HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs lose 3-2 in OT

Old
03-19-2013, 11:21 PM
ChuckieG

vCash: 500
We're going to have lose eventually and if this is the way we lost, I'm honestly not complaining. From the start of the second we dominated. Our finish was off, Enroth was good, it happens.

I don't really blame P.K for the loss but I just thought he was smarter than that. Why is he going to the huge hit when he could kept things simple? Even if it was a bad call, you don't put yourself in that situation knowing that your team has all the momentum. It was a dumb play. Learn from it and move on.

Last thing: I always knew Eller was good, but tonight, was something else. He's gotten much stronger on the puck, his defensive game has become exemplary, his vision has grown...It's just completely mind boggling to see him play with such confidence, it's on another level than anything we've ever seen of him. Him and Chuckie are really growing a great chemistry. I think they should get more opportunities on the PP. But Eller just..wow.

ChuckieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:22 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
No Vanek, I felt pretty confident going to SO. Just sayin.
They still have Pominville and Ennis who are usually money against us in the SO.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:23 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Yet, i also believe that what's equally pathetic is people protecting some of their players like he's never done anything wrong. If the idea is to try and have some nice debate and conversation, everything else that doesn't permit it, is indeed EQUALLY pathetic....The fact that you can't write on a freakin GAME DAY THREAD that Price gave a bad goal or you'll be called "having an agenda" or that it has to mean that you want him traded for a 7th rounder is equally pathetic. If that's what you mean...yet, I do agree. And personnaly, to keep repeating that lose = trade everybody, is just not made for a decent debate as it's totally untrue, makes no sense, and never happened in here. But if you think that's fine....
You don't seem to understand the difference between criticizing a player for a bad play and having an agenda and criticizing the player every time he makes a mistake.

You're too high strung to even understand what I'm saying. Having an agenda are the idiots who come on here and BASH Price as a goalie on every goal he lets in whether it's stoppable or not. You have posted here long enough to tell the difference.

Gio missed a slapper and some clown said he should be bought out. He has the right to say that...but he's an idiot.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Habs really killing the Sabres tank. Gave them 4 points, which is their cushion over being in line for 1st or 2nd overall.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
if it was anybody else but subban doing that play, literally eeeeverybody would be screaming to hang him by the balls.

but it's subban, so then it's ok, 'breath, we still got 17 points out of 18!'

'why must we always look for scapegoats?'

nothing wrong with calling a spade, a spade. he's young and he'll learn, but his selfish play cost us the extra point, in the same way that white cost us points earlier this season - and there is nothing wrong with pointing it out! doesn't mean we hate him; christ people stop defending him like he's family.
Some people just find it weird to blame a player for taking a phantom penalty on an innocuous play. Most of the people screaming bloody murder about it hadn't even seen the replay yet. Sounds like scapegoating to me.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Nedved

Quote:
if it was anybody else but subban doing that play, literally eeeeverybody would be screaming to hang him by the balls.

nothing wrong with calling a spade, a spade. he's young and he'll learn, but his selfish play cost us the extra point, in the same way that white cost us points earlier this season - and there is nothing wrong with pointing it out! doesn't mean we hate him; christ people stop defending him like he's family.

agenda.

this is not a place to discuss a player's decision on the ice, in o.t., where we lost to a team in the bottom of the basement rotting away.

it's the ref's fault for the miss call; not subban skating out of position going for the kill after the team battled back in the 3rd.

and if mt and pk agree with you, they're both wrong and don't understand their own agenda.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:28 PM
Craig71

Quote:

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:30 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I'm lovin' watching Eller discover his new super-power of out-muscling players off the puck. Those extra pounds plus his quick hands and feet have finally morphed him into a stud!
Same here. It is getting to the point where I feel like whenever he touches the puck he is going to make a terrific play. My confidence in him is quite high right now. He is showing great signs for his future and is playing like the top center on this team.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:33 PM
Tyson

Our two prize rookie forwards had the primary assists in the third to help the Habs get a point! Clutch young players!

