1 Defenseman during Free Agency.

-While I absolutely distain the Penguins tanking in the 80's and 00's I dont feel as if the Flyers will ever truly "tank" in the same manner, consecutively.

-I personally do not think Claude was given ample time to rehab his wrists after them being broken by Sidney last year.

-To touch further on CURRENT roster issues starting at the beginning of the season; They never signed a backup goaltender, leaving Bryz to basically start all 48 games this season. Now, while I feel he should earn that 5M+ annual contract but having to spell him with Leighton and Boucher is downright criminal. Signing Fedotenko, Gervais, Foster were reactionary signings because Holmgren knew he was in trouble this year with the lack of prospect and talent depth.

I guess I expected this season from the Flyers so I found myself not too shocked when they started to drop back to back games every week. I feel as if the team has been bamboozled by the allure of prospects now at the NHL level. They cant make up their collective mind as to what sort of player they need to draft in the later rounds and it makes the first 3 rounds, when they actually have draft picks, all the more important.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:42 AM
JagerPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
It really sucks to know that Lavi has most assuredly worn out his welcome in Philadelphia.
I like him as a coach and he will have more opportunities but its just not coming across in this locker room with these players. Unfortunately, the coach gets fired. Not the players.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:47 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
It really sucks to know that Lavi has most assuredly worn out his welcome in Philadelphia.
I like him as a coach and he will have more opportunities but its just not coming across in this locker room with these players. Unfortunately, the coach gets fired. Not the players.
We already got rid of them once and brought in a new goalie. It is time for lavy to go.

Edit: He should have been gone after that terrible loss to Pittsburgh.

Last edited by FLYERSFAN18: 03-20-2013 at 08:58 AM.
FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:24 AM
PAZUZU

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I still have 4 or 5 games I'm going to, I'm not paying to hope they lose.
i voted no, and i'm in the same boat as you.

PAZUZU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:46 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
I don't feel that way.

I can't stand laviolettes system, it makes me so angry. I tolerated it when we were winning games, but its a gimmick system with a shelf life.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:53 PM
MR28
McDavid pls

at some point you have to realize we aren't good enough to achieve the main goal. winning the cup.
as a fan you also have to see what is the best possible way to get there and it's by doing poorly the rest of the year and rebuilding the team.
I won't root against but I definitely do not care if we win.

MR28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I never root for them to fail. Each and every game is worth winning, even outside of the context of a playoff run or the standings. You play every game to win. That's all there is to it for me.

However, now that the stakes are lower, losses tend to frustrate me less, and I find more enjoyment in watching the games comes from looking at the talent on the team and trying to figure out what they should do going forward. Basically once the team is out of the play-offs I root less and scout more.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:54 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
Seasons like this, where it's already a total fluke (48 game season), I don't mind the team looking bad, even given the amount of talent they have, and ESPECIALLY because of the amount of talent in this upcoming draft.

When I look at the big picture of this, which includes the cap situation and prospects, that makes it easier to accept a bad season. The Flyers have a ton of skill on this roster, but they're far from perfect. And you can't keep building a roster out of blockbuster trades and throwing the bank at free agents.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:32 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I will never root for them to tank.. but there comes a point where losses don't effect me anymore. Flyers are at that point now, I am just kinda, meh, another loss.
stopped caring about 2 weeks ago. I am also in this boat - "it is what it is"

If they lose they better lose with fight, if not it's embarrassing (like so much of tis season).

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:07 PM
MountainHawk

I don't want them to tank, i.e. intentionally lose.

However, at this point, I'm not hoping they win too many more either.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Nuclear

I don't think we'll win the Seth Jones sweepstakes by being the worst in the league, but as long as we get someone in the draft who makes this season less miserable, I can tolerate the losses

Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:22 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

To truly ensure a tank- they probably need to start selling off pieces. All the rumors im hearing are about trading for Iginlia and Jagr. Utterly stupid moves.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
To truly ensure a tank- they probably need to start selling off pieces. All the rumors im hearing are about trading for Iginlia and Jagr. Utterly stupid moves.
I haven't heard a lot of rumors regarding these two actually. The Jagr rumor came up because a league executive told Lebrun:
Quote:
"Crazy thought from one NHL team executive Tuesday: Would the Flyers make a pitch to bring Jagr back to Philadelphia to play with Claude Giroux? Seems odd for the Flyers -- who aren’t in a playoff spot -- to make a play for a rental player. But Jagr was such a good fit for Giroux last season ... Stranger things have happened. "
That was just an opinion of a league executive, nothing substantial. Also we have been scouting Dallas, but Timmy P reported earlier today it was because of Morrow. I haven't heard our named mention at all in the Iggy sweepstakes. Supposedly he gave a list of five teams(LA,Bos,Pitt,Van,Det).

