HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Renewing the Rivalry

Old
03-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Atlas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
You say that like Green counts for something. Holding on ever so tight to the chance he will become even half the player you believe he is. Even on his good days(borrowed time until he was hurt again) he could not make a 20 foot pass to OV on the PP. We would be better off tomorrow if he retired today.

This should not be news to anyone.

Preach it, Brother!

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:45 PM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Preach it, Brother!
How many times have we scored first and lost?

This must be the 20th time..

Can't watch the caps anymore.. Time to Tank.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:20 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Defense is not the problem with the team. Its a lack of finishers.
Defense is a huge problem. As is the lack of finishers. As is the lack of effective forecheck. As is the inability to consistently possess the puck. As is the completely ineffective PK.

The team is rife with problems, hence the Caps being in 28th place overall in the league.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:31 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

3rd game all year I watched. I'm impressed with orlesky for where he came. Crew did a good job discussing his smart little players you'd never seen from the idiot D

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:46 AM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
3rd game all year I watched. I'm impressed with orlesky for where he came. Crew did a good job discussing his smart little players you'd never seen from the idiot D
His shot fake was something Green, Carlson, and the rest of the team should take note of. Feel like I've seen it a thousand times where the opposing player goes down to block a shot and yet our guys still shoot it right into him.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:01 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Defense is a huge problem. As is the lack of finishers. As is the lack of effective forecheck. As is the inability to consistently possess the puck. As is the completely ineffective PK.

The team is rife with problems, hence the Caps being in 28th place overall in the league.
I thought possession was actually pretty good tonight (except on the 4-minute power play )

The PK is ineffective because they just give the other team the zone and then try to defend and clear.

The forecheck is absurd. The forwards are behind the net while the D are at the half line. All opposing teams have to do to beat the forecheck is chip it past the forwards and bam, they're all the way through the neutral zone because the D can't step up from where they're positioned, so they have to concede the entire neutral zone. Makes for some ugly rushes toward the Caps' net. And if there's a forward (or 2) not backchecking, it's an odd-man every time.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:51 AM
Roughing

Half full... take the Caps team on the ice last night, subtract Chim/55/Hillen and add Semin/Green/Erskine. That's a good team. Winning breads confidence. I hope Oates can bring that. I know GM is lost as is this season.

They are so young on D and in net. Problem is, even if MoJo gets it next year we'll be waiting on Fors/Kuz/Wilson and Ribs won't be here. Rebuild or trade for a couple good vets. This mix doesn't work at all.

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:33 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 714
I am pissed we lost. Shades of the lame duck PP versus NYR emerge... almost.

It was a great night to move up in the standings. **** next year. George will remain in charge, so expect next year to be the same or worse. I think it will be clear next year, that this year and its fragile flawed team gives us a better chance to get into the playoffs, over next years.

All the holes you see this year will be there next year. 1LD, a hole at 2C will re-emerge in all likelihood. Our Gs will still be young. Sarge will still be the priority, but the other Dmen will still be learning. quickly shown up by a callup. Green will miss half the games, same stuff. And our division is going to cause us much pain.

At least Oleksy continues to show well. He has been on for a ton of goals of late, but not in glaring gaffes of his sole doing. And he is making the other Dmen look very very limited in what they bring to the table. Its kind of sad and exposes George's lame duck defense even more, that a career minor leaguer nobody is showing better then our core. It was no big deal for Nyco to show well when our defense was a complete joke. This is George's Cup defense now, that he is showing up. It's not fighting either, it's just basic stuff. Shooting. Passing, Hitting. Engaging. Smart crisp first pass. Hustling. At least trying to bring a complete game, and showing flashes of one.

Sure am glad collagen lips hit the post.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 03-20-2013 at 08:56 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Atlas

It would've been nice to beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh just to see the Pittsburgh children aged 10 and under go home crying and unhappy.

But a 2-1 loss to this Pens team is about as good as it gets for us. The Pens were probably taking it easy, saving themselves for the rest of the week. Oates is at least ok--he doesn't have good personnel so it's hard to tell what he'd do with a legit contender.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:17 AM
g00n
Global Moderator
(ง︡'-'︠)ง

It looked like an NHL '94 video game out there for the Pens. Just streak up the right side and fling the puck through the slot, hoping for a one-timer. Is that just the Pens default style, or are teams gameplanning the Caps, maybe due to weak backchecking or seeing something the d-men aren't doing (positioning, lift-checks, etc)?

If you're scoring maybe 1 goal a game, on lucky bounces and wide open nets, defense isn't your only problem.

There is no longer a feeling of "we're building something special here". That ship has sailed. The Caps are now just another hockey team with a mix of old and new.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:41 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Defense is not the problem with the team. Its a lack of finishers.

Not a problem as they don't play defense well at all? Head scratcher statement.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:48 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Oh, and Ovechkin pisses me off on the power play. Every time he's even remotely pressured he either blindly flings it across the seam or blindly rings it around the boards. Either way, if a defender comes within 2 miles of him it's a clear pretty much every time. It's like he can't pass on his backhand back to the point. Instead, he has to do the full turn from shooting angle to passing angle, nearly 180.

And when the point man has to pass it slightly above his spot because of the D getting in the lanes, he doesn't start to skate up until the pass is already made, so he never handles it cleanly, which usually results in a clear, and always results in killing the puck movement and rhythm as well.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:01 AM
g00n
Global Moderator
(ง︡'-'︠)ง

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Oh, and Ovechkin pisses me off on the power play. Every time he's even remotely pressured he either blindly flings it across the seam or blindly rings it around the boards. Either way, if a defender comes within 2 miles of him it's a clear pretty much every time. It's like he can't pass on his backhand back to the point. Instead, he has to do the full turn from shooting angle to passing angle, nearly 180.

And when the point man has to pass it slightly above his spot because of the D getting in the lanes, he doesn't start to skate up until the pass is already made, so he never handles it cleanly, which usually results in a clear, and always results in killing the puck movement and rhythm as well.

These are things we mostly overlooked for years because Ovechkin's goal production outweighed the negatives. Now it's zero sum or worse, like what happened vs the Rangers.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:26 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
I got the local feed, that is Joe B and Locker and not the national feed with Pierre in the box and Milbury between periods. Just curious who said what about Olesky and what other comments were made about the Caps or certain Caps players. No need to tell me the obvious, the slurp job regarding Crosby.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:00 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

They praised his body presence on Sid, they praised his fake shot/lateral move/then shot on net. Then also another D play. Just talked about how he makes subtle vet moves.

WRT to the slurp fest. Not much until the boy beater Milbury went on a post game rant of Sid vs Ovi. They praised Sid's assist on the GWG as if it was some brilliant play. Passing to high slot and then driving the net by splitting the D is a basic play. Yet they slurped on it. But I do agree that Ovi would have likely held onto puck and shot himself instead of using his teammates. The fact that Ovi's been trained and allowed to be dumb for so many years because of his goal scoring doesn't make sid's simple play some extravagent level of brilliance.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Liberati0n*

Quote:
They praised his body presence on Sid
Is Oleksy not big enough to qualify for "big body presence"?

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote