HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #9

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 05:54 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 500
I'm not going to crap on Bob, because he's been great, but let's see how he handles his second year in the West when every team has gotten a look or two at him. He performed really well during his rookie year here, but his flaws were exploited pretty easily last season during his second year in the conference.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:54 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I'm not going to crap on Bob, because he's been great, but let's see how he handles his second year in the West when every team has gotten a look or two at him. He performed really well during his rookie year here, but his flaws were exploited pretty easily last season during his second year in the conference.
He will be in the east next year

Old
03-18-2013, 05:56 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
He will be in the east next year
True. But the point still stands. He'll have to prove that he doesn't make the same mistakes in positioning that he was making during his second year.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
He's corrected a lot of his flaws. He isn't getting sniped up high nearly as much anymore.

03-18-2013, 06:01 PM
LegionOfDoom91

From my understand Bob's not going into the butterfly as much this year. He's making himself look bigger in the net.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:07 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He's corrected a lot of his flaws. He isn't getting sniped up high nearly as much anymore.
If that's the case, then I stand corrected. There's no doubt that he's got top-flight athleticism, so any positional advancements will do him an extreme amount of good. But hey, we have Bryz, no worries. Kind of.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Quote:
If that's the case, then I stand corrected. There's no doubt that he's got top-flight athleticism, so any positional advancements will do him an extreme amount of good. But hey, we have Bryz, no worries. Kind of.
Kind of. Not really.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:17 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Kind of. Not really.
That's really the best I could do in support.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:48 PM
snoop88

amazing.

you mean a 24 year old actually improved on his game in between his 2nd and 3rd season?

glad we traded him so we could sign the 32 year old nutcase to a bajillion dollar contract.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:15 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
The first bold item is laughable at best. The guy hasn't finished inside the top 20 in either GAA or save % his first year here and it doesn't look like its gonna happen this season.

The second bold you have zero proof of. The kid was phenomenal 3/4 of his rookie season and this organization bailed on him. I fault Lavi for the goalie circus in '11. Should have never benched Bob.

Then he gives Bob the WC start and just because we lost that he benches Bob again.

Bob gets traded and is given the starter position again and goes back into beast mode.

No surprise.
i blame lavi for a lot of things these days. the more i look at our team the more i see a team that needs a new coach not a new team. and the only thing laughable is how everything in your mind revolves around bryzgalov's numbers. stop living in the past. bob is gone. get over it. bryz is our guy. he plays every goddem game and plays pretty dam good on a team that opens the offensive floodgates way less than it should for what were built to do in terms of speed and talent. some nights we can't score for ****.

Last edited by funghoul: 03-18-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old
03-18-2013, 11:28 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Man, after seeing Bryz on post-game live, I can't help but feel bad for the guy. I really think he cares and wants to win. He seemed so dejected after the game. I'm not the biggest Bryz fan, but I'm pretty sure he is giving it his all everynight and sometimes he's the scapegoat. (Most times it is deserved but sometimes it's not).

Old
03-18-2013, 11:30 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
Man, after seeing Bryz on post-game live, I can't help but feel bad for the guy. I really think he cares and wants to win. He seemed so dejected after the game. I'm not the biggest Bryz fan, but I'm pretty sure he is giving it his all everynight and sometimes he's the scapegoat. (Most times it is deserved but sometimes it's not).
Like they say..the opposition is not going to feel sorry for you so they should stop being sorry at themselves..

Old
03-18-2013, 11:54 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Like they say..the opposition is not going to feel sorry for you so they should stop being sorry at themselves..

Haha true. Nevertheless, I just looked at Bryz's numbers, you gotta be able to maintain over a .900 save % with the contract he has. .885 save % against the lightning tonight, these poor save % outings are really unacceptable at this point.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I will say this in Bryz's defense, though. Even though he's not playing like an elite goalie, given his play as it stands, if the rest of the team performed as they should (not overachieve, just play to their standard) we would've been higher in the standings.
completely right: these goals go in on every team

odd man rushes:

http://video.predators.nhl.com/video...ed-share-video

turnover, man in mostly alone:

deflection:

http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videoce...ed-share-video

Old
03-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

If Bryz performed up to expected standards, we'd be higher in the standings as well. It's a two way street.

And once again, for the gazillionth time, we know those goals in on other goalies. The problem is that they go in at a higher rate for Bryzgalov.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:47 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Like Meltzer said..there is NO excuse for Bryz to have the save percentage he has...defensive breakdowns or not. He is not the sole problem just part of it...

Old
03-19-2013, 11:56 AM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
completely right: these goals go in on every team

odd man rushes:

turnover, man in mostly alone:

deflection:

http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videoce...ed-share-video
what would explain goalies with higher save percentages on teams with much less skill and a worse defense then the Flyers? coaching? bad luck?

Old
03-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If Bryz performed up to expected standards, we'd be higher in the standings as well. It's a two way street.
Yeah, definitely, I wasn't suggesting anything different.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
what would explain goalies with higher save percentages on teams with much less skill and a worse defense then the Flyers? coaching? bad luck?
I think the Flyers have the worst team defense in the league, mainly due to coaching.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:53 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
I don't feel bad for him at all. He has "only" made over $10M already. He probably gets another year and another $8M to prove he can be the man. He is the scapegoat, sometimes deserved, sometimes not, but that is what happens when you sign a large contract like that. The expectations that come with that kind of contract might be fair, might not be fair, but it is what it is.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I think the Flyers have the worst team defense in the league, mainly due to coaching.
Edmonton is far and away the worst. Studies have shown a very strong correlation between shots allowed and scoring chances. The Flyers as a team are 7th overall in fewest shots allowed per game, meaning they're also allowing a smaller amount of scoring chances overall than roughly 2/3 of the league; there would have to be a massive deviation to put them towards the bottom in scoring chances against, considering the shots they allow. Yet, they're 24th in goals against per game. Considering the goaltender has a sub-900 save percentage, that makes sense. It's more an indictment of Bryz than it is the defense.

If Bryz were facing the 33.6 shots per game Edmonton's goalies average, his GAA would be 3.53 GAA, compared to his current 2.79. It's generally agreed upon by all the hockey brains that SV% is the stat most owned by the goalie, and that's the number you get if you apply his save percentage.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:16 PM
MsWoof

Bob gets another win tonight, 4-3 and it ties the Jackets for 8th place in the west. Amazing!

Old
03-19-2013, 09:36 PM
bennysflyers16

Pavlac with 2 insane saves to get Jets another win. So depressing watching a goalie steal games.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:38 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Pavlac with 2 insane saves to get Jets another win. So depressing watching a goalie steal games.
Bryz stole the win against the Devils.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Bob gets another win tonight, 4-3 and it ties the Jackets for 8th place in the west. Amazing!
Grats again Bob...

its awesome to see him doing well, even thou its still painful.

Closed Thread