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:34 PM
MarkovsKnee

Just wanted to add that Galchenyuk showed a lot of character tonight, especially since he was being questioned this week about not contributing offensively over the last couple of weeks. Then he comes up with that beautiful play off the boards tonight. The kid's awesome.

He's an NHLer. I don't care what anyone has to say about it. He's very good defensively too. I think the Ron Francis comparison is really good with him. He's going to be a strong two-way player.

Interesting that Gallagher was compared to Fleury on TSN tonight. I know a few people have thought the very same thing. It would be wonderful if Gally became as good offensively as Fleury was.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:34 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:

The Goods

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:37 PM
KerryFraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
PK is a great talent but he needed to look to make the simple play and he went for the big hit instead. He missed and was the victim of a bad call, unfortunately that put us in a pk situation which killed all the momentum of the third and Sabres shoot and goal. Game over, mistake admitted by PK and MT and what else can I say.
And people seemed to don't realize on the missed hit, if there was no call by the referee and the play goes on, PK was totally out of position after his attempt and that could cost us the game.

KerryFraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:41 PM
bib
#believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Pretty dumb stance for Therrien to take. Can only assume he hasn't seen the replay. Wanting your players to change their behavior because somebody else might screw up their job is a good way to have guys second guess themselves. It wasn't a missed hit that led to a scoring chance, it was a play that 999 times out of 1000 is called correctly.
I'm assuming you're talking about Subban's run at Pysyk.

It's not about changing his behavior, it's about following the team concept.

Therrien's also talked to Emelin about this, which is why you generally don't see Emelin going after players anymore.

He doesn't want players taking runs at guys, while taking themselves out of position and putting the team in jeopardy.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:43 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Some people just find it weird to blame a player for taking a phantom penalty on an innocuous play. Most of the people screaming bloody murder about it hadn't even seen the replay yet. Sounds like scapegoating to me.
See, this is the problem. It wasn't an innocuous play - it was an unnecessary one. That's life with P.K. though - 9 games out of 10 you take the good and the other game you take the bad. We'd all like to see him improve his decision making so that things like his penalty tonight don't happen anymore, but it's part of the learning process. In the mean time, there's nothing wrong with calling a poor decision a poor decision.

Anyway I just got back from the game...we definitely deserved better. The first was horrid but overall the team played great until the end. Some individual thoughts

-Gionta, Galchenyuk and Subban must have missed a combined 900 shots tonight. Gionta in particular was his usual blackhole self until he got robbed at the end of the game.

-Desharnais was pretty bad tonight, lousy on the first two Sabres goals. Really needs to be held more accountable for his play in his own zone.

-Gallagher was amazing and kickstarted everything for his line, which was looking pretty quiet until the shift where they scored.

-Eller is just on a level we've never consistently seen from him before. Special player.

-Emelin mishandled just about every puck that came near him tonight.

-Tinordi played really well. Missed his debut so this was my first look at him. Always been a fan of his and I'm hoping for the best.

-Ryder looked particularly sluggish tonight. I hate him and Gionta on the same line - both guys have the creativity of cinder blocks.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:45 PM
ottawa
go habs go

vCash: 0
People are complaining more than they should, the habs have 30 out of 36 points in their last 18 games, who would have thought this could be a possibility for this team this year. They slept during the first half of the game, these are things that every team does. Subban (could have been anybody) took a very unnecessary penalty in OT which cost us a point, but hey, that happens to every team once in a while. In the grand scheme of things, this team is going great, but lets all hope the little flaws this team and some players have are diminished come playoff time, this team still has plenty time to get it together and they hopefully will. Maybe I'm just being too optimistic though

03-19-2013, 11:49 PM
Koss

Send a message via MSN to Koss
Here's something postive. On Buffalo's PP with the game tied and 2:30 left in the game, they entire PK units played amazing, including Subban. Price also came up with two great saves there. It was the best team play I've seen from the Habs all year. Everyone was doing their job to a tee.