We need one injury to one of our top players to ensure a tank, and I don't want that to happen. Or we can go Pitt on everyones ***** and play 3rd/4th liners on the PP for the rest of the year!

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Rocky Raccoon

I'm kind of an embarrassed that almost 50% can root for the Flyers to lose. Dear Lord.

Like others have said, yeah, sometimes it gets to the point where losses don't affect you because you know they're not going anywhere...but to actually root for them to lose? No way.

Rocky Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:53 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raccoon View Post
I'm kind of an embarrassed that almost 50% can root for the Flyers to lose. Dear Lord.

Like others have said, yeah, sometimes it gets to the point where losses don't affect you because you know they're not going anywhere...but to actually root for them to lose? No way.
Honestly I don't think it's that with any of the fellas here. It is now about trimming the fat while keeping the future contributors...and keeping in mind that another key player might require a high pick.

When Pittsburgh did it, they traded everyone short of Mario and iced a team full of Rico Fata aside from him. Flyers are already have a good head start on this as far as talented youth at forward goes--but do need some good fortune (high pick?) landing a #1 dman.

So hell no you don't lose on purpose. You trim the fat and see where the next draft takes you.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:56 AM
BernieParent

Quote:

Take the time to read the nuances of the posts of people, myself included, who voted for "tanking", without a set definition of what the word even means.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:45 AM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
This far in a season, it would be unwise to not tank, in my opinion. I rather have a team tank, attempt to stay healthy for next season, take your losses(considering it's a shortened season). Rather than dive/complain, which seems to be the new trend of the NHL.

Last edited by seanerixon: 03-24-2013 at 05:26 AM.
seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:49 AM
JagerPuck

Quote:

I dont really think an HF fan is sitting here on this forum saying "LOSE TONIGHT" but we are extremely concerned about this club and its direction. Like BernieParent said, I dont think you read some of the opinons of those who did vote to tank.
This isnt a playoff team, talent level is not on par with the best in the league and the glaring holes within the organization are absolutely crippling to the product on the ice.

Not to mention that ticket sales are down because theyre parading a miserable sack of losers on the ice like Briere, Gervais, Foster, Fedotenko and every single goaltender in teh organization.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:56 AM
Prongo
Beer

2013 NHL Draft Lottery Projections: 1. FLA (25.0%); 2. WSH (18.8%); 3. BUF (14.2%); 4. COL (10.7%); 5. PHI (8.1%); 6. TBL (6.2%). 7. NSH (4.7%); 8. CGY (3.6%); 9. NYI (2.7%); 10. EDM (2.1%); 11. DAL (1.5%); 12. CBJ (1.1%); 13. PHX (0.8%); 14. NJD (0.5%).

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:25 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
2013 NHL Draft Lottery Projections: 1. FLA (25.0%); 2. WSH (18.8%); 3. BUF (14.2%); 4. COL (10.7%); 5. PHI (8.1%); 6. TBL (6.2%). 7. NSH (4.7%); 8. CGY (3.6%); 9. NYI (2.7%); 10. EDM (2.1%); 11. DAL (1.5%); 12. CBJ (1.1%); 13. PHX (0.8%); 14. NJD (0.5%).
I like those odds!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:38 AM
poneill27

No I cannot root for them to lose....But when they lose now it isn't so bad knowing the consolation prize might be an elite player. In this shortened season it seems to make it easier to not do as well. I do find myself rooting for all the other bottom feeders though. We're not making the playoffs so we may as well get the best pick we can. I've been a Flyers fan since 1985 and it is a weird position to be in for sure!

poneill27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:27 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

IMO anyone who roots for their team to lose is, by definition, a loser.