Koss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:50 PM
InglewoodJack

Bad game, but they came back and got the point. Whatever. Boston lost. We'll win next game anyways.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:51 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
See, this is the problem. It wasn't an innocuous play - it was an unnecessary one. That's life with P.K. though - 9 games out of 10 you take the good and the other game you take the bad. We'd all like to see him improve his decision making so that things like his penalty tonight don't happen anymore, but it's part of the learning process. In the mean time, there's nothing wrong with calling a poor decision a poor decision.

Anyway I just got back from the game...we definitely deserved better. The first was horrid but overall the team played great until the end. Some individual thoughts

-Gionta, Galchenyuk and Subban must have missed a combined 900 shots tonight. Gionta in particular was his usual blackhole self until he got robbed at the end of the game.

-Desharnais was pretty bad tonight, lousy on the first two Sabres goals. Really needs to be held more accountable for his play in his own zone.

-Gallagher was amazing and kickstarted everything for his line, which was looking pretty quiet until the shift where they scored.

-Eller is just on a level we've never consistently seen from him before. Special player.

-Emelin mishandled just about every puck that came near him tonight.

-Tinordi played really well. Missed his debut so this was my first look at him. Always been a fan of his and I'm hoping for the best.

-Ryder looked particularly sluggish tonight. I hate him and Gionta on the same line - both guys have the creativity of cinder blocks.
Eller really is amazing. Refs would normally call interference or something against the Sabres, but Eller just plowed through them on his way to the net. Habs better keep him long term.

People were getting on Galchenyuk's back for not producing, but I'm almost positive that almost every single one of his points this season have either been primary assists or goals. And his primary assists are usually very noticeable - as in, he makes an incredible pass that leads directly to a goal.

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:53 PM
bib
#believe

Purely judging the ref's performance in this game.

I'm not sure what was worse.

The missed 4 minute high-sticking on Chuckie.
or
The high stick call on Subban in OT.

Refs make mistakes, but what separates good refs, from great ones, are the number of mistakes made.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:55 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
People were getting on Galchenyuk's back for not producing, but I'm almost positive that almost every single one of his points this season have either been primary assists or goals.
I quickly checked and you are correct. Every single one has been a primary assist.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:00 AM
durojean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Bias and agendas are the new "classless". Sooooo subjective. Thing is, we ALL love this or that player. We are human. We are not supposed objective journalists who don't really cheer for one team or another (and even that, I don't believe it). Being biased or having agendas are just about people who for just NO reasons, hate or love a guy ('cause you could have an agenda by LOVING a guy too, it works both ways as much as people won't want to see it). But when people do try to have somewhat of an argument of why they like or dislike a guy, EVEN IF YOU, ME OR ANYBODY ELSE disagrees...doesn't make you having an agenda. It makes you having your own educated opinion on things.
Just want to point out how great of a post that is.

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:02 AM
durojean

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I don't get how Enroth is considered to have been awesome. He just stood in front of a net that for most of the game had pucks flying past it. We shot right into his chest all night. He made maybe 2-3 good saves and the save at the end with 17 secs left was terrific. That's it though. If anything, if it were Price (or any Habs goalie), he would be getting flamed for letting that lead go and if you ignore that once we went to OT, there was no play in their zone.
The 2 or 3 good saves he made are the difference between him and Price tonight. They are also the difference between a win and a lost.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 691
The only thing I'd liek to add is that Lars Eller has turned into an absolute beast and easily the most dominant player on this team when it comes to board play and puck control

If this progression continues I am afraid for other teams for waht kind of player he'll turn into

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:10 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I remember quite a few games in 07/08 where the habs were losing games late, then they would somehow squeak out 1 or two points at the very end. Its a characteristic of a quality team to pick up points when they are not playing their best.

The trick is to not put yourself in that position too often, but the habs have done it 2 games in a row. I expect a much better effort for the next one.

I also thought the high stick did not make contact with the buffalo player in OT, but the habs didn't play well for most of the night. If they played well more consistently throughout the game, they wouldn't have to be in a position where a bad call could hurt them.

So I have mixed feelings about this loss.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:15 AM
durojean

Nonetheless Habs showed a lot of character and Eller is playing better than Desharnais. Really happy we have him.

I think Armstrong really completed the line well. I even commented on that in the second.

Go Habs Go !